Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pamela Izevbekhai - Should She Be Deported?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,207 ✭✭✭meditraitor

Is it any wonder most people think Nigerians are scam artists and have nothing to contribute to our society!

http://www.independent.ie/national-news/courts/deportation-case-mother-had-fake-baby-death-papers-inquiry-told-1688446.html
    He recalled that Pamela Enitan Izevbekhai telephoned him some years ago requesting him to issue a death certificate in respect of a dead child to enable her to be given asylum in the Republic of Ireland.

I just feel sorry for any of the decent Nigerians because this woman has just cemented peoples feelings towards them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 318 ✭✭rkeane

This is great news, I always knew she was a fraud....she will be going home very soon..... thank god.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,608 ✭✭✭Victor_M

No sign of the PC/tree hugging/Would somebody please think of the children brigade this morning! Wonder Why?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 318 ✭✭rkeane

don't worry, one of her few supporting wingdings will appear soon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭Dublin1600

That is absolutly disgusting, I've always had my doubts that she even had a 3rd daughter. The amount of people that have been dupped by this womans lies is unbelievable. I will be sending the Mayor of Sligo an email with a link to this story :mad::mad::mad:

http://www.labour.ie/veronicacawley/

• Advertisement

Is it any wonder most people think Nigerians are scam artists and have nothing to contribute to our society!

http://www.independent.ie/national-news/courts/deportation-case-mother-had-fake-baby-death-papers-inquiry-told-1688446.html

I just feel sorry for any of the decent Nigerians because this woman has just cemented peoples feelings towards them.

No, Kunle Elukanlo cemented people's feelings towards Nigerians when he was arrested in Dublin Airport trying to take money out with a false passport, soon after he was caught driving without any tax or insurance after a very similar media circus to keep him in the country. That guy has been acting like a rock star since all the publicity he received over his deportation attempt.

Dublin1600 wrote: »
    That is absolutly disgusting, I've always had my doubts that she even had a 3rd daughter. The amount of people that have been dupped by this womans lies is unbelievable. I will be sending the Mayor of Sligo an email with a link to this story :mad::mad::mad:

http://www.labour.ie/veronicacawley/

Party Conference this weekend so you wont get an answer too soon :D

Victor_M wrote: »
    No, Kunle Elukanlo cemented people's feelings towards Nigerians when he was arrested in Dublin Airport trying to take money out with a false passport, soon after he was caught driving without any tax or insurance after a very similar media circus to keep him in the country. That guy has been acting like a rock star since all the publicity he received over his deportation attempt.

Ah, i remember that chancer alright. Just another scam artist who plays to the PC lefty eejits sense of right (wrong)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 217 ✭✭Alcatel

There's a presumption from the PC brigade that everyone with a sop story is instantly innocent and angelic, and shouldn't be questioned - or else it's racism and discrimination.

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,804 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

If everyone's finished venting their spleen, it would be nice to get back to the grown-up discussion that this thread was until this week.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,032 ✭✭✭ParkRunner

Remarkable development in this case! She has seriously damaged the reputation of Nigeria in this country and across Europe! Hopefully the general public and those with a sympathetic heart will see past the sob stories now that these bogus asylum seekers present

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

Could anyone in Sligo make us aware of the reaction of those politicians who are supporting her

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭tbh

Alcatel wrote: »
    There's a presumption from the PC brigade that everyone with a sop story is instantly innocent and angelic, and shouldn't be questioned - or else it's racism and discrimination.

I'd be probably one of what you'd call the PC brigade. My attitude is that people should be taken at their word, and given the benefit of the doubt. You may say I'm a dreamer, etc. There's no getting away from it, if these new claims turn out to be true, and in fairness, I think they are true, then there's no doubt that the reputation of the genuine asylum seekers has been severely damaged by the actions of this woman. I'll continue to take my fellow humans at face value, but I can't deny that it'll be harder because of this.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

In response to OscarBravo`s appeal for calm reasoned discussion,I can only return to the heading of this thread and reaffirm my answer- YES.

This affidavit to the ECHR is a most important document indeed on a number of grounds.
    It establishes the bone fides of the Hospital and its Medical Director which has always been central to Ms Izevbekhai`s case.
    It also establishes very firmly the deliberate intent of Ms Izevbekhai and her associates to engage from the outset in a complex premeditated fraudulent assault on the Irish State and it`s People.
    It raises some very important and not too pleasant questions as to Ms Izevbekhai`s concern for and attitudes to her other children which could perhaps be viewed as a form of Reckless Endangerment of a minor.

The affidavit is however,just that,a deposition under oath submitted to the ECHR in order to assist it in its deliberations on Ms Izevbekhai`s case.

I would expect a slight pause before the somewhat darker forces on the fringes of Ms Izevbekhai`s case,both in Ireland and more importantly in Nigeria,get to work on Dr Joseph Unokanjo.
    The Doctors affidavit is now the core hard rebuttal evidence which was needed for the Irish State to defend it`s own lawful systems against what is a concerted,well organized and VERY lucrative Human Trafficking Industry.

Pamela Izevbekhai represented the Media Friendly face of that business and,if you like,was it`s Pin-Up Girl.
    One could be forgiven for seeing She and her 2 Daughters as Media Stars as their case descended ever further into the morass of inaction and inability to function which came to typify Modern Irish Law Enforcement.

I have equally little doubt but that we will be presented with many pleas in the next few weeks to recognize Pamela`s feelings of desperation,her need to ensure the safety of her children and her need to be free of repression and poverty.

All of these will be put forward as reason enough to suspend our natural desires for self protection and instead to nod in the direction of criminal behaviour as an acceptable method of securing one`s aims.

Would the same reasoning be put forward in defending the actions of the Letterkenny car thieves who,after all,were only seeking to escape a repressive State Machine and did what they felt was "necessary" to secure their freedom.

Not a nice comparison is it?,but in my mind as valid as any other and one which should give pause for deep thought as to our National Attitude to Law Enforcement and the capacity of the State to condone or encourage it.

The Unokanjo affidavit is also cause for us all to reflect upon the work of the Garda National Immigration Bureau and the INDIVIDUALS who work within it.

All to often these members are portrayed as some form of faceless inhuman agents-of-a-repressive-State apparatus.
    They have been depicted in some media outlets as "Pursuing" Ms Izevbekhai in a torrid chase throughout Ireland with the intention of throwing her and her children into some stinking hell-hole of a prison.

Even in it`s worst depiction,Dòchas the female detention facility adjacent to Mountjoy does not qualify on these counts.
    Indeed it could be argued that it was only after Ms Izevbekhai`s incarceration there that her "Campaign" grew it`s by,now,very long legs indeed.

As EF remarks,this is a VERY remarkable development in this case,and one which I hope will give heart to those "Faceless Officials" within the Irish Department of Foreign Affairs,The Dept of Justice and the Garda Siochana who can be readily congratulated an a Job Well Done.

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,032 ✭✭✭ParkRunner

I can only guess it is the limited amount of resources available to do a thorough investigation of each and every case. With so many manifestly unfounded applications for asylum in the State it would be impossible to justify the kind of investigation needed to disprove each and every claim made, especially with the seemingly ease of availability of false and fraudulent documents. I'm sure there are many similar cases in existance but we only know about Pamela due to her media campaign. Hopefully this revelation will make those who view Ireland as a soft touch think again!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

I only have to wonder why these investigators didn't interview the doctor at a much earlier stage in the proceedings. Doing so could have saved the Irish taxpayer a lot of money.

I suspect DF,that such was the success of the Izevbekhai campaign in portraying Nigeria as some form of wild,ungovernable place peopled by downtrodden savages who were ruled over by despots,that the agents of the Irish State simply assumed that it was unlikely that these people could write,let alone keep records.

The reality of Nigeria being a truly gigantic self-governing democratic republic,complete with all of the faults so readily apparent in our own,only started to percolate down in recent months.

The intervention of the Nigerian Ambassador,coupled with the open invitation on their part for further outside investigation was the catalyst for this latest development.

The Izevbekhai case has NEVER been about Pamela Izevbekhai as an individual,nor about her children.
    It has ALWAYS been about how the Irish State values its own laws and the extent to which Ireland was/is prepared to go to preserve the integrity of those laws.
    The various agencies involved from the Gardai and Immigration Officials to the RAT,the Courts,and indeed up to the Minister Himself have been roundly attacked throuhgout this long and convoluted process.

I believe that there are serious and none too PC lessons to be learned here and they centre upon the willingness of organized criminal operations to seek out and exploit weak links in State Apparatus wherever they are and to use the willing likes of Pamela Izevbakhai as stalking horses to demolish those State Protections in order to make huge profits on the back of misery.

Let us hope that the ongoing ECHR process manages to get to the root of some of the other issues which Pamela Izevbekhai`s case has raised and whose consideration may well be needed in the broader sense.

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

• Registered Users Posts: 574 ✭✭✭SWL

Victor_M wrote: »

I may be wrong, but was it not McDowell who wanted to deport that little chancer, was it not McDowell who wants to deport this women?

And to think we got rid of someone with a bit of honesty foresight and common sense because people were intimidated by his intelligence and didn't like to hear the truth, just because someone is a foreigner don't mean they are as pure as white snow.

tbh wrote: »
    I'd be probably one of what you'd call the PC brigade. My attitude is that people should be taken at their word, and given the benefit of the doubt. You may say I'm a dreamer, etc. There's no getting away from it, if these new claims turn out to be true, and in fairness, I think they are true, then there's no doubt that the reputation of the genuine asylum seekers has been severely damaged by the actions of this woman. I'll continue to take my fellow humans at face value, but I can't deny that it'll be harder because of this.

Although I may come across as fairly heartless in this instance, it infuriates me that there are so many people in genuine need of Asylum, Ethiopians, Sudanese, millions of people who genuinely are staring death in the face on a daily basis.

To have blood sucking, welfare grabbing, lazy nigerians, giving every other genuine Asylum seeker a) a bad name & b) less of an opportunity to recieve asylum themselves because the nigerians are so well versed on their 'rights' and what they are 'entitled' to and know how to fast track themselves into the Irish Welfare system makes me sick.

All because they are too lazy to do a decent days work and see a free ride in Ireland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭tbh

human nature dude. People will always try to go to places where they can have an easier life for themselves and their children. I can't argue with that, I may have to do the same myself one day. I'm not really getting into the discussion here, but I would suggest that any anger should be directed at the state, who, after all took four years to find this out (and of course, it's just an allegation at this stage). It's not her kids fault, but it's them who'll suffer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,074 ✭✭✭blueythebear

I'm not sure what stage this woman is at in terms of her asylum application (She's been refused asylum and is applying for subsidiary protection now I think?) . THe point is she is one of many Nigerian asylum applicants who are trying to escape FGM. FGM is a real practise and NGO's confirm that it does happen in Nigeria (despite what the Nigerian AG claims). Normally it's not reported due to the fact that it's a cultural practise forced on people by their families and it's rarely investigated b the authorities as it is a family matter and the authorities refuse to get involved.

I'm not a bleeding heart by any means and I do believe that this woman is NOT a refugee, mainly because Nigeria is such a large country that internal relocation is available in a country of that size. However, she has lost a daughter to FGM and if this can be shown, I'd believe she is deserving of protection by this State be it by subsidiary protection or by other means.

Unfortunately, due to recent media coverage, there are many asylum applicants who think that if they mention FGM then they're a shoe-in for refugee status. These people will be caught out in their applications and deported eventually.

The Irish asylum system is sound in principle and conforms to international standards in asylum law. The main problem with the system is the length of time it takes for applications to go through the system. If that could be shortened then things would be alot better overall...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

Sorry folks. Fairly clear that I did not read the thread nor the very interesting article today. If there is an affidavit to that effect from the doctor, then it destroys the very basis of her asylum case and she should be deported as she is an economic migrant.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,477 ✭✭✭donkey balls

can someone answer this question for me please,

if you were to leave your country and seek asylum in another country and upon being allowed to stay in that jurisdiction.

Why would you want to go back to the country that you fled from on holidays?

i have seen this happen in the work place where a nigerian could take three weeks holidays to go home
    and yet an irishman was only allowed to take two weeks it sickened me as a manager at the time.
    (my hands were tied behind my back upper mgmt bull)

also a lot has to be said about our legal profession in these cases the courts throw out a case and they decide to appeal it
    sounds like another gravy train like the tribunals, we have a fair independant process and if a person fails in there application they should be deported.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,485 ✭✭✭sovtek

sounds like another gravy train like the tribunals, we have a fair independant process and if a person fails in there application they should be deported.

I guess automatically denying all asylum applicants and forcing them through the appeals process is considered fair these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭opo

sovtek wrote: »
    I guess automatically denying all asylum applicants and forcing them through the appeals process is considered fair these days.

You guessed wrong.

Quote: "sounds like another gravy train like the tribunals, we have a fair independant process and if a person fails in there application they should be deported."

Asylum law is far from a gravy train for legal practitioners. A refugee may be in the country for several years with no job and receiving €19 per week to live on (admittedly they get accommodation and meals for that but it;s still incredibly tough) and they then have to pay legal fees. Most legal practitioners will only make money by winning in the courts. Therefore only if a decision has been made contrary to principles of natural justice can a solicitor really make any money. In such a case, the fault is with the decision maker and the refugee is only fighting for their right to a fair hearing.

If a person fails in their initial application they have a right to appeal and this is enshrined in the principles of natural justice. Then there are other applications that can be made if the appeal fails and these are made under EU law provisions. Therefore the system gives the applicant a chance to make their case in a fair manner.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 Yellowknife

All Nigeians should be investigated here. 80% arrive here without passports so this should be a lesson to us all. A bankrupt nation cannot afford to pay it's own people the dole never mind these fraudsters.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,485 ✭✭✭sovtek

Therefore the system gives the applicant a chance to make their case in a fair manner.

Deny by default is not fair in the least.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 217 ✭✭Alcatel

Uhh, she lied. Many others lie. For economic gain, pure and simple. She's not a pauper where she comes from, and she's been lying to us in an attempt to defraud the state and those who offered to help her.

She's likely not alone in people doing this. And there is no human right to come to this country unless you've got a serious risk of harm to your life wherever you came from. This woman and her children have no such risk.

She's a liar and a cheat. She's not the only liar and cheat purporting to be fleeing persecution. They need to all be weeded out. That's fair and square.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement