Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pamela Izevbekhai - Should She Be Deported?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭Sizzler

I have to say this case is a real farce and is blood boiling that the system can be exploited and perpetually challenged over such a prolonged period.

Its laughable that the state has spent such an obscene money on a woman who plainly has no right to be here and has more run appeals than the telethon and yet still refuses to accept them :confused: The whole FGM reasoning (unfortunate as it is) is a bit of a one trick pony and seems to go for the bleeding heart brigade angle and unfortunately a lot of people are getting sucked in by it. a) Its an African cultural symbol, its not Irelands problem. b) The likelyhood of Pamela and her children being tracked down just to perform FGM as soon as they return is highly unlikely. Its being made out to be like there is some sort of FGM gestapo waiting to pounce on every corner. c) There are NUMEROUS other countries on the African contintent that would not pursue FGM I am sure but yet they were never considered.

I really cant see the likes of the USA entertaining such a tale for being granted asylum and full welfare benefits. Why? Because they have a credible system. Ireland is seen as a soft touch. The stories mentioned already about her husband being "found out" and the whole lifestyle thing back in Nigeria really doesnt make this case any more pallatable.

The system should not be expended to such extremes and this appears to be another "Kunle" case all over again and we know what happened with that goodwill gesture.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,307 ✭✭✭T runner

Big_Mac wrote: »
    After all, its not like she is going to be the one who pays the bill for this.

Nope, that will be her children if we deport them to the "protection" of the Nigerian police and courts.

Did Ronald MacDonald tell you that one too?
    Sizzler wrote: »
    I have to say this case is a real farce and is blood boiling that the system can be exploited and perpetually challenged over such a prolonged period.

How was the system exploited exactly? She was entitled to everyappearance in court.
    The whole FGM reasoning (unfortunate as it is) is a bit of a one trick pony and seems to go for the bleeding heart brigade angle and unfortunately a lot of people are getting sucked in by it.

So she chose FGM to go for the bleeding heart angle. Her daughter died from FGM! Thats no trick.

FYI, The USA have a far more reasonable policy towards FGM than Europe. Some American courts consider a woman who has undergone FGM as being permanently persecuted by her state due to the permanent resultant physical problems.

Ms Izevbekhai, a former banking executive married to a businessman, claims that she had a nice house, three cars, and two maids back in Lagos. Her children attended a private creche and a private school. Hailing from the higher echelons of the African socioeconomic spectrum, the Izevbekhai girls are at little risk of dying from malaria, dysentery, or starvation.

They are here because the Nigerian state cannot protect them from FGM (not malaria of dysentry.)

The money that has been spent on Ms Izevbekhai's asylum odyssey over the past four years could, if donated to charity, have been used to save many thousands of children's lives, rather than to protect the clitorises of two girls from the alleged threat of mutilation. There are real humanitarian issues here, but I'm a pragmatist, and I don't think spending millions every year on asylum cases is the answer to the woes of Africa.[/

So you are suggesting that Ireland withdraw from the Geneva Convention on human rights? Why dont we try and obey the Geneva convention and also help Africas woes in other ways. Big contributor to African charity are you?

Heres a way to protect Africans. Grant her asylum and announce that Nigeria cannot protect its citizens. Im sure the 10000 Nigerian refugees who were beaten from the Delta Provence by Esso, Shell etc and their henchmen the Nigerian Police Force (The boys who will be protecting the Izenbejhais) will thank Ireland from saying something that should have been said long ago.

I notice an emotive argument from you, a type of argument you so condemned when being made by some of her supporters.

I also note that you previously stated that she was an "economic migrant" and this was infact your "argument all along". When you previously attacked her for having left wealth in Nigeria I pointed out the contradiction.
    You then, rather amusingly, stated that she had in fact made up all the stories about her wealth and was indeed an economic migrant. Have we reverted back to believing her now atleast in this respect? i.e She is no longer an economic migrant in your eyes?
    By the time we get to that stage, her daughters will be married women with daughters of their own—and then we'll have to start all over again. . . .

Apart from being guttural rubbish the delay in this case is not the Izenbekhais
    fault. It is the fault of the Irish asylum system.
    I agree donegal fella and it is unclear to me why so many on the left fall over themselves to help the most able africans to join a comprador class rather than remaining at home where they would be most use.

The reason she is here is to protect her daughters against FGM. The fact that I for one think she should not be deported is because I believe her daughters will be hurt when they return to Nigeria. (I have no doubt she will be asaulted by her Nigerian police "protectors" also). I think that they qualify for asylum because the threat is real and there are no state protections available in Nigeria to protect them.

Do you believe she should be deported because you are on the right?
    (Its good to know the motivations behind peoples opinions so you know how seriously to take them.)

T-Runner -

Perhaps you would like to put up Pamela and support her 3 kids since you feel so strongly about the issue as the Irish state has decided (numerous times already) that she cant stay, but seeing as you are so supportive....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7 annam

I am very much impressed with everyone's argument's on this case.

I just hope that for a few minutes we could all just take ourselves away from our cosy little lives and country, away from our priviledge of being born into a rather safe country. Before judging and deciding.

In any case like this, on any side of the argument, I disgust at people protecting their selfish selves and disown a problem because we find no reason why we should help.

I hope your all not going to church on Sunday's too. Its our Job as human kind to protect our human population and whatever it takes.

When your chips are down and your luck is out. I hope someone comes to help you & if not should I care or choose to not care......

Anyway, all i want to say is, this lady's situation is rough, and if you have nothing good to say then probably best to stay quiet and continue living your privileged life with a new found conciousness that you live in a safe country & stop wasting your time writing selfish drivel on this blog.

regards

• Registered Users Posts: 17 Swords driver

annam wrote: »
    Anyway, all i want to say is, this lady's situation is rough, and if you have nothing good to say then probably best to stay quiet and continue living your privileged life with a new found conciousness that you live in a safe country & stop wasting your time writing selfish drivel on this blog.

And therein lays the problem with any discussion concerning such topics, just dismiss the opposing view as drivel and selfish, cease to participate in our democracy and go away and accept whatever real or imagined misfortune the world throws our way. FMG is WRONG, fake asylum claims are WRONG, parents allowing children to be subjected to torture is WRONG, the free courts of our democracy have ruled on this case and everyone who is a citizen of this country is bound to accept the courts ruling. the case is closed for now.

annam wrote: »
    stop wasting your time writing selfish drivel on this blog.
    +1 A classic case of someone not taking their own advice.

Seriously,

do you honestly expect me after what I have said previously to take any of your concerns into my consideration of the argument.

• Advertisement

BTW,

There's no need to get all up-tight about my opinion, I just wanted to shed a different shade of light on the situation from all the so called wrongs and the rights.

Its odd the way no one has been clever enough to see the good in what I was trying to say. Funny the way you all have to reply with your defence mechanisms to the ready. Just exactly what I should have expected I guess..........

• Registered Users Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

As far as I can see very few are taking any issue with annam`s points about the essential goodness of human life etc.

However,annam chooses to use his/her strong belief in this essence to berate those who,whilst also being human,do not share the all encompassing burning desire to demonstrate it to all comers without question.

Debate on the Izevbekhai case has progressed on so many fronts on Boards.ie and every other media outlet.

However,even after the very professional and widespread campaigns put forward on her behalf by her "supporters" Ms Izevbekhai`s case has been struck down.

This situation is not occurring on some arcane legal technality beyond the ken of ordinary folk.
    It is only after Her case has been heard and re-heard by a wide cross section of our highest and most respected judiciary in a totally open and free manner.

Whether WE should now disregard all of the benefits of this Legal system and instead rely upon the judgement of a Minister for Justice who continues to be the target of substantial emotive "Let Pamela Stay" PR machine is another question altogether.

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 318 ✭✭rkeane

Its looking very much like Pamela will be gone within months, the ECHR will take on board the fact that she has lost absolutely every case she has put forward. They will also see that she has NO new "evidence"....in essence, she's fecked.

BTW in these recessionary times, I know of a pilot willing to fly them back for free.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,485 ✭✭✭sovtek

Actually she has two daughters to lose.

Sizzler wrote: »
    T-Runner -

Perhaps you would like to put up Pamela and support her 3 kids since you feel so strongly about the issue as the Irish state has decided (numerous times already) that she cant stay, but seeing as you are so supportive....

Is this the kind of "rational argument" you give the thumbs up to Donegalfella?

Oh yeah, good one Sizzler-ya got me!

Then pull out of the relevant international treaties that bind Ireland to such duties.
    Maybe Germany and France should then ask for the several billion they gave to Ireland over the years...not to mention the 100million they are set to give Ireland.

• Advertisement

rkeane wrote: »

BTW in these recessionary times, I know of a pilot willing to fly them back for free.

Maybe on your way you can pick up your 50,000 fellow countrymen that are illegal across the pond. .

Initially your courts dont seem to "buy" any asylum seekers argument...hence the need to "not take no for an answer" and "bankrupting" your country (because it's those evil asylum seekers that are the problem and not the poor little bank CEO's and highly competant/honest politicians)...or so you say.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 318 ✭✭rkeane

sovtek wrote: »
    Initially your courts dont seem to "buy" any asylum seekers argument...hence the need to "not take no for an answer" and "bankrupting" your country (because it's those evil asylum seekers that are the problem and not the poor little bank CEO's and highly competant/honest politicians)...or so you say.

Initially???? This woman has lost every single case....she hasn't a hope of staying in this country. Mark my words, she will be out of here this year.

Its looking very much like Pamela will be gone within months, the ECHR will take on board the fact that she has lost absolutely every case she has put forward. They will also see that she has NO new "evidence"....in essence, she's fecked.

You also knew of a lawyer who swore shed be gone before christmas! Maybe advise your pilot not to fly near large cities or to park his plane into mountains.

Initially???? This woman has lost every single case....she hasn't a hope of staying in this country. Mark my words, she will be out of here this year.

You marked your words for last year too!

Maybe they'll come over to thank us in person, and file for asylum while they're here! Once we've established the legal precedent that the Nigerian police cannot protect anyone from anything, we've established a de facto precedent that no Nigerian can ever be refused asylum in our country.

I thought we were past this.... To be eligable for asylum you need to have a well founded fear of prosecution, where the home country cannot protect you. Saying a countries police cannot protect you is NOT grounds for asylum.

The people in question have only got their legs to walk to Cameroon to camps. They wont be seen in Ireland.

I don't believe her, as a matter of fact. But I was citing her stated claims about herself and her former life, which most people seem not to have questioned.

So shes an economic migrant again?

No, it's the fault of a state-funded woman who won't take "no" for an answer, even after four years. And why should she? She has nothing to lose.

Can anyone here hold up their hand and say they wouldnt do exactly as shes done to protect her children from torture or death?

If anyone would then tell me what you would tell the children? "sorry your going to suffer and die, but Im not going to appeal it because some people mightened like it?" Get real

Know also that you must have reasonable grounds for going to High court etc. The powers that be thought she had reasonable grounds to fight her case.
    The High Court—yet again—decided today that Ms Izevbekhai has no case.

As it does with every asylum case before it in our system, no news there.

No, I believe she should be deported because the Minister for Justice signed her deportation order over three years ago, and because no court in the land has found a single reason since then why she should be allowed to stay.

Because no court will overturn the "expert" RATs erroneous decision that protections are adequate in Nigeria.

No need to do that Sovtek, this has been explained clearly to this poster already.

• Advertisement

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement