Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pamela Izevbekhai - Should She Be Deported?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,318 ✭✭✭O'Coonassa

If I were her, I would ask instead to be fed and supported by you :D

Lol Seriously though Nigeria is not good, you would not want your little childrens future to be there if you could escape it, you would at least tell some lies if you had to. I don't actually mind about FGM, African womens I talked to are cool about it, they say they do it for hygeine and appearance. Those little girls are going back to something far worse than FGM. When they were here they had a future but now they're finished. I wouldn't even force a dog back to Nigeria never mind little kids.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

Some woman from a dirt poor place told some lies to get into a place where by comparison they have all the money in the world. If you were her, standing in her shoes, how can you claim with any credibility that you would never do the same?

It`s been a long day,but have I come back to the correct thread...?....we are discussing Pamela Izevbekhai here yes ...??.....Banking Executive..?....Married to Tony,Mercedes 4WD.....nice house with Servants....?...Or is this Mary Coughlan we`re talking about..? ;)

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

• Registered Users Posts: 361 ✭✭HollyB

O'Coonassa wrote: »
    Lol Seriously though Nigeria is not good, you would not want your little childrens future to be there if you could escape it, you would at least tell some lies if you had to. I don't actually mind about FGM, African womens I talked to are cool about it, they say they do it for hygeine and appearance. Those little girls are going back to something far worse than FGM. When they were here they had a future but now they're finished. I wouldn't even force a dog back to Nigeria never mind little kids.

In Ireland, they live in direct provision accomodation, sharing one room. In Nigeria, the family is apparently very comfortably off, with a big house, servants and expensive cars. Both girls attended a private creche in Nigeria. They also have a father and brother in Nigeria, from whom they have been separated for years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,318 ✭✭✭O'Coonassa

HollyB wrote: »
    In Ireland, they live in direct provision accomodation, sharing one room. In Nigeria, the family is apparently very comfortably off, with a big house, servants and expensive cars. Both girls attended a private creche in Nigeria. They also have a father and brother in Nigeria, from whom they have been separated for years.

The people with big houses, servants and expensive cars do not want to leave the land of their birth but any sensible person would know the place isn't safe for kids. Especially girls.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 574 ✭✭✭SWL

Mena wrote: »
    I'd define that as a racist stance simply because you appear happy, by omission, to fund any white welfare claimant, but not any Black or Asian.

The cost of asylum seekers has nothing to do with the asylum seekers themselves, and everything to do with the inept process and systems put in place by the government. Though it's nice to be able to pick on the soft targets ain't it?

Your gross generalisation really show your argument for what it is, vapid and xenophobic.

And finally, I'd appreciate it if you could do some research and learn for yourself the difference between an asylum seeker and a legal economic migrant. You appear happy to lump the two together which simply smacks of ignorance on the issue.

PI has continuously told lies, provided the Courts of Ireland with forged documents, cost the Irish taxpayer in the region of €500,000. The least Ireland should expect is respect for our laws from people who have decided to move live and work here. Your contribution is instead of being outraged is to criticise Irish welfare recipients (many of whom I assume paid PRSI & Tax to claim state assisted welfare) I detect a nonchalant Stance on Law for an Irish person and one for a non national?

It is important to remember that Ireland is not a former Colonial power unlike Belgium, France etc FGM from my research is only carried out with the parents consistent, it is not Ireland’s problem.

This woman has done more damage to GENUINE asylum seekers than any "Racist" Irish person although it is the Irish who will bear the narrow definition of a racist when they become sceptical about AS in the future. Playing the race card as you did in your quoted posts will help nobody and is an immature generalisation.

The cost of the AS system is ridiculous, because it is trying to be a humane system with a avenue to natural justice, if individuals feel they were not given a fair hearing they can appeal, this however has been abused by non genuine AS, costing 300 million a year, if we refused the right of appeal, there would be post playing the race card AGAIN.

Instead you criticise the soft target that is the Irish Government attempt to set up a process to verity claims made for asylum, and then not blaming the cost on the individuals who don’t pay for it chancing their arm, maybe it would be better for Irish society that you condone the criminal behaviour of PI

Maybe your right turn all AS back at the airport without any hearing procedures, certainly save some valuable money and deny the right of asylum to genuine seekers.

FGM is not Ireland problem it’s Africa. We have plenty of problems to keep us all busy and I think we should concentre on those.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,219 ✭✭✭Lab_Mouse

Oh i see you like Sinn fein , how did they do yesterday in Tyrone ? oh thats right from 15 commemerations they managed 1 because the familys told them where to go. the day before sinn fein office burnt down in Derry, mm just shows that your bullcrap chat gets nothing done, yes i hate blacks and asians that take the piss from my country, i also hate anyone that does it even white ppl, and unlike any other party we are allowed to have our own thopught aswell as going with the party. Its called democrocy, as for that other bimbo Mina she is obviously a black or an ilegal herself . all today at the GPO Dublin we had Irish people coming to us for answers on how to drop the amount of foreign ppl in ireland, 1 women had to move out of ireland to get work away from her family and friends . and how dare you try to mention someone like Ruairí Ó Brádaigh when he is not here to tell either of us what he would think, its not up to you to decide either way just because you dont agree with me, and i can see many like you on this site full of ****e, you sit in front of a computor with your little thoughts and do fek all about anything, but i bet in time your be telling your grand kids how you faught for the rights of irish ppl, so PUT UP OR SHUT UP, next saturday we will amongst many other be in moore street dublin will you ? 3pm, your so irish that you dont even know what for. i dont care what anyone here has to say especially bollox like you. talk talk talk thats all you can do. moron

do you be on stormfront at all?

Although she stands over her claim, the admission of counterfeit documents led last week to an application by her solicitor, Gabriel Toolan, and her counsel to cease acting for her in a Supreme Court appeal against the High Court’s rejection of her case. Ms Izevbekhai is seeking new lawyers.

Oh dear,the dry-ice machine is really getting into gear now.
    It`s becoming clear that the LTS campaign is now embarking upon a smoke n mirrors attack.

Whereas last week we were assured that a new brace of Senior Counsel were waiting in the wings to embrace Ms Izevbekhai`s case,this has now been amended to her "Seeking" such fellows,on the open market no doubt.

This,when coupled with unsavoury accounts of "Death Threats" to her children,brings an entirely new Public Relations slant to the case.

Hopefully,the Gardai are investigating the "Death Threat" allegations and if they are proven true,the perpretrator should recieve the full rigours of the Law in relation to them.
    I would go further and place the person(s) responsible on the same aircraft back to Lagos and let them sort their nasty little minds out in a more congenial climate than Irelands.

This thread has shown that there IS room and necessity for debate on this and many other associated topics,however those responsible for the alleged "Death Threats" only serve to Increase the chances of Pamela Izevbekhai being granted some form of "Special Status" on the back of those very threats.

Ireland,Mother Ireland...You`re breeding them still.... :o

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭TheInquisitor

There should have been a poll added to this thread. If there was id give a ten to deporting her. The second it became apparent some of the documents she submitted were forgeries and that she had known they were forgeries should of ended the debate. Until then i had sympathy for her. After that i just think she is ANOTHER nigerian scammer!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,032 ✭✭✭ParkRunner

What popped out at me was:
    A spokeswoman for the Strasbourg court told The Irish Times it would wait for Ms Izevbekhai’s response – which must be received by April 29th - before considering the Government’s request. If that request is granted, the State could proceed with the family’s deportation on the conclusion of their current Supreme Court challenge

Once the ECHR have given the Irish government the go ahead to deport Ms. Izevbekhai, I can't see any obligation on the goverment to wait until the Supreme Court appeal is determined before deporting her :confused: She can fight her appeal from Nigeria if she wishes to do so but it is possible that a judgment from the Supreme Court could take months, even years.

The latest Home Office Report on Nigeria has been released. Their position on FGM has not changed. Internal relocation is possible to escape such a threat and such claims should be classed as clearly unfounded.

http://www.unhcr.org/refworld/country,,,,NGA,,49e474092,0.html
    3.9 Female Genital Mutilation (FGM)
    3.9.1 Some female applicants may seek asylum on the basis that they, or their children, would be forcibly required by family members to undergo female genital mutilation (FGM) if they were to return to Nigeria.

3.9.2 Treatment. FGM is a cultural tradition that is widely practised in Nigeria. The Nigeria Demographic and Health Survey (NDHS) estimated that approximately 19% of the female population has been subject to FGM, although the incidence has reportedly declined steadily in recent years. While practised in all parts of the country, FGM is reportedly much more prevalent in the south among the Yoruba and Igbo. Women from northern states are
    reportedly less likely to undergo the severe type of FGM known as infibulation. The age at which women and girls are subjected to the practise varies from the first week of life until after a woman delivers her first child; however, three-quarters of the NDHS 2003 survey respondents who had undergone FGM had been subjected to it before their first birthday.

3.9.3 Sufficiency of protection. The Federal Government publicly opposes FGM, but in 2008 took no legal action to curb the practice. Bayelsa, Edo, Ogun, Cross River, Osun, and Rivers states have banned FGM, but non-governmental organisations (NGOs) have reportedly found it difficult to convince the local government area authorities that state laws were applicable in their districts. The Ministry of Health, women’s groups, and many NGOs have sponsored public awareness projects to educate communities about the health hazards of FGM. They have worked to eradicate the practice, but financial and logistical obstacles remain.

3.9.4 Internal relocation. The Nigerian constitution provides for the right to travel within the country and the Federal Government generally respects this right in practice. Internal relocation to escape ill-treatment from non-state agents is almost always an option. In the absence of exceptional circumstances, it would not be unduly harsh for any individual in this category, whether or not they have family or other ties in any new location, to internally relocate to escape this threat.

3.9.5 Conclusion. Whilst protection and/or assistance is available from governmental and non-governmental sources, this is limited. Those who are unable or, owing to fear, unwilling to avail themselves of the protection of the authorities, can safely relocate to another part of Nigeria where the family members who are pressurising them to undergo FGM would be unlikely to be able to trace them. Women in this situation would if they choose to do so, also be able to seek assistance from women’s NGOs in the new location. The grant of asylum or Humanitarian Protection is unlikely therefore to be appropriate and such claims should be certified as clearly unfounded.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Mena

I'm not sure where you're getting this from but I'll reply anyway.
    SWL wrote: »
    PI has continuously told lies, provided the Courts of Ireland with forged documents, cost the Irish taxpayer in the region of €500,000.

We're in agreement here, unless you misquoted me, I don't see where the problem is.
    The least Ireland should expect is respect for our laws from people who have decided to move live and work here.

Again, I fully agree. I would go as far as to say that "foreigners" coming to a country, any country, should be held to a much higher standard than anyone else. We are after all, until naturalisation occurs at the very least, guests.
    Your contribution is instead of being outraged is to criticise Irish welfare recipients (many of whom I assume paid PRSI & Tax to claim state assisted welfare)

My response, to an earlier post by EnigmasWhisper that claimed "millions and millions" are being spent on "these people", was simply to highlight that those who have turned the Irish Welfare System into a career would be my first concern. Upon second reading of that post I admit it comes across badly but that was not my intention.

I'll hasten to add that those foreign nationals currently on welfare have also paid, at the very least, two years worth of PAYE and PRSI.
    I detect a nonchalant Stance on Law for an Irish person and one for a non national?

Most certainly not, and I'd like to know what exactly gave you that opinion? I'll re-itterate the point I made above: ..."
    "foreigners" coming to a country, any country, should be held to a much higher standard than anyone else. "
    It is important to remember that Ireland is not a former Colonial power unlike Belgium, France etc FGM from my research is only carried out with the parents consistent, it is not Ireland’s problem.

As an African, I can assure you it is often carried out without either the mother or fathers consent. Your research is wrong, but then, that's only my educated opinion, take it for what you want.

You're right, FGM is not an Irish problem, it's humanities problem.

This woman has done more damage to GENUINE asylum seekers than any "Racist" Irish person although it is the Irish who will bear the narrow definition of a racist when they become sceptical about AS in the future.

I agree, the damage done to Asylum Seekers in this case will be immense, and that is a sad pity. As for the Irish people being deemed racist, I doubt that. I've been here going on ten years and have met hundreds and hundreds of people, not one of which ever showed the least tendency toward racism. The only place I tend to encounter it is from keyboard warriors on the internet.
    Playing the race card as you did in your quoted posts will help nobody and is an immature generalisation.

There was no generalisation at all. It was a direct acusation at ONE person posting on this thread. And I stand by it.

The cost of the AS system is ridiculous, because it is trying to be a humane system with a avenue to natural justice, if individuals feel they were not given a fair hearing they can appeal, this however has been abused by non genuine AS, costing 300 million a year, if we refused the right of appeal, there would be post playing the race card AGAIN.

I agree. The whole process has decended into farce and made a mockery of the entire system.

Instead you criticise the soft target that is the Irish Government attempt to set up a process to verity claims made for asylum, and then not blaming the cost on the individuals who don’t pay for it chancing their arm, maybe it would be better for Irish society that you condone the criminal behaviour of PI

The Asylum System is a mess, anyone who can't see that is not looking. Yes, I blame the government. It is they who have created the system. Yes it's being abused by certain people, but those loopholes need to be closed, a balance must be found. I've seen no movement there. Remember, I pay PRSI and Tax as well, so it has an indirect affect on me too.

Maybe your right turn all AS back at the airport without any hearing procedures, certainly save some valuable money and deny the right of asylum to genuine seekers.

Where have I said this? I come from Africa, I have seen and experienced what these people are running from (though I am an economic migrant, not an AS as you put it). I fully believe Ireland must take it's responsibilities as defined under the Geneva Convention seriously. Nowhere have I said the borders must be closed... :confused:

FGM is not Ireland problem it’s Africa. We have plenty of problems to keep us all busy and I think we should concentre on those.

While I agree we certainly do have problems, they pale in comparison to what some must endure, and through all of this it is vital that we maintain our humanity. We are all the same species.

Cases like this, where there has been a blatant abuse of the system (or so it would appear), do nothing but harm the reputation of genuine Asylum Seekers and Migrants in general.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,412 ✭✭✭jmcc

EF wrote: »
    What popped out at me was:

Once the ECHR have given the Irish government the go ahead to deport Ms. Izevbekhai, I can't see any obligation on the goverment to wait until the Supreme Court appeal is determined before deporting her :confused: She can fight her appeal from Nigeria if she wishes to do so but it is possible that a judgment from the Supreme Court could take months, even years.
    I think that the government wanted to execute the deportation order after the Supreme Court hearing had ended. The case is up for mention on the 30th of April and that seems to be why the ECHR has set the 29th of April as its own deadline for PI's reply. I think that I read that some solicitors and counsel are considering taking the case this week though it may have become downright toxic with the admission of the use of forged documentation as the basis for the appeal.

The tone of the Irish Times' coverage seems to have changed. It doesn't seem to be using the happy-clappy, gullible fool approach any more. It will be fascinating to see how the Irish media reacts.

Regards...jmcc

jmcc wrote: »
    I think that the government wanted to execute the deportation order after the Supreme Court hearing had ended. The case is up for mention on the 30th of April and that seems to be why the ECHR has set the 29th of April as its own deadline for PI's reply. I think that I read that some solicitors and counsel are considering taking the case this week though it may have become downright toxic with the admission of the use of forged documentation as the basis for the appeal.

The chances are if the case was actually going to be heard by the Supreme Court, we may get a hearing date on April 30th. The case would then have to be heard at a later date and more than likely judgment will be reserved, to be delivered a few months down the line. At least that's what generally happens and I can't see the government sitting on their hands with no obligation on them to allow her and her two children remain in the State.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,412 ✭✭✭jmcc

EF wrote: »
    The chances are if the case was actually going to be heard by the Supreme Court, we may get a hearing date on April 30th. The case would then have to be heard at a later date and more than likely judgment will be reserved, to be delivered a few months down the line. At least that's what generally happens and I can't see the government sitting on their hands with no obligation on them to allow her and her two children remain in the State.
    It depends, I think, on whether there are any submissions from PI's side to the State's affidavits. The SC accepted the State's affidavits 'de bene esse' (for the time being) at the last hearing. From my limited understanding of the legal situation, it is up to PI's side to counter those affidavits by providing proof that what is contained in the State's affidavits is wrong. Since she has already admitted that forged documents were used in the appeals her case is in very serious trouble. The State wants the appeal dismissed as an abuse of the legal system.

Regards...jmcc

Oh Dear...just when we thought it might be concluding.......along come`s Kevin Myers with this......

http://www.independent.ie/opinion/columnists/kevin-myers/our-population-of-nigerians-is--probably-large-enough-thank-you-1708357.html

Presumably the LTS and the Supreme Court are clearing their diaries for the next decade....:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 569 ✭✭✭lods

AlekSmart wrote: »
    Oh Dear...just when we thought it might be concluding.......along come`s Kevin Myers with this......

http://www.independent.ie/opinion/columnists/kevin-myers/our-population-of-nigerians-is--probably-large-enough-thank-you-1708357.html

Presumably the LTS and the Supreme Court are clearing their diaries for the next decade....:rolleyes:

oh my god i find myself agreeing with Kevin Myers:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭Sizzler

lods wrote: »
    oh my god i find myself agreeing with Kevin Myers:eek:

Excellent article.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Mena

The article, for those link challenged:
    It was certain to happen. Another Nigerian woman is now seeking asylum on the grounds that her daughter faces circumcision if she returns to Nigeria.

The mother was herself circumcised when a little girl, as was her other daughter, and against the mother's wishes. She says the girl's circumcision was organised by her mother-in-law and a family friend when she was out of her home in Nigeria.

Now she and her two daughters are living in Cork, and want to stay here to protect the single unmutilated member of the family from circumcision.
    Cue megaphone debate about the evils of female genital mutilation.
    But there is nothing to debate. Female genital mutilation is evil and disgusting. Which is not going to protect us from bawled statements of the Patently Bloody Obvious from our moral high grounders, who can be relied on to dominate almost any discussion about anything in Ireland -- usually, courtesy of RTE, and therefore the licence-payer.

The matter is a practical one. Regardless of the assurances from the Nigerian ambassador that female circumcision is rare in Nigeria, all the evidence points in the opposite direction. There are approximately 140 million people there: which means around 70 million women. I suppose we can give them all asylum, on the grounds that they have been circumcised, and are therefore victims of a cruel and oppressive system, or because they haven't been, and therefore are likely to be if they remain in that happy country.

That is the logic of permitting the threat, or the fact, of FGM as unassailable grounds for giving asylum -- and not just to Nigerians. FGM is commonplace in most African countries north of the equator. But contrary to the assertions of the World Health Organisation -- which can usually be relied on to put a feminist slant on any phenomenon it doesn't like -- FGM does not, in its words, "reflect a deep rooted inequality between the sexes, and constitutes an extreme form of discrimination against women".
    For FGM is universally done by women, and usually at the instigation of other women. Why, I do not know, any more than I understand why around the world, millions of Muslim women are now adopting the veil. Some female mass-behaviour is so profoundly counter-rational as to defy analysis by a poor, baffled, western-educated male.

Anyway, if we were to allow every intact, but at-risk, African woman or girl into Ireland to avoid FGM, then Mullingar could soon become Mogadishu, and Limerick would become Lagos. To be sure, most of us would probably agree that the Shannonside region would probably be considerably improved with the arrival of thousands of Hausa Fulani. But that is not the point.

If we concede that the threat of FGM is a compelling reason for us to grant asylum to any African female, then stand by and watch Ireland being rapidly transformed as tens -- or even hundreds -- of thousands of Africans come here.

Of course, this simple certainty will probably not inform any media discussion on any individual case, which will inevitably focus on the evil fate awaiting any girl who is returned to whatever barbaric FGM-performing society she hails from. So it cannot be left to the media, or even the courts, to decide on these issues: we cannot trust either. Which is why it's my inclination to give asylum over the threat of FGM to African girls (and their families) who are already here. It is already difficult enough to have a reasoned debate on this matter, or indeed any other, without the High Moral Grounders bawling out the Perfectly Bloody Obvious -- and meanwhile calling people they disagree with racists, or bigots, or Holocaust deniers, or whatever. And by God, no reasoned debate about asylum-seekers would be remotely possible if we expelled a little girl back to Africa, and the poor little thing were then circumcised, or even worse, died as a consequence. Neither our courts nor the media would be immune to the hysteria that would result. So if they're here, they stay.
    But otherwise, it's up to those heroic Solomons of Dail Eireann to act. We must have a clear and unequivocal immigration/asylum law which simply declares that the threat and/or fear of FGM are henceforth not acceptable reasons for foreigners to unlawfully enter this country, in the expectation of being granted asylum later.

Whether Dail Eireann is capable of such intellectual clarity is, however, another matter. After all, it has never managed to have a single debate on immigration in 15 years of inward-population flow. But if it hasn't the stomach for such a law today, it will sooner or later find it -- for "avoiding" FGM will rapidly become the routine pretext for illegal immigration into Ireland (and, of course, mysteriously by-passing half-a-dozen other countries on the way).

I am probably not alone in thinking that our present population of Nigerians is probably quite large enough, thank you. We have, after all, no imperial legacy or guilt to expiate towards them. We cannot allow a wholly understandable fear of female circumcision in their otherwise delightful country to become the preferred method of securing an under-the-counter admittance into Ireland.

I'm inclined to agree with his views in the article as well. It's well put and realistic. While FGM does happen, and does happen "by force", it's in no way practical for Ireland to tackle the issue by granting asylum to every African women on these grounds.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭EnigmasWhisper

http://www.independent.ie/opinion/co...u-1708357.html

Good article, but this Pamela woman should not stay, obviously !

• Registered Users Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭Sizzler

http://www.independent.ie/opinion/co...u-1708357.html

Good article, but this Pamela woman should not stay, obviously !
    The article has already been posted :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 220 ✭✭Papad

I HATE it when posters use misquotes (lie) just to suit their political agenda.

Kevin Meyers did not say that they should stay because the girls are now so well integrated into Irish society. He said that they should stay because the public would not be able to handle the outcry from the 'moral high grounders' (unabashedly put forward by RTE) if the girls were to return to Nigeria and FGM was carried out.

Also where did he say on the article that he doesn't believe that such cases should not be allowed to drag on for 4 years? Of course they shouldn't. But I want to know where it was on the article.

He did say:
    We must have a clear and unequivocal immigration/asylum law which simply declares that the threat and/or fear of FGM are henceforth not acceptable reasons for foreigners to unlawfully enter this country, in the expectation of being granted asylum later.

And I agree with him (irrespective of the political incorrectness and the usual racist/bigot accusations) that our present population of Nigerians is probably quite large enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭herya

Papad wrote: »
    He said that they should stay because the public would not be able to handle the outcry from the 'moral high grounders' (unabashedly put forward by RTE) if the girls were to return to Nigeria and FGM was carried out.

Honestly what kind of argument is this? That the rules should be broken because somebody is making enough fuss? It absolutely undermines the point of the whole article.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,777 ✭✭✭✭The Corinthian

Papad wrote: »
    Kevin Meyers did not say that they should stay because the girls are now so well integrated into Irish society. He said that they should stay because the public would not be able to handle the outcry from the 'moral high grounders' (unabashedly put forward by RTE) if the girls were to return to Nigeria and FGM was carried out.
    No he did not. He said that they would stay because the public would not be able to handle the outcry from the 'moral high grounders' - he was not defending this and was pointing out the insanity in it. Also, he was referring to another case, in Cork, and not Izevbekhai.
    herya wrote: »
    Honestly what kind of argument is this? That the rules should be broken because somebody is making enough fuss? It absolutely undermines the point of the whole article.
    Only if you actually think he was defending their right to stay, which he wasn't.

People; please read the article. I know it's Meyers, but at least it's not that long.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭herya

Only if you actually think he was defending their right to stay, which he wasn't.

He says:
    Which is why it's my inclination to give asylum over the threat of FGM to African girls (and their families) who are already here.

Maybe not too willingly but he agrees to give them asylum (because "courts and media cannot be trusted") - which is totally against the argumentation in the rest of the article.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 220 ✭✭Papad

No he did not. He said that they would stay because the public would not be able to handle the outcry from the 'moral high grounders' - he was not defending this and was pointing out the insanity in it. Also, he was referring to another case, in Cork, and not Izevbekhai.

People; please read the article. I know it's Meyers, but at least it's not that long.

This is what he said:
    Of course, this simple certainty will probably not inform any media discussion on any individual case, which will inevitably focus on the evil fate awaiting any girl who is returned to whatever barbaric FGM-performing society she hails from..........And by God, no reasoned debate about asylum-seekers would be remotely possible if we expelled a little girl back to Africa, and the poor little thing were then circumcised, or even worse, died as a consequence. Neither our courts nor the media would be immune to the hysteria that would result. So if they're here, they stay.

So he was not only talking about the new case in Cork. And from what I surmise is that if they are here already, then they should be allowed to stay because of the debacle that would follow if anything happened to a girl on her return to Nigeria. Yes, he was talking about the insanity of it, but letting them stay (which I do not agree with) would mean that this situation would not happen.

Yes, the article is not long so a re-read would benefit some.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,987 ✭✭✭JohnMc1

AlekSmart wrote: »

Is anyone really surprised about another Nigerian woman coming up with this FGM story? The Govt practically asked for it with their inability to handle the Izevbekhai case.

• Advertisement

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement