Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Console noob needs help!!

• 25-03-2008 8:36pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 48

Hi All,

I am looking to buy a new console fairly soon so I have some questions if you have time to help I would appreciate it.

First off I am stuck between the xbox and ps3. I have been reading some posts and the xbox seems to be a flawed product (red rings) and you will need a warranty. I was in xtravision today and I heard a guy behind the counter telling his friend "oh and the xbox will crash" when referring to a customer who called in about their xbox promotion.

I am swayed towards the xbox because of the price drop and it is a lot cheaper in comparisson to the ps3 thought the ps3 has the blu ray. If you were to recommend the xbox which one I dont think I would go for the elite. I know the difference between the arcade and the pro is the hard drive and the cables that come with it. I will be using which ever console for online gaming. I known that xbox is ahead here currently and with titles but sony have catch up plans. Whatt benefit is the hard drive I have a pc for movies and such?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,570 ✭✭✭Damien360

robd55 wrote: »
    Hi All,

First off I am stuck between the xbox and ps3. I have been reading some posts and the xbox seems to be a flawed product (red rings) and you will need a warranty. I was in xtravision today and I heard a guy behind the counter telling his friend "oh and the xbox will crash" when referring to a customer who called in about their xbox promotion.

I am swayed towards the xbox because of the price drop and it is a lot cheaper in comparisson to the ps3 thought the ps3 has the blu ray.

Thanks

get an xbox. You need the harddrive to save games. Yes the xbox fails, but it is covered by a 3 year warranty. It is much cheaper than the PS3. Also, look in the second hand bins. There are'nt even half the number of PS3 titles going second hand compared to the xbox. I have'nt bought new for ages and have been looking at the PS3 also, but the second hand game availability for it is poor. Buy the pro xbox with the wireless gamepad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 duff365

I would also go with the 360.
    I got the 3 red rings and got it repaired out of waranty. On this particular fault it seems they will extend the warranty.
    I'm not sure but i got mine when they first came out so i got the fault, i was just wondering if anyone has got the red rings after buying it more recently.
    Good luck with whatever you go with.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 500 ✭✭✭zuchum

Imo the xbox has better exclusive games (Halo,Gears of War,Bioshock),more downloadable content and better all round internet experience because there is such a good base of gamers,and of course its a lot cheaper. I was thinking of getting a ps3 for the blu-ray when it gets reduced but at the moment,and for games,I'd go with a 360 Pro (arcade is bollocks)...

Unless youre a massive MGS or Final fantasy man,id say 360..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,132 ✭✭✭silvine

Seeing as this is the XBox forum...get an Xbox ;)

Seriously though, if you do decide to get an Xbox make sure you get a hard-drive, you will need it. If you can afford the extra cash the Elite is worth it too, 20Gb fills up fast when you play a lot games and download arcade games and some demos. Plus they have a film service too, which should grow in time, meaning your hard-drive will be needed.

Someone in Xtravision told me they were getting a load of Xbox 360s returned and I bought a PS3. Big mistake, I spent months looking enviously at the Xbox 360 games. I traded it for the Xbox and took the loss. And now the only thing I miss is the Blu-ray player. Regarding the Red Rings of Death, a lot of the newer 360s are a lot more reliable too so you will have less to worry about. Admittedly they are still noisier than the PS3.

Regarding online gaming you do have to pay around €50 a year to play on the Xbox but the service is generally well managed, geared towards gamers, easy to use and (arguably) worth the cash.

Whatever you do buy, look at both systems and decide what games appeal to you and then make your decision. It's software first when it comes to consoles.

Or just listen to people in this forum...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭A-Trak

silvine wrote: »
    Whatever you do buy, look at both systems and decide what games appeal to you and then make your decision. It's software first when it comes to consoles.

Everything this man said! Especially this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,148 ✭✭✭Passenger

Going to get the xbox 360 Arcade for when GTA comes out, do you think that the Arcade is enough for just playing the odd game here and there, ? i.e. will the memory card that comes with it be enough?

If you get an Xbox stretch the extra bit of cash for the Pro. You will need a harddrive at want one and some stage and they cost over €120 to buy last time I checked.
    There's good Pro bundles anyway, and I'm sure there will be a GTAIV one too.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,693 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

Current Xtravision deal is get the Pro+4 Games+Extra Controller for €309 I think it is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,881 ✭✭✭Kurtosis

Any idea what the choice of games is like jonny?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,580 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

All the 20gb 360s now are gonna be 60 soon arent they?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,693 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

Its from 6 games i think but most are Halo 3, PGR 4, Viva Piniata 2, Gear of War and a few others.

You won't get a better introduction to the XBox than chainsawing someone in half in Gears of War or 'nading a noob in Halo.

Project Gotham Racing isn't bad either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,241 ✭✭✭Vic Vinegar

Hi All,

I am looking to buy a new console fairly soon so I have some questions if you have time to help I would appreciate it.

I am swayed towards the xbox because of the price drop and it is a lot cheaper in comparisson to the ps3 thought the ps3 has the blu ray. If you were to recommend the xbox which one I dont think I would go for the elite. I know the difference between the arcade and the pro is the hard drive and the cables that come with it. I will be using which ever console for online gaming. I known that xbox is ahead here currently and with titles but sony have catch up plans. Whatt benefit is the hard drive I have a pc for movies and such?

Thanks

Hi, I used to have both consoles, i sold my PS3 due to almost complete lack of usage, I played Ratchet & Clank and Uncharted: Drakes Fortune (both class games btw) on it. All the other (imo) decent games so far are on both consoles, games that are on both are invariably better on the 360 (as demonstrated on Eurogamer.net in their console face-offs where they compare games on both consoles) + the 360 has a whole host of exclusive "must buy" games, a better online service & way cheaper price point

To sum up, get an Xbox!

Spoken like a true believer, and you've got the points to back it up!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,649 ✭✭✭Not The Real Scarecrow

Had problems with my 360 a while ago and out of frusration was considering jacking it in and getting a ps3....but I just couldn't do it.It seems to be a thing with people that have 360's, that you end up falling madly in love with the ****er.Sure it can be realy annoying when or if it breaks down or crashes but on the plus side the range of games is farbetter than the ps3.
    The way I look at it from my biased point of view is that the wi or nintendo is for casual gamers, the ps3 is for people of all ages who play a litte more but the 360 is for hardcore mature gamers.The on line experience of halo 3 or cod4 can't be compared to ps3.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 48 robd55

Thanks to all who posted here and offered their advice it was much appreciated and helpful. Yesterday I took the plunge and got the pro bundle in xtravision for 300 euros. The games available were halo 3, pgr4, gears of war, scene it, blue dragon or something like that and another car racing game I cant remember. I was disappointed because they didnt have gears of war:( but I exchanged it for asassins creed and the guy let me change the blue dragon? title also I got frontline fuel of war instead along with Halo3 and pgr4.Cost me an extra fiver because asassins creed was a fiver more expensive so 305 in total. I would say if you push them they could be a bit flexible with the games. I am on nights at the mo so havent had a chance to get my teeth into it until the weekend then the covenant are going to pay.

Thanks once again to all:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 215 ✭✭D3UC3 J3

Passenger wrote: »
    Going to get the xbox 360 Arcade for when GTA comes out, do you think that the Arcade is enough for just playing the odd game here and there, ? i.e. will the memory card that comes with it be enough?

Maybe not, it wasn't big enough for Forza 2 and i'd say GTA 4 will have a lot of save info.

Stump up for the Pro and you'll be laughing. The arcade games aren't great anyway, not much to keep your interest for long.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,241 ✭✭✭Vic Vinegar

Yesterday I took the plunge and got the pro bundle in xtravision for 300 euros)

You made the right choice! ;)

(the 360, not the Xtravision part!)

Advertisement