Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Uniteds Current Squad (Ronaldo, Nani etc etc)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 387 ✭✭hanton12

Are people talking about the Premiership player of the year or the world player of the year, or is it just that people on here think its the same thing? There's more to world football than the top 4 teams in England.

Ronaldo is a great player, there is absolutely no denying that. But what has he achieved in big games. His record against the top 4 is average at best, and the CL has been a poor hunting ground for him, not really doing much. This year he has scored a good few goals in the league stage, so by that alone, his form this year has gone up. But its now that it counts, and I'd like to see how he does against Roma, and then should Utd get through, how he would do in subsequent games.

As great and all as I think Ronaldo is at winning 'tough' games against Fulham and Bolton, its only when he starts being the match winner against the like of the top 4 and the top sides in Europe where he'll get his recognition justified.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,692 ✭✭✭Loomis

Your standing in game isn't based on your performances against 3 teams. It's based on your performances consistently over a season against everyone.
    With that he is the best player in the world this season.
    He's not Tiger Woods, he's not Maradonna or Pele. So what? He is the best player in the world this season. Anyone who disputes that is missing something.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,698 ✭✭✭IrishMike

hanton12 wrote: »
    Are people talking about the Premiership player of the year or the world player of the year, or is it just that people on here think its the same thing? There's more to world football than the top 4 teams in England.

Ronaldo is a great player, there is absolutely no denying that. But what has he achieved in big games. His record against the top 4 is average at best, and the CL has been a poor hunting ground for him, not really doing much. This year he has scored a good few goals in the league stage, so by that alone, his form this year has gone up. But its now that it counts, and I'd like to see how he does against Roma, and then should Utd get through, how he would do in subsequent games.

To all the idiots that keep saying so what if he scored 33 goals this season,
    he has never done it against the big teams please shut the hell up.
    33 goals in a season for a winger is mindblowing, even if he got 20 of them in
    the FA cup against 3rd division teams.
    Just because its a Man Utd player people are begrudging.
    He is an amazing player who would walk into any team in the world and
    will be world player of the year.
    And to the person who said id like to see how he will do against Roma or
    another big team, he scored twice against them last year in 1 match.
    How much more of an impact do u want.
    Damn stupid baseless arguments :rolleyes:
    To make things worse i dont even like Man Utd or Ronaldo but i can
    appreciate a top class player when i see one

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,798 ✭✭✭Mr. Incognito

I hate United.

I hate Ronaldo as a personality.

But as a soccer player, he is a genius. People need to seperate the petulant diving portugese brat hate from the mind blowing ability he has.

People are still talking about Roberto Carlos's banana free kick for Brazil but Ronaldos unstoppable bullet this season hasn't been mentioned since. People don't like Ronaldo, but disliking him and trying to turn that dislike into petualant understatement of his obvious talent are too different things.

He is the best player in the world atm. Hands down. He didn't just break Best's record- can anyone else name a winger from any team that has scored over 30 in a season - and more to come.

Here is his record.

For 2007-2008 he has
    Premiership Domestic cups Champions League Total
    Apps Goals Assts Apps Goals Assts Apps Goals Assts Apps Goals Assts

2007-08 26 24 3 3 3 0 7 6 1 36 33 4

That is unbelievable.

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭smok

woooo232 wrote: »
    Why is it too much to ask that the supposed best player in the world shows his amazing talent and bosses games against big teams?? I cant believe that Liverpool fans in particular are so easily won over by the hype machine.

ANd not many people in this thread are complaining about Ronaldo's ability. Just rightly pointing out that to justify his reputation he seriously needs some big performances in big games.

And bollox to that whole nonsense about every Utd game is a big game rubbish. It is just Sky trying to hype up games against mediocre teams like Bolton. They only become big games if the likes of Utd and Chelsea don't turn up.

Look it was equally ridiculous when the likes of Dunphy were calling Ronaldo a nothing player and a birdbrain. But it is equally nonsensical that ppl are comparing him to sporting icons just because he has scored a lot of goals against mediocre opposition.

And when Geroge Best scored his 32 goals he was getting kicked off the park and he never complained. No matter what Ferguson says the game has changed a lot and players like Ronaldo are much more protected. (which is of course a good thing!)

Did you say you are a United fan? I am guessing you arent, which is fair enough, but I think it is bitterness that you shred the guy based on one area he falls short on. What the chap has achieved and done for United is incredible. I have been watching United for years now and never before has a single player don more for United. I include Cantona in that. Incredible goal tally but more notable is the amount of crucial goals he scores. Its at a level that nobody else in the world is at and he has been doing it consistantly for two seasons straight. That for me makes him the best in the world. Maybe he hasnt been man of the match against them but he has been bloody good against them as well. Bloody good in his last two international tournaments as well. If you are a United fan then dont be too greedy with Ronaldo - if he doesnt improve one iota then I wont be complaining because we have a gem. Worry about the other players on the team.

Thiery Henry at his best was much the same in big games, but he was still the best in the world.
    Mr Alan wrote: »
    hold on a sec homer?! ultimeate footballer?

did i miss something when they removed tackles, tracking back etc were removed from the game?

Best player in the world at the minute-most definately, but lets not pretend that he is a "complete footballer" by any means.

Lets not be too trite - as a foward player he is complete. People have said that about a number of forwards before - they didnt then discard it because his goalkeeping skills at corners werent up to spec!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,478 ✭✭✭Bubs101

I don't really think that there's any doubt that the EPL is the best league in Europe this year (4 out of 8 ain't bad) and Ronaldo has been phenomenal this year. I'm Chelsea til' I die but hats off to him, his talent more than makes up for his personality. There is no doubt in my mind that he is better than Kaka, who only plays well in the Champions League and I don't see enough of Messi to comment but I have always rated him ahead.

Also, I don't really think it matters that much that he doesn't pull it out on the big games in England, not many do. he is consistent which is far more important and has won at least 5 games single handedly this season for Man Utd. He has been the best in World football over the past two years. Portugal had a great showing in the World Cup, he was Man Utd's best player when they won the premiership that year despite fans baying for his blood, Man Utd got to the semi's in the Champions League (i think) and this year he hasn't put a foot wrong.

Hype is Kaka,Ronaldo is reality

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,206 ✭✭✭gustavo

e

ronaldo is currently the best player in the world. that is fact.

anyway, why another ronaldo thread, there seems to be one now every week!

How can something so subjective be a fact?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,692 ✭✭✭Loomis

gustavo wrote: »
    How can something so subjective be a fact?

Name someone who has played better this season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,614 ✭✭✭The Sparrow

smok wrote: »
    Did you say you are a United fan? I am guessing you arent, which is fair enough, but I think it is bitterness that you shred the guy based on one area he falls short on.

I am a Man Utd fan though... Like I have said in almost every post I think what Ronaldo has done this year and last year has been brilliant. But just because I am Utd fan does not mean that I lose all sense of context. I never said that Ronaldo wasnt one of the best players around. Just that he should not be compared with the likes of Best, Law, Charlton or even Keane until he bosses big games as well as the ones against lower opposition.
    Bubs101 wrote: »
    I don't really think that there's any doubt that the EPL is the best league in Europe this year (4 out of 8 ain't bad) and Ronaldo has been phenomenal this year.

Well the UEFA Cup tells a different story. For sure the top four in the Premiership are the strongest unit in Europe. But they are the very teams that Ronaldo more often than not has struggled against. And the all of they lower teams were found out in the UEFA Cup. And that is not even talking about the pretty bad teams towards the bottom of the league who get nowhere near the FA Cup.
    Hype is Kaka,Ronaldo is reality

That is some statement!! Did you see the semi-final last year in Milan? It sure looked to me that out of the two of them it was Kaka that was the real deal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

Ronaldo is a bottler, and will never be any good, even if he single handedly wins the PL/CL/Euros/WC on his own, with a broken leg. ;)

It's just fashionable to belittle him, when in reality any team would give their right ball to have him play.

He's quiet in some big games, because he doesn't get the ball as much, as drops a little deeper, he can't be expected to run from his own box and beat 10 players every game :)

Silly argument in fairness, he'll have a quiet game again on Sunday, but will still show moments of brilliance to influence the game.

Well the UEFA Cup tells a different story. For sure the top four in the Premiership are the strongest unit in Europe. But they are the very teams that Ronaldo more often than not has struggled against. And the all of they lower teams were found out in the UEFA Cup. And that is not even talking about the pretty bad teams towards the bottom of the league who get nowhere near the FA Cup.

Is a lot of this not done to poor tactical formations by fergie rather than
    Ronaldo playing poorly?
    Doesnt suit him to be isolated and limiting the runs of the full backs and
    being more defensive, which is what Fergie tends to do in Europe, shackles
    his attacking attributes.
    Anyway thats just my opinion.
    I think he is the reason that United will win the league.
    He is devestating and is by far the best player in the league.
    There is not much between the big 4 if you ask me on an 11v11 basis and
    its your 1 or 2 outstanding players that give you the edge.

IrishMike wrote: »
    To all the idiots that keep saying so what if he scored 33 goals this season,
    he has never done it against the big teams please shut the hell up.
    33 goals in a season for a winger is mindblowing, even if he got 20 of them in
    the FA cup against 3rd division teams.
    Just because its a Man Utd player people are begrudging.
    He is an amazing player who would walk into any team in the world and
    will be world player of the year.
    And to the person who said id like to see how he will do against Roma or
    another big team, he scored twice against them last year in 1 match.
    How much more of an impact do u want.
    Damn stupid baseless arguments :rolleyes:
    To make things worse i dont even like Man Utd or Ronaldo but i can
    appreciate a top class player when i see one

apart form calling me an idiot and having stupid baseless arguments, I'll try have a discussion with you without personal insults.

If you actually read what I wrote without getting blinded by hatred that anything bad about Ronaldo must be terrible you would see what I am saying is that I think he is a world class player, and one of the best if not the best in the world right now.

What I am getting across is that if/when he starts producing the goods against bigger and better teams and making a difference in important games, then there will be no arguments over his reputation.

At the moment, he really hasnt done much in a big game. Yeah, he scored twice against Roma, in a 7-1 victory. hardly a game winning performance or vital to Utd that night.

What I mean is a performance like keane against Juve, Gerrard against *******kos, Kaka v Man Utd, Zidane v Brazil, ie big time players who did it in big games consistently when they were needed to step up to the mark and make a difference.

Its well and good doing it against Bolton, Fulham, Derby etc, and fair play to him for his scoring against these teams as he consistently plays well in the majority of Utd's games against weaker opposition when others are a bit lazy, but I'd like to see him adding this capability in the latter stages of the CL, or in the run in now when he plays Liverpool and Chelsea, and then justify why he can be considered the best in the world right now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,917 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

Re, the UEFA cup, the teams that knocked out the english teams this week, PSV and Sporting were dropped down from the CL, Fiorentina have a good chance of being in the CL next year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,193 ✭✭✭pd101

Ronaldo is a very good player who is having an exceptional season, but to hear Rednapp comparing him to Tiger Woods is a joke. Almost broke the remote as I changed channel. There is no one in world sport, maybe apart from Federer, at the moment close to Woods, never mind in football.

That lad on Sky Sports News this morning had it right. He ranked the likes of George Best above Ronaldo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,798 ✭✭✭Mr. Incognito

I wonder- arguably the standard in the premiership was a lot poorer when Best set that record.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,848 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

Ronaldo > Kaka ???? Not too sure about that

but...

Ronaldo > Anybody THIS SEASON

nobody can deny that

SetantaL wrote: »
    I wonder- arguably the standard in the premiership was a lot poorer when Best set that record.

Well perhaps... it is hard to say. But I dont think that there was that much of a gap between teams at the top and the bottom so I assume it would have been more of a competitive league. Plus there was a lot more targeting of skillful players like Best who opposition players often attempted to kick out of the game without much censure from the referees. Plus the pitches would not have been as good or suited to skillful players like Ronaldo or Best.

So I think all in all it was probably a much bigger achievement to score that many goals in 1968 than it is today.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,608 ✭✭✭themont85

Maybe Ronaldo doesn't get the goals in the 'big' games because teams like Chelsea double mark him with better players than the lower league. This creates more space for other players, that shows what an effective player he is. He bags the most goals out of any winger in the world and draws more players attention to himself. I think he's the best in the world atm and I think anyone doubting him just don't like his demeaner.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,488 ✭✭✭dc69

what with this big game rubbish.Torres is probably the best striker this season,he has only scored against chealski and himself and gerrard have now in the last 7 games put liverpool within chasing distance of chelski's premier league 3rd spot.

you dont win the premier league playing the top 4,you win it playing the other teams.

Utd fans constantly tell me gerrard has single handedly kept liverpool in the top 4,he has and now you have ronaldo keeping you in the title race>you will probably win the title this year,if you didnt have ronaldo,you would not have won it.simple as,rooney and tevez have been attrocius,nani has scored a handfull and anderson none,i believe.

where are the goals coming from?ronaldo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,413 ✭✭✭HashSlinging

I missed that on sky, but FFS what a statement, Ronaldo has won nothing compared to Tiger woods, Tiger woods changed his swing and had a bad patch now he's winning everything again for the second time around, Ronaldo, or any footballer bar Ian St John or a Legend is not fit to even polish his balls.

• Advertisement

themont85 wrote: »
    Maybe Ronaldo doesn't get the goals in the 'big' games because teams like Chelsea double mark him with better players than the lower league. This creates more space for other players, that shows what an effective player he is. He bags the most goals out of any winger in the world and draws more players attention to himself. I think he's the best in the world atm and I think anyone doubting him just don't like his demeaner.

But that is exactly the point! Did you ever see anybody double mark Zidane out of a game? Nope me neither... Because he was just so good that it didnt matter how many defenders tried to mark him he would always find space for something great. The knoc on Ronaldo IS that he can be marked out of big games.

dc69 wrote:
    what with this big game rubbish.Torres is probably the best striker this season,he has only scored against chealski and himself and gerrard have now in the last 7 games put liverpool within chasing distance of chelski's premier league 3rd spot.

you dont win the premier league playing the top 4,you win it playing the other teams.

Yeah but you win the title of best footballer in the world against the top four and the best in Europe. Which Ronaldo has not done to any extent.

I'm am actually banging my head against the desk here. For the last ****ing time nobody and certainly not me is arguing that Ronaldo has not been immense in the premiership this year or that he is a bad player. Just that he cannot be called the best in the world until he proves himself against top quality opposition.

Why is that so difficult to comprehend?????:confused:

hanton12 wrote: »
    apart form calling me an idiot and having stupid baseless arguments, I'll try have a discussion with you without personal insults.

I said to all the people that said Ronaldo has not done it against the big
    teams and so what if he has scored 33 goals this season.
    It was a generalisation and probably shouldnt have quoted your post specifically.
    Apologies

But to say im blinded by hatred ? what the hell are you talking about
    Im a liverpool fan talking about how good a united player is, where on earth is there room for
    me to be blinded by hatred????

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

Games played by Cristiano Ronaldo in 2007/2008 Goals Cards
    05-08-2007 FA Community Shield Chelsea 1-1 Man Utd 0
    12-08-2007 English Premier Man Utd 0-0 Reading 0
    15-08-2007 English Premier Portsmouth 1-1 Man Utd 0
    15-09-2007 English Premier Everton 0-1 Man Utd 0
    19-09-2007 European Cup Sporting Lisbon 0-1 Man Utd 1
    23-09-2007 English Premier Man Utd 2-0 Chelsea 0
    29-09-2007 English Premier Birmingham 0-1 Man Utd 1
    02-10-2007 European Cup Man Utd 1-0 Roma 0
    06-10-2007 English Premier Man Utd 4-0 Wigan 2
    20-10-2007 English Premier Aston Villa 1-4 Man Utd 0
    23-10-2007 European Cup Dynamo Kiev 2-4 Man Utd 2
    27-10-2007 English Premier Man Utd 4-1 Middlesbro 0
    03-11-2007 English Premier Arsenal 2-2 Man Utd 1
    07-11-2007 European Cup Man Utd 4-0 Dynamo Kiev 1
    11-11-2007 English Premier Man Utd 2-0 Blackburn 2
    27-11-2007 European Cup Man Utd 2-1 Sporting Lisbon 1
    03-12-2007 English Premier Man Utd 2-0 Fulham 2
    08-12-2007 English Premier Man Utd 4-1 Derby 1
    16-12-2007 English Premier Liverpool 0-1 Man Utd 0
    23-12-2007 English Premier Man Utd 2-1 Everton 2
    26-12-2007 English Premier Sunderland 0-4 Man Utd 1
    29-12-2007 English Premier West Ham 2-1 Man Utd 1
    01-01-2008 English Premier Man Utd 1-0 Birmingham 0
    05-01-2008 English FA Cup Aston Villa 0-2 Man Utd 1
    12-01-2008 English Premier Man Utd 6-0 Newcastle 3
    19-01-2008 English Premier Reading 0-2 Man Utd 1
    27-01-2008 English FA Cup Man Utd 3-1 Tottenham 2
    30-01-2008 English Premier Man Utd 2-0 Portsmouth 2
    02-02-2008 English Premier Tottenham 1-1 Man Utd 0
    10-02-2008 English Premier Man Utd 1-2 Man City 0
    20-02-2008 European Cup Lyon 1-1 Man Utd 0
    23-02-2008 English Premier Newcastle 1-5 Man Utd 2
    01-03-2008 English Premier Fulham 0-3 Man Utd 0
    04-03-2008 European Cup Man Utd 1-0 Lyon 1
    08-03-2008 English FA Cup Man Utd 0-1 Portsmouth 0
    15-03-2008 English Premier Derby 0-1 Man Utd 1
    19-03-2008 English Premier Man Utd 2-0 Bolton 2

someone made a stupid statement about his european goals tally, he is our top scorer this season and has scored in almost every game in europe this season. so that statement is obviously bollox.

dc69 wrote: »

Utd fans constantly tell me gerrard has single handedly kept liverpool in the top 4,he has and now you have ronaldo keeping you in the title race>you will probably win the title this year,if you didnt have ronaldo,you would not have won it.simple as,rooney and tevez have been attrocius,nani has scored a handfull and anderson none,i believe.

where are the goals coming from?ronaldo

ah hang on now, would you ever listen to yourself? tevez has been immense this season and up until Torres hit his purple patch a couple of weeks ago and scored a couple of hattricks he and Tevez both had 15 goals, which i think is a good return for a first year,and you werent saying Torres has been atrocious then were you? im sure Tevez will reach 20 this year and that will be phenomenal.

I don't think that anybody would realistically argue that any of those teams besides Arsenal, Liverpool and Chelsea are world class. And he has one goal and no great performances against them.

Now obviously it is not his fault that Utd have only played those 3 world class teams this year. But as others have mentioned he hardly covered himself in glory last year against the bigger teams such as Milan. Hopefully he will do some great things in the next few weeks. But until then he should not be hailed as in the same universe as Tiger Woods!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Well I think there's one thing everyone can agree on.

There is no other player in the world you would prefer to have in a league campaign.

Anyone who doesn't agree with that frankly is just absurd.

you can only beat whats put in front of you, simple as. he has pretty much beat everything in front of him this year and i really hope he it continues

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,488 ✭✭✭dc69

kryogen wrote: »
    ah hang on now, would you ever listen to yourself? tevez has been immense this season and up until Torres hit his purple patch a couple of weeks ago and scored a couple of hattricks he and Tevez both had 15 goals, which i think is a good return for a first year,and you werent saying Torres has been atrocious then were you? im sure Tevez will reach 20 this year and that will be phenomenal.

ok that was a bit strong but I definitely feel rooney has been terrible esp with the hype that still surrounds him.I still stick by the ronaldo winning it for u statement though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,848 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

PHB wrote: »
    absurd.

such a beautiful word, and good use of it here imo!

dc69 wrote: »
    ok that was a bit strong but I definitely feel rooney has been terrible esp with the hype that still surrounds him.I still stick by the ronaldo winning it for u statement though

anybody who frequents the united thread will know im not the biggest rooney fan, personally i dont think the lad can finish his dinner most of the time, but he is very important to the team, he gives us shape and grit when we play and he is still chipping in with goals so i guess i cant complain. i close my eyes when i see him put through one on one though, and pray he turn into RVN for the next 5 seconds

• Advertisement

The Uefa cup doesn't reaqlly tell much of a different story. 2 of the teams were knocked out on penalties which doesn't reflect on the strenght of a league and the other team played reserve players in the away leg and were barely beaten. Penalties are no indication of a teams strenght
    That is some statement!! Did you see the semi-final last year in Milan? It sure looked to me that out of the two of them it was Kaka that was the real deal

You don't watch Serie A do you? I can tell because you sound as if you think Kaka is phenomenal. On his day he is but too often he is just a passenger watching Milan lose at home to worse teams, like yesterday Milan lost to a team who didn't have there superstar at the San Siro. It has happened alot this season because they believed in Kaka's hype too.

IrishMike wrote: »
    Apologies

But to say im blinded by hatred ? what the hell are you talking about?

apology noted, and the reason why I said what I did was because in your opening line, while quoting my piece, you called me an idiot and said to shut the hell up. thats why I said what I did, and maybe you can see why I thought as much. but can leave it at that tho.

In general, I dont think people are getting what I am saying, or what wooo232 is trying to say either.

i am not saying Ronaldo isnt world class, or arguably isnt the best in the world right now. But he hasnt done it in a hugely vital game yet, and that includes this season.

i dont know if kryogen was talking about my stupid statement that is bollox about his European goals tally, all I can ask is what is his goal tally for Man utd in knock out stages? up until this year including the league stages he had a sum total of 4 goals in 27 games. Thats hardly impressive, for a player being branded the best in the world.

I have stated that in my post that this season his league form has been completely different and obviously a marked difference this year. He has 6 goals in 7 games, doing far better in the CL this year than in his previous 3 years. If he carries through this form in the knowck out stages, then there can be no arguments or any dispute against his ability.

All I am saying is I want to see Ronaldo doing it in the big games, making some sort of impression, as far too often he doesnt carry through his form against bigger sides. He undoubtadly has the ability, and has shown he is the best player in the premiership this season, but to be remembered as one of the greats, you really have to do it on the biggest stage against the biggest teams

What story does the uefa cup tell?
    combine teams in the Uefa and in the champions league and English teams still out number.
    Germany have 2 teams left in the Uefa.
    Also, Spurs and Everton were unlucky to be beaten in the UEFA, both going out on penalties. Sure Middlesborough under Steve McLaren got to the final.

Waht is more, You are completely ignoring the point that Ronaldo is the top scorer in the champions league as well ... or are you trying to tell us all that the Uefa is stronger than the Champions league?

Finally - Ronaldo has been brilliant against top 4 teams in the past. Yeah he has been quiet recently, heavily marked out of it, but where are you getting struggled from?

Finally - Ronaldo has been brilliant against top 4 teams in the past. Yeah he has been quiet recently, heavily marked out of it, but where are you getting struggled from?

Name the games against the top four which Ronaldo dominated...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭The_B_Man

Theres probably no games he dominated against the other top 4...mainly coz they stick at least 2 top 4 first team defenders on him at all times!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,430 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Arsenal, 4-2 win. Arsenal FACup final, yeah we lost but he was AMAZING. Liverpool on Rio's return, he tore liverpool's left side apart that night. Can't think of performances against Chelsea to be fair.

I would also point out Roma at home last season, absolutely immense. Fulham away last season, winning it for us at the last. Everton away last season, changing the game when he came on. all MASSIVE games.

I didnt say he dominated - I said he didnt struggle. You said he struggled - I said he didnt. You focus on one of my points and try to change the focus around it as rebuttle and in doing so ignore the other valid points. I would say that effectively makes you answerless.
    he has played well against chelsea last season and this season, against Arsenal this season. I have seen him have clas games against Arsenal and Liverpool in the past.
    Also I believe there are often mitigating factors when he is quiet. Liverpool this season he was tactically placed as the leading man for the entire second half for United to hit with passes. The game plan was to soak up the pressure which they did easily. He was a tool used with success for that purpose. He did it for the team (as did Rooney who was equally quiet) ahead of his own glory.

I must say I dont like the guy but he has turned into some player this year and has to be respected for that. Class act - no Emile Heskey but a class act ;)

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,917 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Trilla wrote: »
    such a beautiful word, and good use of it here imo!

Until this word performs consistanly against other world class words I don't think it can be put in the same bracket at all :rolleyes: ;):D

• Advertisement

Where to start...

The_B_Man wrote: »
    Theres probably no games he dominated against the other top 4...mainly coz they stick at least 2 top 4 first team defenders on him at all times!!

See my earlier point

"Did you ever see anybody double mark Zidane out of a game? Nope me neither... Because he was just so good that it didnt matter how many defenders tried to mark him he would always find space for something great. The knoc on Ronaldo IS that he can be marked out of big games."
    Tauren wrote: »
    Arsenal, 4-2 win. Arsenal FACup final, yeah we lost but he was AMAZING. Liverpool on Rio's return, he tore liverpool's left side apart that night. Can't think of performances against Chelsea to be fair.

I would also point out Roma at home last season, absolutely immense. Fulham away last season, winning it for us at the last. Everton away last season, changing the game when he came on. all MASSIVE games.

I've already dealt with most of those games further back in the thread and I am not arsed cutting and pasting my previous reply. As for Everton and Fulham... they may have been massive games but they were not against world class opposition which is what this thread is about.
    I didnt say he dominated - I said he didnt struggle. You said he struggled - I said he didnt. You focus on one of my points and try to change the focus around it as rebuttle and in doing so ignore the other valid points. I would say that effectively makes you answerless. He has played well against chelsea last season and this season, against Arsenal this season. I have seen him have clas games against Arsenal and Liverpool in the past.

No I said that more often than not he struggles against the top four. I stand by that. He has had some a couple of good displays but more often than not he is pretty anonymous against the top four or big teams in the Champions League.
    An Fhile wrote: »
    Until this word performs consistanly against other world class words I don't think it can be put in the same bracket at all

:D:D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

Is Ronaldo the best player in the world?

said before on here, best player in the world? no

most effective player in the world? absolutely

Helix wrote: »
    said before on here, best player in the world? no

Then Who?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,252 ✭✭✭deisedevil

Then Who?

+1

No matter how much dislike you have of him I'd like to see opinions of who people think is the best player in the world right now?
    We were talking about this last night watching the match and even the lads who always argue that he isn't the best were still saying he wasn't the best (because they'd choke trying to say it) but they were laughing when they were trying to come up with a decent answer to Who is then??

P.S> I have agreed for a long time that he wasn't good enough to be considered No.1 but there's no doubt about it now.

Why are bookies after putting him at 1/8 for pfa player of the year. Fabregas is miles behind in the betting. Two years in a row he will be EPL player of the year.

messi and kaka are better footballers than ronaldo, in that theyve got more well rounded games imo

id have ronaldo in my team ahead of any of them tho, coz being an amazing footballer doesnt necessarily make you an effective one

theres nobody on the planet right now anywhere near as effective as ronaldo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

maybe he is and maybe he isn't but a double against a woeful Bolton side at home isn't going to prove anything.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,046 ✭✭✭eZe^

theres nobody on the planet right now anywhere near as effective as ronaldo

Sums it up tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭Mad_Max

I think its a bit pointless comparing how often ronaldo gets marked out of a game compared to someone like zidane. zidane was a central player, its much easier to dominate a game and to create space from the centre, scholes is a master but you dont say ronaldo gets marked out of a game more than scholes.

Same for kaka, plays through the centre and messi to a lesser degree. Ronnie is a winger and I don't remember ANY winger that couldn't be marked out of a game (John o shea marked figo out of one!!!) or a winger who could DOMINATE a game, its just not for that position.

I don't think he's the most rounded player going but by God he's the most effective! If its so easy to score against the "easy" teams why has no other winger scored 34 in donkeys years!

messi and kaka are better footballers than ronaldo, in that theyve got more well rounded games imo
    Kaka is a better player in the champions league but overall there is no way he is a better player. He won World player of the year last year on the strength of 6 games. He wasn't even the best player in Serie A that season (that was 34 goals from midfield Totti). Milan also finished 4th that year. This year Milan are 5th atm and just lost at home to the 6th placed team. They aren't scoring enough because kaka has been kack this season, not producing the passes

youre mixing up skill and ability with effectivness of performance

I don't see how somebody could be the best footballer in the world without performing

• Advertisement
Advertisement