Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

PPC-1 Question

• 25-03-2008 8:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,009 ✭✭✭

how's it going.

i finished my fe-1 exams nearly a year ago and began working in a local office here in limerick last september. while i knew i wasnt going to be apprenticed here as it's quite a small office and there is someone in the queue ahead of me as regards apprenticeships, ive been here a lot longer than i expected and the experience has been invaluable and will hopefully aid me in the future. my boss told me that thay could offer me a traineeship but i would have to wait over a year until one of the current apprentices qualifies but very much recommended i try get into ppc1 this sept, one way or another . he said that if i couldnt secure a apprenticeship in the near future he would sign all the paperwork allowing me to enter ppc1 this sept and once i started in sept i could continue searching from then. i know this isnt the ideal way of doing things but im 26 now and would like to get qualified as soon as possible. i know a couple of people who have taken this approach and it worked out fine, but i know it's not exactly encouraged by the law society and was an approach i really didnt want to take but i am strongly considering it now. i will be finishing in my current office around june and im sure the situation will be a lot clearer by then. im just wondering has anyone taken this approach (essentially get someone to say they are taking you on even though they are not just so you can complete ppc1) or have any thoughts on this.

thanks very much
    k

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭dats_right

I didn't do it myself, but know plenty of people who have over the past 2 or 3 years. Most of whom it worked out for, but equally know of a few on this years course who are having many a sleepless night at the moment, as they try secure something! All the economic doom and gloom is certainly having an affect on the profession, jobs aren't as easy to come by (okay they are still there, particularly if you trained at a top 5 firm, but make no mistake jobs for NQ's are getting tougher to get).

As I see it, the main advantage is that you will probably qualify quicker than you otherwise would. The disadvantages are that you will have to pay your own fees (circa €13.5k if you have to pay for the two courses and Indenture fees), you obviously won't get any wages either, nor have you any guarantees that you will secure a bona fide traineeship after the PPC1 (will it be as easy to transfer your apprenticeship in 12 months time or will economic circumstances mean it is even harder?) and even if you do manage to, you may not get the type of firm or quality of training that you had hoped for, which could make it difficult to secure employment in other firms post-qualification.

You need to weigh up the pro's and con's for yourself and make an informed decision. I know the feeling of bursting blood vessels to get on the course and get qualified, but in retrospect, I feel I made the right decision waiting for a proper apprenticeship in a good firm who would also pay my fees and wages.

Advertisement