Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Uniteds Current Squad (Ronaldo, Nani etc etc)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

To be fair to T4F, Ronaldo was very quiet in the match today by his standards. It was nowhere near the type of performance that he is capable of - the type that he been seen so many times this season.

What is it with United's defenders scoring goals against us!!

ya, of the 8 games against united that liverpool aint scored in, the followoing have scored -

browne (3-0)
    rio ferdinand(1-0)
    rio ferdinand(2-0)
    o shea (1-0)

also, silvestre got 2 in one game (2-1). and to prove just how weird uniteds goal scoring has been against liverpool, and dont forget forlan. couldn hit a barn door and still scored 2 times. just proves how these games are normally decided by the lesser players and not the big starts perhaps.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,399 ✭✭✭✭Thanx 4 The Fish

You forget also that Carragher has managed to score two own goals against liverpool in one game.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,658 ✭✭✭✭Peyton Manning

ya, of the 8 games against united that liverpool aint scored in, the followoing have scored -

browne (3-0)
    rio ferdinand(1-0)
    rio ferdinand(2-0)
    o shea (1-0)

also, silvestre got 2 in one game (2-1). and to prove just how weird uniteds goal scoring has been against liverpool, and dont forget forlan. couldn hit a barn door and still scored 2 times. just proves how these games are normally decided by the lesser players and not the big starts perhaps.

Even Gary Pallister scored 2 in a match back in the 90's - now thats a rarity! Sure feck it, even Pools defenders score for us! Jamie Carragher with those 2 O.G's..!

You forget also that Carragher has managed to score two own goals against liverpool in one game.
    Archimedes wrote: »
    Sure feck it, even Pools defenders score for us! Jamie Carragher with those 2 O.G's..!

Bit late in there Archi

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

Archimedes wrote: »
    Even Gary Pallister scored 2 in a match back in the 90's - now thats a rarity! Sure feck it, even Pools defenders score for us! Jamie Carragher with those 2 O.G's..!

actually thinking bout it, irwin scored a few in the 90's and so did bruce. its amazing really. i think the only time carragher has been on the scoresheet, is that 3-2 game, 2 ogs, though one was harsh on him. taibi and silvestre both made their debuts at anfiled that day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

So all of United's wins against us due to freak goals? :D I can deal with that haha

So all of United's wins against us due to freak goals? :D I can deal with that haha
    Some consolation I suppose.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Ronaldo was extremely poor today, I was very disappointed in him. His touch let him down a good few times, and he just couldn't do anything. Still, he got the goal. He hasn't been playing well in general in the last month or so I think.
    Still, got the goal that effectively ended the game :) After an utterly shocking miss :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

PHB wrote: »
    Ronaldo was extremely poor today

Harsh...so harsh.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

I don't think so. He rarely if ever beat his man. He was in twice and with a better first touch he would have been in on the keeper. Him not scoring because his goal was shocking.

He had 2 or 3 very good moments, especially as the game went on and got more streched, and I think he knew he was playing poorly, hence why his workrate really increased throughout the game (tracking back a lot) and got the goal. Getting the important goal when you are playing crap is a testament to how good he is as a player.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭herbieflowers

Yeah, it was the same against Lyon, he didn't play fantastically but still scored. I still want to see him annihilate a 'big side' like he does the smaller teams though I'm sceptical, I think he's a player who's easy to stop if your defenders are worth their salt.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,430 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Yeah, it was the same against Lyon, he didn't play fantastically but still scored. I still want to see him annihilate a 'big side' like he does the smaller teams though I'm sceptical, I think he's a player who's easy to stop if your defenders are worth their salt.

dunno about that - certainly the best defenders will have a better time against him, but its also a fact that when he comes up agaisnt some teams, them double and triple up on him - at no point today did ronaldo get a proper go one on one with his opposite number.

He wasn't as attackingly brilliant as we have seen in the past, but i did feel he was more tactically aware today than other days, showed better use of the ball in keeping possesion on a good number of occasions, and providing an option to the man on the ball.

Also, fact is he had 3 top goalscoring opportunities (one would have been wrongly disallowed for offside regardless) which means Liverpool did not really keep him all that quiet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭herbieflowers

Tauren wrote: »
    dunno about that - certainly the best defenders will have a better time against him, but its also a fact that when he comes up agaisnt some teams, them double and triple up on him - at no point today did ronaldo get a proper go one on one with his opposite number.

He wasn't as attackingly brilliant as we have seen in the past, but i did feel he was more tactically aware today than other days, showed better use of the ball in keeping possesion on a good number of occasions, and providing an option to the man on the ball.

Also, fact is he had 3 top goalscoring opportunities (one would have been wrongly disallowed for offside regardless) which means Liverpool did not really keep him all that quiet.

That's what I mean, you stick two players on Ronaldo for the game, he's out, I don't think he has the intelligence (yet) to deal with this kind of tactic, I'm not even sure if he's the type of player who's flexible enough (yet) to overcome such defending. That said, he's still young and...he still managed to score today and, as you pointed out, had opportunities to score more.

You're dead right about the possession, that's one thing that irritates me about Ronaldo from time to time, he just picks it up (especially if Utd are down a goal) starts running towards the opposition goal etc, real stupid stuff...trying to do it all on his own and losing the ball...in that regard he seems to be improving.

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭hamnegg

PHB wrote: »
    Ronaldo was extremely poor today, I was very disappointed in him. His touch let him down a good few times, and he just couldn't do anything. Still, he got the goal. He hasn't been playing well in general in the last month or so I think.
    Still, got the goal that effectively ended the game :) After an utterly shocking miss :)

Another big game and he didn't show. Wes Brown did! Sunday 17 December 2000 when Murphy scored a free-kick, mid-day match, Brown had a stormer. Showed up up the big day. Ronaldo still hasn't

hamnegg wrote: »
    Another big game and he didn't show. Wes Brown did! Sunday 17 December 2000 when Murphy scored a free-kick, mid-day match, Brown had a stormer. Showed up up the big day. Ronaldo still hasn't

Brown scores a goall but does nothing else really (apart from getting pwned by Torres out wide) as our defence wasn't tested and shows up BIG TIME.

Ronaldo scores, and gets himself in two other very good scoring positions, but is up against 2 or 3 players every time he gets the ball deep, and this constitutes not turning up.

Please explain what Brown did that is SSSSSOOOOOOOOO much better then Ronaldo's contribution.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,373 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

Please explain what Brown did that is SSSSSOOOOOOOOO much better then Ronaldo's contribution.

Nothing, you really need to be asking why he wasn't isolated more in 1v1 scenarios. Babel would have him for pace easily but thankfully it never happened at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,692 ✭✭✭Loomis

This really i beyond a joke. And this is my last time wasting my time on this thread because the behaviour of people is pathetic.
    Ronaldo is a great player. He's shown it all season in all competitions. I'm not saying he's Pelé so that stupid argument isn't needed. His scoring has been amazing; for any player in any league. The fact he isn't an out and out striker only adds to how good the accomplishment is. Anyone arguing that he is a forward or that he hasn't done it 'against the big boys' are begrudgers. Plain and simple. The fact you're still giving out about him despite him scoring against one of the top four which is what you moaned about for 10 pages previously proves you will never be happy and will continue to try to detract from him as a player and his accomplishments.
    He has scored 30+ goals consistently over the season against all types of teams. George Best didn't get his 30+ goals all against the top four sides. No one is taking away from what he did though. I said it before and I'll repeat; if Ronaldo scored one goal a game against the top four sides and did nothing else all season you'd complain that he isn't consistent enough. He's consistent and you complain. He scored against Liverpool at the weekend and you still find something to complain about. He didn't have a particularly great game but still scored and should easily have scored another two goals being honest. Still not happy. So basically you want him to utterly destroy the top four sides each and everytime we play them is that it? Great players you will acknowledge like Henry and Shearer didn't destroy the top four sides everytime they played them. Didn't always score either. But did sometimes. But the case is different with Ronaldo for a reason; you don't like him for the type of player he is a who he plays for. Call that paranoia if you want. But many will back me up and those denying it have yet to argue otherwise. I personally thought Henry was an arrogant **** who intimidated referees, team mates and rilled up opposing fans all while being a hypocrit while trying to come off as innocent as can be. But I can admit he was a fabulous player who did great things. Despite not scoring and ripping us apart everytime he played. :rolleyes:
    You detracted from Ronaldo because he wasn't consistent. This season and last he's arguably been the most consistent player in the world in terms of form. Along with his scoring for the past two seasons I think it's hard to find any player who has matched him. Now the consistency is there you say he doesn't do it against the top 4 teams. He scores against one of them and you're not happy because he didn't annihilate them. If he had no doubt the problem would be that he has to do it each and everytime he plays. You want the impossible is it? How about you write down a list of what exactly he has to do before you'll give credit where you happily give it to other players. In fact, don't bother. I'm tired of reading excuse after excuse.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,614 ✭✭✭The Sparrow

Great players you will acknowledge like Henry and Shearer didn't destroy the top four sides everytime they played them. Didn't always score either. But did sometimes. But the case is different with Ronaldo for a reason; you don't like him for the type of player he is a who he plays for. Call that paranoia if you want.

I personally thought Henry was an arrogant **** who intimidated referees, team mates and rilled up opposing fans all while being a hypocrit while trying to come off as innocent as can be. But I can admit he was a fabulous player who did great things. Despite not scoring and ripping us apart everytime he played. :rolleyes:

First of all paragraphs???

You are missing the point completely. Please quote where ppl are saying that Ronaldo is a bad player or that his goal tally this year is not impressive?

What we are saying is that (I can't belive I have to explain this AGAIN!) Ronaldo has never destroyed a top four or a big European team like Henry or Shearer. Nobody is saying that they did it all the time. Just as you pointed out they did do it on occassion. All I am saying is that Ronaldo has not achieved that yet and until he does the hype he is recieving is way over board.

Why do you judge Shearer or Henry as great players because sometimes they destroyed big teams but you let Ronaldo have a free pass?

And it is also nonsensical to suggest that it is just ppl take this view because they are begrudgers or because they dont like Man Utd. I support Man Utd. I have nothing but admiration for Ronaldo. I just dont buy into the hype machine and I don't devalue plaudits by giving them out to somebody who doesn't deserve them just because SKY or the BBC get carried away.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,703 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

woooo232 wrote: »

What we are saying is that (I can't belive I have to explain this AGAIN!) Ronaldo has never destroyed a top four or a big European team like Henry or Shearer. Nobody is saying that they did it all the time. Just as you pointed out they did do it on occassion. All I am saying is that Ronaldo has not achieved that yet and until he does the hype he is recieving is way over board.

Would you not be better comparing Ronaldo to similar players, instead of strikers? Seems unfair.

You are missing the point completely. Please quote where ppl are saying that Ronaldo is a bad player or that his goal tally this year is not impressive?

Why do you judge Shearer or Henry as great players because sometimes they destroyed big teams but you let Ronaldo have a free pass?

And it is also nonsensical to suggest that it is just ppl take this view because they are begrudgers or because they dont like Man Utd. I support Man Utd. I have nothing but admiration for Ronaldo. I just dont buy into the hype machine and I don't devalue plaudits by giving them out to somebody who doesn't deserve them just because SKY or the BBC get carried away.
    Roma, seriously, did they turn crap between being touted as comforatble favourites to teach us lesson, easily turning us over in Rome, and getting pasted by us at Old Trafford in no small part because of a fantastic performance from Ronaldo?

Can you only have played well if your team win and your score? Cause Ronaldo played blinders against Arsenal in both the 4-2 win at Highbury and in the FA Cup final (which we lost, but he was still te best player on the pitch) and he ripped liveprool apart at OT on Rio's return. Not as many examples as I would like, but you said he has NEVER done it, while imo he CLEARLY has.

• Advertisement

Boggles wrote: »
    Would you not be better comparing Ronaldo to similar players, instead of strikers? Seems unfair.

I didn't. Mr Anderson did and I just ran with his comparison to make my point.

Although I think the point is about judging big players on how they fare against big teams. And in that sense it is an apt comparison imo.

Roma, seriously, did they turn crap between being touted as comforatble favourites to teach us lesson, easily turning us over in Rome, and getting pasted by us at Old Trafford in no small part because of a fantastic performance from Ronaldo?

Can you only have played well if your team win and your score? Cause Ronaldo played blinders against Arsenal in both the 4-2 win at Highbury and in the FA Cup final (which we lost, but he was still te best player on the pitch) and he ripped liveprool apart at OT on Rio's return. Not as many examples as I would like, but you said he has NEVER done it, while imo he CLEARLY has.

I think it is fair to say that Roma collapsed? I mean the whole Utd team played very well. Carrick and Smith if I remember had brilliant games. But it doesnt make either of one of them one into worldbeaters.

As for your second point, I guess our standards are just different. I expect slightly more from top players than "playing well". If you are going to be compared with Tiger Woods you should be doing a little bit better than playing well. He was good in all of those games. But my point is that he was not amazing and until he is he should not be hailed as some sort of amazing player up there with the greats of the game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,798 ✭✭✭Mr. Incognito

This really i beyond a joke. And this is my last time wasting my time on this thread because the behaviour of people is pathetic.
    Ronaldo is a great player. He's shown it all season in all competitions. I'm not saying he's Pelé so that stupid argument isn't needed. His scoring has been amazing; for any player in any league. The fact he isn't an out and out striker only adds to how good the accomplishment is. Anyone arguing that he is a forward or that he hasn't done it 'against the big boys' are begrudgers. Plain and simple. The fact you're still giving out about him despite him scoring against one of the top four which is what you moaned about for 10 pages previously proves you will never be happy and will continue to try to detract from him as a player and his accomplishments.
    He has scored 30+ goals consistently over the season against all types of teams. George Best didn't get his 30+ goals all against the top four sides. No one is taking away from what he did though. I said it before and I'll repeat; if Ronaldo scored one goal a game against the top four sides and did nothing else all season you'd complain that he isn't consistent enough. He's consistent and you complain. He scored against Liverpool at the weekend and you still find something to complain about. He didn't have a particularly great game but still scored and should easily have scored another two goals being honest. Still not happy. So basically you want him to utterly destroy the top four sides each and everytime we play them is that it? Great players you will acknowledge like Henry and Shearer didn't destroy the top four sides everytime they played them. Didn't always score either. But did sometimes. But the case is different with Ronaldo for a reason; you don't like him for the type of player he is a who he plays for. Call that paranoia if you want. But many will back me up and those denying it have yet to argue otherwise. I personally thought Henry was an arrogant **** who intimidated referees, team mates and rilled up opposing fans all while being a hypocrit while trying to come off as innocent as can be. But I can admit he was a fabulous player who did great things. Despite not scoring and ripping us apart everytime he played.
    You detracted from Ronaldo because he wasn't consistent. This season and last he's arguably been the most consistent player in the world in terms of form. Along with his scoring for the past two seasons I think it's hard to find any player who has matched him. Now the consistency is there you say he doesn't do it against the top 4 teams. He scores against one of them and you're not happy because he didn't annihilate them. If he had no doubt the problem would be that he has to do it each and everytime he plays. You want the impossible is it? How about you write down a list of what exactly he has to do before you'll give credit where you happily give it to other players. In fact, don't bother. I'm tired of reading excuse after excuse.

+1

I notice a lot of people are very very quiet sice Sunday with the "no goal against a top side argument" Ronald hit the post in the first half, set up the the corner that lead to his goal (for the record, after the tame shot he looked over to the linesman and put his hands to his head, he thought he was offside hense the tame shot) was given the 2 bonus points behind Rooney in the fantasy football league.

I'm not a united fan, in fact I hate them. And Ronaldo's a twat but anyone criticising his skills as a footballer is, frankly, an idiot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,917 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

Tiger Woods doesn't win every trophy, y'know?

Schumacher didn't win every grand prix, or every championship.

Sampras and Federer have never won in the french open.

Jonah Lomu never won a Rugby world cup with a great team around him.

Ronaldo is the best in the world at the moment, and has been all season, Portugal's best player, top scorer in the PL and CL, scores amazing and simple goals, scores in big and small matches.

SetantaL wrote: »
    +1

I notice a lot of people are very very quiet sice Sunday with the "no goal against a top side argument" Ronald hit the post in the first half, set up the the corner that lead to his goal (for the record, after the tame shot he looked over to the linesman and put his hands to his head, he thought he was offside hense the tame shot) was given the 2 bonus points behind Rooney in the fantasy football league.

I'm not a united fan, in fact I hate them. And Ronaldo's a twat but anyone criticising his skills as a footballer is, frankly, an idiot.
    astrofool wrote: »
    Tiger Woods doesn't win every trophy, y'know?

Schumacher didn't win every grand prix, or every championship.

Sampras and Federer have never won in the french open.

Jonah Lomu never won a Rugby world cup with a great team around him.

Ronaldo is the best in the world at the moment, and has been all season, Portugal's best player, top scorer in the PL and CL, scores amazing and simple goals, scores in big and small matches.

I actually feel like I have somehow been transported into some sort of alternative universe where nobody listens to any points that have been made that don't completely agree with their own viewpoint and make up things that they think others have said!!! Or maybe that is just normal for the soccer forum??

SetantaL please show me where anybody said that Ronaldo never scored against big teams?? Who exactly was putting forward the "no goals against top sides argument??:confused:

astrofool are you serioulsy comparing Ronaldo with sporting icons such as Shumacher, Sampras, Fedderer or Tiger Woods??? I mean seriously this early in his career that is madness!! The difference between Ronaldo and all of them is that they dominated against everybody not just the lesser lights. They may not have dominated every single event they entered but they did dominate everybody they faced frequently.

Woo-hoo
    SetantaL please show me where anybody said that Ronaldo never scored against big teams?? Who exactly was putting forward the "no goals against top sides argument??

Opening post Woo-Hoo
    But surely he has to do it against the likes of Liverpool, Arsenal and Chelsea as well as in the really big games in Europe to warrant the attention that he is receiving??

Page 1 Woo-hoo
    Besides maybe a cross last year against Liverpool and a good display against a Roma side that capitulated at old Trafford I cant really remember too much from Ronaldo against the big teams

Surely to be the best player in the world you have to show more than scoring lots of goals against poor opposition.

Page 1 Mr Nice Guy
    Ronaldo deserves huge credit and is in my opinion one of the best players in the world but he has to do his stuff on the major occasions to be considered the best player on the planet.

Page 3 Woo hoo
    Look it was equally ridiculous when the likes of Dunphy were calling Ronaldo a nothing player and a birdbrain. But it is equally nonsensical that ppl are comparing him to sporting icons just because he has scored a lot of goals against mediocre opposition.

Hanton 12 Page 3
    As great and all as I think Ronaldo is at winning 'tough' games against Fulham and Bolton, its only when he starts being the match winner against the like of the top 4 and the top sides in Europe where he'll get his recognition justified

Bubs 101 Page 3
    Also, I don't really think it matters that much that he doesn't pull it out on the big games in England,

Hanton 12 Page 4
    Its well and good doing it against Bolton, Fulham, Derby etc, and fair play to him for his scoring against these teams as he consistently plays well in the majority of Utd's games against weaker opposition when others are a bit lazy, but I'd like to see him adding this capability in the latter stages of the CL, or in the run in now when he plays Liverpool and Chelsea, and then justify why he can be considered the best in the world right now.

Page 4 Woo hoo
    The knoc on Ronaldo IS that he can be marked out of big games.

Page 4 Irish Mike
    I said to all the people that said Ronaldo has not done it against the big
    teams and so what if he has scored 33 goals this season.

Page 2 Woo Hoo
    tbh maybe you should do some research!

Indeed.

I could keep going over the rest of the thread but it's pretty much the same.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,917 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

I actually feel like I have somehow been transported into some sort of alternative universe where nobody listens to any points that have been made that don't completely agree with their own viewpoint and make up things that they think others have said!!! Or maybe that is just normal for the soccer forum??

I'm sorry, but it's you who's presenting your opinion as fact, SetantaL has just deconstructed almost your entire argument in one, not very long, post.

You can hold whatever opinion you like, doesn't mean that if you share it on here, that anyone can't disagree with you, and show you why that opinion is wrong and should be changed.

Couldn't have put it better. Class player. Arument for him possibly being the best in the world at the moment. But has not done in against big teams

Boggles wrote: »

Hows about Zidane?Keane?Figo?Viera?

Couldn't have put it better. Class player. Arument for him possibly being the best in the world at the moment. But has not done in against big teams

Um did you even read the above posts before wading it with the same dusty stick.
    Zidane?Keane?Figo?Viera?

I don't remember any of those players scoring even more than 10 goals in a season, never mind 30. Ronaldo is a better player hands down than any of those examples.

• Advertisement

Um did you even read the above posts before wading it with the same dusty stick.

I don't remember any of those players scoring even more than 10 goals in a season, never mind 30. Ronaldo is a better player hands down than any of those examples.

I am saying he is a class act, but, I thought he was just another player on Sunday. Didn't show what he is truely capabale of.

30 goals is a phemoninal return for a striker or a midfielder and he's not an out and out striker or midfielder. I or no one else is questioning that. Its just seems that he is either marked out of it or his nerves get to him. any other resons are welcome!!

And will you kindly read my post properly before
    wading it with the same dusty stick.

I never said he wasn't class. Compare him to those players in a big game situation.

Compare him to those players on goals scored in a season he's better

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

hamnegg wrote: »
    Hows about Zidane?Keane?Figo?Viera?

Figo is the only positional comparison you can make there, when was roy keane a winger????

argh, cant believe i posted here

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,956 ✭✭✭CHD

You dont know much about football do you?think before u speak!

am saying he is a class act, but, I thought he was just another player on Sunday. Didn't show what he is truely capabale of.

30 goals is a phemoninal return for a striker or a midfielder and he's not an out and out striker or midfielder. I or no one else is questioning that. Its just seems that he is either marked out of it or his nerves get to him. any other resons are welcome!!

And will you kindly read my post properly before

He hit the winner, and set up the corner that led to it. What do you want him to do? This isn't a roy of the Rovers comic, the ball isn't going to burst into flames and decapitate four defenders on the way in.

They flattened Roma last season and people said it was a fluke, Roma are still in the last 8 of the champions league this season.

Those comparisions, frankly, are crap. There has never been a player similar nor so compete. Viera, Roy Keane dipping a fee kick from 30 yards? the mere idea is ludicrous
    You dont know much about football do you?think before u speak!

Figo

5 years at Barca 30 goals total
    5 years at Real madrid 36 goals total.

Zidane

5 years at Juve 24 goals total
    5 years at Real madrid 37 goals total

Patrick Viera

9 years at Arsenal 29 goals total

Roy Keane

12 Years at Man Utd 33 Goals total.

Ronaldo has scored 34 in one season!! More than Keane in 12 years ffs.

So back in your box chd- stick to poker.

astrofool are you serioulsy comparing Ronaldo with sporting icons such as Shumacher, Sampras, Fedderer or Tiger Woods??? I mean seriously this early in his career that is madness!! The difference between Ronaldo and all of them is that they dominated against everybody not just the lesser lights. They may not have dominated every single event they entered but they did dominate everybody they faced frequently.

Im sorry but are u using sports stars in individual sports to justify why a guy in a team sport is not great?

Guys like Federer etc dont have to concern themselves with being double marked by opposition defenders..... The whole basis of your argument is flawed.

Im not gonna get into this cos I agree with the above posts so no need to add to it but this whole "he doesnt dominate like Tiger Woods does" is ludicrous.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,310 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

How can you compare Roy Keane Viera or Zidane to Ronaldo very different players.

Only one you can compare is Figo and they play in differnet leagues.

Ronaldo recently beat Best's goal scoring recorded at United but i have 1 question how many free kicks and pens did Best take? score? compared to Ronaldo.

How can you compare Roy Keane Viera or Zidane to Ronaldo very different players.

Only one you can compare is Figo and they play in differnet leagues.

Ronaldo recently beat Best's goal scoring recorded at United but i have 1 question how many free kicks and pens did Best take? score? compared to Ronaldo.

Ah now here. Now you're trying to discredit him cos he takes the set pieces? Give me a f**kin break will ya. Free kicks and penalties are a skill in themselves.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,310 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

Such a skill Roberto Carlos lived off 1 for years.

Or the Goal Keepers in South America with high scoring records taking Pens and Free Kicks you would hardly call them skillful players if they are playing in nets.

He hit the winner, and set up the corner that led to it. What do you want him to do? This isn't a roy of the Rovers comic, the ball isn't going to burst into flames and decapitate four defenders on the way in.

They flattened Roma last season and people said it was a fluke, Roma are still in the last 8 of the champions league this season.

Those comparisions, frankly, are crap. There has never been a plater similar nor so compete. Viera, Roy Keane dipping a fee kick from 30 yards? the mere idea is ludicrous

Figo

5 years at Barca 30 goals total
    5 years at Real madrid 36 goals total.

Zidane

5 years at Juve 24 goals total
    5 years at Real madrid 37 goals total

Patrick Viera

9 years at Arsenal 29 goals total

Roy Keane

12 Years at Man Utd 33 Goals total.

Ronaldo has scored 34 in one season!! More than Keane in 12 years ffs.

So back in your box chd- stick to poker.

are you for real?!?!those players are all top class! dont be so stupid!footbal isnt about just scoring goals.ronaldo isnt better than Viera, Keane, Figo and hes nowhere near as good as Zidane.as i said think before you speak.Footballers skills arent measured by goals.People like you that say Ronaldo is best in the world and then back it up by saying well hes scored more goals so he must be worlds best.yeah good point.

Ronaldo is not the best player in the world.Jason byrne made 122 apps. for Shelbourne scoring 83 goals.That must make him better than Zidane and all aswell.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,352 ✭✭✭plonk

Ya but you can't compare the eircom league to the premiership. Ronaldo is playing at a top level for one of the best clubs in europe.

plonk wrote: »
    Ya but you can't compare the eircom league to the premiership. Ronaldo is playing at a top level for one of the best clubs in europe.

Exactly

You cant compare Ronaldo to Keane Figo Zidane and say hes better cause he scored more goals

I agree, but if I need a new mobile phone I'll go to watch figo play. If I want to see goals I'll go watch Ronaldo.

The point is whether Ronaldo is a better player than those. I personally think he is, a petulant child perhaps but better than Figo in his heyday- absolutely. Figo was a devistating winger but he wasn't as dangerous as Ronaldo, every time Ronaldo gets the ball you have the feeling that he could score. In almost every game this season he has, be that champions league (6 goals in 7 appearances) where no-one can argue with the opposition or the FA cup where one can.

Keane was a solid professional but if he wasn't Irish we'd only rate him as another journey man, Viera was a mean defensive rock, but neither is an accurate comparison with Ronaldo who is a totally different player.

Zidane was a god, but he has is retired and has 12/13 years under his belt of top quality football. I think in ten years time we'll concede that Ronaldo is and was better than all 4.

Not just on goals but on all round ability.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,529 ✭✭✭Im_No_Superman

SetantaL wrote:
    Keane was a solid professional but if he wasn't Irish we'd only rate him as another journey man

Sweet Jesus Ive heard it all now! :eek::rolleyes:

i know.:D

He hasnt a clue

i know.:D

He hasnt a clue

• Advertisement

Okay, Keane was great, but I still can't stand the twat.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Or the Goal Keepers in South America with high scoring records taking Pens and Free Kicks you would hardly call them skillful players if they are playing in nets.

Why not? South Americans are just that technical...regardless of their position. Plus, just because they don't do stepovers does not make them unskillful. Playing in goal is a skill.

Exactly

You cant compare Ronaldo to Keane Figo Zidane and say hes better cause he scored more goals

Why not it's a valid point. They are comparable leagues. The league of Ireland is not.

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:Yea sure anyone can whip in a free kick, those guys in the EPL are so lucky to get paid for it while we sit at home on our asses aqnd dont get paid huge amounts of money for taking specialist free kicks. What was I thinking?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,848 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

some of the comments here are laughable

• Advertisement
Advertisement