Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Prince2 Certification Materials

Options
  • 26-03-2008 2:15am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,719 ✭✭✭

Does anyone know where you can get all the materials you need for doing this course for free.
    - books
    - videos
    - sample questions
    ect...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,931 ✭✭✭Ginger

For free, i doubt anywhere as any vendor cert they make their money on the materials and certifications...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,719 ✭✭✭cronos

Ginger wrote: »
    For free, i doubt anywhere as any vendor cert they make their money on the materials and certifications...

I was thinking that might be the case. Thought some one may have an idea though. I wouldnt be looking at it till the summer anyway. Just thought I would look.

The exam itself costs about 125GBP and I dont know if you can do it here without taking the course..

Normally with these sort of certs, they encourage you (read want you to spend money on) taking the course and then sitting the exam afterwards.

The exam itself costs about 125GBP and I dont know if you can do it here without taking the course..

Normally with these sort of certs, they encourage you (read want you to spend money on) taking the course and then sitting the exam afterwards.

Well I always like to get my hands on the materials for something before I take the course. As being a student I cant really afford to pay for a course then decide its not for me. Also I dont like braindumping by this i mean just learning what you need to in the course doing the exam and then forgetting it a couple of days later.

The course is not a braindump if thats what you are thinking. For the Prince2 certs most companies sell the training as part of the exam, ie you need to buy the course to be able to sit the exam with them.

If you want to go the self study route to do this you will have to find some place that will let you sit the exam..

Certification is expensive, I hate to break it to you. Most people get their companies to pay for it, where possible. For example MS exams are about 140 to 170 a pop.

• Advertisement

The course is not a braindump if thats what you are thinking. For the Prince2 certs most companies sell the training as part of the exam, ie you need to buy the course to be able to sit the exam with them.

If you want to go the self study route to do this you will have to find some place that will let you sit the exam..

Certification is expensive, I hate to break it to you. Most people get their companies to pay for it, where possible. For example MS exams are about 140 to 170 a pop.

I dont think its a brain dump at all but I do think I personally remember things better when I use a combination of selfstudy and a course environment.

I dont £125 is a lot of money for the exam. However I do think paying like a 1000 to do the 3 day course or something like that is a lot of money.

The exam on its own without a course is 125.. The course including the exam could be a grand.. But that is possibly the only way to do it..

Anyways from the website

Where can I sit the exams and how much are they?

Exams can be taken at any accredited training company or there are open exam centers in Milton Keynes, York and Winsford. These Exams run only on certain days and places are pretty much booked in advance, sometimes there is a 4-6 weeks waiting list. Bear this in mind when planning your training.

If you are based outside the UK and wish to complete a PRINCE2 exam, it is usually possible to sit them in a British Council office. Please contact the APM Group directly for more information on public exams.

You can Telephone: +44 (0)1494 452 450 to arrange the exam, email info@apmgroup.co.uk or visit the website www.prince2.org.uk
    Foundation = £190 including VAT
    Practitioner = £350 including VAT
    Both = £540 including VAT

Also from this site
    The interesting thing is that many companies offering authorized Prince2 courses refuses “just exam” option, even when it is not against the APM Group rules. If you are willing to take the self-learning path, probably you will need to use British Council. If it is not an option, contact APM Group directly and remember to choose the examination language ;)
    More about taking exams - here.

To get more info the following site
    PRINCE2 exams are either taken:

* as part of a PRINCE2 accredited training course through your PRINCE2 training provider,
    * at a British Council office arranged through the examination board (APMG).

Whichever option you choose, the PRINCE2 exams you sit will be the same in terms of style and structure.

When you are booking your PRINCE2 training course, check that your PRINCE2 examinations are included in the cost of the PRINCE2 course and that your invigilator has been officially approved by the examination board (APMG).

If you decide to sit the PRINCE2 exams at a British Council office you will need to contact the APMG themselves.

To check locations, availability and cost please email servicedesk@apmgroup.co.uk stating which country you are based in.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭Static M.e.

I'm a total believer In Self Study, in fact its what I do 99% of the time, but I would pay up for this course.

Ive seen the book from the course and it doesn't look too easy, I think its also a frame of mind that they teach you, not just some quick steps.
    (Granted I haven't taken the course but thats the opinion I was given). We have the Prince2 Process Model up on the wall here beside me and even its looks complicated...

Mind you, if you have done a project management course before it mightn't be so difficult

The OP is a college student, so I am wondering on the effectiveness of self study on Project management without real world experience.

The OP is a college student, so I am wondering on the effectiveness of self study on Project management without real world experience.

As far as I am aware the foundation exam wouldnt really require too much real world experience in project management.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,022 ✭✭✭NOGMaxpower

There's a company called Trigraph who operate in Dublin. They are funded by FAS and provide a massive discount on the course for students.
    http://www.trigraph.ie/trigraph/Main/Home.htm

I've completed the Prince 2 Foundation and Practitioner last year. The foundation is a very easy test while the Practitioner is an open book exam. Essentially for the foundation they do an overview of the Prince2 methodologies and place tons of page markers in the manual. Which makes paying for a 3 day course a waste of time and money. When you do the Practitioner it really does test your knowledge of Prince2 and the open book isn't as easy as it sounds (even with page markers).

If I were you I'd self study the latest Prince2 book for about a month. Pay for the foundation exam through Trigraph and see how you get on. They'll give you your score directly after the test. If you are in the 80-90% margin I'd say you could just sit the Practitioner exam yourself. Otherwise if you're 40-60% I'd save up and do the 3 day Practitioner course.

Oh btw Im qualified in both PMI and Prince2 methodologies and I would have to say Prince2 is a lot more practical than PMI/PMBOK.

Cheers
    M

• Registered Users Posts: 3 AnnNoirin

Hi, does anyone have the Prince2 2009 Manual to loan for a short period or for sale at a reduced cost? I am studying the Foundation and Practitioner and need the manual but can't afford the cost of purchasing it new!
    Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 6 littlebig

I got the Prince2 Foundation Training Manual for €20 from a company called mplaza (can't post the url as i'm a new user).

Advertisement