Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hillary regales public with Bosnia memories

Options
  • 25-03-2008 8:23pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭

from bbc
    The row over Mrs Clinton's 1996 Bosnia visit follow a speech she made on Iraq last week, in which she described herself and her daughter Chelsea being at some risk as they arrived.

She said: "I remember landing under sniper fire. There was supposed to be some kind of a greeting ceremony at the airport, but instead we just ran with our heads down to get into the vehicles to get to our base."

The video clip played by CBS on Monday shows Mrs Clinton and Chelsea walking across the tarmac smiling and waving before stopping to shake hands with Bosnia's acting president and meet an eight-year-old girl.

Hillarys' "swiftboat" moment? ;)

Mike.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 83,241 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Sky News just covered this. Even the reporter was given her flame over it: "Rule number one of politics is to keep your facts straight when theres lots of cameras around." :p

This'll cost her.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

I dunno what's wrong with her really. Sure it was only a couple of weeks ago that she was called out for saying that she was "instrumental" in the Good Friday Agreement.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,539 ✭✭✭ghostdancer

it's ok, she "misspoke" about it.....3 times. :rolleyes:

vid for those who haven't seen it:
    http://youtube.com/watch?v=8BfNqhV5hg4

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Cringing moment for the Clinton camp.

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 465 ✭✭snellers

they are trying to turn it around by implying she just used the wrong phrase......they are now saying there were snipers in the area and the meet n greet was cut short.....(but not to the extent they ran for cover!)
    mmm....another Clinton telling lies.....can't say it surprises me though!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,539 ✭✭✭ghostdancer

......but wait! Clinton's newly found memories of what actually happened still don't add up:

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2008/03/25/politics/main3967223.shtml
    She claimed she misspoke and was sleep deprived, but CBS News has found several times in the past few months Senator Clinton used the Bosnia trip to try to show her international experience, reports Sharyl Attkisson. Clinton did so in Iowa in December, Texas in February and also last week.

After CBS News video showed what really happened when she landed and greeted officials, Senator Clinton maintained there were risks but explained to the Philadelphia Daily News why she was seen on the Bosnia tarmac greeting a young child if it was really so dangerous.

"I was also told that the greeting ceremony had been moved away from the tarmac but that there was this eight-year-old girl and I said, 'Well, I, I can't, I can't rush by her, I've got to at least greet her,'' Clinton said. "So I greeted her, I took her stuff and I left. Now that's my memory of it."

Once again her memory doesn't match CBS News videotape, Attkisson reports. She and her daughter Chelsea lingered on the tarmac to greet U.S. military officials, took photos, and then walked to the armored vehicle where she did, eventually, duck and enter.

dig up, stupid!

Blondes, I tell ya :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 857 ✭✭✭Corega

Pity the fact that there wasn't actually any snipers around that day.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭flogen

dig up, stupid!

Ha, yeah... I heard her latest explanation about it being a rush ceremony and thought "hmm... that's still not what I saw!".

To say she "mispoke" or made a "misstatement" is such verbal manure - there's no way she make an honest mistake again and again in pre-prepared statements on her foreign policy experience. She lied, plain and simple.

What's most interesting is that this very obvious howler has drawn light onto the other claims she has made were there is uncertainty. I thought that questions over her role in NI were done and dusted but they're being picked right back up again - as is her claim to have negotiated opening borders with Macedonia during her trip to Kosovo in 1999 (you know, the borders that were opened before she arrived).

Obama had his toughest test so far with the Wright controversy and seems to have come out clean from it - he is helped by the fact that this story has popped up just as his own one was dying down.

This will probably be the biggest test Clinton has had to face so far about her Presidential abilities and she's seriously on the back foot.

What does she do? Admit she lied on numerous occasions to make herself look good? Or say she just got it wrong and paint herself as a confused candidate with a very bad memory? Either way, it's clear that her "red phone" ability is now in serious question.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,377 ✭✭✭Benedict XVI

Next she will be telling us that she invented the internet, when everyone knows that Al Gore invented it.

• Advertisement

I was pretty sure The Bush Administration invented the internet. Around the time they started pressuring all the media about being patriotic; americans started looking to other sources of information. And it kinda followed on from there. Thats around the time message boards really kicked off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,552 ✭✭✭✭GuanYin

Why are Stewart and Colbert off the air when the good stuff happens :(

rejoice, friend:

http://www.thedailyshow.com/

and colbert finally upgraded his site

http://www.comedycentral.com/colbertreport/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,552 ✭✭✭✭GuanYin

Overheal wrote: »
    rejoice, friend:

http://www.thedailyshow.com/

and colbert finally upgraded his site

http://www.comedycentral.com/colbertreport/

Thanks, I knew about them though.

I mean Comedy Central aren't airing new shows at the moment.

Their week off :( damn.

Im heading over to Jon's facebook page to let him know i miss him.

Hillary was telling the truth!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 118 ✭✭WECpoker

mike65 wrote: »
    Hillary regales public with Bosnia memories

The Final Knife in her back that will propel Obama to the General Election against McCain

She will not be able to spin the "pastor controversy" in enough directions to overcome this latest gaffe. Unless Obama shoots himself in the foot with five guns, Its all over.

Americans know politicans are liars, but when they keep catching them doing it so publicly, they drop them in a hurry.

Advertisement