Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pamela Izevbekhai - Should She Be Deported?

Options

Comments

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,804 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

asdasd wrote: »
    Xenophoba is described as an irrational fear of foreigners. What it is not is a raional fear of abuse of the reources of this small country by the citizens of a country of 100 million people fleeing from a operation common to their culture, to a country of 4 million people. we cant afford that. Economically. Or any way.
    Fine, you don't think that xenophobia is an appropriate term for believing that our scarce resources are better spent on Irish murderers than on Nigerian mothers who have already lost children to FGM. What term would you suggest better describes this distinction?
    Every PC poster on this thread thinks it an argument to just chant racism or xenophobia. ****.
    And some think it's an argument just to rail about the use of the word "xenophobia", rather than demonstrate why it's inaccurate.
    How does he know he is not a brain in a box? Lets apply occurs razor and assume that a report in an national newspaper is true.
    Dangerous assumption, but leaving that aside: if you don't know what methodology was used to arrive at a figure, how can you say it's an appropriate mechanism for vetting applications?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,104 ✭✭✭✭djpbarry

This post has been deleted.
    I don't know, but I imagine the fact that we're an English-speaking country has a lot to do with it - the UK has received a similar number of applications in recent years (last time I checked). The US and Canada also have significant populations (relatively speaking).

But anyway, I think it's equally valid to ask why we receive so few applications from say, Iraq?
    oscarBravo wrote: »
    ...it has been repeatedly pointed out to you that the courts accepted her story, but didn't accept that it was grounds for asylum.
    Just to elaborate a little, what the High Court judge actually said was "that he could not interfere with a valid deportation order where there were no new or exceptional circumstances since the case was assessed by the statutory bodies involved in the asylum process."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 347 ✭✭Irlbo

We are plaugued with problems here in this little burg,we need start looking after our own unfortunate vunrable people,before we start taking in mass amount of asylum seekers with problems they cant prove their having(not saying they areant having problems),unemployment,drug abuse,suicide,high rates of crime,homelessness etc,we have our own problems here without taking in loads of foreigners,most of whom just contribute more to our burdens,and exploit an already damaged welfare system,females are getting multilated in Nigeria,its horrendous and god help them,but Nigeria is an independent country with a democratically elected government,they have policies and laws,let them deal with it,as said here already 'Northern' Ireland has mass setarianism I dont think mass amounts of people there are running around the world looking for asylum

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

What it is not is a raional fear of abuse of the reources of this small country by the citizens of a country of 100 million people...
    You think that Nigerian asylum seekers should be turned away because our island is too "small"? How big is the average asylum seeker?
    ...fleeing from a operation common to their culture, to a country of 4 million people. we cant afford that. Economically.
    Economically, I think it's fair to say that the average person in this country can afford to pay the odd €1.30 per week needed to keep the asylum system ticking over in this country (that's not to say that improvements cannot be made).
    Or any way
    Hmm, in what other ways can we not afford to accept Nigerian asylum seekers?
    In any case with typical multi-culti hypocrisy you would also cry racism, xenophobia; and all the other thought-police cant were someone on this thread to argue that we should ban people from Nigeria because it may imprt FGM here.
    It would actually be racist to assume, based on race or nationality, that somebody MIGHT do something. For example, it would be racist to refuse an Irish person a visa because they MIGHT be a former member of the IRA and they MIGHT decide to plant bombs in pubs.

I think it's worth pointing out that FGM is illegal in pretty much every country in which it is practiced - the problem in most cases is that police forces are either unwilling or unable to enforce these laws.
    Lets apply occurs razor and assume that a report in an national newspaper is true.
    This is the Indo we're talking about - hasn't exactly got a great track record when it comes to "truth".

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 318 ✭✭rkeane

i've known about that story for quite a while, she should have been returned to the UK a long time ago. Dutch customs waiving a Nigerian through.....that is a load of crap. I'd love to start a poll on here and see what the result is.....it would be a landslide in favour of her deportation.

Irlbo wrote: »
    We are plaugued with problems here in this little burg...
    Relatively speaking, no, we're not. In the global scheme of things, we've got it pretty good.

I thought €300 million was the total cost, including genuine cases?
    That article has already been dealt with earlier in this thread. As has been stated countless times, her version of events has been accepted by the courts and that's good enough for me. However, just one point from that article. Why would she have to clear immigration in Amsterdam if she was transferring to a flight to Dublin?
    Can you point out one poster who has said that the asylum process in this country DOES NOT need an overhaul?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭zap27

What really makes me so annoyed is the presumption of that idiotic "residents against racism" crowd that they can make statements to RTE claiming that the majority of Irish people are against her deportation.

Yeah right. This woman came to Ireland like any other Nigerian with one thing on her mind-to live on welfare for the rest of her natural life just like the countless thousands of Nigerian scammers who are doing that as a result of the IBC scheme. I would be confident that the overwhelming majority of Irish people want this scammer deported. We have had ENOUGH.

We cannot even afford cervical cancer jabs, we have taken a 1 or 2% levy on our taxes, we are losing jobs every second and yet this sh ite is going on. The scumbag lawyers defending her are laughing all the way to the bank. I'm still hopeful that she will be deported.

Great! So we'll keep the revolving door open, and keep this endless parade of opportunistic asylum tourists cycling through the system. What's €300 million a year, after all?[/quote] As always, when you don't have an answer to a direct question, you resort to arm-waving and hope nobody will notice.

zap27 wrote: »
    What really makes me so annoyed is the presumption of that idiotic "residents against racism" crowd that they can make statements to RTE claiming that the majority of Irish people are against her deportation.
    Yeah, it sucks when people claim to know the minds of the majority of us, doesn't it?
    I would be confident that the overwhelming majority of Irish people want this scammer deported.
    Hmm.

Well then in that case are you presuming that the majority of Irish people would want her to stay? Theres no grounds for anyone from Nigeria seeking asylum in Ireland. Its a democratically elected country that is not at war. Whats wrong with Holland? Why didnt she apply for asyum there? why do so many Nigerians want to come over here claiming asylum?

It wouldnt be because of our generous welfare system would it? And the fact that word has gotten around Lagos of the thousands of her countrymen and women already here, being coddled by the state at the expense of the taxpayer

If you truly believe otherwise you are just fooling yourself.

Well then in that case are you presuming that the majority of Irish people would want her to stay?
    I'm not presuming anything; I was just pointing out the hypocrisy of your post.
    Theres no grounds for anyone from Nigeria seeking asylum in Ireland.
    You might want to tell Amnesty that. You also might want to explain it to the officials who have already granted asylum to Nigerians.
    Whats wrong with Holland? Why didnt she apply for asyum there?
    Why should she?
    why do so many Nigerians want to come over here claiming asylum?
    I don't know. Have you asked them?
    It wouldnt be because of our generous welfare system would it? And the fact that word has gotten around Lagos of the thousands of her countrymen and women already here, being coddled by the state at the expense of the taxpayer
    You think asylum seekers in Ireland are being coddled?

So we stop accepting asylum applications?

Would you want to be an asylum seeker in Ireland?

This woman came to Ireland like any other Nigerian with one thing on her mind-to live on welfare for the rest of her natural life just like the countless thousands of Nigerian scammers who are doing that as a result of the IBC scheme.
    Ah, finally, the thin veil has been lifted.
    why do so many Nigerians want to come over here claiming asylum?
    So many? As of 2005, there were a whopping 600 Nigerian refugees in Ireland. WOW! How DO we manage? Cameroon has about 10,000.

As for Nigerian asylum applicants, it seems that the sum of applications received by the UK and Ireland has been relatively constant for about 10 years now, but in recent years Ireland has received a larger share than it previously received - the numbers were split about 50-50 in 2005. Why is this? I don't know. Possibly because we're perceived as a relatively wealthy English-speaking country. We did receive a jump in Nigerian applications around about 2001-2002, but so did France, Austria and particularly South Africa.
    http://www.unhcr.org/cgi-bin/texis/vtx/statistics

There's more up-to-date info available at www.irishrefugeecouncil.ie, but their site's being rebuilt at the moment.
    Do you have a list of welfare payments (and free houses, cars, phones, hovercraft, ocean liners, etc.) received by all the Nigerians living in Ireland? Didn't think so.

I better inform the Nigerian lad in my lab – that gob****e’s been working for his money all this time.

• Advertisement

oscarBravo wrote: »
    So we stop accepting asylum applications?

No. We can't do that. However our system has been systematically abused for the last 10 years by opportunists and many many have gotten away with it and are living the life of reilly in this country at the expense of the tax payer.

There needs to be a radical overhaul of the system. The people who work in immigration are not stupid. I have no doubt they are well trained to tell a scammer from a genuine refugee however their hands are tied when it comes to swiftly removing said scammers from this country.

Theres more holes in this womans story than a block of swiss cheese. If she is allowed to stay can you imagine the reaction over in Lagos? They'll be licking their lips, packing their bags and crying FGM when they get off the plane.

There was absolutely no need for her to come to Ireland. If she was a genuine asylum seeker she would have applied in Holland and her case would have been looked at fairly. She chose to come here because we are seen as a soft touch and it was worth the extra hassle for the possible extra pay-off. I simply don't believe this woman.

How could they be tightened? Are you saying that too many people are being recognised as refugees in this country?
    Indeed it should not. Nobody has argued otherwise.

However our system has been systematically abused for the last 10 years by opportunists and many many have gotten away with it and are living the life of reilly in this country at the expense of the tax payer.
    Evidence?

Where does this myth come from?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 347 ✭✭Irlbo

Dpbarry,a Dublin 7 man like myself,you say there's no problems here,have you taken a stroll through,Dominick St,O'Devaney Gardens,Michians House etc lately,working class IRISH people,forced to live in sub-standard slum like conditions,relying on a developer to build them new human livable housing,but alas the builder moved out,wasnt profitable enough,left them in limbo,you cant even see the problems on your own doorstep my friend

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,588 ✭✭✭JP Liz

djpbarry wrote: »
    Relatively speaking, no, we're not. In the global scheme of things, we've got it pretty good.

Please explain :confused:

Ireland is in recession and unemployment has risen

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement