Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Slightly unusual VRT/Reg questions

Options
  • 26-03-2008 2:00am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭

Two questions not generally covered that i can't find answers to.

If i was importing a car which had a different engine (i.e.bigger) in it than originally fitted which hadn't been recorded on the V5 what happens come VRT time? I can't see a difference in value of the car but VRT rates may be different and of course the engine number wouldn't match the V5.

Second question...how do you go about registering a racecar which has no chassis number or obviously book or anything at all?

Any ideas?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,800 ✭✭✭Senna

if i was in your situation, i'd just vrt the car as is, with the info on the V5, then apply to alter the engine code and size once the tax book as arrived.

if its a race car, why registrar it? if its not on the road, it doesn't have to be registered.
    if you do want to put it on the road, it maybe a nightmare of a job.
    To put a car through that has a chassis number but no documentation, its a real pain in the ass, involving a solicitors, the car markers main dealer and the DOE.
    so if it hasn't anything at all, it maybe impossible (???).

• Registered Users Posts: 18,990 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Chet T16 wrote: »
    Two questions not generally covered that i can't find answers to.

If i was importing a car which had a different engine (i.e.bigger) in it than originally fitted which hadn't been recorded on the V5 what happens come VRT time? I can't see a difference in value of the car but VRT rates may be different and of course the engine number wouldn't match the V5.

Second question...how do you go about registering a racecar which has no chassis number or obviously book or anything at all?

Any ideas?

Are you importing a race car or a normal road car? If it's a normal road car I'd walk away now, how do you know that the engine/car is legit if they haven't updated the V5?

Maybe contact some of the rally clubs and see how they go about it.
    Senna wrote: »
    if i was in your situation, i'd just vrt the car as is, with the info on the V5, then apply to alter the engine code and size once the tax book as arrived.

Don't do that. Giving false information is illegal and if caught you could be in trouble.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭Chet T16

Del2005 wrote: »
    Are you importing a race car or a normal road car? If it's a normal road car I'd walk away now, how do you know that the engine/car is legit if they haven't updated the V5?

Maybe contact some of the rally clubs and see how they go about it.

Its a normal car that has the different engine, i know the car and the owner, its just the car has never officially made it to the road so the V5 hasn't been updated. There wouldn't be a problem getting it changed i was just curious about what would happen if it wasn't changed before bringing it in

Chet T16 wrote: »
    Its a normal car that has the different engine, i know the car and the owner, its just the car has never officially made it to the road so the V5 hasn't been updated. There wouldn't be a problem getting it changed i was just curious about what would happen if it wasn't changed before bringing it in

Best would be to get it updated before bringing it in. If revenue do a proper inspection when paying the VRT it could cause issues.

Also your insurance here could be void if you VRT/Tax and drive it as the smaller engine while you know it has a bigger engine.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

Best would be to get it updated before bringing it in. If revenue do a proper inspection when paying the VRT it could cause issues.

Also your insurance here could be void if you VRT/Tax and drive it as the smaller engine while you know it has a bigger engine.

+1

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

well, unless the VRT office has bought a socket set, lift, measuring instruments, they won't be able to check anything.

Insurance is a completely separate manner - you can insure it as it's true capacity irrespective of what the Reg Cert says.........

Oh, and changing the details on teh car in the UK will no less onerous than here, involving getting the car inspected at local DVLA etc etc.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

What are you thinking about bringing in? I've thought about this before as I was looking at the elise Vtec engine transplant that you can get in the uk.

galwaytt wrote: »
    well, unless the VRT office has bought a socket set, lift, measuring instruments, they won't be able to check anything.

I'd say if they look at the V5 and check the engine number they could see something.
    Insurance is a completely separate manner - you can insure it as it's true capacity irrespective of what the Reg Cert says.........

Oh, and changing the details on teh car in the UK will no less onerous than here, involving getting the car inspected at local DVLA etc etc

Handy to know about the insurance.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,800 ✭✭✭Senna

as i said, just try and get it vrt'd, as is.
    depending on the age of the car (i dont think they do visual inspections on older cars) there's a good chance they wont notice and you can always claim ignorance. Your not going to get into any trouble.

The car i'm thinking of is a base spec 1.4 renault 19 which has had the 1.8 16v engine/box/suspension etc transplanted in. Even a 16v doesn't cost more than 315 to VRT so there'd be no case of paying less than i should. Tax would obviously be an issue

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 459 ✭✭nmacc

It is very unlikely that the VRT folks would notice the difference unless the engines are visibly very different. They often don't open the bonnet and I have never had an engine number checked. Of course some of the folks on the board may have had a different experience.....

Anyway, if cost is not an issue I'd stay strictly legal; it makes for peace of mind.

Anytime i've VRT'd a car they've looked under the bonnet

As it goes the V5 for my integrale had it listed as a 2 door saloon with a digit missing from the chassis number, apparantly quite coming with a car imported to the uk! They reg'd that no problem

I'm more concerned about the no chassis no. thing. I could get the car SVA'd in the uk and a chassis number assigned from the DVLA but thats major hassle.

Advertisement