Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pamela Izevbekhai - Should She Be Deported?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 538 ✭✭✭markopantelic

In the past eight years, Ireland's total number of asylum seekers was less than the UK or France takes in any one year.

Here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 318 ✭✭rkeane

Here.

So what are you saying? Relevancy is important.....the point is?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,529 ✭✭✭zynaps

rkeane wrote: »
    So what are you saying? Relevancy is important.....the point is?
    One point is that an awful lot of noise is made over a relatively small issue here. Perhaps a bit of the old racism rears its ugly head.

zynaps wrote: »
    One point is that an awful lot of noise is made over a relatively small issue here. Perhaps a bit of the old racism rears its ugly head.

This is not a small issue, this is a very clear case of a fraudulent asylum claim. Pamela Izevbekhai submitted fake documents to the courts, all this while harping on about this invisible dead kid. This case has cost circa 500, 000 Euro, people are not racist for wanting to see fraudsters deported.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,529 ✭✭✭zynaps

This is not a small issue, this is a very clear case of a fraudulent asylum claim. Pamela Izevbekhai submitted fake documents to the courts, all this while harping on about this invisible dead kid. This case has cost circa 500, 000 Euro, people are not racist for wanting to see fraudsters deported.
    I'm not talking about this case in particular; I mean a more general anti-asylum/anti-immigration stance which seems somewhat popular of late. Certainly Izevbekhai has revealed some weaknesses in the system that can be exploited by charlatans, and she needs kicking out.

The thing that worries me somewhat is that a lot of genuine asylum seekers (and normal immigrants) can be tarred with the same brush.
    Last Tuesday I mentioned the Izevbekhai case to a guy I know who works in the asylum process (for the Department of Justice, afaik). He responded by first stating that the case is obviously a sham (which is fair enough) and added that Nigerians are completely untrustworthy and will say anything to get ahead (which is somewhat less fair).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

I'm not talking about this case in particular; I mean a more general anti-asylum/anti-immigration stance which seems somewhat popular of late. Certainly Izevbekhai has revealed some weaknesses in the system that can be exploited by charlatans, and she needs kicking out.

The thing that worries me somewhat is that a lot of genuine asylum seekers (and normal immigrants) can be tarred with the same brush.
    Last Tuesday I mentioned the Izevbekhai case to a guy I know who works in the asylum process (for the Department of Justice, afaik). He responded by first stating that the case is obviously a sham (which is fair enough) and added that Nigerians are completely untrustworthy and will say anything to get ahead (which is somewhat less fair).

And for this response Zynaps,you can write a letter of thanks to Ms Izevbekhai,her supporters and her representatives across the media and legal spectrum.

You are quite correct to be worried about the fall out from this case,but please do not attempt to draw down on the racism acount when referring to the many anti-Izevbekhai posters on THIS thread,most of whom have been very correct in their handling of the issue.

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

• Registered Users Posts: 513 ✭✭✭Onearmedbandit

Is she still here?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 410 ✭✭johnathan woss

In the past eight years, Ireland's total number of asylum seekers was less than the UK or France takes in any one year.

Here.

So ?

The UK and France get loads of asylum seekers.
    And they both have populations that are more than 8 times that of ireland.

What could possibly be your point ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 538 ✭✭✭markopantelic

I definetly agree with that, but how is it possible that only 340 Iraqi refugees are in this country? I would have expected the numbers to be far higher.

Irelands asylum policy is very strict though, it only accepts around 9-10% of applicants.

• Advertisement

Typing from a bed in Hospital at the moment (dam relapse of MS) I can see the results of Ireland's lax asylum regulations. Directly in front of me I have 2 Nigerian's who both got leave 2 remain due to the IBC scheme, they were involved in an RTA yesterday in Santry. One guy has been somewhat forthcoming, he openly tells me that he spent 8 months in the UK prior to going to Ireland to seek asylum. The courts found against both of these guys at all stages, they were only allowed to remain as they conveniently arrived with heavily pregnant partners. This loophole was closed by a massive majority in the citizenship referendum...that was also labled as racist by a vocal minority. Despite the closure of this loophole bogus asylum seeking has continued....this is due to the very low deportation rate. This hopefully will change with the forthcoming enaction of the Immigration Residence and Protection Act.

If that bill was in place at the time Ms Izevbekhai made her bogus application she would have been gone within months. Her case is a clear fraud.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭Serenity Now!

It has cost a fraction of state cases in non-race/immigration related issues (go on, pick a tribunal or any investigative 'independent' inquiry) yet somehow threads (if any) about these cases don't seem to run quite as long...
    Very strange that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭Serenity Now!

You are claiming that 90 per cent of Asylum Seekers in Ireland are frauds? Where do this figure come from?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,318 ✭✭✭O'Coonassa

Found by who exactly? I thought you were a libertarian. I should be able go where I please on my planet.

€300 million on largely fraudulent cases, Pamela Izevbekhai gets all the headlines but its a widespread problem.

Why has nobody ever asked why so many middle class Nigerians seek asylum in Ireland? We need to enforce all deportations, a message must be sent to all those thinking of trying similar stunts.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

I should be able go where I please on my planet.

How does one interpret this statement ?

I`m just a little lost as to whether it signals the end of currently accepted mores of civilized coexistance,flawed though they may be.

How will this "New World Freedom" be managed ?

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

• Registered Users Posts: 361 ✭✭HollyB

Not just social welfare (and at least there are some limits to that, in the sense that you have to pay into the PRSI system for a number of years before you can avail of many of the benefits) - things like the education system and healthcare provision also cost money. It's not as though we can say that, if somebody immigrates to Ireland with their family - or even if somebody is born in Ireland and starts a family; probably can't discriminate in that respect - their children can't avail of public education and the whole family can't avail of public healthcare until they have paid PRSI and taxes for whatever number of years.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,412 ✭✭✭jmcc

O'Coonassa wrote: »
    And I'm sure you will be very happy there. Meanwhile back on Planet Earth...

Regards...jmcc

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭KINGVictor

Found by who exactly? I thought you were a libertarian. I should be able go where I please on my planet.

I am against racism in all its ramifications but I am also against people exploiting the Asylum system in Ireland or any other country for that matter.It is not rocket science that a lot of Nigerians have fraudulently claimed asylum in this country ,I have lots of Nigerian friends and they attest to this fact.Pamela's case is unfortunately a classic example of absolute dishonesty and cunning which has backfired on her.

I think it would only be the correct thing to deport her to set a precedence for future dishonest asylum claims...very simple.I share your views on libertarianism but there has to be boundaries ,otherwise the whole concept essentially would be meaningless...we are not just some idiotic theorists with no substance.

Does this just apply to countries, or do you suggest that somebody should have the right to move into somebody else's house, and expect to be given joint ownership of that house? If one rejects the idea that the citizens of a country should not have the right to decide who may and may not live in that country, does a private home owner have the right to decide who may and may not live in their home?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 410 ✭✭johnathan woss

What gives YOU the right to take MY money (taxes) and give it to bogus asylum seekers ?

No, that's my point. With an open door policy, things like healthcare and education would be available to anybody who entered but with no requirement that the family has to pay taxes and contribute before they can avail of this. Can you imagine the extra pressure it would put the educational system under, for example, if a few thousand families with school age children entered the country in September, with no school places ready for them?

• Registered Users Posts: 55,960 ✭✭✭✭walshb

So ?

The UK and France get loads of asylum seekers.
    And they both have populations that are more than 8 times that of ireland.

What could possibly be your point ?

I would say at least 12 times our population.

For a small country with a relatively small population, Ireland has it's fairly
    relevant and noticeable asylum figure!

I would say 12-15 percent of the population are foreign nationals.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 94 ✭✭paddyboy23

pamela izevbekhai has cost this country millions already even her own lawyers who lie for a living couldnt take anymore of this womens lies,to set up a fake doctor in the hosptial to talk to irish radio and tell lies how stupid are we the mayor who gave this women a civic reception should be sent back with her why is it taking so long for the court case its time to say goodbye to pamela

• Closed Accounts Posts: 163 ✭✭cabinteelytom

paddyboy23 wrote: »
    pamela izevbekhai has cost this country millions already ...

We got just one tiny morsel of value for money back; thanks to this one minutely examined case, our voters can see for themselves just how gullible our public figures, politicians, legislators and journalists, truly are.
    This exposure of ineptitude ( appeal after appeal by a single individual over years) was very expensively purchased by us ; and we should in future test the assertions/conclusions/preachy platitudes of these public figures against the facts (facts, that they would often prefer did not come to our view).

Demand transparency in respect of asylum claims, and awards! Let's have accountability.

Breaking News: Pamela Izevbekhai has a cold, the case has been put back for another month. :)

You never know with this woman, she is very good at getting short hearings.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,256 ✭✭✭squonk

I can't believe this BS is going on still, and allowed to go on still. She's falsified docs, she should have been kicked out of the country ages ago. Taxpayer's money is still being spent on this farce. She's obviously trying to cheat the system so that's good enough reaon to send her back to her own country. The issues surrounding her children are a matter for her and her own country.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement