Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Passed test - next steps??

Options
  • 25-03-2008 8:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭

Passed my test on my first try in Tallaght this afternoon :D

Feeling great and over the moon. Picked up 7 grade 2 faults but now who cares ;)

Removed the L plates as soon as I got over with. Thats what the tester said, get rid of them :)

Picked up the application form for full driving license at the test centre. Just wondering, is it possible to apply by post or you have to go to one of the offices and apply personally? Anyone any idea?

Second question is, can you call your insurance company to inform them that you have passed the test and ask for some discount/refund? Or do I have to wait till I have got the full license in my hand? I mean will the ask for the full license number?

Any help, much appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 559 ✭✭✭ZygOte

sorry i dont know the answer to either question but just wanted to say well done :) i still remeber the relief that washed over me the day i passed mine :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭coldfire1x

ZygOte wrote: »
    sorry i dont know the answer to either question but just wanted to say well done :) i still remeber the relief that washed over me the day i passed mine :)

Thanks a lot :)

You bet, its such a big relief after hearing horror stories from my friends that you never pass on your first try etc etc.

I would say bit of luck and the mood of the tester is a major factor. He was kind of serious, never said a word during the test other than the instructions but in the end he said with a smile, congratulations you have passed and that really was a music to my ears :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,493 ✭✭✭Fulton Crown

You can apply by post - yes the Insurance company WILL want to know Licence Number

• Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

I would say you have to wait until you get your full license in your hand before being able to get your refund, but there's no harm in ringing to make sure. And congratulations on passing, it's just the best feeling ever, OOWWWEEEE!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭jhegarty

You can post them in, but they are important documents , so best to go in person (also quicker to fix any problem on the form)....

Phone your insurance once you get your new license , most give cash back....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,190 ✭✭✭Dublinstiofán

jhegarty wrote: »
    You can post them in, but they are important documents , so best to go in person (also quicker to fix any problem on the form)....

Phone your insurance once you get your new license , most give cash back....

Well done

I had my full license for 10 months before claiming it and i got the money back off the insurance after 1.

All they wanted from me was a copy of the driver competency certificate. Might be worthwhile faxing a copy of that over to them get the airgead back quicker.

Not sure if this is the same with all companies but its what mine asked for first.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,094 ✭✭✭✭javaboy

I rang Quinn when I got my license and they never asked for a license number. They still gave me a discount. I suppose they will ask for it when renewal time comes around though.

^^ I might give it a try tomorrow. If the competency certificate does the trick then it will be great :)

It was a good suggestion to go in person for the application, if the documents get lost in post that will be a big headache.

Thanks a lot for all the suggestions and replies. Much appreciated :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,826 ✭✭✭SeanW

Inform your insurance company now. Depending on how much time is left on your policy, you could be in for a considerable windfall. Tell them that you just passed your test and provide them with whatever documentation or information they might require. Don't delay with the Certificate of Competency, the quicker you get that plus your completed app, fee and signed photographs into the tax office, the faster you will get your license.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 123 ✭✭Todoquetengo

Well done!! I remember when I passed my test lst year I was so delighted! I rang my insurance company that day and they gave me 150 euro refund (was about half way through my policy). They said I didn't need to wait until I had the license and I never sent them any documents so it's def worth ringing up to check :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭Saint_Mel

Well done!! I remember when I passed my test lst year I was so delighted! I rang my insurance company that day and they gave me 150 euro refund (was about half way through my policy). They said I didn't need to wait until I had the license and I never sent them any documents so it's def worth ringing up to check :D

Same here, rang my insurance company straight after I passed.
    All they needed was my licence number and they did the rest.

Unfortunately I didnt have long left on my policy so I only got a refund of €15.
    On the up side though, my new premium went down a good bit :)

Well done on passing.

Rang my insurance company 10 minutes back.

She asked me whats your query. I said, passed by driving test yesterday. And in a flash she said, so you must be looking for some refund :-D My reply was, you bet.... I do :)

She did not ask for anything, no license number, not even a copy of competence certificate. All she said is wait let me update your details.

At the end of it I got a refund of €45.60, considering my policy is ending on 12th May, I guess its not bad :-D

I am looking forward to lower premium while renewing by policy next time. Any tips about how to haggle... :)

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭sbhatia

coldfire1x wrote: »
    Passed my test on my first try in Tallaght this afternoon :D

Feeling great and over the moon. Picked up 7 grade 2 faults but now who cares ;)

Removed the L plates as soon as I got over with. Thats what the tester said, get rid of them :)

Picked up the application form for full driving license at the test centre. Just wondering, is it possible to apply by post or you have to go to one of the offices and apply personally? Anyone any idea?

Second question is, can you call your insurance company to inform them that you have passed the test and ask for some discount/refund? Or do I have to wait till I have got the full license in my hand? I mean will the ask for the full license number?

Any help, much appreciated.

Passed mine on friday, rang the insurance company yesterday, all they asked me to send me the fax of certificate which i did and they gave me 123€ refund, i only have 3.5 months left (Which is good enough), and next year premium will definately be more less ofcourse i will shop around, also went yesterday to apply for my full licence and guy told me i should get it by friday ( very quick), i think you should go your self as it is safe and quick. Well done.

^^ They did not even ask me to fax the certifacte. Nothing was asked actually.

Going to apply my full licence soon. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 123 ✭✭Todoquetengo

Going to apply my full licence soon. :)

Make sure you don't lose the cert cos you have to do it again if you do :p

^^ Thanks for the warning, I will keep it really safe.

I have no intention of taking the test again. One test is scary enough. :p

Know what? Yesterday while leving for the test centre from my office, I picked the envelope thinking its my appointment letter. At the reception the lady asked me for it and when I opened the it I realized that I picked the wrong one, it actually was the confirmation letter that they have received my application for the test. God, I got so scared and nervous... I asked her do I have to go back to get it thiking I may not be back in time. But she was nice :) She said dont worry, it will be fine, your details will be with the tester. Still I wasnt convinced, I asked her again what if the tester comes out, did not find the letter and refuses to take the test. And she again said relax take a seat it will be alright. As soon as I saw the tester, I said sorry I forgot my letter (thinking it really is a bad omen). To my surprise he said dont worry you have your address on this letter as well and thats what I am interested in.

All well that ends well :D

• Registered Users Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

If you post it in, don't forget to take photocopies of your provisional license and the certificate of competency!

I don't trust the post so i'm going to go to a motor tax office this week in person.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭Saint_Mel

I am looking forward to lower premium while renewing by policy next time. Any
    tips about how to haggle... :)

Yep, I haggled a bit as both my girlfriend and I are named on each others
    policy and we also have our house contents insured with them.
    Hibernian that is :)

Her insurance was coming up for renewal too so we told them if we didnt get
    a better deal than initially offered, we'd go elsewhere with the lot.

^^ I am with AIB but they do with Hibernian only. Most definately I am going to give it a good try next month :)

^^ I am with AIB but they do with Hibernian only. Most definately I am going to give it a good try next month :)

I am with AIB (Hibernian) too, i tried to check online for my next year insurance and there is a huge diffrence, Quinn direct is giving me quote €400 cheaper than AIB on same car, and other Problem with AIB is that they won't do insurance of vehicle more than 1.4, to get a quote for that you have to do some ignition test. Well thats my case, you try and let us know.

• Advertisement

^^ Yeah I heard Quinn Direct are giving some good deals. I will try both of them next month and let you know how it goes.

Got my full driving licence at last :)

I must say it was really quick. I applied in Coldalkin office on Thus and got my licence on Fri even though the lady at the counter told me that it will take approx 1 week.

I got mine in 2 days. Enjoy your pinky now :)

Advertisement