Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Can't get Insurance on an RX-8

Options
  • 25-03-2008 9:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 525 ✭✭✭

I'm 24, been driving for 3 years have a full driving license and yet can't get a quote on a bloddy Madza RX-8. :mad: Its a joke. Tried Quinn, FBD and some online brokers such as 123.ie and insure.ie. All came back with the same result. I also tried an S2000 for pig-iron and wouldn't do that either. Most said they couldn't quote something that powerful. F&ck me, its not like its a 911 turbo or something.

These are some of the many reasons why i hate this bloody country. I mean lets face its nothing got to do with driving ability or maturity of the individual. Its all based on your age and statistics. Jaysus, if i was in the States i could be drivin a big 5.0Litre mustang.

Sorry for the rant, but its just so frustrating. Its not like i'd been drivin like a loon in it. I'm just a young guy who would like to drive a nice car. Its sickening. Rant Over.

Thank you

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

It's not just Ireland. Are you basing that on web searches. They HAVE TO quote you on the phone, if they refuse ask
    1)for their FULL name
    2)their manager's name
    3)to speak to their manager...
    4)hold as long as you have to...use 2 lines and make a second call if necessary requesting the manager.
    5)He/She will understand that you are legally entitled to a quote as opposed to the idiot on the phone. It will be ridiculously massive, but it'll be a quote. You can always take it to the courts

• Registered Users Posts: 525 ✭✭✭JHet

Thanks mate. I'm that p'd off, i might just try. Is that true though. Are insurance companies legally obligied to give you a quote? If so, i didn't realize this.

Thanks Again

• Registered Users Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭Cionád

ninty9er wrote: »
    They HAVE TO quote you on the phone

Are you sure they have to? Hibernian wouldn't quote me on my 2 litre diesel (non-turbo) Almera because the engine was above 1600 cc. :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 463 ✭✭hawkmoon269

JHet wrote: »
    I'm 24, been driving for 3 years have a full driving license and yet can't get a quote on a bloddy Madza RX-8. :mad: Its a joke. Tried Quinn, FBD and some online brokers such as 123.ie and insure.ie. All came back with the same result. I also tried an S2000 for pig-iron and wouldn't do that either. Most said they couldn't quote something that powerful. F&ck me, its not like its a 911 turbo or something.

These are some of the many reasons why i hate this bloody country. I mean lets face its nothing got to do with driving ability or maturity of the individual. Its all based on your age and statistics. Jaysus, if i was in the States i could be drivin a big 5.0Litre mustang.

Sorry for the rant, but its just so frustrating. Its not like i'd been drivin like a loon in it. I'm just a young guy who would like to drive a nice car. Its sickening. Rant Over.

Thank you

You need to talk to a broker.

A company called St Paul's and another niche company whose name I forget (I think they are owned by Lloyds) will probably cover you but they only deal via brokers.

Won't be cheap - but one or other of these companies will cover you.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,326 ✭✭✭Zapp Brannigan

I think you need 2 written refusals from 2 different companies before the you are legally given a quote.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

Fairly sure...got a quote of €4600 once on a 1.2 Opel Kadett:D:D

Thanks lads, but it seems like i'm gonna be screwed over no matter which way i turn. I'm gonna give it a go but they'll probably make up something ridiculous alright like 6 grand. Its just gonna make that car an unfeasible option for me.

To answer the the first post, i did actually go into FBD in person and they refused point blank.

I might have to start lookin for something a little less powerful like a BMW 318C or something like that. Mind you they might say that too bloody powerful aswell.
    Bunch of ba's....the lot of them

• Registered Users Posts: 7,010 ✭✭✭Barr

ninty9er wrote: »
    It's not just Ireland. Are you basing that on web searches. They HAVE TO quote you on the phone, if they refuse ask
    1)for their FULL name
    2)their manager's name
    3)to speak to their manager...
    4)hold as long as you have to...use 2 lines and make a second call if necessary requesting the manager.
    5)He/She will understand that you are legally entitled to a quote as opposed to the idiot on the phone. It will be ridiculously massive, but it'll be a quote. You can always take it to the courts

No they dont . You can look for the manager all day long but if you fall outside their acceptance criteria they wont quote.

[HTML]I think you need 2 written refusals from 2 different companies before the you are legally given a quote. [/HTML]

This is correct and I believe you have to go back to the first company that refused your quote. Problem then is they will quote what they want since basically they do dont want the type of risk on their books.

Try the comapny your already with their obliged to give you quote

Lads, any other suggestions for motors in the same vein that are more insurable for someone like me. I'm kinda havin to change my whole train of thought. It disgusts me but i guess those are the facts.

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 5,325 ✭✭✭Redsoxfan

Have you tried XS Direct?

Or else just wait a year or 2, will make a lot of difference.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,616 ✭✭✭milltown

Aw, there, there. Nipper can't insure his sports car. :D

Keep looking. Britton, XS Direct or St.Paul's should be able to sort you out but you will pay dearly. Insurance prices have come down a huge amount since I was 24. As a time served fitter I still couldn't afford to put a car on the road so you'll have to excuse me not offering my shoulder for you to cry on. Insure something a bit more sensible for a year or two (there's no mention of having any NCB in your OP) and you will have a bit more choice for insurance.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

You need to talk to a broker.

A company called St Paul's and another niche company whose name I forget (I think they are owned by Lloyds) will probably cover you but they only deal via brokers.

Won't be cheap - but one or other of these companies will cover you.

Is ASGARD the lloyds company you are talking about? I went with them and got good quotes and no trouble. AFAIK if in Ireland you have to go through a broker to get a quote though. Although that could be bollix. U can hardly blame me if it is. Look at me username. What did u expect?
    I mean Dr. Factual informationo isn't likely to show up any time soon is he?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 134 ✭✭ramanujan

Redsoxfan wrote: »
    Have you tried XS Direct?

Or else just wait a year or 2, will make a lot of difference.

this man talks sense, if you dont mind a huge excess these guys will insure you for around 1500 i'd imagine. 23 is the age they start to be reasonale at.

Advertisement