Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wireless multiroom audio

Options
  • 26-03-2008 3:12am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,595 ✭✭✭

Hi guys,

I've searched for and looked at a few threads on multiroom audio, but a lot of them are a couple of years old, and/or are about cabled set-ups.

I was looking for opinions on Sonos, or similar, used wirelessly, as I'm not in a position to do any much or any cabling.

Just to fill in the context: I have eircom broadband with a "netopia" wireless router, a desktop PC that's left on most of the time, and a 400 GB external hard-drive (almost empty, but not NAS.) My daughter uses i-tunes a lot; I don't, but have a substantial vinyl and cd collection. I've a decent 2-channel hi-fi seperates system in one room downstairs, a decent home-theatre system in another, and my PC and router are upstairs in a study. (A couple of other rooms have 1-box systems.) I'll probably rip the cd's once I get sorted, but transfering the vinyl is too time-consuming, so I'll just stick with listening to that in situ. I'll probably be getting more music by download too over the next while.

I've a couple of questions for people who've experience with sonos in particular:
    - Does one of the sonos devices have to be physically connected to the router? That is, given that I don't need any additional sound facilities in the study where the router is, can I just set up ZP80's downstairs, or do I have to put one in the study too (or a zonebridge?) Would such a wireless configuration, even if possible, give a poorer sound quality? (If I'm listening on my good kit, I won't be satisfied with highly compressed formats.)

- Can you play stuff from your i-tunes library? (Select and play it remotely with the controller, as opposed to running it on the PC and streaming it into an audio-in)?

- I've a completely self-contained fm radio thingie in the ceiling of the bathroom. Is there any convenient way of streaming to this too? (e.g., a little gadget like the ones you can use to get your mp3-player to send a short-range fm broadcast to your car-radio)?

Any advice would be appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,315 ✭✭✭Homer

Hi MathsManiac,

To answer your questions...

Normally the first zone (be it ZP80 or ZP100) needs to be hardwired to the router/PC. This all depends whether you require streaming internet radio or not?
    If you don't mind not having internet radio, (bear in mind Sonos has no FM radio) then you could buy a NAS (320Gb running around 200 euro currently) and the NAS is connected to the First zone player and the rest of the zones communicate wirelessly with it.
    The cheapest way around your problem of the router being in the office which will not be used a zone is to get a zonebridge @ 99euro as you mentioned! Sound quality will not be comprimised.
    Depending on how you rip your music to the PC will ultimately determine how it sounds on the system.
    I use itunes with Sonos and set the encoding to lossless to get as close to CD quality as possible.
    So that answers your itunes question!
    I presume the FM radio in the bathroom is the KB sound unit with two small satellite speakers that look like downlighters?
    In my opinion I wouldnt bother even trying to transmit to that... The FM transmitters have a range of a few metres at best so I would say there is not a convenient way to do what you want!
    Hope thats of some help!
    Just shout if you have any more questions!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,595 ✭✭✭MathsManiac

Thanks for that comprehemsive reply, answering all my questions.

I'm glad to hear that the i-tunes works ok - someone else had told me that the copy-protection would prevent the sonos system from accessing and playing it.

Yes, it's the KB unit I have. I guess I'll just stick to Lyric fm while shaving!

On further consideration, I've one other question:

Although I can't do any cabling in my walls, I can get access to ceilings in some upstairs rooms. Unfortunately, I've only access to a lighting circuit up there. Is it possible and safe to connect ZP100's into a lighting circuit to run a couple of ceiling speakers, or do they they need to be earthed? (I can't see any info on the power rating either in the online docs.) It would be a pain for me to run a proper radial circuit up there, but doable if absolutely necessary.

Thanks again for the help.

Hi MathsManiac,

With regards to iTunes, any of your own music you load onto itunes will work fine period.. They say there is an issue with DRM protected music purchased from the itunes store playing on Sonos but I have not had a problem with tracks I have downloaded?
    There are of course always ways around this if it becomes an issue.
    I am not an electrician and so would be hesitant to give you ANY advice on that regard but I do know the ZP100 needs to be earthed.
    Could the ZP100 be powered locally in the room upstairs and then just feed the speaker cable down into the ceiling space?
    You need ideally to have access to the ZP100 at any rate as if it needs to be updated or restarted then the procedure requires pressing a combination of buttons on the front of the ZP!
    It does not need to be on display and can be hidden but just have access just in case.

Cheers.

Industria

• Registered Users Posts: 1,595 ✭✭✭MathsManiac

How often is one likely to need access to it? If I do what I'm thinking now, it'll be in the attic, and I reckon now that I could run proper power up to it there after all through some conduit in a discreet corner of the study, and a CAT5 cable from the router, which will save me having to get a ZoneBridge. (I'd prefer this to doing a monstrously long run of speaker cable. It's also a better solution for me in the long run, since if it works out, I can do a second zone in a similar way once I have power up there.) In the attic it would be accessible by going out to the garage, getting a step-ladder, clambering up and crawling around up there: grand once in a blue moon, but I wouldn't want to be doing every few days.

Also, can you put more than one pair of speakers on a single ZP100? (so as to have two rooms as one zone and save a few bob?)

(Every time I think I have my answers, a new question occurs to me! Sorry! Feel free to ignore me when you get bored!)

Finally, (I hope!) any recomendations on good value ceiling-mounted speakers?

Hi MathsManiac,

You wouldn't need access to the zoneplayer on a regular basis, I just meant don't put it under floorboards where it would be hard work to get at the unit!
    Where you mention locating it sounds fine, is the temperature up there constant?

Yes you can put two pairs of speakers on a single zone player by wiring the speakers in parallel as opposed to in series. (see picture below)

speakerwire.jpg

Ceiling speakers vary in price from approx 150 euro per pair to over 500 euro per pair? Obviously there is a big difference the more you pay. So, if you are into your music then you don't buy the cheapest ones and decide yourself how much you are willing to pay per pair I guess!

Cheers,

Industria.

• Advertisement
Advertisement