Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pamela Izevbekhai - Should She Be Deported?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭herya

HollyB wrote: »
    "Yes, I love this woman very much and nothing she could do or say would take my love away"

This is actually embarrassing.

• Registered Users Posts: 361 ✭✭HollyB

herya wrote: »
    This is actually embarrassing.

I can't believe the Independent published it, under the circumstances. Surely they could see that Ms Leslie isn't going to be the most objective person to report on the case, given her friendship with Pamela.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭herya

Agree. Maybe in the printed edition it was marked as personal opinion or sth? I can't believe this could be printed as independent commentary.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

This is really getting WAAY out of control now,and not in a good sense for the State either.

If we now see mention of criminal charges such as perjury it only serves to make the LTS campaigners even more ecstatic than before,as it would open up yet another front to campaign on whilst shifting focus even further away from the fundamentals.

There might also be serious problems concerning tonights RTE Documentary and its possible effects on any Jury panel or indeed on applying subliminal presure on any possible witnesses in a criminal case.

The Supreme Court really does have it`s work cut-out here and I am cognicent of it being the Chief Justice himself who was acting as Court Spokesman last Friday.

As I posted earlier the Izevbekhai case really has caught the Irish Media on the hop here,exposing many of its supposed top-level practitioners as little more than amateurish clowns.

I am astounded at the Sunday Independent running Antonia Leslie`s piece under the "Analysis" sub heading as there is virtually NO material of anylitical value in the article as printed.
    Antonia Leslie`s article is OPINION,pure and simple and should have been clearly identified as such.

I note EF`s earlier reference to making a complaint to the Broadcasting Complaints Commission re the RTE documentary and I would strongly support that course of action,especially as we now see the Izevbekhai case developing in a potentially Criminal manner.

The stakes here are INCREDIBLY high and I remain convinced that very few people actually see it in this way.
    What happens here now could well transform this country and set it back a century or more as a credibly self-governing democracy.

If the State and its Judicial apparatus is to allow any more largesse to this womans vexatious litigation then it may well have to extend the exact same courtesy to the many and varied "Jailhouse Lawyers" such as John Gilligan or Pat Holland and many others who make good use of the Study Time inherent in custodial sentencing.

For me it really IS a case of "Standing by this Republic",either that or throw in the towel altogether and find a gated community to accept me !!

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭mealone43

The Raven. wrote: »
    BabyPhoto2.jpg

There are a number of questions that need to be answered, this one in particular. The beautiful little baby in the picture is from the documentary on the Let Them Stay website: http://www.letthemstay.org/

From what I can make out, it appears to have the name Elizabeth Izevbekhai and a date printed on it, although I could be mistaken. If there is no Elizabeth, then who is this child?

This picture and Chopin's Prelude in E minor, in the background, really pull at the heart strings.
    I can put my name on a picture of Elvis and so I would be him then? I hacve seen that child in Waterford, Wexford, Roscommon,, Belfast, London, Berlin etc etc or one that looks like her.:):):)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Someone posted this debacle involved 23 appeals plus an appeal to the European courts.

Ok lets let Pamela's legal team have one final appeal. All evidence to be introduced and I don't mean 23 cases using false documentation.

I lay my faith in the Irish judical system. If she wins the judges will decide if she stays and if she loses she is gone with 24 hours.
    Agreeing to arbitration so to speak.

But no this won't happen so if when she loses the next case maybe ask her family to pay for the legal team.

Everyone is entitled to a day in court and it's right that free legal aid is given to people who cannot afford and need it.
    But 23 cases!

I say one more case and that's it. I would be saying the same if this was an Irish citizen in another case. You get one case, one appeal and that's it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 Hahn Shandy

mikemac wrote: »
    Someone posted this debacle involved 23 appeals plus an appeal to the European courts.

Ok lets let Pamela's legal team have one final appeal. All evidence to be introduced and I don't mean 23 cases using false documentation.

I lay my faith in the Irish judical system. If she wins the judges will decide if she stays and if she loses she is gone with 24 hours.
    Agreeing to arbitration so to speak.

But no this won't happen so if when she loses the next case maybe ask her family to pay for the legal team.

Everyone is entitled to a day in court and it's right that free legal aid is given to people who cannot afford and need it.
    But 23 cases!

I say one more case and that's it. I would be saying the same if this was an Irish citizen in another case. You get one case, one appeal and that's it!

Ireland is in a crisis (just like the rest) how can we continue to support (outsiders) financially??? Are we crazy??? NOW it's time to save the locals...

This thread was just being discussed on Would You Believe on RTE.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭JonathanAnon

This thread got a mention on Would You Believe. I feel famous.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,398 ✭✭✭MIN2511

Details? I didn't watch it tbh... What did they say?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 986 ✭✭✭ateam

MIN2511 wrote: »
    Details? I didn't watch it tbh... What did they say?

What's it saying?

They did'nt say much, just a quick look at the boards logo and the woman talked about some opinions being voiced on it.

Watching the programme and reading the information about the case and the faster shes put on a steam boat home the better. She's a liar who has taken and taken from our country and gave nothign back. It's about time our country realised that we have enough home grown financial difficulties without extending aid to every bleeding heart that reaches our shores. I seriously doubt that if I was fighting deportation in Nigeria I would be given 23 odd appeals.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭JonathanAnon

on now. she's being interviewed by Richard Crowley (I think).

Says that the documentation were forgeries. Also that she gave permission for FGM on her first daughter, says she was pressured.

Nigerian Embassy representative said that FGM is only allowed in the case where the parents give consent. Also say that she is completely exaggerating the number of FGM cases that occur in Nigeria. Embassy dont believe her.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Says that the documentation were forgeries.

And the sentance for perjury or contempt of court is ...........

• Registered Users Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭pbirney

• Registered Users Posts: 2 jeepski

FGM is disgusting BUT it is not our concern, its Nigerias. We shouldn't overhaul our laws or create a dangerous precedent to allow illegal immigrants the right to appease our governments by exploiting this appalling facet of THEIR country's customs, not ours.

If she stays, how many families arrive with the same excuse? FGM protestors are in the right but this is the wrong fight

I agree! This woman should be deported. Her own government said that she will not be harmed. It seems that when someone doesn't want to be deported they say that their daughters will be subject to FGM and 'hey presto' they are viewed as victims and not as the illegals that they clearly are! As said elsewhere in these posts, Ireland has become a soft touch. Other countries have copped on - It's time we did also!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 163 ✭✭cabinteelytom

mikemac wrote: »
    But 23 cases!
    I say one more case and that's it.

You could be underestimating the monetary value to a lawyer of a litigant/appellant with inexhaustable stamina- and access to the ever giving porridge pot that is our legal-aid budget ( now known as the national debt).

The Republic of Ireland actually funds an Embassy in Nigeria. It's in the town of Abuja.
    We should be asking; 'Why did our embassy staff, over the past five years, not go and check out that there was a death certificate, and that the cause of death was that claimed by the appellant?' Death certificates are publicly available documents.
    We are far too tolerant of incompetence by our public sector.

jeepski wrote: »
    I agree! This woman should be deported. Her own government said that she will not be harmed. It seems that when someone doesn't want to be deported they say that their daughters will be subject to FGM and 'hey presto' they are viewed as victims and not as the illegals that they clearly are! As said elsewhere in these posts, Ireland has become a soft touch. Other countries have copped on - It's time we did also!

I agree 100%.

Why all the fuss? Ireland is the Jelly of Europe. When are we going to Solidify and sort out the bend over attitude???

*My thoughts* Taxes etc... in the new budget, Will have a different attitude and different solutions. Do you think Irish people will be as tolerant when our backs are to the wall???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 sean 80

deport her now

she has already cost the taxpayer a fortune. i have been fighting for a proper schoolroom for my child for 4 years (currently in a prefab).

the woman admitted to the forgery and states she is willing to do whatever it takes to stay here on the social.

sean 80 wrote: »
    deport her now

she has already cost the taxpayer a fortune. i have been fighting for a proper schoolroom for my child for 4 years (currently in a prefab).

the woman admitted to the forgery and states she is willing to do whatever it takes to stay here on the social.

Sean, Ireland is full of bleeding hearts...

I hope the dole queue's will open the stevie wonder eyes...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,339 ✭✭✭congo_90

Imagine some complete stranger in the streets said. Hey give me 300,000 euro to stop me having my genitals "mutilated". What would you do? Walk away? too right ya would unless your insane! So why why why must we debate it just because she didn't approach you in the streets but rather seeked asylum. They don't come her by accident, they come here (bypassing all of europe and another sea) because we have such leniant laws.

Bottom line. Send her back. let her be mutilated. Its not our concern what happens in her country. Her life is NOT in any immediate danger which is the only reason I think asylum should be granted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 sean 80

let's hope so

the irish government can say very little on the record about this case. lets just say they know an awful lot more

• Registered Users Posts: 650 ✭✭✭blackiebest

You could be underestimating the monetary value to a lawyer of a litigant/appellant with inexhaustable stamina- and access to the ever giving porridge pot that is our legal-aid budget ( now known as the national debt).

The Republic of Ireland actually funds an Embassy in Nigeria. It's in the town of Abuja.
    We should be asking; 'Why did our embassy staff, over the past five years, not go and check out that there was a death certificate, and that the cause of death was that claimed by the appellant?' Death certificates are publicly available documents.
    We are far too tolerant of incompetence by our public sector.

If you go back a few pages you will read why. It is insane that it was never checked out before.

As a long time supporter of Pamela I am sickened by the revelations over the past 9 days. The programme by RTE was pointless IMO and I find it amazing that Pamela was not asked the obvious hard questions that still linger.

My sympathies lie with Jemima, Naomi and the many Sligo people who believed and supported her in what they believed was a very valid case.

Contrary to how they are potrayed here, all of the people I know involved in the LTS campaign are normal caring individuals and I feel the 'hidden adgenda' allegations are unwarranted. I can only speak for myself but suspect many of them feel as I do tonight, pretty sickened and very sad.

I dread what this case will ultimately do to promote divisions amongst communities and fuel racist thinking. Damage to genuine asylum will be incalculable.:(

• Registered Users Posts: 650 ✭✭✭blackiebest

congo_90 wrote: »
    They don't come her by accident, they come here (bypassing all of europe and another sea) because we have such leniant laws.

Bottom line. Send her back. let her be mutilated.
    Its not our concern what happens in her country. Her life is NOT in any immediate danger which is the only reason I think asylum should be granted.

This I what I fear the most, while you may be entitled to your opinion, I think it is shameful to post such sentiments.

• Registered Users Posts: 361 ✭✭HollyB

My sympathies lie with Jemima, Naomi and the many Sligo people who believed and supported her in what they believed was a very valid case.

They backed her in good faith and, since the Izevbekhai family are living in Sligo, that's understandable. If somebody's child is in the same school as Naomi and Jemima, or if they know the family personally instead of as names and photos in a story, it's natural that they would want to protect them if they believed them to be at risk, and that their view of the case would be governed by the heart over the head, especially as children are involved.

The sad thing is that I expect that for many who believed in Pamela's story and who lobbied the Minister and campaigned on her behalf, this will be very disillusioning and they won't be as quick to trust the next story, which may be told by somebody who genuinely needs asylum.

If you go back a few pages you will read why. It is insane that it was never checked out before.

As a long time supporter of Pamela I am sickened by the revelations over the past 9 days. The programme by RTE was pointless IMO and I find it amazing that Pamela was not asked the obvious hard questions that still linger.

Contrary to how they are potrayed here, all of the people I know involved in the LTS campaign are normal caring individuals and I feel the 'hidden adgenda' allegations are unwarranted. I can only speak for myself but suspect many of them feel as I do tonight, pretty sickened and very sad.

I dread what this case will ultimately do to promote divisions amongst communities and fuel racist thinking. Damage to genuine asylum will be incalculable.:(

I'm not sure what you mean??? "Pamela was not asked the obvious hard questions that still linger." Whom should have asked the questions???

If she was telling the truth then we would'nt be in this situation.

Divisions arise when people feel that what they have is at risk from outsiders. The USA and Britain didn't welcome the Irish with open arms. We had to earn the right to be citizens...

pbirney wrote: »
    Any relation to Colin in waterford?

Very few "genuine asylum seekers" nowadays. 95% economic refugees

congo_90 wrote: »
    Imagine some complete stranger in the streets said. Hey give me 300,000 euro to stop me having my genitals "mutilated". What would you do? Walk away? too right ya would unless your insane! So why why why must we debate it just because she didn't approach you in the streets but rather seeked asylum. They don't come her by accident, they come here (bypassing all of europe and another sea) because we have such leniant laws.

Bottom line. Send her back. let her be mutilated. Its not our concern what happens in her country. Her life is NOT in any immediate danger which is the only reason I think asylum should be granted.

Where is the proof that anyone's life is in danger???

This is scaremongering for the sake of asylum...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

I respect Blackiebest and others for their upfront and committed support of Pamela Izevbekhai`s case thus far.

Their lack of guile is refreshing and I fully appreciate what blackiebest is suffering as this person turns to straw in front of their eyes.

That said,I have to highlight the words "I Know" in blackiebest`s post as I have little doubt but that the LTS campaigners have been manipulated and misdirected in a very effective way by a FEW highly motivated and well funded individuals with MASSIVE axe`s to grind.

With the falling away of the general support level,these motivated individuals,who in some cases prefer to remain in the shadows will most likely be forced into breaking cover now.

This may well reveal some interesting new angles to this Comedy/Drama ..... ;)

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement