Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pamela Izevbekhai - Should She Be Deported?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,104 ✭✭✭✭djpbarry

lego wrote: »
    You've really hit the nail on the head here. And it does matter, and you know it.
    No, I don't know why it matters. Please enlighten me.
    Pretty much all who are not deported are given leave to remain on other grounds...
    Evidence?

This post has been deleted.
    Do I indeed?
    Life in Ireland, she says, is difficult, particularly given her comfortable upbringing in Nigeria. She had a job as a banking executive, while her husband worked in business. They had a nice house, three cars - a Jeep, an Opel and a Mazda - two maids, and all three children went to either private creches or schools.
    http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/weekend/2008/1122/1227288132612.html

I don't know anyone living on welfare in this country with a lifestyle like that.
    Here you go. [7 MB PDF document]
    So unemployment among Nigerians is 31%, rather than the 62% figure you were implying? So the majority of Nigerians are NOT unemployed?
    I suggest you read up on what rent allowance actually is.
    I can’t, but as I’ve already said, I think it’s totally irrelevant. I’m not sure what you think you’re proving here?
    You’re continued assertion that Ireland has a “generous welfare system” is laughable. Why don’t you try living on welfare for a while and let me know how you get on? I had to do it myself for a short time a few years ago and it was not a pleasant experience.

Anyway, could you explain in what way Ms. Izevbekhai’s “tale” is “trumped-up”?
    Er, maybe because they were fleeing in fear of their lives? Or are you admitting that there is often an economic motive in "seeking asylum"?
    An asylum seeker is obviously going to apply for asylum in a wealthy county if they have the means to get there, especially if there are kids involved. If you were fleeing Nigeria, would you pop over the border to Cameroon (as most Nigerian asylum seekers do) or would you use the resources available to you and try and get a bit further afield to Ireland, UK, Germany, US , Canada or wherever? I don’t think it’s a coincidence that a large percentage (relative to other nationalities) of Nigerians working in this country are trained professionals (according to the CSO document you linked to).

KingSitric wrote: »
    Nigeria is touting itself as a leader in modern Africa.
    The US refers to itself as “the leader of the free world”; doesn’t make it so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 KingSitric

djpbarry wrote: »
    The US refers to itself as “the leader of the free world”; doesn’t make it so.

But we're not talking about the US. We're talking about Nigeria and a particular case of illegal asylum here.
    My argument is that we need to switch this around, and think out of the box. Pamela Izevbekhai can be a beacon of hope to Africans in Africa. Irish aid agencies and NGO's should be jumping at the chance to support her in her own country, and make the Nigerian government live up to its obligations and promises.

• Registered Users Posts: 650 ✭✭✭blackiebest

I know Pamela, and reading this thread is really hard, imagine your good friend being discussed in such a way. Her kids are a delight and are a sight for weary eyes seeing how natural Irish life is for them. I said in a different forum that I am ashamed to be Irish if she is deported, her kids are forced to face what can only be a childs worst horror, the fear of what could happen! I mean it to my bone marrow.

All of you who have posted here could have a very different opinion if you knew her and knew her circumstances, how she interacts with people, her intelect and her amazing aura. She is a very proud African woman who, for right or wrong, ended up here with her daughters almost five years ago. I believe that fate will decide that she will stay here, be it from a court, a system or some slight of chance and that her story will become a becon, she will continue to generate debate, stimulate opinions etc. This is good, for us, as a country and as a nation.

It will be the wrong decision if this lady is taken from Sligo and deported.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

So unemployment among Nigerians is 31%, rather than the 62% figure you were implying? So the majority of Nigerians are NOT unemployed?
    I .

And to save others PDF pain......
    Page 38 wrote:
    The percentage of Nigerians aged 15 or over at
    work in 2006 was the lowest of all groups featured
    at 38 per cent, though this splits unevenly between
    males (50%) and females (30%). In comparison
    with the other nationalities profiled, a relatively high
    number were unemployed or looking for their first
    job (31%). About one in five females was looking
    after the home and 17 per cent were students. The
    dominant industry was health and social work; one
    in five was working as a professional.
    Among the top occupations were care assistants
    and attendants (11%), security guards (7%), sales
    assistants (7%) and doctors (6%).

The split therefore refers to the total Nigerian population over 15, not excluding those in fulltime education or home makers.[/LEFT]

• Registered Users Posts: 3,032 ✭✭✭ParkRunner

An asylum seeker is obviously going to apply for asylum in a wealthy county if they have the means to get there, especially if there are kids involved. If you were fleeing Nigeria, would you pop over the border to Cameroon (as most Nigerian asylum seekers do) or would you use the resources available to you and try and get a bit further afield to Ireland, UK, Germany, US , Canada or wherever? I don’t think it’s a coincidence that a large percentage (relative to other nationalities) of Nigerians working in this country are trained professionals (according to the CSO document you linked to).

Why not apply for a visa so and come here legally?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

• Registered Users Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭hellboy99

All of you who have posted here could have a very different opinion if you knew her and knew her circumstances, how she interacts with people, her intelect and her amazing aura.
    We don't and we don't know if whatever circumstances she has back home are true or not.
    At the end of the day we have rules here in place, we just can't go and disregard them in this deportation case or in any other case, it would just be a total mockery of the system in place here, it will send out the wrong message and open the flood gates for anybody to come to this country.

• Advertisement

KingSitric wrote: »
    My argument is that we need to switch this around, and think out of the box. Pamela Izevbekhai can be a beacon of hope to Africans in Africa. Irish aid agencies and NGO's should be jumping at the chance to support her in her own country, and make the Nigerian government live up to its obligations and promises.
    You think aid agencies are not doing this already?

EF wrote: »
    Why not apply for a visa so and come here legally?
    Because that would be a temporary arrangement?

So everyone in Nigeria earns exactly $2,100 per annum? You don’t think it’s in any way possible that Ms. Izevbekhai earned far more than that?
    No, of course you were not. Let’s just say you were being rather selective with statistics.
    Straw man. I was comparing a good life in Nigeria (which apparently does not exist, according to you) to a bad life here.
    Ah yes, you mean the cries of “LIAR, LIAR!”
    I might if that figure was in any way accurate. As of 2005, the UNHCR reports that Ireland had 589 Nigerian refugees. If only 0.01% of Nigerian asylum applicants were successfully recognised as refugees, that would mean that as of 2005, Ireland received a grand total of 5.89 MILLION applications from Nigerian nationals. Now, you think maybe that 0.01% figure you keep throwing around may be an ever so slight underestimate?
    That term gets thrown around so much these days it’s lost all meaning.

Oh, and you didn’t answer my question: Cameroon or Ireland; which would you opt for?
    Seems a lot of posters on here are allowing their prejudice against Nigerians to cloud their judgment.
    According to Amnesty International, the Nigerian authorities are not exactly up to the task.

In the US, the threat of FGM is often accepted as a basis for asylum:
    FGM As Future Persecution. An asylum applicant must demonstrate that he is unable to avail himself of the protection of his country because of “persecution or a well-founded fear of persecution.” FGM is recognized by most federal circuits and the BIA as a form of persecution. The BIA, for example, has characterized FGM as a form of “sexual oppression ... to ensure male dominance and exploitation,” practiced in order to “overcome sexual characteristics of young women ... who have not been, and do not wish to be, subjected to FGM.” Therefore, if an asylum applicant successfully shows a well-founded fear of FGM if she returns to her home country, that alone would satisfy the well-founded fear element of an asylum claim.

Some asylum applicants have also made the argument that they have a well-founded fear of persecution based on the fear that a daughter will suffer FGM upon arrival at the applicant’s home country. Several federal circuits seem to at least implicitly accept this proposition. The BIA has, however, rejected an argument proposed by a childless applicant who based her asylum claim on the fear that her future, unborn daughters may suffer FGM, classifying this fear as too speculative to be well-founded.
    http://ftp.fas.org/sgp/crs/misc/RS22810.pdf

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

Oh, and you didn’t answer my question: Cameroon or Ireland; which would you opt for?

....the question known in phillosophical circles as 'Dunphys Dilemma'.

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭lego

No, I don't know why it matters. Please enlighten me.
    Evidence?

Travelling through other safe countries first is not the behaviour of someone who is in fear for their lives, it is the behaviour of someone looking for a soft touch country.

Asylum seekers who are refused refugee status don't just vanish into thin air, and they are not deported. What do you think happens to them?

Granted, a fairly large proportion become illegal immigrants (What they were anyway, considering the result of their applications) but not a majority. The rest are granted exceptional leave to remain or get residency on a scam such as the fake marriage to an EU national scam.

http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_qn4161/is_/ai_n12849319

http://catholic-perspective.blogspot.com/2008/09/up-to-900-failed-asylum-seekers-have.html

Indeed it is, but you said "Per capita income in Nigeria is $2,100."
    Of course it's possible.
    Great. So we've established that it's possible that she may be telling the truth. That's a good start.
    If I recall correctly (I'll try and dig out the article I read about this - it was a couple of years ago), she attempted to relocate within Nigeria after the birth of her two daughters, but her husband's family found her. She then decided it was necessary to leave the country.
    That's some nice twisting of the facts to suit your argument.
    No you wouldn't and you know it. Given a straight choice between Cameroon and Ireland, just about everyone on this forum would pick Ireland every time.
    :rolleyes: Unbelievable.
    Oh, we’re not talking about other countries now? You were when it suited your argument to do so.

Travelling through other safe countries first is not the behaviour of someone who is in fear for their lives, it is the behaviour of someone looking for a soft touch country.
    So you think that because of Ireland’s geographical location, we should not be receiving any asylum applications? How likely do you think is that other EU states would be happy with such a situation?
    Asylum seekers who are refused refugee status don't just vanish into thin air, and they are not deported. What do you think happens to them?
    Some leave voluntarily. Some are deported. Some remain illegally (and are most likely exploited by Irish employers). This is going off-topic into the subject of illegal immigration and human trafficking.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 153 ✭✭veronica

Enough is Enough it's time to close down our borders and put in place a Visa system like other countries.It's time to give Ireland back to the Irish.We are far too concerned about other countries image abroad always giving aid to others but no supporting for our own like Simon Community ISPCC Rape Crisis etc., I am sick of these tv and radio ads for to support others abroad and if u speak of this of course u are a Racist but I see my self a realist....send her back home and stop wasting taxpayers money.How many countries this she pass over to get here!

Yes, I read what you wrote, which basically amounted to "My argument is not a racist one, but don't get me started on those Nigerians." You're generalising based on nationality (not very accurate generalisations, might I add) and you are basing your opinion of Ms. Pamela Izevbekhai on those generalisations.

You seem to have be having a great deal of difficulty in accepting that an unsuccessful asylum application is not necessarily a "bogus" one.
    I'm not sure what you're getting at here? You're jumping from asylum seekers to immigrants?
    How so?
    Really? The courts don't seem to think so.

Is this not precisely what I (and others) have argued throughout this thread?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19 balanced view

The whole refugee system is geared to provide protection to those and only those who are deserving and fulfill certain criteria. It is not about entering a country legally or illegally. This doesn't matter in refugee cases and anyone fleeing persecution does not alway have the time or facilities to do everything legally.
    The whole point of this case is providing safety and protection to 2 little infant girls and their mother.
    I think anyone who is actually fully aware of all the facts and risks facing the 3 applicants would have no hestitation in providing those protections

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement