Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pamela Izevbekhai - Should She Be Deported?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

This post has been deleted.

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,804 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

Are we back to the old trick of confusing asylum seekers, refugees and immigrants again?

Which Nigerians? Nigerian immigrants? Nigerian refugees? Nigerian asylum seekers?

• Advertisement

How many are refugees?

That's not quibbling. We're being told that there's practically an industry established around coming here from Nigeria, claiming asylum and settling back into a life of luxury on social welfare.

You've just admitted that you don't know how many Nigerian refugees are claiming social welfare, which means that the entire thrust of your argument is based on xenophobia at best, and racism at worst.

• Registered Users Posts: 523 ✭✭✭Lauder

YES she should be deported.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 318 ✭✭rkeane

Lauder wrote: »
    YES she should be deported.

If the majority had a say on boards she'd be packing already.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,185 ✭✭✭asdasd

which means that the entire thrust of your argument is based on xenophobia at best, and racism at worst.

A double whammy!

Tthe people who wish to keep her here because of the danger in nigeria are engaging in Islamophobia at best and cultural supremacism at worst

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 6,376 Mod ✭✭✭✭Macha

asdasd wrote: »
    Tthe people who wish to keep her here because of the danger in nigeria are engaging in Islamophobia at best and cultural supremacism at worst

That is utter, utter horse****. People who pull the cultural relativism card in relation to things like torture and the violation of human rights are the lowest of the low. The WHO's view on FGM:
    FGM is recognized internationally as a violation of the human rights of girls and women. It reflects deep-rooted inequality between the sexes, and constitutes an extreme form of discrimination against women. It is nearly always carried out on minors and is a violation of the rights of children. The practice also violates a person's rights to health, security and physical integrity, the right to be free from torture and cruel, inhuman or degrading treatment, and the right to life when the procedure results in death.

But according to you, being a cultural supremacist is worse than allow this to happen to young girls - a practice that has actually been outlawed by the laws of Nigeria. Is the government of Nigeria guilty of cultural supremacism as well?

And the claim that fgm has anything to do with Islam just so ignorant. It's cultural, and has nothing to do with Islam.

A double whammy!
    Wow, you've just totally dismantled my entire argument. Not.

I asked earlier why this woman was the target of so much spite and bile. I think this thread has made the reason clear: it's because she's Nigerian. Feel free to explain to me how that's not racist.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

rkeane wrote: »
    i've known about that story for quite a while, she should have been returned to the UK a long time ago. Dutch customs waiving a Nigerian through.....that is a load of crap. I'd love to start a poll on here and see what the result is.....it would be a landslide in favour of her deportation.

You'll find that the popularity of a notion and its truth are two different things.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 619 ✭✭✭O'Morris

oscarBravo wrote: »
    I asked earlier why this woman was the target of so much spite and bile. I think this thread has made the reason clear: it's because she's Nigerian. Feel free to explain to me how that's not racist.

Very simple. Nigerian isn't a race, it's a nationality. It would be more accurate to describe the reason as being anti-Nigerian.

O'Morris wrote: »
    Very simple. Nigerian isn't a race, it's a nationality. It would be more accurate to describe the reason as being anti-Nigerian.
    Xenophobia it is then, albeit a highly-focused xenophobia.

The only people criticising Nigerian culture here are the Open borders fanatics ( backward Nigeria's got FGM).

But as I said before FGM is merely a mechanism by which the PC brigade try and legitimise unrestricted immigration from Nigeria. the thing is of course they would chant racism if some politican were to demand a reduction in Male nigerian immigration because of the risk of FGM spreading here.
    You'll find that the popularity of a notion and its truth are two different things.

It is both popular that she should be deported and true that she should be, under international law.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 619 ✭✭✭O'Morris

oscarBravo wrote:

I don't think it could be called xenophobia either. Xenophobia is a general fear or a dislike of foreigners. What you have uncovered is at most a dislike of people from one particular country. Would it not just be a lot easier to just say that people are anti-Nigerian and leave it at that?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,791 ✭✭✭speedboatchase

I'm Anti-scroungers and overly PC newspieces, does that count?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 6,376 Mod ✭✭✭✭Macha

The only people criticising Nigerian culture here are the Open borders fanatics ( backward Nigeria's got FGM).

But as I said before FGM is merely a mechanism by which the PC brigade try and legitimise unrestricted immigration from Nigeria. the thing is of course they would chant racism if some politican were to demand a reduction in Male nigerian immigration because of the risk of FGM spreading here.
    Again, do you think that the Nigerian government is guilty of being on the PC brigade and being cultural imperialists?

You just keep bleating out the same arguments and refuse to answer the questions that people put to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,104 ✭✭✭✭djpbarry

Really? None whatsoever? I think you may want to double-check that assertion.

Refugee ≠ Immigrant

I'm amazed how people have so much difficulty in grasping such a simple concept.
    FGM has nothing to do with Islam. And cultural supremacism? WTF?
    O'Morris wrote: »
    Nigerian isn't a race, it's a nationality. It would be more accurate to describe the reason as being anti-Nigerian.
    Splitting (very fine) hairs.
    Who said anything about "opening borders"?
    But as I said before FGM is merely a mechanism by which the PC brigade try and legitimise unrestricted immigration from Nigeria.
    Once again:

Refugee ≠ Immigrant

Why don't you go away and study that equation for a little while and come back to us when you've managed to fully grasp it.
    the thing is of course they would chant racism if some politican were to demand a reduction in Male nigerian immigration because of the risk of FGM spreading here.
    As I've said already, refusing somebody entry to the country because, based on their nationality, it is assumed that they MIGHT do something, would be racist.

If anyone is found practicing FGM in this country, they should be prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law, regardless of their nationality.
    It is both popular that she should be deported and true that she should be, under international law.
    What international law is this?

I may be mistaken, donegalfella, but I think the point oscarBravo made is that if the woman in question were say, Latvian, the case wouldn't have elicited the sort of general ravings about immigration, refugees and asylum seekers as it has.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,104 ✭✭✭✭djpbarry

Do you have a source for this? There's a great big glaring inaccuracy in your calculation (if it is YOUR calculation, that is).

• Advertisement

Well, the concerns over Nigerian refugees, immigrants & asylum seekers are well-founded (imo) but there is a lot of misinformation flying around and some people are being quite irrational and hysterical about it.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement