Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

WWE The Music Volume 8

• 25-03-2008 11:57pm

I've decided to do a mini-review of the CD.

Just for the sake of it really. I used to do them, and was asked to write one for a friends site, so i thought i'd do a short one for here too. :)

Very unlikely anyone here cares, but yeah...

Well anyway, I got this last night, although i only got around to listening to it this morning. It doesnt have any additional new themes. I believe there's a WalMart (?) version that features Santino's and Hornswoggle's themes on it as extras. I dont have these sadly. (I believe Ashley's track is a direct re-release from Volume 7.)

What i do have are the following:

No More Words - Endeverafter - Jeff Hardy theme

Well, its not much like his original, but i guess its cool that Jeff gets a new theme. A new theme is usually a good sign for a wrestler, but there really was no need to switch over from his old one. The song itself is mediocre really. Typical "take on the world" kinda song. Go up to any local band, ask them to do a song with a screeching guitar, a very short chorus, bland backing music and this is most likely what they'll play to you. I'm not impressed.

S.O.S. - Collie Buddz - Kofi Kingston

This is clearly the first stereotype of the CD. Its suprisingly catchy. Character wise, its a kick ass song. Its got a Mediterranean feel to it, but its also got a subtle, deathly, evilness to it. Kinda unique to WWE and honestly, whilst im not into this kinda music, i do have a feeling this is somewhat unique in itself. Its catchy, and has a freshness to it. Hellish reggae.

Glamazon - Beth Phoenix

This is what the CD is supposed to be about. Original, Jim Johnston-made, entrance music. No artists required. Just an entrance theme. However, this isn't honestly the best example of an entrance theme. I really dont know what im listening to. It sounds like something you'd give to Santino if you wanted to make sure he wasn't gonna get over. It seems cool. Its got a high pitched organ-ish effect going on, but is decorated with electric guitar. Its perfectly suited to Beth, as it gives you the feel that she is rough, but also an achiever. Similar has been done before by Johnston (See: Worlds Greatest Tag Team) but its definitely a great arena entrance. However, all it is, is an arena entrance. Not something you'd put on to impress a group of friends of your musical taste.

The Wall - Heet Mob - Mark Henry

Hahaha,

"Hit the wall,
    i'll bust your ball,
    i'll make you fall,
    im gonna brawl
    sell stuff at a stall,
    you better be tall"

OK, so those arent the actual lyrics, but they may aswell be. Think of a Children's nursery rhyme, now get a bunch of rappers and *ZAM* you got yourself "The Wall". Character wise, Henry getting these themes is really just hurting him. Everytime i see the guy he has a new theme. Repetitive and annoying. Worth skipping.

In the Middle of It Now - Disciple - Curt Hawkins & Zack Ryder

Another generic rock song really. Why they got a band together for this is beyond me. Throw these guys The Gyimini's theme and it'd have a better effect. The theme is obnoxious and too tough to enjoy. Its heavy, but rough on the eardrums. A lot of screaming that isnt suited to it. Honestly, if i close my eyes, i can almost picture the credits from 'American Pie scrolling up. Its OK i suppose, if i had to be lenient with my feelings towards it. Just hits me as a load of random gibberish, and the same musical notes over, and over, and over. But because of the noisy rambling on of the singers, i cant enjoy the backing music.

Sliced Bread - Jillian Hall - Jillian Hall

When you're releasing a mass-produced cd, with the WWE logo on it, you know you absolutely can not sell the CD based on the name of WWE. Yes, many people will buy it purely due to the logo. But "many people" is not a realistic amount to make a profit off the CD. We get it, Jillian cant sing. She tries to sing. But she cant. An amazing gimmick, provided it never, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever leaves the confines of a 22' x 22' piece of steel and canvas.

But imagine the typical teenager going out to buy this.

He looks at the CD, big scratch logo of WWE, Thats a put off. OK, maybe he wont "judge the book by the cover". He checks the CD out, and wow.. its got a few decent artists on it. And this chick has huge tits. Hey, damn, thats a CD he'll be showing off to his friends. "Check it out guys, look what i got". But can you imagine the embarrassment and never-ending jokes he'll have to suffer through when this track comes on? And if he wants to listen to some of the other songs, he has to keep his eye on the track listing to make sure he isn't caught listening to chris crocker: the sequel.

This is just one reason why, when WWE want to do something outside of wrestling, they should lightly touch on it with wrestling, but not go too far. This was just a stupid mistake on their behalf. Ridiculous.

No Chance in Hell - Theory of a Deadman - Vince McMahon

Theory of a deadman destroy yet another WWE classic. OK, in itself, its OK, Not good, but most certainly not bad. However, when compared to the original McMahon theme, it doesnt have a leg to stand on. It honestly sounds like some drunk at a bar is just after busting out with a quick version of No Chance In Hell, and Jim Johnston just happened to be there to record it. After whipping out a sub-standard ''Deadly Game'' on Wreckless Intent, I actually thought they were being brought back to make an awesome song, that everyone would love, so maybe, just maybe, we could forgive them for their ''deadly game'' disaster. Instead, they rattle a load of instruments and half-heartedly sing Vince's theme. This is why WWE should not bring these guys back. ever.

Don't Question My Heart - Saliva, featuring Brent Smith - ECW Theme

The album's saving grace. This is the halfway mark, and it cheers you up. The instruments dont sound like a one man band on steroids. Instead, they're synchronised, crisp and in great rhythm. Saliva, whilst i dont know too much of their non-WWE work, always seem to give WWE 110%. Theyve done that right here. The song is awesome. Its got a catchy chorus and its something I wouldnt be ashamed to listen to in public. This is obviously the stand out of the set. There is nothing that comes close... Or... is there... well, actually....

Biscuits & Gravy - Jesse and Festus

I first heard this when i watched their titantron movie and heard a 30 second sample of the song. I hated it. It was so groany and whiny. Just seemed sleazy.

Well, i got this CD and i was dreading the thoughts of this crap coming on. I felt like putting Jillian on repeat, just so i wouldn't have to hear this.

When it came on, i dont know what the hell J.J. did, but this seems so rich and fresh. Its tightly played, its not the crap i heard. I dont know what happened, but this song got some serious souping up in production. After listening to it for a while, its the clear winner, and bet overall stand-out song on the CD in my opinion.

Its pretty much a short story of two nobody hicks. If WWE were to make a TV show based on two nobodies who lived the below average lifestyle, it would be a crime for this to not be the theme music.

"Biscuits and Gravy, Fit for a King
    Oh, Biscuits and Gravy, Simple and Clean,
    But you stepped on my Gravy,
    Now I gotta get mean"

Yes siree, I will be more than happy to humiliate myself doing "air-guitar" to this number!

What Love Is - Candice Michelle

If i said all black people are constantly equipped with guns, constantly steal things, live in the 'ghetto' and had gang wars, i'd be way off the track, right?

If i said all red-necks drove pickup trucks, were inbreds, had no teeth, and wore straw hats, i'd again, be way off.. right?

If i said all teenage girls are sex mad, clueless and over-reacted to everything, i'd be wrong. Right?

(well ok, that last one is a bad example..)

But thats what this is. Cue a siren, the same two second bass-beat over and over and over and over. Lyrics that are constantly 'skipping' and the same four or five words over and over, and what have you got?

a bad, very bad, stereotype of a dance/rave song.

Instead of reviewing it properly, i'll use this space to address something else.

If anyone here knows me in person, and ever sees me listening to this (even with a small pair of ear phones, in my own bedroom, in bed, hiding under the sheets, with my hands over my ears to block the noise from escaping), i give you my 100% full permission to shoot me dead. Its that bad.

Ain't No Make Believe - Stonefree Experience - John Morrison

A weird song, to say the least. It starts off.. well.. awesome. the opening chords of the song are the sh*t! but then, some country singer invades. I almost though i was suffering from cross frequencies. Surely WWE's next big thing doesnt have this song. It sounds like a child wrote it and good god, its just screeching in my ear. The song sounds like its crying. But hey, if i sounded like that, then I'd cry too.

Not a huge step away from "Paparazzi". Its good for what it is, but it needs to be replaced. Its just not something a main event calibre wrestler should be accompanied with.

Ain't No Stoppin' Me - Axel - Shelton Benjamin

Well its become apparent that the theme of this album is "Speed this song up and slow this one down".

Benjamin's theme is slowed down, and has some guy "rapping" into it. I really cant say more than that. Anyone familiar with his theme will get the jist. Its below average. The rapping is more-so someone just spouting out whatever it is that comes into his head at the time.

Turn Up the Trouble - Airbourne - Mr. Kennedy

Maybe I'm being a little harsh on this disc? I dont know. Everyone has their own taste. I despised that crappy dance-wannabe crap, but im sure someone out there is a hipping and a hopping to it. Kennedy's theme is one of those disaster songs that just grows on you. Yes. Its bad. But its so bad its actually good. It doesnt get anywhere next to near the greatness of the original (RAW's Greatest Hits: the Music) version. But it makes me feel happy. Dammit, I'm near laughter its that good!

I think the original plan was just to give kennedy a new theme without sound effects coming over the words "f*ck" and sh*t" etc. Not a bad attempt.

Break the Walls Down - James Grundler - Chris Jericho

Who's James Grundler and why is he pretty much re-releasing the Forceable Entry version of Jericho's theme?

OK. The song isn't that bad. Its listenable. It does have tendencies to sound like a racing car driving from ear to ear.. but whats Chris Jericho without a racing car?

Anyway, before i heard this song i hated it. Jericho had a perfectly good version of his theme when he returned that would have served a much better purpose and release than this. Honestly, im just about over the halfway mark of the song and i think im listening to CM Punks 'This Fire Burns' (Killswitch Engage).

I wish i was....

Well, overall.. Its not worth the price you're gonna pay at any retail store. Wait until it occupies the bargain bucket before purchasing.

Most songs seem to drone on and, honestly, most of them are so similar, a die hard fan like myself, cant even tell whose theme is whose.

Biscuits and Gravy and Saliva steal the CD. They are the two best songs from my standpoint. However, I have found that 'Dont Question My Heart' can feel very monotonous after a short while of revised listening.

Therefore.. the best grappling anthem of Vol 8 award goes to, Jesse and Festus.

Worth listening to. Im sure all of the songs have seen Youtube by now, (enabling the ability to listen to them for free, highly advisable before considering a purchase).

Definitely one of WWE's weaker attempts. I never thought i'd say this, but Bobby Lashley would have been great. Obviously he debuted a new theme before his departure (no doubt it was planned for the CD) and with such an awesome, killer theme, i may have liked this CD just a little bit more. Hell, the song is so good WWE themselves leaked it. How noble.

On a scale of ten, KKV Rates WWE The Music, Volume 8 with a big 'ol....

Weak attempt to get some merchandise on the shelf. I cn only hope the sales go really badly. Surely that will be an eye-opener for Johnston?

As possibly Johnstons number one fan... I must say.. I think he's getting to use to being in his current position. My advice to Johnston: Get Crackin' or get packin'!

This should not have been released!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,594 ✭✭✭Fozzy

I like Beth's and Jesse & Festus's, only heard the lads' music at the weekend. Kennedy's old music was much better. Haven't heard the ECW music at all. Does seem like a poor excuse to release an album though

Fozzy wrote: »
    I like Beth's and Jesse & Festus's, only heard the lads' music at the weekend. Kennedy's old music was much better. Haven't heard the ECW music at all. Does seem like a poor excuse to release an album though

It was only released (i believe) to get some extra merchandise on the shelf for WrestleMania season.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,785 ✭✭✭Kane-N-Nite

Good review.

Advertisement