Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Diesel Cayenne

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,863 ✭✭✭RobAMerc

hold on a minute - Imagine you want an exclusive high end SUV that handles well but doesn't cost an absolute fortune to run - remember the 4.5 V8 and Turbo Cayenne drink petrol like its going out of fashion and the 3.2 is underpowered (imo) - Remember if you will the TG report of the V10 Touareg said that engine made it handle poorly - so then what choice do you have, the RR Sport?
    Obviously that car is selling well - so why wouldn't Porsche make a diesel version?

Believe me with that v10 on board the Cayenne diesel will not be short on thrills.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭niceirishfella

RobAMerc wrote: »

Believe me with that v10 on board the Cayenne diesel will not be short on thrills.

...........Or ejits to buy them!:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 619 ✭✭✭WHITE_P

Remember if you will the TG report of the V10 Touareg said that engine made it handle poorly.

So do you think the V10 TDI Cayenne, if they use that engine (its not mentioned in the report, a 3.2 V6 or the new Audi V12 are mentioned), will handle any better.

E 92: Why is diesel a great idea in a supercar, but not in a 4X4? I always thought it would be the other way around, no:confused:? Diesel is best suited to working vehicles, not in thrill machines like a supercar.
    As an aside, Audi aren't bothering with the hybrid Q7 after all, "the numbers don't add up" apparently. They're sticking with diesel instead for the US.

Never said that putting diesel into a super car was a great idea, althought I can't see any issue with it either, as to some it could be seen as an advancement, particularly as the diesel engine seems to have advanced a lot more in recent years than the petrol engine has.

I just don't and never could see the point in the Cayenne from the start, given that it is such an ugly looking car, when compared to the VW Touareg which it has so much in common with.

I think you should have a good read of the article on the following link, as I seem to remember you posting on another tread that Diesel is just a Fad.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diesel_engine

Must you mention BMW and their bag of tricks in almost every post you make.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

WHITE_P wrote: »
    E 92: Must you mention BMW and their bag of tricks in almost every post you make.

I'm afraid he does - he's on a %%, dontchaknow ;);):):)

Oh, and like BMW would sell one of their engines to their leading competitors on the class (X5 vs Cayenne..) - never happen.

Oh, and Otto Diesel invented the diesel to.............get around the petrol patent.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Advertisement

:D
    E92 wrote: »
    Why is diesel a great idea in a supercar, but not in a 4X4? I always thought it would be the other way around, no:confused:? Diesel is best suited to working vehicles, not in thrill machines like a supercar.

did you write that the right way round??

Anyhoo, you're forgetting the reason sportscars were invented in the first place -to win races. Audi have walked on everyone for the last X years with a diesel, and to ignore that fact is just plain daft. And the reason all those sports and F1 cars went away from clutches and gearlevers, and previous to that, non-syncromesh and double-declutching, is not for some esoteric thrill reason - it's because something better/faster/more effective came along.

Right now, the TDI is that Next Best Thing.:D :D

Wait 'til they do the diesel-hybrid - then you'll be really upset !!

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭E92

I just don't and never could see the point in the Cayenne from the start, given that it is such an ugly looking car, when compared to the VW Touareg which it has so much in common with.

As do I.
    I think you should have a good read of the article on the following link, as I seem to remember you posting on another tread that Diesel is just a Fad.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diesel_engine

Diesel is still a fad, nothing has changed since that discussion in that thread. This engine which runs on petrol by the way has the advantages of both engines. And because that means diesel economy, you're getting 11% less CO2 in the process(because burning diesel produces 13% more CO2 than the same quantity of burning petrol). There's no smelly particulates, oodles of Nitrous Oxide, no super expensive diesel technology and no complications like AdBlue which all the German car makers will be using in the coming years.
    Must you mention BMW and their bag of tricks in almost every post you make.

Here's why I do:
    galwaytt wrote: »
    he's on a %%, dontchaknow
    Happy:p?

Ah yes, but Diesel is cheaper to produce in a refinery than petrol.

Not that you'd notice at the pumps lately, LOL .........:rolleyes:

Ode To The Motorist

• Registered Users Posts: 5,863 ✭✭✭RobAMerc

So do you think the V10 TDI Cayenne, if they use that engine (its not mentioned in the report, a 3.2 V6 or the new Audi V12 are mentioned), will handle any better.

sorry I dont get what your saying ? Is it that the V10 would automatically make the Cayenne handle badly ?
    One presumes if Porsche did use it they would set the Cayenne up correctly to account for the mass.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,662 ✭✭✭maidhc

E92 wrote: »
    Diesel is still a fad, nothing has changed since that discussion in that thread. This engine which runs on petrol by the way has the advantages of both engines. And because that means diesel economy, you're getting 11% less CO2 in the process(because burning diesel produces 13% more CO2 than the same quantity of burning petrol). There's no smelly particulates, oodles of Nitrous Oxide, no super expensive diesel technology and no complications like AdBlue which all the German car makers will be using in the coming years.

IC engines are as much a fad as diesel engines are! The very nature of a reciprocating piston engine is not an ideal engineering solution. Diesel engines are not an ideal solution, and burning non renewable fuel is not an ideal solution.

Given the technology which does exist, diesel is currently the way forward for 90% of cars. They burn less of a scarse resource, and reduce the chances insofar as technically possible of climate change etc. Diesel engines are the best solution currently available, because they are not perfect does not mean they are a "fad".

If or when "Diesotto" engines prove viable, maybe that will be the way to go, but as of now, they do not, and hence we can safely say for at least the next 5 years diesel is the only way to go in the vast majority of cars.

• Advertisement

sorry I dont get what your saying ? Is it that the V10 would automatically make the Cayenne handle badly ?
    One presumes if Porsche did use it they would set the Cayenne up correctly to account for the mass.

If I read what you are saying correctly, VW didn't setup the Touareg properly in the first place, or Porsche will do a better job reworking what already exists.

Advertisement