Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pamela Izevbekhai - Should She Be Deported?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 Skatman

HollyB wrote: »
    Is it true that, if somebody is deported from Ireland, they are not allowed to return to the EU?

HollyB, they are not allowed to apply for asylum in any EU country for the next 18months. Hence why many Nigerians go underground for that period of time.

After which you can re-appear and claim asylum again, and get a new case started. But,when back in your country, you can apply for a visa ie. tourist or other to visit an EU country.

It then falls on that country's Embassy to choose on whether to grant you a visa or not. In most cases you get a negative decision, as they can see you are a Personna non Granta in one of the EU countries, due to your deportation.

And don't forget, your Fingerprints are circulated to all EU states.

But, as in all cases, every case is treated on an Individual Basis.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,032 ✭✭✭ParkRunner

HollyB wrote: »
    So, essentially, if the Izevbekhai family are deported, that's it for them as far as EU countries are concerned? They couldn't reside in the UK, even if Tony Izevbekhai had a visa there?

I dont claim any expertise on visa's but the UK authorities are well aware of this case by now. Visa's are temporary by nature and the chances of a renewal for Tony would be nil.

• Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭opo

Skatman wrote: »

But, as in all cases, every case is treated on an Individual Basis.

Precisely, as our "learned" friends like it.

A solid platform has now been created to enact the Immigration, Residence and Protection Bill. I imagine the media/ eyes wide shut/ Residents Against Racism campaigns opposing the new bill will now be somewhat muted! Minister Ahern is one of the few members of our current government who has really done a good job

• Registered Users Posts: 650 ✭✭✭blackiebest

From my position this is shocking;

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/world/ireland/article5993384.ece

Such a f**king rollercoaster. Will try to gather more info locally today and post.

Really dont know what to think:confused::mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭Vinegar Hill

She should be deported immediately. Although she may now claim she may be prosecuted if she returns to Nigeria.

She is on RTE Radio 1 at this very moment

• Registered Users Posts: 765 ✭✭✭6ix

I have read this thread with great interest and applaud the level of argument made throughout, from both sides.

I was told several years ago by someone who was very familiar with the case (in a professional capacity), that Pamela's documents were 100% false. This is from someone who's opinion I would trust, so from then on, that was my view on the case. I still knew there was a possibility that I was wrong. Now it has been confirmed that this is the case.

Why did it take so long for the Gardai to confirm this? An absolute waste of money, and we've noone to blame but ourselves on that side of things. This could've been cleared up a lot earlier.

That said, I'm disgusted by Mrs Izevbekhai's behaviour. This whole charade has been completely of her making, and it has resulted in the waste of huge amounts of money, and now a now a complete upheaval for her children who are relatively settled here. I feel very sorry for them, but deportation is almost too good for their mother. (I'm not suggesting we house her here in prison though).

For those of you who know the legal situation, is it now definite that she will be deported, or is there any basis on which she could stay?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

There are enormous lessons to be learned from this sad spectacle,but one of the most important is that we must as a culture begin to appreciate the importance of valuing our own laws and by association the process by which we allowed them to be enacted,ie: Democracy.

As the Izevbekhai case now enters it`s final and utterly predictable "What about the Children" Media Circus stage the Government on our behalf MUST be resolute in its defence of the countrys Democratic Status and of Freedom itself.

For,if Pamela Izevbekhai and her substantial backup team in Nigeria are successful in accquiring "Subsidiary Protection" as a result of some humanitarian Media led appeal then The Criminals are victorious,yet again.

We as a culture and country are already suffering the immediate results of this Criminality led methodology which has been as prevalent here in Ireland as it ever was in Nigeria.
    The ethos is identical,the difference is only one of simple numbers involved.

We have already had many posters describing in some detail the Nigerian "Way of doing things" and thereby making strong deductions as to the entire country that is Nigeria.

However,we ned to pause a moment and enquire as to whether Ireland,over the past three decades has been any different.
    I would suggest Ireland has in some respects been WORSE than Nigeria as that country never sent it`s Missionaries here to convert the native heathens to "The True Faith".

This "Commonality of Regard" for criminality could perhaps explain why Ireland has been such a favoured destination for Nigerians in particular whilst other adjoining African nationalities barely feature on our stats.

Put bluntly,Ireland is marketed by the serious Human Trafficking Executives as a place where any self-respecting Business Minded individual can make a life for themselves with substantial financial aid (In African terms) made available to them in addition to the educational needs of their children being catered for.

We native Irish,still content to view Africa as the Dark Continent,are blissfully unaware of the extent to which Ireland appeals to such a vast "customer" base who remain largely unimpressed by the official German,French,Dutch or Italian attitudes towards their arrival en-masse.

The other aspect of the Izevbekhai case which MUST be noted and noted well si the absolute requirement for the Implementation and Adminintration of the Law to remain impervious to the Media Led "Campaign",especially when such campaign is centred around opaque and unverifiable occurrences portrayed as facts.

Great Credit must be given to the editorial team of the Times (Of London :) )who from the outset have been the major source of unbiased factual reporting.

The attitudes of both major Irish Print Media organs (Times and Independent) have been questionable,particularly so in relation to the Irish Times where I would suggest it`s Managing Editor should perhaps consider her position in response to her policy decisions to align the Paper of Record with a particular bias in this case.

The final brickbat must go to RTE,and in particular Mr Boucher-Hayes.

Both the Station and its reporter could,if they had applied rational and professional verification methods on the original Dr Unokanjo interview,have pulled at the very obviuous threads protruding from the cloak of the purported Doctor.

However,neither the Station nor Mr Boucher Hayes appear to have done so as,I assume, it would be counter to their Liberal "policies" especially in the light of Mr Boucher Hayes`s appearances as a character witness for Ms Izevbekhai.

Hopefully this sorry expensive mess will leave Ireland,it`s citizens and those who have secured it`s protections LEGALLY in a far better position to move the Country and its peoples forward.

A victory for Pamela Izevbekhai,even now,on humanitarian grounds,will immediately expose us fraudulent in our attitude to our own Laws and will make life for many other deserving cases so much more difficult.

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,777 ✭✭✭✭The Corinthian

6ix wrote: »
    For those of you who know the legal situation, is it now definite that she will be deported, or is there any basis on which she could stay?
    She may have a case for seeking asylum in Ireland on the basis that she would be prosecuted unfairly in Nigeria for her actions.

There was a case a few years ago that a friend of mine was involved in whereby the applicant claimed that they could not return on the basis that they were critical of the political establishment in their home country and this would result in their persecution. As evidence they put forward a number of articles from that country's media supporting this, however it later emerged that the applicant's political activism only began after they had left and applied for asylum. Nonetheless, the applicant got asylum, on the basis that they were, after the fact, in a position where they would be in danger should they return to their home country.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 765 ✭✭✭6ix

She may have a case for seeking asylum in Ireland on the basis that she would be prosecuted unfairly in Nigeria for her actions.

There was a case a few years ago that a friend of mine was involved in whereby the applicant claimed that they could not return on the basis that they were critical of the political establishment in their home country and this would result in their persecution. As evidence they put forward a number of articles from that country's media supporting this, however it later emerged that the applicant's political activism only began after they had left and applied for asylum. Nonetheless, the applicant got asylum, on the basis that they were, after the fact, in a position where they would be in danger should they return to their home country.

If she is granted asylum on that basis, I will have lost all faith in the system. It's bad enough that she will have fabricated a case in the first place, but if she can gain asylum due to persecution that might happen because of this fabrication (and publicity that she generated) then our system is a joke.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 solarant

Let her stay in Nigeria and not here, she is a con artist and a liar.
    She and her family have cost the government hundreds of thousands contesting her false claims, put her on the first boat to where she came from and send her kids with her.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Zambia

If it takes this much time and expense to deport every illegal that makes up story's no matter how nice they are, the Irish are in for real trouble.

Maybe one day someone will come along with the balls to streamline the process.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭JonathanAnon

you've had yer bit of fun, cost the tax payers here a fkn fortune, now go home. Too many bleeding hearts in this country ready to believe every fabricated sob story. These people should be spending their time protecting Irish people from murderers/rapists/sex offenders who are released on bail.

6ix wrote: »

Nothing is definite yet anyway but it can't be long before we know as she is really hanging on by a thread at this stage. The Supreme Court case and the ECHR case must surely be withdrawn. Her legal representatives should come off record unless they have barrels of cash that they can afford to burn.

It is a pity because it would have been interesting to have the threat of FGM being carried out on Nigerian children fully analysed in a European Court. It would be shambolic at this stage for the case to go ahead as all Pamela could say this morning when asked about the fake documents was I don't know anything, I don't know anything. Ignorance is no defence.

Her only hope would be to make an application to the Minister to revoke the order based on the new fears she has or an application for re-admission to the asylum process and hope the High Court grants her another injunction. Given the serious credibility issues and the lack of evidence relating to her claims it would be just another attempt to delay the inevitable at this stage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 991 ✭✭✭Big_Mac

How could she possibly have a case on this basis. She has been proven a liar herself. She has made a statement saying 'woe is me' and that 'I didn't know anything about it' but that would be nothing more than damage control if you ask me.

Her word is now worthless, and anything she now says about the fears that she has etc etc is invalidated by her actions. I think now its prudent to take the government of nigeria at their word that they have adequate state protections against the threat of FGM

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Barra1

People need to take a wee step back and look at what's really at issue here.... we need to stop hiding behind a bureaucracy gone mad.

We have a woman and two young daughters who just want to live here in peace, regardless of why - they are no threat to the Irish state, they would most likely contribute more than many Irish citizens if left in peace to live and work here.
    We have tens of thousands of Irish born criminals living here who deserve deportation to Nigeria far more, our prisons and our streets are full of these Irish nationals who most of us would love to see the back of.

Nationality is a fake identity in relation to whether someone is a nice person or not. Our whole approach to immigration should be based on a human appraisal of people rather than a fearful bureaucratic system of exclusion. For this we'd need Irish people in power who are humane.

Simple philosopy lesson over, now to Pamela's current case....

Obvious that Nigerian government are corrupt and arrogant when Nigerian ambassador to Ireland denies FGM is in existence in her country in an Irish radio interview, this is also easily proven incorrect by filming the many examples there or by documentary evidence of same which can be found on the internet then backed up by film documentary.

It is accepted internationally that FGM is practiced in Nigeria so the Irish ambassador should be taken up on her denial of this by the Irish government who have a commitment to tackle FGM and eradicate it by 2015 (pledged through EU).

The doctor in question who disputes the validity of the paperwork obviously cannot be taken seriously because he says he denies Pamela's husbands claims he asked for money then next sentence asks for 5,000 Euro to answer any more questions! typical Nigerian state official.
    Also the Irish radio producer was told the doctor had been visited from the Nigerian Army just after his interview so we can clearly see that the state is trying to deny Pamela's case to further their hypocritical self-portrait.

Then the Irish state who have a serious agenda in denying Pamela's case will jump on the latest revelation about the forged paperwork to deny any proper investigation of this doctor in support of their own agenda, as the Irish State do not want to support FGM claim as grounds for asylum as they fear it will open up the doors to many more claims in the future.

The Gardai - who could be tackling the serious crime in Ireland - went to Nigeria to prove the documents were fake (a place where you can prove anything if you're on the side of the Nigerian state) but failed to investigate any further than accepting the avidavit / word of a doctor who is demanding money left right and centre - but it serves their purpose and technically they may seek for the case to be withdrawn now based on their new found evidence... but lets see what develops because these biased investigations by the same Gardai who are seeking to expel this mother and her children from their life in Ireland... could very easily be proved inadequate and insufficient in their scope to establish an end to such a long running case as this.

It is well understood that in many so called democracies in Africa, that state corruption is rife, Nigeria is in anyones mind is one of the most corrupt states, documents and bribes go hand in hand, so although Pamela may be forced to go along with all this quietly now for her best legal footing, I'm sure in the future we will find out the full truth about these 'fake' documents... in Africa documents generally aren't worth the paper they're printed on whether they come backed by the state or refuted by the state - that's the reality of state corruption, you never can tell, but what you can know is pain and fear and suffering - which is apparent to anybody who listens to Pamela tell her story.

This is the real problem, we are letting the Irish authorities persecute an individual to hellish levels, which shows how inhumane the capitalist system is, whether in Ireland or in Africa, it's useless! the paperwork is just the control mechanism for these state powers to do what they like with us, to protect their borders and their economies for their interests not the interests of humanity.

The Irish state share the same arrogance and indifference as the Nigerian state. This is despite the fact that European governments have pledged to address the issue of FGM and have pledged to eradicate FGM by 2015. This is the issue, and if the case folds this week with the narrow-minded selfish interests of the investigating Gardai team sufficient to quash such a long-running and complex and expensive case - then we will again see the weakness of the Irish legal system and the lack of Irish government moral and insincerity towards their commitments to eradicate this torture in general.

It's worth remembering that Pamela a mother of two young daughters was arrested for Christmas 2005 by the Irish state, this is at the height of the Celtic Tiger wealth which shows what effect money has on society, that there was no major outrage or objection by the Irish people shows their complacency and mutual arrogance towards the most basic issues of human rights.

Personally I'm ashamed to be Irish from all the human rights violations which have been carried out in our name over the last decade and when people wake up and realise that nationality is actually a pseudo-identity then we will be on the road towards humanity, but I'm afraid that will be a long time coming.

Pamela, I wish you success in your case, if it fails this week due to conniving powers that be, well all I can wish you is safety for yourself and your daughters, I would hate to hear of you being arrested in Nigeria and being seperated from your two lovely daughters there - my fear if you are returned to Nigeria, maybe another country with some morals could offer you asylum outside Ireland should your case here be rejected... at least you would be free from fear and persecution which Ireland has not yet offered in all its wealth and glory!

Our immigration system is exploitative, the rich have free passage (recently could even buy passports / nationality from the government) while other normal people have to defend themselves tooth and nail for basic freedoms.

We have big issues to deal with, Pamela's case may be completely as she has put it - that the doctor wanted considerable money from her husband to issue official paperwork for her child there, that is extortion and corruption, we know it exists in Nigeria.

Pamela says she didnt' know the documents were forgeries, documents her husband was forced to acquire illegally in absence of legal documents - this can also be true!

Pamela's inability to participate freely in detail about her case is (you must appreciate) dictated by her legal team, matters are subjudice - legally she cannot discuss many details while the case is proceeding because to do so would weaken her case.

The doctor in question has clearly illustrated his lack of integrity by asking for money from Irish media sources to discuss the case in detail - exactly what Pamela's husband claimed previously - that the doctor tried to extort money for the paperwork.

I think we can expect to learn the full truth later and I think it would be very stupid for the Irish judiciary to simply quash her case based on the most recent revelation about the paperwork - paper is paper! people are people, so they should allow her to speak freely in court and listen to her there.

The investigatory team that went to Nigeria are the very same state who seek to repel Pamela and her daughters, this is not an independent investigation, it has not fully investigated the case of the doctor but simply got what they wanted from the doctor and legged it back home armed with more dirt against her.

We need an immigration system that is fair and you will find many accounts online about how unfair our immigration system is, how it's almost impossible to gain asylum or refugee status here, look at the facts about how many applications have been made versus how many have been granted - the figures speak for themselves re our immigration system, note below...

How can an immigration system be fair when it has year after year maintained a large backlog (several thousands) of unprocessed applications while the applicants are held in limbo for several years! not permitted to work or live normally while their applications are being processed, it's a system which maintains the negative attitudes by many towards asylum seekers.

The state is wasting money through it's inability to process the applications, large payments each week to home and feed people who are willing to work and feed themselves if left to do so, many qualified people who are denied work yet must stay for several years at the paye's expense - the Irish immigration system is a ridiculous shambles! like many other state-run paye-funded shambolic Irish systems, the reason is simple - those in office have no real interest in tackling the problems constructively, there's the usual profiteering, head in the sand, passing the buck and so on.... and all the other typically Irish methods of avoiding reality at state / civil service level.

Extract from Sunday Tribune article:
    The myth of Ireland's liberal asylum policy
    Ken Foxe
    Just 0.01% of Nigerians granted asylum in the past two years (August 10, 2008)

NIGERIAN people arriving in Ireland have practically no chance of being granted asylum, according to figures obtained by the Sunday Tribune.

The Nigerian embassy in Dublin said the figures were unsurprising, as the vast majority of asylum seekers from their country were in fact "economic migrants".
    However, Nigeria is sharply criticised in Amnesty International's latest report for human rights violations.

The Irish Refugee Council said that Ireland had consistently one of the highest rates of refusal in the European Union for asylum seekers.

:( Barra

• Closed Accounts Posts: 991 ✭✭✭Big_Mac

Barra1 wrote: »
    People need to take a wee step back and look at what's really at issue here.... we need to stop hiding behind a bureaucracy gone mad.

We have a woman and two young daughters who just want to live here in peace, regardless of why - they are no threat to the Irish state, they would most likely contribute more than many Irish citizens if left in peace to live and work here.

Oh please, not another 'let her stay because she's nice story'. Why not let them all stay then, everyone that has arrived here. Oh wait, we have immigration laws, silly me
    We have tens of thousands of Irish born criminals living here who deserve deportation to Nigeria far more, our prisons and our streets are full of these Irish nationals who most of us would love to see the back of.

How is this relevent to the current case in hand?
    Nationality is a fake identity in relation to whether someone is a nice person or not. Our whole approach to immigration should be based on a human appraisal of people rather than a fearful bureaucratic system of exclusion. For this we'd need Irish people in power who are humane.

This has been discussed ad infinitum here. The fact is, its not based on someone being nice, end of. Cases are made based on fact. So do you suggest that we organise an xfactor immigration system and get some votes based on popularity instead? How do you see this working out then?
    Obvious that Nigerian government are corrupt and arrogant when Nigerian ambassador to Ireland denies FGM is in existence in her country in an Irish radio interview, this is also easily proven incorrect by filming the many examples there or by documentary evidence of same which can be found on the internet then backed up by film documentary.

Obvious that Pamela is also a liar, as proven by her admittance of submitting forged documents to help her case along, but I notice how you don't mention that. Is she still telling the truth and the Nigerian government mean nasty people?
    The doctor in question who disputes the validity of the paperwork obviously cannot be taken seriously because he says he denies Pamela's husbands claims he asked for money then next sentence asks for 5,000 Euro to answer any more questions! typical Nigerian state official.

So Pamela's husband makes a claim about something, a doctor refutes it, and is automatically a liar, without even questioning the movitves of why or even if, her husband is lying, if indeed he is.
    Also the Irish radio producer was told the doctor had been visited from the Nigerian Army just after his interview so we can clearly see that the state is trying to deny Pamela's case to further their hypocritical self-portrait.

Really, we can? Care to share where we can clearly see this, because I can't
    Then the Irish state who have a serious agenda in denying Pamela's case will jump on the latest revelation about the forged paperwork to deny any proper investigation of this doctor in support of their own agenda, as the Irish State do not want to support FGM claim as grounds for asylum as they fear it will open up the doors to many more claims in the future.

and pamela has no agenda?
    in Africa documents generally aren't worth the paper they're printed on whether they come backed by the state or refuted by the state

Thats rather a sweeping statement to make. Can you provide evidence to back this up?
    Pamela says she didnt' know the documents were forgeries, documents her husband was forced to acquire illegally in absence of legal documents - this can also be true!

It can just as easliy be false

Barra, to be honest, your entire post stinks of biased nonsense coming from the let her stay brigade. You have ignored all of the information that has come to light in recent events, as most of the let her stay brigade have ignored all the questions that were not answered initially, and all the holes that were in her story then.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,153 ✭✭✭Rented Mule

http://www.rte.ie/news/2009/0329/izevbekhaip.html

Izevbekhai admission a concern - Lenihan

The Minister for Integration has described an admission by a Nigerian mother that she used fake documents to assist her high profile asylum case here, as a matter of concern.

Earlier, it emerged Pamela Izevbekhai had used a fake death certificate for her daughter, and a forged affidavit from a doctor in Nigeria, in support of her argument that its not safe for her family to return to Nigeria.

Conor Lenihan said the matter will be examined fully by the courts.

He added that during a visit to Nigeria last week he was assured female circumcision was not widespread.

• Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭opo

Extract from Sunday Tribune article:
    The myth of Ireland's liberal asylum policy
    Ken Foxe
    Just 0.01% of Nigerians granted asylum in the past two years (August 10, 2008)

NIGERIAN people arriving in Ireland have practically no chance of being granted asylum, according to figures obtained by the Sunday Tribune.

The Nigerian embassy in Dublin said the figures were unsurprising, as the vast majority of asylum seekers from their country were in fact "economic migrants".
    However, Nigeria is sharply criticised in Amnesty International's latest report for human rights violations.

The Irish Refugee Council said that Ireland had consistently one of the highest rates of refusal in the European Union for asylum seekers.

:( Barra

I remember this bit of sophistry well.

What Fox failed (or chose not) to establish is that when you consistently over a period of a decade have to assess the highest concentrations of Nigerian asylum seekers in Europe, who are not found to be refugees, in any European jurisdiction, mathematically, it tends to push the statistical rate of overall rejection up.

He equally failed to mention the dismal record of deporting Nigerians and/or the fact that this is what people point to when analysing the facts and querying the motive for such a skewed number of pointless claims from Nigeria, year after year.

This is the liberal asylum policy in reality and it's far from a myth.

• Advertisement

Big_Mac wrote: »
    How could she possibly have a case on this basis. She has been proven a liar herself. She has made a statement saying 'woe is me' and that 'I didn't know anything about it' but that would be nothing more than damage control if you ask me.

Her word is now worthless, and anything she now says about the fears that she has etc etc is invalidated by her actions. I think now its prudent to take the government of nigeria at their word that they have adequate state protections against the threat of FGM

Mr BigMac I think you're missing the Simpsons, why not leave reality to those better equipped in the brain department.
    Your own comments - so brief and unquantified - are pure bias from the hang her up brigade!
    Mutual disrespect of opinions is all we share on this issue, so I wont bother replying to your snide comments about my post.

Rented Mule - I'd say the Nigerian government are well able to assure our politicians of their needless worry about FGM.

opo - "mathematically, it tends to push the statistical rate of overall rejection up." well it sure pushes the maths at 0.01 percent!!!

To those who seek to dismiss Pamela's case in reactionary style without due consideration of the wider issues encompassed by her case - I leave you to your fickle and heartless arguments. I have made my opinions known, of course I don't expect you lot to agree with me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭madamab

Id say Big Mac has a point though. I see you have just joined the forums obviously one of the Let them stay Brigade as Big Mac has just said. Just not interested in your defence of this woman, clearly a liar who has cost this state a lot of money. Her story has always had holes even from the beginning as to how she got here which is more lies.

You people would be far better off supporting a cause closer to home and not defending people making fraudlent claims.

Go watch the Simpsons yourself with your friend Pamela - that poor woman who has been wronged by us (not)

they are no threat to the Irish state, they would most likely contribute more than many Irish citizens if left in peace to live and work here.

Will she be happy to pay her legal fees and the fees of the State which were awarded against her like every other Irish citizen would have to do if she were allowed to stay?
    Our whole approach to immigration should be based on a human appraisal of people

What questions should they be asked so in their asylum interviews? Should credibility play any part?

The doctor's credibility has been called into question agreed. Has Pamela presented any credible evidence to support her individual claim?
    The Gardai - who could be tackling the serious crime in Ireland - went to Nigeria to prove the documents were fake

And it turns out they were right to do so, the documents are fake.
    but lets see what develops because these biased investigations by the same Gardai who are seeking to expel this mother and her children from their life in Ireland

Gardai are seeking to enforce a validly made deportation order. They have to pursue her because she has failed to remove herself from the State as required by law. Your position would imply that the gardai and the judiciary are corrupt, as corrupt as the Nigerian authorities.
    but what you can know is pain and fear and suffering - which is apparent to anybody who listens to Pamela tell her story.

She does sound convincing but when asked about the evidence, she just doesn't sound half as convincing.
    It's worth remembering that Pamela a mother of two young daughters was arrested for Christmas 2005 by the Irish state

Because she evaded deportation, she broke the law. Should the law not apply in this case?
    Pamela's inability to participate freely in detail about her case is (you must appreciate) dictated by her legal team, matters are subjudice - legally she cannot discuss many details while the case is proceeding because to do so would weaken her case.

I don't think she has much of a case left to defend!
    so they should allow her to speak freely in court and listen to her there

I agree, let her speak to the court all she wants, let her present any evidence which corroborates her story. The judges will look at the evidence.
    We need an immigration system that is fair and you will find many accounts online about how unfair our immigration system is, how it's almost impossible to gain asylum or refugee status here

Our asylum system does have flaws which will hopefully be rectified in the new immigraion, residence and protection bill. Asylum if not granted at first instance, can be granted on appeal, or leave to remain/subsidiary protection can be granted. Should the Minister make an error in his decision then the decision can be challenged in the courts. As the list here shows many hundreds of those going through the asylum process have applied for their day in court.

http://www.courts.ie/legaldiary.nsf/a29e83d32296b62f80256c590060acda/91c3a9923bdafe738025757d00409ed8?OpenDocument
    How can an immigration system be fair when it has year after year maintained a large backlog (several thousands) of unprocessed applications while the applicants are held in limbo for several years! not permitted to work or live normally while their applications are being processed, it's a system which maintains the negative attitudes by many towards asylum seekers.

The State was unprepared for the influx of asylum seekers. There were only 39 in 1992 and this rose to 11,634 in 2002. With the amount of legal challenges and complex legislation to be dealt with, delays were unfortunately inevitable.
    those in office have no real interest in tackling the problems constructively, there's the usual profiteering, head in the sand, passing the buck and so on.... and all the other typically Irish methods of avoiding reality at state / civil service level.

Would Irish methods of avoiding reality include exposing an asylum application based on fraud and untruths? I would go so far as to say the let them stay campaign have had their head in the sand and avoided reality.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

• Registered Users Posts: 650 ✭✭✭blackiebest

Ok, in the main there is an adult conversation conducted here, regular posters from both sides show a mutual respect for people who do not share their view. New posters should read the charter and frankly those wishing to see Pamela, Naomi and Jemima sent back should, IMO, make their point with dignity.

There are genuine people, myself one, who are gutted and confused ATM but these revelations should not be exploited or allowed to fuel narrowminded ideals.

Mods, it might be an idea to be strict here!

PS. This is in light of older posts from the 'send her packin' and more fresh ones from the 'let them stay' sides of this discussion!

BB

To be clear, I'm not part of any campaign, I'm just an individual Irish citizen who made my opinions known on this issue here, as the forum is designed to be used.
    When my opinion is slated by others here who don't offer me my place to express my opinions I responded with the same indifference to their opinions and yes with the same smart alek tone.
    I take back my quip to BigMac re 'brain department' after he slated my opinions because this is a serious issue and I don't want it to degenerate either.
    I just want to make my individual opinions known, I'm not here to debate, so you won't hear from me again on this thread, although I will follow it.

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭lego

Luckily, 79%(Referendum to outlaw the "Irish-Born" Child scam) of Ireland's population disagree with Barra1's "lets flood the country with scammers" views. Its just a question of our elected representatives taking note of that mandate, if they don't we can get rid of them and replace them with a more deportation-happy bunch, this is a democracy after all.

Yeh I have been having the odd look at the site too, they must have had quite a few hits in the past week :D And they can't use the subjudice argument as their website has been accessible right throughout her court cases. It is a phenomenal amount of work put in by whoever keeps the site updated, I can't but admire their determination even if I disagree with their position.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭EnigmasWhisper

People need to take a wee step back and look at what's really at issue here.... we need to stop hiding behind a bureaucracy gone mad.Barra

God another one, its called 'Immigration' law...you know, the kind of thing most countries have to stop people abusing ther system
    We have tens of thousands of Irish born criminals living here who deserve deportation to Nigeria far more, our prisons and our streets are full of these Irish nationals who most of us would love to see the back of.Barra

You do realise every country has criminals, what has that got to do with a woman telling lies and attempting to make a mockery of our judicial syetem ?
    For this we'd need Irish people in power who are humane.Barra

We need to ensure that people like you (in the minority) never have power.Barra[/QUOTE]
    Obvious that Nigerian government are corrupt and arrogant.Barra

So surprising you dont call your Pamela a liar and arrogant considering she and her husband had the audacity to lie and forge documents and attempt to dupe the powers that be . . well she didnt really, she duped people like you
    The doctor in question who disputes the validity of the paperwork obviously cannot be takenBarra

As opposed to Pamela and her husband, proven liars and cheats....or are you too proud to admit you and your fellow do-gooders have egg on your faces. So gullible.
    as the Irish State do not want to support FGM claim as grounds for asylum as they fear it will open up the doors to many more claims in the future.Barra

Thank goodness, I can only imagine the floods of liars and cheats willing to come to meet simple soft touches such as you
    The Gardai - who could be tackling the serious crime in Ireland - went to Nigeria to prove the documents were fake Barra

What part of immigration laws, or breaking the law and lying cant you comprehend ? The gardai were doing their job.

so although Pamela may be forced to go along with all this quietly now for her best legal footing, I'm sure in the future we will find out the full truth about these 'fake' documentsBarra

Your deluded, and your naivity is making me cringe
    This is the real problem, we are letting the Irish authorities persecute an individual to hellish levels,Barra

The problem is the minority of people like you and an immigration system that was seen as a joke for these people. We need a green card system here to rid us of these leeches from Nigeria and elsewhere.

It's worth remembering that Pamela a mother of two young daughters was arrested for Christmas 2005 by the Irish state,Barra

Yes, she broke the law...you try breaking the law in Nigeria or in any other country.
    Personally I'm ashamed to be IrishBarra

I assure you that Ireland is ashamed of people like you.
    Pamela, I wish you success in your case, if it fails this week due to conniving powers that be,Barra

Why dont you offer to keep Pamela in your house, pay for her with your money, and refund the state for the money they have wasted on the opportunist liar
    The state is wasting money through it's inability to process the applications, large payments each week to home and feed people who are willing to work and feed themselvesBarra

The taxpayer is wasting money housing these people in hotels. Those who dont have a right to enter, should be turned away immediately.

We are no longer the fools of Europe, we are no longer going to tolerate our good nature being taken advantage of. Those days are thankfuly in the past. Do us all a favour, escort dear Pamela to Nigeria yourself and stay there ! Let us know how your application for welfare and a house get on. Better still write telling us how many civil receptions you dine at

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement