Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pamela Izevbekhai - Should She Be Deported?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭opo

Barra1 wrote: »

opo - "mathematically, it tends to push the statistical rate of overall rejection up." well it sure pushes the maths at 0.01 percent!!!

Naturally.

A glance at the figures helps:

Nigerian Asylum Applications (Source UNHCR)

Year 2000 2001 2002 2003 2004 2005 2006
    Australia 123 52 17 * * 25 28
    Austria 390 1,038 1,431 1,845 1,825 881 421
    Belgium 103 97 113 194 177 117 71
    France 457 571 876
    1,244 1,485 964 432
    Germany 383 493 938 944 1,005 536 414
    Netherlands 282 401 556 414 224 154 243
    Spain 735 1,349 1,440 1,685 1,030 726 632
    Switzerland 223 283 1,052 473 418 219 209
    Ireland 3,404 3,461 4,049 3,110 1,776 1,276 1,037
    UK 690 745 1,135 1,110 1,175 1,155 940
    U.S.A 19 18 31 233 245 201 156
    Canada 887 713 663 641 554 579 664

No other country in the world recieved the number we received in these years and they are still top of the league, claiming asylum in Ireland today.

Isn't that an odd thing to happen when so few are granted status?

Perhaps that liberal asylum "myth" is not as mythical to Nigerians as it is to the Irish Refugee Council and others.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,032 ✭✭✭ParkRunner

opo wrote: »
    Naturally.

A glance at the figures helps:

Nigerian Asylum Applications (Source UNHCR)

Year 2000 2001 2002 2003 2004 2005 2006
    Australia 123 52 17 * * 25 28
    Austria 390 1,038 1,431 1,845 1,825 881 421
    Belgium 103 97 113 194 177 117 71
    France 457 571 876
    1,244 1,485 964 432
    Germany 383 493 938 944 1,005 536 414
    Netherlands 282 401 556 414 224 154 243
    Spain 735 1,349 1,440 1,685 1,030 726 632
    Switzerland 223 283 1,052 473 418 219 209
    Ireland 3,404 3,461 4,049 3,110 1,776 1,276 1,037
    UK 690 745 1,135 1,110 1,175 1,155 940
    U.S.A 19 18 31 233 245 201 156
    Canada 887 713 663 641 554 579 664

No other country in the world recieved the number we received in these years and they are still top of the league, claiming asylum in Ireland today.

Isn't that an odd thing to happen when so few are granted status?

Perhaps that liberal asylum "myth" is not as mythical to Nigerians as it is to the Irish Refugee Council and others.

Would you have a link to this by any chance?

• Registered Users Posts: 361 ✭✭HollyB

The doctor in question who disputes the validity of the paperwork obviously cannot be taken seriously because he says he denies Pamela's husbands claims he asked for money then next sentence asks for 5,000 Euro to answer any more questions! typical Nigerian state official.
    Also the Irish radio producer was told the doctor had been visited from the Nigerian Army just after his interview so we can clearly see that the state is trying to deny Pamela's case to further their hypocritical self-portrait.

According to The Sunday Times, Nigerian says baby death tale still true, the Gardaí are satisfied that Dr Unokanjo was not the doctor that Boucher-Hayes claims to have interviewed.

As far as asking for €5,000 to speak to a reporter is concerned, frankly, I can't blame him for wanting to take advantage of the opportunity to sell his story to the media. This case has been a very high profile one so, if Dr Unokanjo can get the media to pay him for his story, I don't think that wanting to do so automatically makes his testimony suspect.

Given that the Izevbekhai family are wealthy, and that the documentation was needed for their case for asylum, has it been explained why Mr Izevbekhai should have opted to pay for forged documents instead of paying for genuine ones?

Interesting titbit from The Sunday Tribune
    The journalists were given a phone number for a doctor in Nigeria claiming to be Dr Unokanjo. They never met this man – our officials and the senior garda did. - RTÉ was 'duped' by bogus asylum film

Who gave them the phone number, I wonder? It could have been anybody at the other end of the phone line.

• Advertisement

EF wrote: »
    Would you have a link to this by any chance?

http://www.immigrationcontrol.org/news_archive_2007.html#IRLtopdestination

The site is irrelevant to my research as this information is as per the statistics on the unhcr website over the years in the statistics (asylum trends) section.

Here:

http://www.unhcr.org/doclist/statistics/4146b6fc4.html

I lifted it as a handy reference from a google search as the files on the latter are fairly turgid and released in PDF format.

I cannot vouch for stats after the dates as the citizenship referendum put manners on the mess and reduced the numbers dramatically.

HollyB wrote: »
    Interesting titbit from The Sunday Tribune

Who gave them the phone number, I wonder? It could have been anybody at the other end of the phone line.

Now now HollyB.

We have well paid, professional journalists endlessly researching and verifying such stories before release.

You are hardly trying to imply we have a glut of gormless reporters attempting to be the news and throwing caution to the wind because the individual is "gasp" - a black asylum seeker from Nigeria?

opo wrote: »
    Now now HollyB.

We have well paid, professional journalists endlessly researching and verifying such stories before release.

You are hardly trying to imply we have a glut of gormless reporters attempting to be the news and throwing caution to the wind because the individual is "gasp" - a black asylum seeker from Nigeria?

Looks like this particular journalist should have spent a bit more time verifying the story before release, and before he threw his support behind the court case - in his shoes, I wouldn't have sworn an affidavit if I couldn't say for certain who I was speaking to.

It'll probably depend on how (un)balanced the broadcast is. If it's more or less balanced, and doesn't accept everything Ms Izevbekhai has been saying at face value, then RTÉ may capitalize on the interest in the case and show it but I would imagine that they would not expect the public mood to be especially receptive to something along these lines - Living In Limbo.

• Advertisement

Fair play to Pamela though, running rings around the "best news broadcaster of the year"

http://www.rte.ie/radio1/pressreleases/1167714.html

Noticed that. The stakes are higher than I originally thought for Philip. He has made his bed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 318 ✭✭rkeane

It will be interesting to see what kind of coverage this scandal gets this week. Just finished chatting with a lawyer friend, she is totally fecked now....finally we will be getting rid of her, I've been waiting for this for a long time. I was also told I could have the keys to his new car if her case even got a hearing in ECHR...its a dead cert deportation.

The supreme court will reject her appeal out of hand. lol

Don't forget, her legal team are expected to withdraw from the case this week, she will be on her own.

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/frontpage/2009/0330/1224243690689.html

I think the Independent had it's own clown on board as this letter writer sugests:

http://www.independent.ie/opinion/letters/lack-of-objectivity-on-asylum-seeker-126282.html

Antonia Leslie is of course another reporter (as opposed to journalist) that felt compelled to support Pamela Izevbekhai in print and personally, in the legal system, and joins Boucher-Hayes in destroying their own credibility for a pack of lies that they desperately wanted to believe.

• Registered Users Posts: 956 ✭✭✭Mike...

Get her out now, enough of her lie's...
    We have more important issue's her in our own country to deal with.

• Registered Users Posts: 458 ✭✭TomRooney

no Nigerians have any automatic right to reside in Ireland, the ones who are here and have managed to fool the government should consider themselves priveledged, but there needs to be a stop to this open borders free for all, it is simply unsustainable.

lets stop the PC crapp, if they have no right to be here there should be no appeals system, no other country has the stupid beurocratic crap we have in this regard and it is the tax payer that suffers the backlash.

if they have no legal right here get them out and get them out quick!
    there is not even any medical screening of these people God knows what diseases they are bringing into the country TB is on the rise in Ireland for the first time in almost a century, bear in mind TB is endemic in Africa, as is AIDS, and many other nasty diseases.

• Advertisement

I think given the reality of this scam that those newspapers will now stop supporting her. Bar a few supporters (with an agenda), the rest of her supporters will abandon her to her fate....a rightful deportation.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

Here's what I think will happen next....
    ........................Donegalfella,I don`t entirely share your positive thoughts as to the eventual outcome.

The arrival of new blood such as Barra1,ever ready to thrash about with vigour in denigrating the Gardai and Departmental Officials who eventually did manage to pin down this womans deceitful behaviour confirms that the Lethemstay campaign is far from a busted flush.

I have consistently believed that Pamela Izevbekhai herself was never the Central issue in this,she is no more than a run of the mill fraudster who found herself promoted to the big league in a country which,at that time,was ever so keen to demostrate its vast capability to solve the Worlds problems,a là Bono.

There are far more serious individuals lurking about here,including Mr Izevbekhai,about whom little of substance is known.
    This lack of knowledge I believe stems from an urgent requirement to remain off-the-radar especially now as the entire scam has gone pear shaped.

There is plenty of Investigative meat still out there to further flesh out the bones of this case,but it will require skills somewhat higher than an RTE "Investigative" Reporter to find and assess them.

I would expect a very full response will issue from the lethemstay.org people in the fullness of time.
    This response will,almost certainly,divert attention away from the factual and instead focus on the Children as a fairly sure bet to attract the support of the "Child Loving" Irish People.

The proposed RTE documentary will most likely be the catalyst or totem pole around which the movers and shakers in the LTS campaign will gather,and be under no illusion that there are not some seriously committed people in that campaign who now see it as a crusade to keep "Their Pamela" in this country at all costs.

EF and opo are amongst some who have been pointing out the actual cost of Ms Izevbekhai`s legal representation to date.
    There is some justification for asking questions as to the sources of any further monies which may be transferred to pay ongoing costs in this circus.

There is also a serious requirement on the RTE Authority to immediately assess the Stations guidelines regarding Staff Reporters taking very public stances at a VERY EARLY STAGE in Ms Izevbekhai`s case,something which now compromises not only the individual reporters but also the entire RTE public service ethos.

This unfortunate situation has come about because RTE abandoned the basic principles of good investigative reporting as practiced by other agencies less inclined to appear "Caring" or "Nice".

Scepticism,forensic curiosity,and always a clearheaded apprasial of whatever information is being directed at you are prerequisites in this area of reporting and are exactly the attributes which were discarded by the Irish Media at the outset in this..

I`d be happy to learn a bit more about Tony Izevbekhai and the elusive Trafficker who propelled Pamela out of Lagos in the first place....Now THAT would be Investigative Reporting should it happen !!

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 fraz1971

Now that this woman has been found out, could 'letthemstay.org' now turn their attention to the protection of Irish girls? They could start a campaign for the introduction of cervical cancer vaccinations. How many Irish girls would have been saved by the money Pamela has cost?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,137 ✭✭✭artyeva

TomRooney wrote: »
    no Nigerians have any automatic right to reside in Ireland, the ones who are here and have managed to fool the government should consider themselves priveledged,

are you SERIOUSLY suggesting that ALL people from Nigeria that have gone through the asylum process have done so by illegal or dishonest means????:eek:

where's your proof??????

• Closed Accounts Posts: 991 ✭✭✭Big_Mac

Mr BigMac I think you're missing the Simpsons, why not leave reality to those better equipped in the brain department.
    Your own comments - so brief and unquantified - are pure bias from the hang her up brigade!
    Mutual disrespect of opinions is all we share on this issue, so I wont bother replying to your snide comments about my post.

To those who seek to dismiss Pamela's case in reactionary style without due consideration of the wider issues encompassed by her case - I leave you to your fickle and heartless arguments. I have made my opinions known, of course I don't expect you lot to agree with me.

Interesting how you won't respond to my 'snide' comments, but you will reply with comments trying to belittle me. For the record, I reserve the right to rubbish your opinion, in the very same way you can rubbish my opinion, and by all means please feel free to do so. Attack the post and not the poster.

I think you will find that everthing I have said has been quantified previously in this thread as I have been a poster here for quite some time. Have you read all the previous pages?

Again, this is typical of the let her stay brigade. This is not the first time that I have been personally attacked about voicing my opinions which generally are based on fact. The let her stay brigade can say that she is wonderful and should stay and expect to get a free ride for it. However when anyone on the opposite side says anything to the contrary or raises questions about her story we are branded as racists or heartless people. Hardly fair is it.

So thank you Barra1, you have painted a far better picture of your brigade than I ever could.

I've emailed them asking for their thoughts, awaiting a reply (but not holding breath)
    To be clear, I'm not part of any campaign, I'm just an individual Irish citizen who made my opinions known on this issue here, as the forum is designed to be used.
    When my opinion is slated by others here who don't offer me my place to express my opinions I responded with the same indifference to their opinions and yes with the same smart alek tone.

Sorry, but you have adequate place to give your opinion here, and as I have said above, anyone reserves the right to disagree with you. If you can put forward a good credible arguement for why she should stay, then please post it.
    I take back my quip to BigMac re 'brain department' after he slated my opinions because this is a serious issue and I don't want it to degenerate either.
    Don't bother, its already done now
    I just want to make my individual opinions known, I'm not here to debate, so you won't hear from me again on this thread, although I will follow it.
    Consider them known, but remember this is a discussion forum, not a forum to place ones opinion and not have it open to discussion.

Agian, its interesting how the media amongst others have so easliy fallen to the pro side. Up until now, no one in the media has really asked any of the difficult questions, many of them raised here. Not very 'independent' are they?

As for RTE, I doubt they'll cover anything contreversial about this considering how the so easily folded over the recent cowen story

Interesting quote from This Article

'Whatever I have to do to protect my children I will do . . . '

Hmmm...... Does that include falsifying documents to gain asylum in another country? Clearly so.

Does that include faslely claiming the massive danger that is 'undoubtedly' awaiting the children as soon as they step off the plane in Lagos? Quite possibly, if history is anything to go by

Also, letthemstay have said this.
    A Sligo-based group which had campaigned on behalf of Ms Izevbekhai continued to stand by her last night. “I would urge people to remember that this is not about paperwork – it is still about the safety of two little girls,” said a spokesperson for the Let Them Stay organisation.

I shall summise then:

Ok, lets argue with supporting documentation that the children are in danger and one daughter has already died............... hang on............. the paperwork is forged................... Ok, its not about the paperwork anymore its about..... ummm.............err.........ehhh...................... Won't someone please think of the children!!!

Interestingly, they haven't updated their webpage

I can now see this arguement coming down to 'They've been here for so long, they can't uproot them now.......'

Lest anyone forget she has already broken Irish laws and been arrested.

I now ask someone from the Pro Pamela side to put forth a credible arguement as to why she should be granted leave to remain

• Closed Accounts Posts: 82 ✭✭bokspring71

I can imagine this would make a great hollywood smash hit - it has all the elements; children, mutilation, trans country action, the race card and even a tearful mothers fight to protect her children.

Probably in the film, just as everyone turns against them, the viewer learns the real truth, just as they are landing at lagos airport, that her claims were true and that the falsified documents were obtained by a desperate mother in an effort to save her children....

Why is evreyone so exercised by this case?

• Advertisement

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement