Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Uniteds Current Squad (Ronaldo, Nani etc etc)

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,956 ✭✭✭CHD

Trilla wrote: »
    some of the comments here are laughable

i agree.

this thread should be locked up!

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭hamnegg

SetantaL wrote: »
    Okay, Keane was great, but I still can't stand the twat.

so he's gone from being a journey man to being great.

If your taking the p**s your funny.

Why not it's a valid point. They are comparable leagues. The league of Ireland is not.

I think he was taking the mick mentioning Jason Byrne. My neighbour scored 30 in 20 In the U12D brenfer league from left back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭FatherTed

chdpoker wrote: »
    are you for real?!?!those players are all top class! dont be so stupid!footbal isnt about just scoring goals.ronaldo isnt better than Viera, Keane, Figo and hes nowhere near as good as Zidane.as i said think before you speak.Footballers skills arent measured by goals.People like you that say Ronaldo is best in the world and then back it up by saying well hes scored more goals so he must be worlds best.yeah good point.

Ronaldo is not the best player in the world.Jason byrne made 122 apps. for Shelbourne scoring 83 goals.That must make him better than Zidane and all aswell.

So WHO do YOU think is the best player in the world this year?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,798 ✭✭✭Mr. Incognito

Hamnegg and Hdpoker- you can laugh at me all day, but neither of you has addressed the points that were laid out.

I have clearly refuted your positions on Ronaldo, which is the topic in hand. Can either of you give me a logical argument on why these players are better than Ronaldo?

FatherTed wrote: »
    So WHO do YOU think is the best player in the world this year?

Think we need a new thread.
    Poll anyone??

Ronaldo?

Byrne?

My 12 year old neighbour?

Zidane, in his best year just to spice it up? (Sorry scrap that he doesn't score enough?

Keane, again in his day?(Sorry journey man, or his he great?!)

Hamnegg and Hdpoker- you can laugh at me all day, but neither of you has addressed the points that were laid out.

I have clearly refuted your positions on Ronaldo, which is the topic in hand. Can either of you give me a logical argument on why these players are better than Ronaldo?

For the 20th time They have performed, sorry dominated on the big stage. Back to the wall they grabbed the game by the scruff of the neck.

Hamann/Gerrard Vs. Milan. Both showed up when it counted
    Where Gerrard was Sunday I don't know but now and again he does!
    Beckham Vs. Greece. That free kick, pressure on he delivered.

Owen Vs. Arsenal 2001 F.A. Cup final. 10 mins left 1 down(and should have at least 3) he robs Arsenal. 2 good finishes.

Zidane Vs.... I don't have all day

Figo Vs. Barca on his return to play them.

Again I repeat
    They have performed, sorry dominated on the big stage, when they were really badly needed.

Ronaldo hasn't, yet

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,252 ✭✭✭deisedevil

I have never seen so much being made of whether any other player is the best in the world. Ronaldo is not liked for many reasons, some valid and some unfair and because of this he isn't given a fair assesment by many people.
    I still haven't seen anyone come up with a decent reason why there is a better player in the world right now. All i have seen is comments about why Ronaldo isn't good enough to be world no. 1. Why are people concentrating on putting him down rather than concentrating on who IS the best player?

deisedevil wrote: »
    I have never seen so much being made of whether any other player is the best in the world. Ronaldo is not liked for many reasons, some valid and some unfair and because of this he isn't given a fair assesment by many people.
    I still haven't seen anyone come up with a decent reason why there is a better player in the world right now. All i have seen is comments about why Ronaldo isn't good enough to be world no. 1. Why are people concentrating on putting him down rather than concentrating on who IS the best player?

If you're looking for the best player over a season I don't think there is anyone better. I'm a liverpool fan saying that. He's class.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,614 ✭✭✭The Sparrow

@SetantaL I just read your list of quotes a few pages ago... You still dont get it... I asked you for proof of one person saying that Ronaldo needs to score more goals. So instead you post lots of ppl saying that he needs to play better against stronger opposition. That is not the same as saying that Ronaldo needs to score goals which none of those posters said. How do you still not grasp that when myself and others talk about Ronaldo needing to improve against bigger teams that we do NOT mean that he just needs to score more goals against them:confused:
    SetantaL wrote:
    Keane was a solid professional but if he wasn't Irish we'd only rate him as another journey man

Ok that might be why... not the greatest grasp of reality there!! wow... just wow!! :eek::eek:
    astroturf wrote:
    SetantaL has just deconstructed almost your entire argument in one, not very long, post.

You can hold whatever opinion you like, doesn't mean that if you share it on here, that anyone can't disagree with you, and show you why that opinion is wrong and should be changed.

See above! He didnt as much deconstruct my post as fail to answer my intial question to show where posters said that Ronaldo needed more goals. And as for the second point I am all for ppl having different opinions... I just wish that they read my opinion if they are going to disagree with it and at leasst try to understand it.
    Im sorry but are u using sports stars in individual sports to justify why a guy in a team sport is not great?

Guys like Federer etc dont have to concern themselves with being double marked by opposition defenders..... The whole basis of your argument is flawed.

Im not gonna get into this cos I agree with the above posts so no need to add to it but this whole "he doesnt dominate like Tiger Woods does" is ludicrous.

I didnt use any of those examples initially... Other posters such as astroturf did and I was just carrying on their arguments. That is why I quoted their posts in mine so there would be no confusion. And my point is that it is a ludicrous comparison. In fact the whole point of this thread was the shock at hearing Jamie Redknapp compare Ronaldo to Tiger Woods and me saying how ridiculous that was. Again please try and at least read some of the previous posts and take those ideas on board.

This thread has made me realise that the whole "best player in the world" is such a pointless concept unless it is judged at the end of a season. Who would care how many goals Ronaldo has scored if Messi scores six goals against Utd in a semi-final and a hat-trick in the final as well as scoring 15 goals in the remaining La Liga games as Barca win the title.

My point is that everyone should wait until the end of the season to crown the world's best player. Who cares who the supposed worlds player of the year is in March???

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 496 ✭✭juanveron45

I ask this as a manutd fan but has owen hargreaves been found out or is it just his injury problems thats affecting his selection for manutd?

I actually think that he has played very well when he has been able to. So I think it is just the case of a lot of niggly injuries interrupting his season. I expect lots from him next year!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,677 ✭✭✭Chong

ITs just injuries he is Mr Sick Note, but hey he aint as bad as Darren Anderton or should say that flipping muppet that is Louis Saha.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,658 ✭✭✭✭Peyton Manning

Hampered by injuries - has always impressed when he played. More suited to a 3 man midfield though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,096 ✭✭✭An Citeog

Against the majority of Premiership teams, he's not really needed because United tend to have so much of the ball. It's the big games in the EPL and in the CL that he was bought for and he's definitely impressed me so far in those (particularly Liverpool away and Arsenal away this season).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,203 ✭✭✭Attractive Nun

I think he's just been very unlucky that injuries haven't allowed him much of a run in the team. With Anderson's form in the first half of the season and Carrick's in the second (plus, Paul Scholes being Paul Scholes) he's also found it tough to break into the team at all. He has had some very good games this season - against Spurs in the cup, for one - but he needs to develop a partnership with someone next season to get a good run in the team. I reckon Hargreaves/Anderson could be seen a lot next season.

I still think he's a top class defensive midfielder. That said, he has quite a bit to prove and is currently behind Mascherano, Flamini and Essien in my books.

I think he's just been very unlucky that injuries haven't allowed him much of a run in the team. With Anderson's form in the first half of the season and Carrick's in the second (plus, Paul Scholes being Paul Scholes) he's also found it tough to break into the team at all. He has had some very good games this season - against Spurs in the cup, for one - but he needs to develop a partnership with someone next season to get a good run in the team. I reckon Hargreaves/Anderson could be seen a lot next season.

I still think he's a top class defensive midfielder. That said, he has quite a bit to prove and is currently behind Mascherano, Flamini and Essien in my books.

Id put him on a par with Mascherano and Flamini, but none of them come near Essien. That bloke, in my opinion, in Ronaldo's biggest contender to be best player in the world.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,203 ✭✭✭Attractive Nun

Archimedes wrote: »
    Id put him on a par with Mascherano and Flamini, but none of them come near Essien. That bloke, in my opinion, in Ronaldo's biggest contender to be best player in the world.

Really? Obviously he's a great player and all, but I wouldn't have rated him that highly at all. Haven't seen too many full Chelsea matches this season to be honest, but I had thought his form had dipped a bit. Sure he was playing right back there the other day!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,275 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

A more defensive player such as Essien is much less likely to be given the Best player in teh world title

• Advertisement
  • Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

I don't think his form has been as good this season but Essien is still awesome. I shat myself when he was moved into central midfield against Arsenal (metaphorically speaking). Chelsea won.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

Will there be a thread for every United player by the end of the week?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭BrianCalgary

MrJoeSoap wrote: »
    Will there be a thread for every United player by the end of the week?

Working on it. :)

We love Hargreaves here in Calgary. Think he has plyed very well and has done us proud.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,825 ✭✭✭Mikeyt086

A more defensive player such as Essien is much less likely to be given the Best player in teh world title

Cannavaro?

I personally am very happy to see OH on the United teamsheet. Doesnt happen alot though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,044 ✭✭✭Sqaull20

Zidane was a god, but he has is retired and has 12/13 years under his belt of top quality football. I think in ten years time we'll concede that Ronaldo is and was better than all 4.

Not just on goals but on all round ability.

He better get started then :D

To do what Zidane did, is near impossible...

Ronaldo will have to lead who ever he plays with to champions league titles, a world cup, a euro, a few world player of the year awards, all while being the difference maker..

He has been the difference in league, but he hasnt done nothing of great importance in the latter stages of the champions league, world cup, euro's etc, something Zidane etc thrived on...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

I wasn't going to post again in this thread but this sort of shit talk has left me compelled to do so -
    hamnegg wrote: »
    Hows about Zidane?Keane?Figo?Viera?
    Ronaldo is a better player hands down than any of those examples.

:eek: FFS that has to be one of the most ridiculous comments I've ever seen posted on this forum. Ronaldo better than Zidane because he scores more goals? Good Christ. How shit must Maldini be so? :rolleyes:
    Zidane was a God, but he has is retired and has 12/13 years under his belt of top quality football. I think in ten years time we'll concede that Ronaldo is and was better than all 4.

And he goes on! WTF?! Zidane is the greatest player in our lifetime and possibly before and no whinging, diving winger is ever going to be better no matter how many goals he scores. He is a very good player, no doubting that, but better than Zidane? Give me a break.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,956 ✭✭✭CHD

now SetantaL you see how wrong you are!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

You can't say any other player won't be better than Zidane...I reckon Ronaldo one day may be as good as Zidane.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,384 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

Hargreaves is a perfect example of the Emperors new clothes syndrome.
    Very limited footballer ,more an athlete than a footballer.
    I'm sure Eric Cantona would label him a water carrier.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭Mad_Max

Hargreaves is a perfect example of the Emperors new clothes syndrome.
    Very limited footballer ,more an athlete than a footballer.
    I'm sure Eric Cantona would label him a water carrier.

Probably makes him more valuable in some ways. I think he's been great when played. Also been suprised with his lack of game time but only because i hadn't heard of any major injury.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

he has always been known for his injury problems, even before he came to united. im happy enough, i have never been overly impressed with him and have always said if you could roll him and carrick into one player then you would have a world class central midfielder. i think he was bought for europe, and that saddens me considering the amount paid for him, he will mainly be used in away european games and games against arsenal and chelsea. a cheaper alternative could surely have been found??

mascherano is one of the best defensive midfielders in europe, no doubt in my mind, essien is a beast, and really is that damn good. but the benchmark will always be makelele and none come close to him in that position when he was at his peak. essien is a box to box midfielder, id love him at united, id literally cream my pants.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭FatherTed

He is an ok player, not brilliant by any means. Does defensive work very well but I think his passing is very poor. His main job is for those difficult CL games. I'm sure he will be in the side in Rome next week.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 227 ✭✭Syke

Not a fan, think he was overrated and one of Uniteds weaker players.

Personally I think there were many better players that United could have signed.

Are we going to have a thread on every United player at this rate?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,842 ✭✭✭s8n

Continuing the trend of a thread per Utd player. I propose a discussion on the merits of young Nani. It's pretty obvious that the boy has serious Talent (as much potential as Ronaldo perhaps ?), but he can be very frustrating to watch sometimes, can be lazy and selfish.

However, what a crosser of a ball.....

Bearing in mind that it's pretty obvious that Ryan Giggs best years are behind him, should Nani now be first choice on the left....

Discuss

Cant say I approve of this thread, no reason why this cant be put in the United thread.

However, if your asking my opinion on him, I believe that he's done enough to be considered a starter ahead of Giggs. Has a powerful shot on him, and is an amazing crosser of the ball. Has 13 assists and 4 goals already this season which is quite incredible for the lad. Have high hopes for him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,552 ✭✭✭✭GuanYin

Ok.

Enough of this.

I'm merging all the United player threads. United already have a player thread.

This is ridiculous. Use this thread or the United thread but it is NOT ok to start a thread for every player.

PSI you are my hero! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,842 ✭✭✭s8n

boooo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,283 ✭✭✭gucci

Nani=Chris Kamara

• Registered Users Posts: 1,263 ✭✭✭yom 1

gucci wrote: »
    Nani=Chris Kamara

:D

He reminds me of Michael Jackson!

I wasn't going to post again in this thread but this sort of **** talk has left me compelled to do so -

Quote:
    Originally Posted by hamnegg
    Hows about Zidane?Keane?Figo?Viera?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by SetantaL
    Ronaldo is a better player hands down than any of those examples.

FFS that has to be one of the most ridiculous comments I've ever seen posted on this forum. Ronaldo better than Zidane because he scores more goals? Good Christ. How **** must Maldini be so?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by SetantaL
    Zidane was a God, but he has is retired and has 12/13 years under his belt of top quality football. I think in ten years time we'll concede that Ronaldo is and was better than all 4.

And he goes on! WTF?! Zidane is the greatest player in our lifetime and possibly before and no whinging, diving winger is ever going to be better no matter how many goals he scores. He is a very good player, no doubting that, but better than Zidane? Give me a break.

This is subjective. In my opinion Ronaldo has more ability than Zidane. Whether he can produce in a champions league final- time will tell. I was saying in ten years we may look back and claim Ronaldo as a better all round player- in my opinion we will. One thing is for certain, he is a lot cuter than Zidane, he gets players sent off instead of the other way round. I don't like
    Ronaldo as a person, I dislike -but I do as a footballer. If people were man enough to admit that we might get somewhere.
    @SetantaL I just read your list of quotes a few pages ago... You still dont get it... I asked you for proof of one person saying that Ronaldo needs to score more goals. So instead you post lots of ppl saying that he needs to play better against stronger opposition. That is not the same as saying that Ronaldo needs to score goals which none of those posters said. How do you still not grasp that when myself and others talk about Ronaldo needing to improve against bigger teams that we do NOT mean that he just needs to score more goals against them

I think you are so entrenched in your own opinion that no matter what Roanldo does you will not be satisfied. I pointed out the blatant contradictions in your positions and you still do not concede that. You just move the goal posts again, (pun intended) Maybe you can re-read my last post again. I'll not be going round in circles with you on this again.
    now SetantaL you see how wrong you are!!

Thanks, the next time I need a cheerleader I know where to look. Just because people disagree doesn't mean they are wrong. Grow up.

• Advertisement

This is subjective. In my opinion Ronaldo has more ability than Zidane. Whether he can produce in a champions league final- time will tell. I was saying in ten years we may look back and claim Ronaldo as a better all round player- in my opinion we will. One thing is for certain, he is a lot cuter than Zidane, he gets players sent off instead of the other way round. I don't like
    Ronaldo as a person, I dislike -but I do as a footballer. If people were man enough to admit that we might get somewhere.

The LGB forum is thata way
    > :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,820 ✭✭✭grames_bond

hell if ronaldo can have a "bad game" and still knock in a goal and have a few other opportunities then that shows the talent he has and he deserves what people are sayin about him!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

cheesedude wrote: »
    You can't say any other player won't be better than Zidane...I reckon Ronaldo one day may be as good as Zidane.

I'd also put money on it that most kids today when they grow up are going to be remembering Ronaldo as the best player in the world they have ever seen along with Messi...if they keep doing their stuff over the next decade.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,276 ✭✭✭Memnoch

Subjective is right. On what basis do you say he has more ability than Zidane? This is like the British press talking about how Rooney is like the next Pele, the entire statement borders on the ludicrous. Whatever ability he has or doesn't have will show on the pitch and his performances. Ronaldo has had a very good season in the premiereship and has shown some pretty good skill(against premiereship teams), that doesn't make him on par with zidane, not yet. I'm sick and tired to death of the over hyping of young players. Let them produce first, then make claims of greatness.

In ten years time lots of things may be said or believed. I'll wait till I see it.

Also you talk about things being subjective and opinion, and then you go on to claim how anyone who disagrees with you is not "man enough to admit that," which is a hypocritical statement to say the least.
    I think you are so entrenched in your own opinion that no matter what Roanldo does you will not be satisfied. I pointed out the blatant contradictions in your positions and you still do not concede that. You just move the goal posts again, (pun intended) Maybe you can re-read my last post again. I'll not be going round in circles with you on this again.

I think the issue of entrenched opinion is something that applies 10x to your stated views of Ronaldo. And what EXACTLY has he achieved on the pitch? I know all about how many goals in the premiereship and breaking United records etc etc. If you were to say that Ronaldo is one of the best wingers to have played at United then that statement might have merit. But to translate that to the rest of the world is a big jump which he has not done enough yet to justify.

Please tell me, how many top teams/defences has he run rings around or confounded with his skills? How many high level games has he changed with a moment of pure inspiration? How many times has he destroyed top quality opposition who simply don't have an answer to his skill?

Maybe it happened when I was asleep, but I've yet to see him do anything of the sort. Maybe the coming European championships and champions league will be the place where he finally announces himself on the world stage. But let's wait till he does that. Players who are considered GREAT have earned that right by doing the above.

When we talk about Zidane or Maradona or Pele, these are players that put fear into the heart of the very best defence. That could and did change the course of a high stakes match in an instant. Men with charecter. Leaders. Role models. Who played not just football, but also embodied the very spirit of the beautiful game. Who had PRESENCE on the pitch of which one could not avoid being in awe of no matter what their individual allegiences. Players who did not need to fall down and roll around like a little girl every time someone took the ball off them because they were too good for that (hand of god notwithstanding).

I remember very clearly how Kafu spanked Ronaldo around like a little school girl in United's last encounter with Milan. And this was a Kafu no longer at his peak. Would he have been able to boss Zidane like that? What about Messi or Kaka?

It sickens me with disgust when every second premiereship "wonderkid" with some potential is placed on already equal footing with men who really are legends without having earned that right in his own stead.

In ten years time Ronaldo may be remembered as a great player. Or he may be just remembered as a pacy wringer who was good at running past average quality and skill premiereship defenders but could not stand toe-to-toe with or confound players of real quality at the peak of their game. I'm not arrogant enough to say with certainity which future will be realised. But I'd rather be not "man enough" by your standards than give plaudits to someone who has yet to earn them.
    Just because people disagree doesn't mean they are wrong. Grow up.

Mirror, pot, kettle, etc.

This is nonsense. I have been completely consistent and even the quotes that you pulled out are all saying the same thing (that Ronaldo needs to do more against big teams). Seriously either learn to read or go away.

Back on topic it seems to me that a lot of ppl are justifying the hype around Ronaldo with the fact that he has broken George Best's goal scoring record. And don't get me wrong, it is a brilliant achievement. But nobody remembers Geroge Best as a great player just because he scored 33 goals in one season.

He is hailed as a great player because of his performance away in Benfica in 1966... His European Cup final performance in 1968 or his wonderful performances against the big teams of the time like Liverpool, Man City, Leeds and Spurs.

Ronaldo may have broken his goal scoring record but until he shows up in the big games George Best will be way ahead of him.

Subjective is right. On what basis do you say he has more ability than Zidane? This is like the British press talking about how Rooney is like the next Pele, the entire statement borders on the ludicrous. Whatever ability he has or doesn't have will show on the pitch and his performances. Ronaldo has had a very good season in the premiereship and has shown some pretty good skill(against premiereship teams), that doesn't make him on par with zidane, not yet. I'm sick and tired to death of the over hyping of young players. Let them produce first, then make claims of greatness.

In ten years time lots of things may be said or believed. I'll wait till I see it.

Also you talk about things being subjective and opinion, and then you go on to claim how anyone who disagrees with you is not "man enough to admit that," which is a hypocritical statement to say the least.

Quote:

I think the issue of entrenched opinion is something that applies 10x to your stated views of Ronaldo. And what EXACTLY has he achieved on the pitch? I know all about how many goals in the premiereship and breaking United records etc etc. If you were to say that Ronaldo is one of the best wingers to have played at United then that statement might have merit. But to translate that to the rest of the world is a big jump which he has not done enough yet to justify.

Please tell me, how many top teams/defences has he run rings around or confounded with his skills? How many high level games has he changed with a moment of pure inspiration? How many times has he destroyed top quality opposition who simply don't have an answer to his skill?

Maybe it happened when I was asleep, but I've yet to see him do anything of the sort. Maybe the coming European championships and champions league will be the place where he finally announces himself on the world stage. But let's wait till he does that. Players who are considered GREAT have earned that right by doing the above.

When we talk about Zidane or Maradona or Pele, these are players that put fear into the heart of the very best defence. That could and did change the course of a high stakes match in an instant. Men with charecter. Leaders. Role models. Who played not just football, but also embodied the very spirit of the beautiful game. Who had PRESENCE on the pitch of which one could not avoid being in awe of no matter what their individual allegiences. Players who did not need to fall down and roll around like a little girl every time someone took the ball off them because they were too good for that (hand of god notwithstanding).

I remember very clearly how Kafu spanked Ronaldo around like a little school girl in United's last encounter with Milan. And this was a Kafu no longer at his peak. Would he have been able to boss Zidane like that? What about Messi or Kaka?

It sickens me with disgust when every second premiereship "wonderkid" with some potential is placed on already equal footing with men who really are legends without having earned that right in his own stead.

In ten years time Ronaldo may be remembered as a great player. Or he may be just remembered as a pacy wringer who was good at running past average quality and skill premiereship defenders but could not stand toe-to-toe with or confound players of real quality at the peak of their game. I'm not arrogant enough to say with certainity which future will be realised. But I'd rather be not "man enough" by your standards than give plaudits to someone who has yet to earn them.

Quote:
    Just because people disagree doesn't mean they are wrong. Grow up.

Mirror, pot, kettle, etc.

I actually agree with most of those points.

The whole disagreement started with people writing Ronaldo skills off because they don't like the little whine-bag. This is a fallacy. Hell, even I don't like the little whine bag but I appreciate he's skills as a footballer.

Ronaldo has the ability to be great, and has shown it this season. He was completely anonomys in the 3-0 thrashing last year by Milan but scored in the first leg, and let's face it that was an amazing Milan team.
    I'd agree, the hype that is heaped on Rooney is amazing, but can you imagine if Ronaldo was English?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,252 ✭✭✭deisedevil

Ronaldo was amazing last season. PFA and Young PFA player of the year. Ronaldo is playing even better this season and has the PFA in the bag. The EPL is regarded as the best league in the world at the moment and he is the best player in it two years in a row. He is playing fantastic in Champs League also. Will he come anywhere close to playing as well next season, ya he probably will. In 10 years time will he have racked up more seasons like this one and the last one, there's a good chance of it. Therefore does he have the potential to be one of the greats like Zidane........

And all this arguing because someone said he COULD be one of the greatest, he COULD be and is living up to that at the moment. Greatest right now, damn right he is. Don't agree with that, then show me who's better right now?

s8n wrote: »
    I propose a discussion on the merits of young Nani. It's pretty obvious that the boy has serious Talent

SAF posts here now?!:eek::eek::pac::pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

i'd say he loves me ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,399 ✭✭✭✭Thanx 4 The Fish

deisedevil wrote: »
    The EPL is regarded as the best league in the world at the moment

By who ??

Best league in the world, shows the amount of trust people put in Sky Sports commentary.

Advertisement