Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pamela Izevbekhai - Should She Be Deported?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 991 ✭✭✭Big_Mac

News: The State wants to recind its undertaking not to deport Pamela until the UNCR hearing completes. Link
    THE State has asked the European Court of Human Rights to be allowed to lift an undertaking it gave not to deport failed asylum seeker Pamela Izevbekhai.
    The undertaking had been given on behalf of Justice Minister Dermot Ahern after lawyers for Mrs Izevbekhai brought her case to the European Court after her appeal against deportation was turned down by the courts in Dublin.
    It stated that no move to deport her would take place, pending the outcome of the deliberations by the European Court.
    But since then the State has uncovered fresh evidence showing that documents presented to the courts by Mrs Izevbekhai were forgeries.
    That evidence was presented to the European Court in Strasbourg last week and, it was learned last night, the State has now asked for permission to withdraw its undertaking.
    But before the European Court makes a ruling, the case will come up before the Supreme Court in Dublin on Friday.
    Lawyers for Mrs Izevbekhai have indicated they may come "off record" on Friday and ask for her appeal to be withdrawn in the light of the new evidence and her acceptance that the documents are fake.
    Forged
    Legal sources said last night that the Supreme Court could agree to that scenario and it was then up to the European Court.
    But another possible option could result in the court insisting that the case be examined further because of the seriousness of the admission that forged documents were used.
    The documents were an affidavit, allegedly sworn by an obstetrician in Lagos, which purported to verify that she had given birth to a daughter, Elizabeth, in February 1993 and that the girl died in July 1994, following female genital mutilation, as well as a forged certificate of death for Elizabeth.
    The documents were shown to be false following an investigation by the Garda national immigration bureau and officials from the Irish Embassy in the Nigerian capital, Abuja.
    The investigation was instigated late last year after earlier inquiries highlighted alleged irregularities in Mrs Izevbekhai's asylum record.
    The circumstances surrounding Elizabeth's birth and death were central to the case made on behalf of the Nigerian woman to be allowed to stay here as she feared that her two other daughters, Naomi and Jemima could be subjected to female genital mutilation if the family were sent back home.
    Her legal fight against deportation resulted in 19 High Court appearances.
    Obstetrician and consultant gynaecologist Dr Joseph Unokanjo has now sworn on affidavit that the previous affidavit, allegedly signed by him, was a forgery.

Its looking more and more likely that her number is up

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,084 ✭✭✭Barname

AlekSmart wrote: »
    Important informational post I feel.

The arrival of Pamela Izevbekhai represented a great shot-in-the-arm for those interested in "Activism" in it`s many facets.
    It was as if the "Messiah" had returned to walk amongst the unbelievers and would once again ensure the triumph of (Feminist?) good over (Masculine?) evil.

This aspect was even touched upon much earlier in this thread when a discussion ensued as to which gender actually carried out the FGM procedures.

What is important now for Ireland is that those who aspire to zealot status,in any field,are smoked out and placed under closer inspection.

I would consider a description of an organization such as the DVAS as being "Front Line" appears to suggest some form of confrontational or even warlike regard for itself.

Protective and representional agencies such as DVAS are a feature of every well set up democratic country,but there comes a point when these agencies have to recognise the primacy of the States Laws which,as the Pamela Izevbekhai case now demonstrates,have been proven to be essentially well founded.

I believe that a wee bit more "Investigative Journalism" may well produce some other interesting supporters of the LTS campaign particularly in the area of funding.

very good post, the problem with the media in Ireland is that they are left wing pinkos for the most part

the prime example being how Philip Boucher Hayes was led down the garden path by this lying leach and failed to do his job.

Journalists should be objective and conduct thorough research, if they are incapable of that they should be fired.

Link
    THE NIGERIAN ambassador to Ireland has denied that female genital mutilation (FGM) is a widespread practice in her country, and insists that Pamela Izevbekhai and her two daughters are safe to return to Nigeria.
    Ambassador Kemafo Nonyerem Chikwe told The Irish Times that FGM was a “non-existent issue” in Nigeria and she accused Ms Izevbekhai of “disparaging” her home country by claiming her daughters would be subjected to the procedure if the family was deported from Ireland.
    “She has selfishly disparaged Nigeria. She has dented the image of the nation, making it look like a barbaric country . . . and she has also damaged the chances of people who may be seeking asylum through legitimate means by creating doubts in the minds of the authorities,” Ms Chikwe said.
    The ambassador’s assertions on the prevalence of FGM are contradicted by research carried out by several agencies including the World Health Organisation (WHO), which in a 2007 report found that the practice of FGM is “widespread” in Nigeria and varies from one state and cultural setting to another.
    Ms Chikwe said the Nigerian government had initiated an investigation into those who had carried out the field research for what she described as incorrect reports.
    “Whoever has submitted these reports has given a false report . . . and I am advising that the World Health Organisation revisit this issue,” she said.
    “FGM happens to be an ancient practice that is no longer in the consciousness of Nigerians. It is something that is completely insignificant in the present Nigerian culture.”
    Pamela Izevbkehai’s battle against deportation was thrown into uncertainty at the weekend after she admitted that documents used in a series of legal challenges had been forged. The counterfeit documents include one purporting to be her daughter Elizabeth’s death certificate, and an affidavit from one Joseph Unokanjo, an obstetrician who purportedly treated the child.
    Ms Izevbekhai says her husband admitted to her last week that he had obtained fake documents after the doctor who had treated Elizabeth demanded a substantial payment in exchange for the genuine papers.
    Ms Izevbekhai insists, however, that she had a daughter, named Elizabeth, who died after being subjected to FGM.
    In a recently lodged affidavit seen by The Irish Times, Dr Joseph Unokanjo of the Isioma Hospital in Lagos confirms that Ms Izevbekhai was his patient but denies he had signed the previous affidavit or the death certificate.
    “I can confirm that no baby called Elizabeth Izevbekhai was delivered by me at Isioma Hospital and no baby of that name has ever been treated by me for any ailment including post-circumcision complications,” the affidavit reads.
    Contacted yesterday, Dr Unokanjo refused to answer questions and repeated demands he had made to other media outlets for €5,000 in exchange for an interview.
    Ms Izevbekhai said at the weekend that she believed the Nigerian authorities could not guarantee her safety or the safety of her two daughters.
    The Nigerian ambassador rejected these concerns. “I can assure you Pamela is safe in Nigeria, her children are safe in Nigeria,” Ms Chikwe said yesterday. “The Nigerian authorities will guarantee the safety of every Nigerian. There is nothing stopping Pamela from returning.”

Are we now still to believe that the Nigerian ambassador is corrupt and lying, or does the fact that Izevbekhai's case is falling apart throw some new light on this. Again this goes back to the original point of how the word of one Asylum seeker was so easily taken over so many others, including an ambassador

One more thing. Pamela still maintains that she had a daughter Elizabeth who lived and died, but that's all she has said and like DF has said, not even a photo of her has been seen. The fact that her doctor has stated that he did not deliver the child, nor witness the death or sign the certificate she must understand that she needs some other form of proof that she existed. I know that she has said that she is 'working closely with Nigerian contacts to provide proof' but that's a very ambiguous statement to make. Surely she must at least remember the name of the hospital that she was born in, and possibly the doctor that delivered said child, not to mention witnessed the death to sign the document. How is it that she never mentioned this before.?
    To Summarise:

• Dr Joseph Unokanjo did not witness the death of this alleged child, nor sign the death certificate. We can take this as fact, as there is a sworn affidavit to this effect.

• Since these revelations, Pamela has admitted that the documents are fughesi’s, but not claimed that it was Dr Unokanjo who signed the certificates. After these revelations she again has not said that he was the one who was there for the death. So who was, and who indeed did sign the alleged death certificate? She has not said, I wonder why?

• We can safely assume that Dr Unokanjo did not sign the certificate, nor was he there for the death. Thusly, the notion that Pamela was not aware that the certificate was forged at the time of submission is ludicrous. Also, the notion that Tony did this without her knowledge is equally as ludicrous. If Elizabeth did indeed exist, she would know who was there for the death and who signed the documentation, which we know was not Dr Unokanjo.
    I now ask, how could she possibly not have known that this document was forged at the time of submission, I see two scenarios:

• A) The signatory on the 'genuine' document was of someone who is not Dr Unokanjo as he didn't sign it. So she would have been fully aware at the time of submisison that it was forged. Another ludicrous suggestion would be that she didn't read the document that was submitted, which i very very much doubt

• B) The whole story is a tissue of lies. So she would have been fully aware at the time of submisison that it was forged.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,581 ✭✭✭dodgyme

the IT has a nice picture of pamela when reporting on the case this morning. Ofcourse its a picture they choose is very telling. A tear welled face with facial muscles holding back the pain. Well done IT.... no pictures of her with a neutral expression then??????:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,207 ✭✭✭meditraitor

dodgyme wrote: »
    the IT has a nice picture of pamela when reporting on the case this morning. Ofcourse its a picture they choose is very telling. A tear welled face with facial muscles holding back the pain. Well done IT.... no pictures of her with a neutral expression then??????:rolleyes:

1224243794778_1.jpg
    http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/ireland/2009/0401/1224243794778.html

The game is up Ms Izevbekhai.

Cheerio

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭cheapskate

If her case were true then she would have grounds to stay but given the revelations that have come out, her case is uncredible.

Her story cannot be believed as the evidence given in our highest courts were fabricated lies therefore how can she expect or anyone expect the court to believe her plight now!

I never believed she should have been allowed to stay, not because of her nationality, race, colour or whatever but because once she went through the asylum seeking procedure in this country and it was deemed she was not eligible then that in my mind should have been that.

There are far too many do gooders in this country, I wonder if we could expel some of those too!

CS

• Registered Users Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

Trouser_Press writ....:
    Ah AlekSmart, the mask slipped....."Feminist Oriented support group" = Satan! Just a pity you can't spell. Not that I'm suggesting you're thick, or anything.

No mask I`m afraid Trouser_Press,just a long standing scepticism of "Ginger Groups" in general,particularly those who spring forward to embrace a particularly juicy "Cause of the Day".

In this case we have an avowedlly "Feminist" (Whatever that may be) group loudly proclaiming the merits of Its own particular anti-establishment (In this case one assumes,Male) beliefs.

It could just as easily be a Prisoners Rights Group or a Republican Splinter Group or a Stop The Water Rates group,all i`m advocating is a healthy scepticism before embracing EVERY aspect of the "Cause".

As for the spelling,well I`ll stick with "Oriented" as in Orientation...It appears to have got my meaning across quite well.. :) ?

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭herya

While not supporting Pamela in any way I'd be very cautious with regard to what the Ambassador says.

Their job is to gloss over everything and to paint their country in the best possible light. Even if some of WHO figures are incorrect, it is still a big drop from "widespread" (I believe figures of 20% were given?) to "nonexistent".

Also to say "“The Nigerian authorities will guarantee the safety of every Nigerian." is simply irresponsible - although I believe that they can guarantee the safety of Pamela's family specifically, them being such a cause celebre.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭herya

Another question to the mix: where is Elizabeth physically buried and is there any documentation available on this?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,777 ✭✭✭✭The Corinthian

“We’ve had people ringing me offering advice and support. They are looking at children and not the paper work.
    Because having photogenic children should excuse everything.
    “Who do you believe? I believe Pamela because women don’t make up stories about dead babies that they didn’t have.”
    I had discounted the murmurs of a Femnazi association with the LTS campaign up until this statement, but it really takes the cake. So women are incapable of stooping to such falsehoods for profit or expediency? And no doubt neither can they ever commit crimes that the rest of us would consider heinous?

Who are these fruitcakes?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,207 ✭✭✭meditraitor

Who are these fruitcakes?

Exactly my thoughts.........

“Who do you believe? I believe Pamela because women don’t make up stories about dead babies that they didn’t have.”

They don't? Really? This from a mother who said: "Whatever I have to do to protect my children, I will do"

Now, unless she said the above, and added as an addendum 'Except making up stories about dead babies that I didn't have' This is completely open to interpretation.

The LHS Brigade can say whatever they like. Until Pamela can provide any credible (Note the word credible there)information to back up the existence of Elizabeth, she may well not have existed at all

“Pamela admits that the death certificate was a forgery but a lot of what the doctor said was inconsistent.

“He said she had no kids before Naomi but she has an 18-year-old son in Nigeria that she has no reason to lie about.

Unless she can provide evidence that her son exists, then who knows about that either. She has already admitted to submitting forged documents, who knows what else has been fabricated?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,327 ✭✭✭Merch

What is the basis for this country accepting Asylum seekers? or people of any nature from any country outside the EU?
    We have no colonial history?
    From what I have read and seen abroad myself, the people in real need of our help will mostly not be able to travel, they are too poor.
    If they were to travel then what are the limits on what this country will accept, are there any? does it depend not on us but on those that travel?

Do we just react?

Does a govt body/dept keep statistics on people of whatever nature entering/leaving this country? if not why not?
    How many people are here, surely we need to know this to collect sufficient taxes to provide necessary and essential services?
    I have traveled a reasonable amount and no matter how poor/affluent the country I was in , they all had immigration checkpoints.
    I don't feel this is the case in Ireland or as an EU Citizen do I just not see that door??

I feel the money spent on this case has been a waste. If proper policies were in place I don't think it would be necessary to go to this length and expense to prove this kind of fraud.
    I think a better policy would be to support people in their country, affect some kind of positive change there.

I have spoken to non Irish about this and their opinion is we have or seem to have weak and dated legislation in a range of issues including if not particularly this.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

It's difficult to ignore the fact that Mrs Izevbekhai's case has become a cause célèbre driven by radical feminists and the hard Left. It has become a crusade for "justice" against the "male," "racist," and "right-wing" establishment of the Irish courts. And it has reached the point where basic facts—such as Mrs Izevbekhai lodging forged documentation with the courts—do not matter.

Donegalfella,I would urge caution here as can be evidenced by Trouser_Press`s post advising me that my "Mask" had slipped when I averted to the existence of a heretofore unpublicised element to Ms Izevbekhai`s campaign.

The LTS campaigners,now somewhat bereft of Factual ingredients will now,most likely,drop the curtain and change the sets to a somewhat more vaporous gender oppression one.

The post Unokanjo responses of the LTS group have been ever more strident on this issue.
    Now that may indeed be an acceptable position to adopt,but NOT in relation to the Asylum application currently under discussion,one which has failed at EVERY point in its progression.

Just to restate my PERSONAL position,I do not consider myself in any way anti-feminist,nor am I anti Pamela Izevbekhai in any personal way,In fact I can well accept that she is a lovely person and a delight to be with,BUT that is not the issue upon which she has chosen to base her attempts for Asylum and Subsidiary Protection.

Facts,and facts alone need to be allowed to prevail in this and all other cush cases,if we stick to them we,as a society will emerge all the better for it !

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

• Registered Users Posts: 650 ✭✭✭blackiebest

AlekSmart wrote: »
    Facts,and facts alone need to be allowed to prevail in this and all other cush cases,if we stick to them we,as a society will emerge all the better for it !

I agree 100%. This is a statement the 'send her home' side (with a few notable exceptions, including the author) should take on board. The case for Pamela certainly seems to be in tatters and I suspect she will enjoy a hotter summer than we will however the volume of gloating and racist posts reflect where we seem to be as a society.

If this family is deported then it should be executed with dignity. Only for Naomi and Jemimas sake we should do everything to ensure the transition is as smooth as possible and I would endorse more resources/money be spent if it will lessen the trauma inflicted on them and insure their re-integration into Nigerian society will be as painless as possible. There is a human element involved here and that is as much a fact as the forged documents. While these kids were not born here they, rightly, consider themselves Irish. They are the real victims. We should consider them and the effects their parents actions will have on them. Some of the posts here are shameful and not reflective of a society I wish to be a part of.

• Advertisement

If this family is deported then it should be executed with dignity..
    dignity is earned also!
    [I would endorse more resources/money be spent if it will lessen the trauma inflicted on them and insure their re-integration into Nigerian society will be as painless as possible.
    Well let you pay for it then. I think the irish people have been bled enough with these cases no? You should take a trip there I guarentee you it is not that difficult a place to integrate into if you are nigerian.

Well let you pay for it then. I think the irish people have been bled enough with these cases no? You should take a trip there I guarentee you it is not that difficult a place to integrate into if you are nigerian.

Dodgyme, it sounds like you are holding the children accountable for their parents actions. This is unfair and uncalled for.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 318 ✭✭rkeane

I agree 100%. This is a statement the 'send her home' side (with a few notable exceptions, including the author) should take on board. The case for Pamela certainly seems to be in tatters and I suspect she will enjoy a hotter summer than we will however the volume of gloating and racist posts reflect where we seem to be as a society.

If this family is deported then it should be executed with dignity. Only for Naomi and Jemimas sake we should do everything to ensure the transition is as smooth as possible and I would endorse more resources/money be spent if it will lessen the trauma inflicted on them and insure their re-integration into Nigerian society will be as painless as possible. There is a human element involved here and that is as much a fact as the forged documents. While these kids were not born here they, rightly, consider themselves Irish. They are the real victims. We should consider them and the effects their parents actions will have on them. Some of the posts here are shameful and not reflective of a society I wish to be a part of.

They will be deported discreetly, it will likely be done in the middle of the night away from the public glare. It is also likely that they will have company on the flight, Minister Ahern has enacted a number of deportations recently and he has indicated that these will become more frequent. I agree that the kids are innocent in this saga ....Ireland is not responsible for the actions of their parents. Lastly we have spent enough of our money on this family, no more money will be spent after they are sent home ...... they are a fairly wealthy family btw.

• Registered Users Posts: 650 ✭✭✭blackiebest

dignity is earned also!

No its not. Dignity is a trait displayed towards others, in all circumstances, by people who possess it.

• Registered Users Posts: 458 ✭✭TomRooney

it will be interesting to see how many of the let her stay brigade actualy travel to nigeria to visit this fraudster who they call a "friend", once she is deported my guess would be they will suck as much media attention as they can get out of it, then forget this woman as quick as they jumped on the bandwagon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 318 ✭✭rkeane

I agree, but the majority of the delay was caused by Ms Izevbekhai's endless appeals and her running away stunt. What we need is the Immigration, Residence and Protection Bill 2008 to be enacted.

• Registered Users Posts: 458 ✭✭TomRooney

all cases of asylum should be dealt with whitin 6 months, with a limited allowance for appeals, there should be just grounds for an appeal other than the person just doesnt like the decision.

we need to get rid of the red tape and beurocracy in Ireland, it is crippling the country.

Big_Mac wrote: »
    Dodgyme, it sounds like you are holding the children accountable for their parents actions. This is unfair and uncalled for.

although I never mentioned the children -...........shouldnt it be the parents responsible for the children? thats fair and very called for

• Advertisement

No its not.

well respect is and she seems to have yours

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement