Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

apple iWeb

Options
  • 26-03-2008 12:58am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭

I have just started putting together a small website with blog/podcast capabilities using iweb. I have no experience of web programming yet after a days work I feel I have put together a nice package, albeit without the magic of html/dreamweaver/css!

What I would like to know is how this programme has been received by the wider public and what do web programmers think about it? What pitfalls should I watch out for? Will it be difficult to get this online? Have I committed web design heresy by posting about this program in this forum?!

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,886 ✭✭✭cgarvey

It should be easy enough to get online, but Apple make it harder for you if you don't subscribe to their .Mac service. If you don't, you'll have to publish to a folder and manually FTP/transfer the files to your web host yourself.

Other cons are that the standard templates are very image-heavy, and don't share common assets very well (meaning slow download for a lot of visitors to your site). It doesn't handle multiple sites very well at all. It does, however, get the job done quickly, if you can match a template to your need!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭Pemba

Is there anyway I an improve the speed once I have it onto a web host?

Not without manually editing the HTML iWeb generates, with an editor external to iWeb. I.e. a lot of hassle!

cgarvey wrote: »
    Not without manually editing the HTML iWeb generates, with an editor external to iWeb. I.e. a lot of hassle!

Thanks Garvey...just discovered "Rapidweaver" A pretty impressive mac application. Any experience of it?:o

http://www.realmacsoftware.com/rapidweaver/

Nope, sorry. Not a bit WYSIWYG editor user at all, just have used iWeb to fire up a couple of sites in minutes. RapidWeaver looks impressive alright, dunno if those looks are deceiving. Google reviews and see what others are saying (or try the download). The general problem with such editors is the quality & complexity of the HTML they produce. How RapidWeaver fairs in that, I've no idea.

• Advertisement

Thats great cj, I'm just trying to put together this small project but I've no experience in code. I'll give rapidweaver a go and report back here.

Advertisement