Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pamela Izevbekhai - Should She Be Deported?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

There`s a rather sudden ominous silence on this thread.

From my perspective this may indicate a gathering of the forces in advance of a new Media Driven thrust to put Ms Izevbekhai back in the public eye.

Any word ???

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,032 ✭✭✭ParkRunner

AlekSmart wrote: »
    There`s a rather sudden ominous silence on this thread.

From my perspective this may indicate a gathering of the forces in advance of a new Media Driven thrust to put Ms Izevbekhai back in the public eye.

Any word ???

I think all avenues for Pamela at this time are exhausted! She has got nowhere with her latest campaigns. Once she has lost in the ECtHR she and her supporters will be on every prime time show and probably in court again. Watch this space.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 991 ✭✭✭Big_Mac

Its interesting that no one from the Let her stay side is voicing their opinions anymore. They were defeated at every point.

I wonder if they realised that their groundless arguements won't wash with people and they've given up the ghost?

• Registered Users Posts: 361 ✭✭HollyB

Big_Mac wrote: »
    I wonder if they realised that their groundless arguements won't wash with people and they've given up the ghost?

Or else the focus is on write-in campaigns to the Minister. If the case fails, then there will be renewed calls for him to use his discretion and grant leave to remain, with the magic words; "a special case" or even "a very special case" being used ad nauseum to justify special treatment being meted out, should the Izevbekhai family fail, after umpteen challenges, to successfully make a case for asylum or subsidiary protection.

Expect more articles focusing on the two daughters, with emphasis on Sligo being home and emotive language.

• Advertisement

To paraphrase another towering figure of recent Irish Democratic history....."They have`nt gone away,you know"

I am fairly confident that,as HollyB points out, a high profile campaign to thwart the failure of the latest Legal challenge is on the blocks.

For this to succeed the prerequsite`s will most certainly be an increased profile for the Izevbekhai children and the Sligo is their home connection.

As has been alluded to by other posters,the lethemstay campaign has some well travelled campaigners on board and these folks are not of the sort to accept any legal defeat lying down.

The media campaign is the most likely avenue associated with some form of quasi polictical campaign to frustrate,yet again,the laws of the land.

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

• Registered Users Posts: 650 ✭✭✭blackiebest

Not quiet, I was away for a few days. That you are so smug, a detraction imo of your otherwise obvious intellect, as to suggest and associate my very independant view of Pamela's case with someone else on here is somthing you should reflect on.

You know very well that although you can hail the law and recent judgements there is a very large, intelligent, well read and logically thinking section of society who feel that Pamela and her kids should be allowed to stay in Sligo. I hope that when Pamela is afforded, by whatever legal means, right to remain here then you will accept her as a member of our society and be less smug when voicing your opinions.

As has been alluded to by other posters,the lethemstay campaign has some well travelled campaigners on board and these folks are not of the sort to accept any legal defeat lying down.

And after you finish telling me what sort I am shall Itell you what sort you are.

HollyB wrote: »
    Expect more articles focusing on the two daughters, with emphasis on Sligo being home and emotive language.

Should her daughters not be referred to? "The" two daughters are named Naomi and Jemima and have been in school in Sligo for over four years, are you suggesting that this fact should be ignored? If, as I imagine, you feel that this is not something which should be highlighted then I ask why not? It is a fact and we should consider all the facts.

• Advertisement

Should her daughters not be referred to? "The" two daughters are named Naomi and Jemima and have been in school in Sligo for over four years, are you suggesting that this fact should be ignored? If, as I imagine, you feel that this is not something which should be highlighted then I ask why not? It is a fact and we should consider all the facts.

The fact is that the children wouldn't be in school in Sligo now had their mother complied with Irish law and presented herself to the authorities as required for deportation. Instead she broke immigration legislation and evaded her deportation, which will now make it even more difficult for her 2 daughters to re-adjust to life back in Nigeria where education to junior secondary level (from six to 15 years of age) is free and compulsory.

And after you finish telling me what sort I am shall Itell you what sort you are

Nope,I`m not in the least interested in typecasting anybody,although you`re welcome to do whatever profiling on me that you feel will better explain my opinions.

I was simply referring to my being made aware by you of the existence of a very experienced Amnesty International personage on the Lethemstay campaigns top-table.
    I am very friendly with the one person who has really hi-lighted this case and been a driver in garnering support both nationally and locally. This person would have been instrumental in, for example, introducing her case to the political parties, ECHR etc. This person has, since I have known him (long time now) been a member of Amnesty international

I`m certainly not telling you what sort of person you are no more than you were`nt telling me what sort of person the AmnestyMan is..?

• Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭opo

I hope that when Pamela is afforded, by whatever legal means, right to remain here then you will accept her as a member of our society and be less smug when voicing your opinions.

When? :eek:

I would think if - more like it.

I trust Pamela will be as welcome in our society as she is in her own - which, after all, translates into nothing particularily tangible.

No more than I am sure you feel, you would be made to feel "accepted", in Nigeria, if you were inexplicably there and you also enjoyed the fruits of your prospectives neighbours largesse, whether you actually merited it, or not and whether you were a liar and cheat - or not.

Originally Posted by blackiebest
    Should her daughters not be referred to?

Of course they should be referred to and I`m relatively certain that they are being referred to in almost every post about Ms Izevbekhai....In fact this entire topic is about the Izevbekhai FAMILY and the actions of the Adult members of it.

I`m just wondering how the relative positions of the Republic of Ireland and the Republic of Nigeria are now stacking up following a fortnight of somewhat frenitic activity here at home ?

As it currently stands I would think Irelands attractiveness as a port of call is slipping fast ?

Or am I mistaken ?

The number of economic migrants who come in the guise of refugees are certainly dropping off as can be seen from the ORAC figures. The US Dept of State released their latest Human Rights Report on Nigeria recently too..nothing really new regarding FGM but the practice does seem to be in decline as education about the issue spreads.

http://www.state.gov/g/drl/rls/hrrpt/2008/af/119018.htm

The NDHS estimated that 19 percent of females had been subjected to FGM, although the incidence had declined steadily in recent years. While practiced in all parts of the country, FGM was much more prevalent in the southern region among the Yoruba and Igbo. Women from northern states were less likely to undergo the most severe type of FGM, infibulation. The age at which women and girls were subjected to the practice varied from the first week of life until after a woman delivered her first child; however, three-quarters of the NDHS 2003 survey respondents who had undergone FGM had been subjected to it before their first birthday.

The federal government publicly opposed FGM but took no legal action to curb the practice. Because of the considerable impediments that anti-FGM groups faced at the federal level, most refocused their energies on combating the practice at the state and local levels. Bayelsa, Edo, Ogun, Cross River, Osun, and Rivers states banned FGM. However, once a state legislature criminalized FGM, NGOs found that they had to convince the local government area authorities that state laws were applicable in their districts. The Ministry of Health, women's groups, and many NGOs sponsored public awareness projects to educate communities about the health hazards of FGM. They worked to eradicate the practice, but financial and logistical obstacles limited their contact with health care workers on the harmful effects of FGM.

During the year there were no known prosecutions resulting from a 2005 Osun State law intended to punish persons who encouraged FGM. The law criminalizes the removal of any part of a sexual organ from a woman or girl, except for medical reasons approved by a doctor. According to the provisions of the law, an offender is any female who offers herself for FGM; any person who coerces, entices, or induces any female to undergo FGM; and any person who other than for medical reasons performs an operation removing part of a woman or girl's sexual organs. The law provides for a fine of 50,000 naira (approximately $385), one year's imprisonment, or both for a first offense, and doubled penalties for a second conviction.

FGM often resulted in obstetrical fistula (a tearing of the vaginal area as a result of prolonged, obstructed labor without timely medical intervention) during childbirth as scar tissue from the cutting often opens and tears. Additionally, women who suffered from fistula were often victims of other forms of abuse and neglect. The three delays that caused most fistulas were: delay in seeking care; delay in reaching a health facility; and delay in receiving care. Overcoming the first two delays in many Nigerian homes is dependent on the husband or male relative permitting the women to seek skilled care and providing resources for transportation. Most fistulas resulted in the death of the baby and chronic incontinence in the woman. The social consequences of fistula included physical and emotional isolation, abandonment or divorce, ridicule and shame, infertility, lack of economic support, and the risk of violence and abuse. Fistula sufferers were often abandoned or neglected by their husbands and families and ostracized by their communities. Without treatment, prospects for work and family life were greatly diminished and the women were often left to rely on charity.

Almost a month now and nary a mention of the Izevbekhai case.

Is this indicative of a loss of impetus from the "Let them stay" campaign or is it perhaps due to Ireland Teo`s somewhat lesser attractiveness as a "Location" these days ?

Or is it a slow moving ECHR system ?

Almost a month now and nary a mention of the Izevbekhai case.

Is this indicative of a loss of impetus from the "Let them stay" campaign or is it perhaps due to Ireland Teo`s somewhat lesser attractiveness as a "Location" these days ?

Or is it a slow moving ECHR system ?

Last I heard she launched a Supreme Court challenge in the past few weeks appealing the High Court ruling which upheld her Regulation 4(2) Subsidiary Protection refusal. No injunction is in place though, so she may have to proceed with this from outside the State.

The ECHR is backed up alright, but I imagine a ruling will be made on the admissability of her case by mid-summer. The silence from her and her supporters would leave me to believe that either she has another card up her sleeve yet to be revealed..or Sligo is being so hard hit by the recession that pouring money into a lost cause is not an option anymore.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 986 ✭✭✭ateam

Haven't read all the pages, so this might have been mentioned.

Her case was dismissed, she lost and therefore should be deported. What's so hard people to accept about that?

If we believe that we should respect people's cultures, then we have to accept that this practice does go on. We can't pick and choose the elements of cultures we want to respect.

In saying that, presumably the court decided that the story about genital mutilation was unfounded, no proof of it - therefore there's no threat.

Send her home, she is not a true asylum seeker and is infact taking up someone else's rightful position.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭opo

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/world/ireland/article5950490.ece

As per the above , I am inclined to believe that the intervention of the highest placed Nigerian officials is of course, cynical and worthless and Nigerians are actually waiting for all and any planeload of deportees with baited breath - to butcher childern as soon as possible. Presumably, as that is what ignorant, black people do.

I accept the calls of "racist" for making these uncomfortable points about black people that so called (or styled) white "anti racists" seem to thrive upon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 Rafferty444

Fact is this women is a Nigerian scam test case, she has already failed to meet every Irish apeals court for evidence and at the last minute she goes to the european court on Irish tax payers cash, she has already cost us millions in legal aid, even the Nigerian Ambassidor has said deport her that she is not under threat, the Ambassador even said she will personnaly see that this women and her kids are re housed in a safe undesclosed area in Nigeria with schooling and work.
    The fact that the nigerian Ambassador to Ireland has condemed her own people in this way should be listened to, if we even allow 1% of nigerians to enter the state that will be 1 1/2 million people on our shores, if she stays then all those people that have been deported or turned down for asylum on the basses of FGM will be able to come back at tax payers cost and fight to have the dessicion over turned, that will be more than 50,ooo nigerians from the last 10 yrs.
    More than 1 million euro per person not including the food bed and board, the clothes health and flights.
    Left wing people have no idea what they are asking this countrys people to put up with.
    For every one Nigerian like this women who is a fake there are many others around the world who really do need our help but we dont have the room or the funds to help them.
    she is being selfish, she says she worked in a bank in Nigeria, gees they must have a lot of banks there , i wonder if she knows this guy who father was king and died leaving his fortune of billions, the guy just need a bank here to transfer it over, well that cash may help the asylum bill be payed. to date the government has spent 2 billion here on asylum seekers, out of 80,000 only 9,000 have been granted ...out of 69,000 failed just 4000 have been deported in the past 10 yrs..15,000 got ressidency for an IBC mainly Nigerians.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 Rafferty444

ateam wrote: »
    Haven't read all the pages, so this might have been mentioned.

Her case was dismissed, she lost and therefore should be deported. What's so hard people to accept about that?

If we believe that we should respect people's cultures, then we have to accept that this practice does go on. We can't pick and choose the elements of cultures we want to respect.

In saying that, presumably the court decided that the story about genital mutilation was unfounded, no proof of it - therefore there's no threat.

Send her home, she is not a true asylum seeker and is infact taking up someone else's rightful position.

I think the courts ruled (all four of them) that because the FGM is not ilegal in Nigeria or here that it can not be a bases of her case, in Nigeria it is part of their culture so therefore it is not for a court in Ireland to rule wether the practise is correct or not.

She has cost several millions of our taxes already and should be deported now.

• Registered Users Posts: 784 ✭✭✭zootroid

I haven't read through this thread as it is so long. But regardless of your feelings on the case, and of the risk of her child facing FGM, if the below story is accurate, she should be long gone

http://www.independent.ie/national-news/deportation-case-mother-had-fake-baby-death-papers-inquiry-told-1688446.html
    A NIGERIAN woman who is facing deportation used forged documentation to back up claims that her first child died after being subjected to female genital mutilation, a garda investigation has been told.

Inquiries by the garda national immigration unit in Nigeria have uncovered apparent discrepancies in the case presented by Pamela Izevbekhai to the High Court and Supreme Court in Dublin and to the European Court of Human Rights.

A Nigerian obstetrician has dismissed a document, allegedly signed by him, as a forgery. He also rejected Mrs Izevbekhai's claim that she gave birth to a daughter, Elizabeth, in February 1993 and that the girl died on July 16, 1994, following female genital mutilation.

The findings represent a potentially serious blow to the prospects of Mrs Izevbekhai overturning a Supreme Court decision supporting her deportation in her appeal to the European Court of Human Rights.

Consultant

In an affidavit lodged with the European Court in Strasbourg, consultant obstetrician and gynaecologist Dr Joseph Unokanjo, who practises at Isioma Hospital, in Lagos, says he can confirm that no baby called Elizabeth Izevbekhai was delivered by him at the hospital and no baby of that name has ever been treated by him for any ailment, including post-circumcision complications. Gar- dai were also told there is no evidence of Elizabeth's death at the registry of deaths in Lagos, although a death certificate was presented to the Irish courts on behalf of Mrs Izevbekhai.

Dr Unokanjo says he did not sign an affidavit purported to have been sworn by him on March 9, 2006, and did not issue a certificate of cause of death, which purported to come from Isioma hospital on July 17, 1994. Confirming the signatures are not his, he also says he is incorrectly described on that affidavit as a surgeon, and that the hospital stamp and hospital address are false. He emphasises the purported affidavit was not made by him and says he believes it is a forgery.

Dr Unokanjo has practised at Isioma hospital since 1992, when it was founded, and is a medical director there.

He says Pamela Izevbekhai was his patient before she married and at the time was known as Enitan West, and after her marriage as Enitan Izevbekhai.

Dr Unokanjo also says Mrs Izevbekhai had her first baby at Isioma Hospital in 2000. He was her attending doctor and he could confirm that it was her first child.

Asylum

He recalled that Pamela Enitan Izevbekhai telephoned him some years ago requesting him to issue a death certificate in respect of a dead child to enable her to be given asylum in the Republic of Ireland. He told her he did not involve himself in such activities, particularly since he was aware that she neither had a baby before 1999, and nor had she lost a baby.

Dr Unokanjo also states the alleged medical certificate of the 'cause of death' is a forgery.

Paul McHenry, third secretary at the Irish Embassy in Abuja, Nigeria, describes how he had been shown that the registry of deaths in the Surulere district in Lagos for 1994 showed only 55 entries but the certificate produced for Elizabeth Izevbekhai was entered as number 56.

- Tom Brady Security Editor

• Registered Users Posts: 1,608 ✭✭✭Victor_M

+1 Throw her out, how much money has it cost the state to prove above and beyond any doubt that she is a con artist.

The amount of Irish do-gooders who fell for the disingenuous charms of this chancer. What a waste of the guards resources and our money.

Just read the indo story, I am obviously shocked and feel a little stupid. She should be deported if this story stands up and I have no reason to think otherwise. It is terrible that her kids will go through what is ahead.:(

• Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭Limerick91

Deport her, and pass the costs on to the do-gooders that were supporting her

• Registered Users Posts: 5,514 ✭✭✭Sleipnir

Could she not now be arrested for perjury or or perverting the court of justice by presenting false documents as evidence?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,608 ✭✭✭Victor_M

Sleipnir wrote: »
    Could she not now be arrested for perjury or or perverting the court of justice by presenting false documents as evidence?

What? And keep her here, feck that! the best punishment for that chancer and the rest of them with false asylum claims (i.e. every single Nigerian in this country) is to take biometric data (so they can't get back in) & send them home, then issue an EU wide alert to prevent them from returning to any country within the EU.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,514 ✭✭✭Sleipnir

Victor_M wrote: »
    What? And keep her here, feck that! .
    #

Yah that's true, it was only afterwards I thought "hang on, that'll cost even more money" :pac:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement