Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Uniteds Current Squad (Ronaldo, Nani etc etc)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

pretty sure he was just pointing out that he actually knows a lot of people who frequent this site, so although it may look to someone new like he is just talking ****e that he can never be pulled up on in the real world, in actual fact, its actually just the way he thinks.

woooo may not agree with him, i certainly dont, pretty sure you dont either, but he certainly aint "threatening" anyone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,399 ✭✭✭✭Thanx 4 The Fish

So saying "well you know wat, bring it f**king on "mate"" later on adding a smiley to try and minimise the impact of it.

Then coming up with this gem

"theres quite alot of people on here know each other including me. nobody may know you as your new to this place, but alot know who i am (i play with the forum soccer team amongest others), thats all i am saying."

could not be considered threatening behaviour ?

Regardless of whether you think it is threatening or not, it may be construed that way by somebody who as you have already said is someone new to this site and I have asked the poster to tone it down. Anything else ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

I would imagine the only reason we are not going to agree is that you are making outlandish statements. FACT/

Seems like you are threatening a member of the soccer forum there homer, perhaps you should tone it down a bit eh..

anything else? i make a post to end a line of arguments that are going nowhere and explain something, yet you still try to cause trouble. seems to me like you love to have the final say always, you never respect any united fans opinion and the more you post the childish they get. maybe think before you post such uneducated posts in the future please and remember, this is not your forum and you dont own it. i already know that you are very sensitive and not very open to taking a bit of flak but not everybody is like you and i have the utmost confidence that like alan, woo32 understands exactly what i mean and will not take any offence. now, you can take the repsonsibility of the mod that you are and not bother replying or this can carry on and on. its up to you.

enjoy the game tomorrow. viva ronaldo.

anything else? i make a post to end a line of arguments that are going nowhere and explain something, yet you still try to cause trouble. seems to me like you love to have the final say always, you never respect any united fans opinion and the more you post the childish they get. maybe think before you post such uneducated posts in the future please and remember, this is not your forum and you dont own it. i already know that you are very sensitive and not very open to taking a bit of flak but not everybody is like you and i have the utmost confidence that like alan, woo32 understands exactly what i mean and will not take any offence. now, you can take the repsonsibility of the mod that you are and not bother replying or this can carry on and on. its up to you.

I will carry on if you don't mind (and to be honest I will carry on even if you do), I am not sure if you want me to or not mind, your post is barely intelligible. Why would you have the utmost confidence that somebody you never met knows what you are saying ? He is new to the forum and is not acquainted with your unique posting style.

I post in soccer as a contributor the same as everybody else and am as entitled to respond to anybody, just as you are. I am just as entitled to ask for some evidence when somebody states something as FACT.

When I have to step in as a mod I will but aside from that my posts have no more or less weight than anybody else's.

As for my being very sensitive and not being able to take a bit of flak, or listen to man u fans opinions, I am happy to read well reasoned and thought out posts, PHB is a prime example of somebody's posts who I look forward to reading and there are several others regardless of their allegiances. Strikes me that you are the one that cannot take any flak and is dismissive of others opinions, as this thread shows.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

and by the way wooo32, this forum is not as anonymous as you may think, theres quite alot of people on here know each other including me. nobody may know you as your new to this place, but alot know who i am (i play with the forum soccer team amongest others), thats all i am saying.

Lol, what the **** is this about?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

You say united a lot, but there's many "uniteds", West Ham for one. Just because an opinion doesn't suit you doesn't make it wrong. You need to "relax" and not take things so personally. Oh, and pray for Arsenal injuries ;)

. im expecting ronaldo to be double marked by liverpool as the norm on all "big games" united play,

I expect him to be anonymous, as is the truth when the chips are down

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,956 ✭✭✭CHD

why do only united fans think hes the best in the world.......................:D

Am a Liverpool fan and will happily admit that he is presently the player performing at the highest level in the world i.e. best in the world.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,825 ✭✭✭Mikeyt086

Luis Fabiano, Benzema and Lucio better than Cristiano Ronaldo???

JESUS.:eek:

• Advertisement

Am a Liverpool fan and will happily admit that he is presently the player performing at the highest level in the world i.e. best in the world.

eh no hes not

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

chdpoker wrote: »
    eh no hes not

i believe the onus is now on you to say who is.......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,825 ✭✭✭Mikeyt086

Cristiano Ronaldo is currently the best performing footballer in the world, i think that the fact that news channels in other countries are going mental for him says that, considering after Totti's exellent season last year the British media said nothing.

The argrument here is, is he the BEST player in the World?

As someone who worships the ground that Ronaldo walks on, even i can see that the British media are going OTT.

But right now, if you look at the other contestants for best in the world, none of them are getting people talking the way Ronaldo is.

Even the fact that this thread has 9 pages, he is special.

And when im an old man, i can say i saw Cristiano Ronaldo play live, and i was lucky enough to be alive to have him on the back of my shirt. That is of course if he keeps this form up for the rest of his career.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

why do only united fans think hes the best in the world.......................:D

Because we see him play every week. Not getting into this ridiculous debate, dunno who is the best footballer and don't really care but I've already seen United three times this season and Ronaldo has scored 7 goals in those 3 games so yeah, I've got a soft spot for him. I'm off too OT for the big game tomorrow and even if he does not score he is still our best player by a mile.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,648 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

Mikeyt086 wrote: »
    Cristiano Ronaldo is currently the best performing footballer in the world, i think that the fact that news channels in other countries are going mental for him says that, considering after Totti's exellent season last year the British media said nothing.

The argrument here is, is he the BEST player in the World?

As someone who worships the ground that Ronaldo walks on, even i can see that the British media are going OTT.

But right now, if you look at the other contestants for best in the world, none of them are getting people talking the way Ronaldo is.

Even the fact that this thread has 9 pages, he is special.

And when im an old man, i can say i saw Cristiano Ronaldo play live, and i was lucky enough to be alive to have him on the back of my shirt. That is of course if he keeps this form up for the rest of his career.

well the premier league is the biggest league in the world thats why the player grabbing the headlines in the EPL will get headlines worldwide, italian football is in turmoil so its difficult for alot of people to get excited about it, andway totti has had a career of brilliant football unlike cristiano ronaldo.

special is a word i hate, he's one of the real on form players right now and probably in the top 5 or so worldwide,

when you're an old man i hope you have better memories than seeing cristiano ronaldo playing.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,373 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

Mikeyt086 wrote: »
    Luis Fabiano, Benzema and Lucio better than Cristiano Ronaldo???

JESUS.:eek:

I know Puyol was also on the list? Hilarious.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,614 ✭✭✭The Sparrow

and by the way wooo32, this forum is not as anonymous as you may think, theres quite alot of people on here know each other including me. nobody may know you as your new to this place, but alot know who i am (i play with the forum soccer team amongest others), thats all i am saying.

And you accuse me of trying to act like a hard man??? :confused:

BTW you still haven't said if you think that Ronaldo played better than Keane in the 4-2 game at Highbury.

Back on topic, I suppose you could make the argument that so far Utd haven't played in too many proper big games this season so Ronaldo has maybe not had the opportunity all that often this year to play top quality opposition and impose himself on the game. So the next few weeks will tell us a lot. If he has a couple of great displays in the Champions League and against the top-four he will blow away a lot of these doubts. As a Utd fan I hope that starts tomorrow afternoon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

This thread is a shambles...full of ****. Anyway, I think Ronaldo is currently the best player in the world because before Messi's injury Messi was the best in my opinion and now Messi is injured and the fact Ronaldo has that awesome freekick, puts him top of the list in my opinion.

Benzema? Lescott? Puyol? Better? Are u ****ed in the head?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

The hype on this thread for Ronaldo is staggering. People seem to want to refuse to acknowledge the major games he went AWOL in last season, ie against Milan in the CL and the FA Cup final against Chelsea. Nah better to concentrate on how he does against the Boltons and Derbys of the game. If you can do it against them then surely you're the world's best...or maybe not.

A player that's the best in the world ought to be able to impose himself on the most difficult of games. There's still a big question mark on Ronaldo as far as top matches are concerned. Let's hope this season he gets that off his back and becomes the world's best. He's not quite there yet. Despite what the most wise Jamie Redknapp thinks. He's close though. Real close. Blast Liverpool away, Ron!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Fabiano, Benzema, Puyol, Nesta, Lucio, I could go on, and you could make excuses why each is not better than Ronaldo but just as you say that Cech is not a good keeper without Terry in front of him, Ronaldo would be nothing without a good defender behind him as he rarely gets back and a good striker beside him (let's face it he plays as part of a front three as much as he does an out and out striker) to take players away from him.

Lol if you're going to make a list of players to back up your point you could have done a lot better than that to be fair.

Emmm I'm pretty sure it's not just them. I'm a City fan and I can readily admit that he is the current best player in the world considering his from and record. Anyone who can't admit that is just being stubborn.

The bottom line is that there are many great players in various positions, however none of them currently have as big an impact on the game as Ronaldo. Simpe really. Now lock this up.

• Advertisement

The hype on this thread for Ronaldo is staggering. People seem to want to refuse to acknowledge the major games he went AWOL in last season, ie against Milan in the CL and the FA Cup final against Chelsea. Nah better to concentrate on how he does against the Boltons and Derbys of the game. If you can do it against them then surely you're the world's best...or maybe not.

A player that's the best in the world ought to be able to impose himself on the most difficult of games. There's still a big question mark on Ronaldo as far as top matches are concerned. Let's hope this season he gets that off his back and becomes the world's best. He's not quite there yet. Despite what the most wise Jamie Redknapp thinks. He's close though. Real close. Blast Liverpool away, Ron!

This pretty much sums him up.dont get me wrong hes playing brilliantly and its amazing how he beat Best's record but hes not ''the best player in the world'' still has to earn that title by performing consistently at the highest levels which he hasn't done yet as you said in the CL and games like the FA cup against Chelsea etc. but im sure that will come he has his whole career ahead of him but its stupid that people get ahead of themselves and slap the tag of best player in he world on him already.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

In the league, I challenge anybody to name a player they would rather have. Anybody?
    He is the 'best' league player in the world, i.e. he is by far the most consistantly amazing

In the CL, now this is different. But he is young and give him time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,276 ✭✭✭Memnoch

All this best league player stuff is nonsense.

I think he is a very good players, but to say "best in the world," when he hasn't proven himself on the world stage is ludicrous. The same way the British press have hailed Waney Rooney as being as good as Pele. It's a joke.

Let Ronaldo do for Portugal what Messi does for Argentina. Let him dazzle and trouble teams like Milan, Barcelona, Real Madrid, Arsenal etc. Then he can be considered the best player in the world.

Sure he runs rings around a lot of Premiereship teams, but since when did that become the main yardstick to decide a player as world class?

• Registered Users Posts: 848 ✭✭✭Muff_Daddy

Memnoch wrote: »
    All this best league player stuff is nonsense.

I think he is a very good players, but to say "best in the world," when he hasn't proven himself on the world stage is ludicrous. The same way the British press have hailed Waney Rooney as being as good as Pele. It's a joke.

Let Ronaldo do for Portugal what Messi does for Argentina. Let him dazzle and trouble teams like Milan, Barcelona, Real Madrid, Arsenal etc. Then he can be considered the best player in the world.

Sure he runs rings around a lot of Premiereship teams, but since when did that become the main yardstick to decide a player as world class?

Ronaldo has done much more for Portugal than Messi has done for Argentina thus far.

Xavi6 wrote: »
    Emmm I'm pretty sure it's not just them. I'm a City fan and I can readily admit that he is the current best player in the world considering his from and record. Anyone who can't admit that is just being stubborn.

and yet an average team like Man City made him look useless, how can you say he is the best player in the world when he can be kept out of a game by some mediocre premiership players ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,675 ✭✭✭genericgoon

and yet an average team like Man City made him look useless, how can you say he is the best player in the world when he can be kept out of a game by some mediocre premiership players ?

Because if you dont play well in one game then you can't be any good. ¬_¬ No matter how good players are, they will always have off days. They ain't robots for gods sake.

Two games as I recall, does that make any difference ? two of the biggest games in the season too, well from a United POV anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,951 ✭✭✭DSB

And yet you have failed once again to back up your "FACT" with anything. If you say something is true and are challenged on it then either back it up or back down. You have already had to backtrack on one of your statements in this thread, you now know that you can do it, surely the fear of the unknown is not there for you any more.

He has done well this season and I do not deny that he is a class player with a lot more to offer but best in the world, there are better out there.

Fabiano, Benzema, Puyol, Nesta, Lucio, I could go on, and you could make excuses why each is not better than Ronaldo but just as you say that Cech is not a good keeper without Terry in front of him, Ronaldo would be nothing without a good defender behind him as he rarely gets back and a good striker beside him (let's face it he plays as part of a front three as much as he does an out and out striker) to take players away from him.

Fabiano better than Cristiano Ronaldo? Seriously like? Wow.

And as for the lad who was saying that only Man Utd fans think Ronaldo is the best player in the world, that really isnt true. I'm not a United fan, I think it, and I know lots of others who feel the same.

Edit: Hope he bangs in a hattrick today to shut up all these bitter people.

Are you having a laugh? Like seriously? Have you ever seen a game where Kaka did not play his absolute best?

People really need to watch exactly what they say, they are letting themselves down with thoughtless comments.

• Advertisement

And you need to perhaps read what is posted and not let themselves down with MORE thoughtless comments.

The same poster who said that Ronaldo is the best player in the world based on his performances in the premiership was by his own admission useless in two games v Man City.

I pointed out this and now people are jumping on again on the "Not reading the post, whinging" trip again, as for ronaldo scoring a hattrick, I doubt it very much but hey, anything could happen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,046 ✭✭✭eZe^

DSB wrote: »
    Fabiano better than Cristiano Ronaldo? Seriously like? Wow.

It is an opinion to be fair. You seem to be laughing at the very idea of him even being close. Have you watched Fabiano at all this season btw? 32 goals definitely puts him up there with the best in the world this season for sure.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

Fabiano is class but hes a striker, hes meant to score goals.

kdjac

eZe^ wrote: »
    It is an opinion to be fair. You seem to be laughing at the very idea of him even being close. Have you watched Fabiano at all this season btw? 32 goals definitely puts him up there with the best in the world this season for sure.

I didn't laugh at anything. I was shocked Fabiano was being considered in the same vein. He is good like. But he isn't even among the top 3 in the Spanish league. Never mind the world.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,046 ✭✭✭eZe^

Im not saying he's better than Ronaldo, it just seems that people cant even fathom the suggestion of someone competing with Ronaldo this season, when in reality, Fabiano has been as prolific. Yes, he's a striker, but he should definitely be considered as one of the best in the world this season. Believe it or not lads, there are actually some good players outside the EPL :D.

I didn't laugh at anything. I was shocked Fabiano was being considered in the same vein. He is good like. But he isn't even among the top 3 in the Spanish league. Never mind the world.

32 goals this season in something like 35 games, the picichi all but wrapped up. He is most definitely in the top 3 in the Spanish league.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

PLAYERS GOALS
    Luis Fabiano 22
    Raúl 15
    Daniel Güiza 15

hes in the top 1 :D

kdjac

• Advertisement

eZe^ wrote: »
    Im not saying he's better than Ronaldo, it just seems that people cant even fathom the suggestion of someone competing with Ronaldo this season, when in reality, Fabiano has been as prolific. Yes, he's a striker, but he should definitely be considered as one of the best in the world this season. Believe it or not lads, there are actually some good players outside the EPL :D.

32 goals this season in something like 35 games, the picichi all but wrapped up. He is most definitely in the top 3 in the Spanish league.
    KdjaCL wrote: »
    PLAYERS GOALS
    Luis Fabiano 22
    Raúl 15
    Daniel Güiza 15

hes in the top 1 :D

kdjac

Messi, Eto'o, Casillas, Puyol, Alves, Xavi, and Iniesta all lead my opinions to differ. Sure Ronaldo has a better goalscoring record than that and he isn't even a striker.

And you need to perhaps read what is posted and not let themselves down with MORE thoughtless comments.

The same poster who said that Ronaldo is the best player in the world based on his performances in the premiership was by his own admission useless in two games v Man City.

I pointed out this and now people are jumping on again on the "Not reading the post, whinging" trip again, as for ronaldo scoring a hattrick, I doubt it very much but hey, anything could happen.

looks like the thread that you attempted to turn into a tirad of personal abuse of against me with constant mindless and repititive posts has now turned right against you. quit while you can

ronaldo man of the match on star sports,personally i think scholes was the best player on the field, but ronaldo was immense.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

My tv is broken, it says Ronaldo scored today. He only scores against Derby and Bolton doesn't he? :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

My tv is broken, it says Ronaldo scored today. He only scores against Derby and Bolton doesn't he? :pac:

He did but apart from that he had an awful game.

One less corner for Utd and he'd have arguably been the most ineffectual player on the pitch.

Didn't beat his man once today - still good in the air though.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

This thread amuses me. The very same arguments being made for and against Ronaldo are the ones that I used to read about Henry all the time a few years ago, only now United fans are on the other side of the fence. Probably some of the same ones too.

• Advertisement

This thread amuses me. The very same arguments being made for and against Ronaldo are the ones that I used to read about Henry all the time a few years ago, only now United fans are on the other side of the fence. Probably some of the same ones too.

totally agree with you. success breeds alot of jealously. Henry was class, there was never any doubt in my mind about that. ronaldo IMO is better though, but that is only my opinion. the 2 outstanding playins in the premiership this decade.

looks like the thread that you attempted to turn into a tirad of personal abuse of against me with constant mindless and repititive posts has now turned right against you. quit while you can

ronaldo man of the match on star sports,personally i think scholes was the best player on the field, but ronaldo was immense.

I never personally abused you in this thread, perhaps you should get out a bit more as if you think that my pointing out repeatedly that you failed to support your FACT with any evidence is personal abuse then you really have not suffered any kind of abuse. I went on at you because you stated something massively unquantifiable as FACT.

How a thread about Ronaldo has backfired on me is beyond me too. Ronaldo was far from world class today and that was against a ten man liverpool team for most of the game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,044 ✭✭✭Sqaull20

I never personally abused you in this thread, perhaps you should get out a bit more as if you think that my pointing out repeatedly that you failed to support your FACT with any evidence is personal abuse then you really have not suffered any kind of abuse. I went on at you because you stated something massively unquantifiable as FACT.

How a thread about Ronaldo has backfired on me is beyond me too. Ronaldo was far from world class today and that was against a ten man liverpool team for most of the game.

He finished off the game..

What more do you want?

Goal from the half way line, left foot volley, a hat trick etc?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,658 ✭✭✭✭Peyton Manning

Just admit it, you dont like United, you dont like Ronaldo and will never admit that he is the best player in the world right now. Id be awfully embarassed if I was that petty and stubborn.

Such utter bull. He played well today and capped his performance off with a goal. What do you expect him to do against a so called "great" team? He still played better than every player on the opposing 11 so does that mean Gerrard and Torres are utter **** too just because they were kept quiet the entire game?

I think Torres is class even though he didn't have a sniff in either of the two games against United this season.

Archimedes wrote: »
    Id be awfully embarassed if I was that petty and stubborn. :o:o:o

Fixed it, so :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 100 ✭✭destraynor

The circle of football:

"Ronaldo is useless, all he does is score goals"

"Man United are just a one man team, if they didn't have Ronaldo, they'd be terrible".

Archimedes wrote: »
    Just admit it, you dont like United, you dont like Ronaldo and will never admit that he is the best player in the world right now. Id be awfully embarassed if I was that petty and stubborn.
    I was waiting for your contribution archi.

The argument seems to be is he world class and I have been since informed that because he scored against a ten man liverpool side he must be. That I should be embarrassed because I was so wrong about him on the basis of this game and that I am petty and stubborn because I have the temerity to think that he isn not the best player in the world.

I have never stated that he is not the best player in the world FACT, I have put forward several options on who I think could be considered better than him and repeatebly asked for proof that he is the best player in the world FACT and yet people think I should be upset about something. Really boys grow up, I do not htink he is the best player in the world and I did think that at the top of his game Henry was, I think that Fabiano is better than Ronaldo and am just as entitled to think that as a Man U fan is to think that Ronaldo is the best player in the world.

LOL ok!

Anyway moving on swiftly...

To be fair to T4F, Ronaldo was very quiet in the match today by his standards. It was nowhere near the type of performance that he is capable of - the type that he been seen so many times this season.

What is it with United's defenders scoring goals against us!!

• Advertisement
Advertisement