Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

polar patterns

Options
  • 26-03-2008 2:39am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 161 ✭✭

just a quick question, may not even make sense but sure here it goes...
    is it only condenser microphones that have changeable polar patterns?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,790 ✭✭✭PaulBrewer

You know I'd never thought about that before!
    Yes is the answer...

Condensers have 2 capsules and it's how they're charged and blended that gives them their directional characteristics......... as far as I recall.

I'm open to correction on this though!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭studiorat

Basically, yes. Condensor microphones which have adjustable polar patterns do so electronically, by blending the signal from two opposing diaphragms in various ways.
    Other condensor types, small diaphragm microphones for example use the physical design of the capsule and body to attain particular patterns, cardioid for example. It is possible to buy microphone sets with interchangeable capsules to use the various polar patterns.

Might also be good to point out that polar patterns change as a function of frequency.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,323 ✭✭✭Savman

Don't think I've ever seen a switchable dynamic :confused:
    But I'm sure there's at least one attempt out there by some obscure Chinese company or something.

Putting your hand around the back of the capsule of a SM-58 (hip hop stylee) turns it omni.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,323 ✭✭✭Savman

Squeal.

• Advertisement

An Acoustic Reach-Around if you will......

PaulBrewer wrote: »
    An Acoustic Reach-Around if you will......

Always the Gent...

When your out your out! Which well known engineer was comparing a C12 to a Brauner that he owned thought the C12 was very dull and lacking hi end?

The same lad who had the C12 facing the wrong way, that's who!

Phase cancel that!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,141 ✭✭✭eoin5

I used to think that both sides of a mic on a figure of eight setting would be very similar but its not the case either. I was messing around with a rode classic on the figure of eight setting and found a big difference between the sound of each side of the mic, the front sounded punchy whereas the back sounded a bit washed out in comparision.

eoin5 wrote: »
    I used to think that both sides of a mic on a figure of eight setting would be very similar but its not the case either. I was messing around with a rode classic on the figure of eight setting and found a big difference between the sound of each side of the mic, the front sounded punchy whereas the back sounded a bit washed out in comparision.

That's not much use then is it? They should both be the same, particularly for middle and side applications. I do find that hyper and figure 8 patterns are narrower though so it could still be useful.

• Advertisement
Advertisement