Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

WIT to charge for parking

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭tiny-tyno

From what i am aware only limerick IT have pay for parking in place and it is 5€ a day

• Registered Users Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭christophicus

This has been discussed on the WIT Forum quite a bit as of late.

As far as I am aware you do not actually pay for parking. You just need a WIT card to get in. I would imagine the attendants will only be there for the first while untill people get used to it.

to enter into the college your card has to be updated to allow you access to the front car park, my lecturer was discussing this the other say and they said that when a woman in front of them swiped her card it took over 3e from it, i havnt tried to park there as of yet but i will have a go this week and let everyone know exactly what going on

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 Billy the Kid98

So you DO have to pay for it! Thats not good, people hate having to pay for something that was once free, like the bin charge for example.
    Its abit rich considering its surrounded by industrial estates who dont charge for their employees parking. But id imagine that like everything people will just get on with it.:D

Yeah your card does need to be updated, just as it did for the vending machines. I recon they will go around updating them next year the way they did earlier on this year.

Still don't think you have to pay though.

Heres the WIT forum thread.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055262162&page=2

• Advertisement

What i cant get is how they can justify spending so much money on this system when students cant even print off notes or have proper access to decent computing systems durning the day with out having to search the I.T building for free class rooms,,

it takes them years so solve one simple problem but when they want to take money off you they do it in a flash

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

You are not being charged for parking.

Topic Merged.

Why would the college spend so much money if they are not going to charge then i just cant see them not charging, if they are not going to charge now they may do in sept

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

tiny-tyno wrote: »
    Just want to know if anyone else out there thinks its a discrase that you now have to pay to park in the front car park in the college, from what is been said this will also come into affect in the back car park come september, it cost the college 25,000 euro to put in place the barriers in the front plus they hired two full time staff to mandate this.i believe that this is goin to cause major problems not only for the college but for the local residents around lismore park browns road area, it has already started but if the pay for parking continues god only knows what lismore park will become, i dont live in lismore park but i do feel sorry for the residents who will have to put up with this right out side there door.

if anyone has anything to say about this please leave posts :D

Whatever about the costs, the idea is to prevent non-WIT students parking in there. Its also to prevent cars parking illegaly. Your not being charged, its free to park in the front and back and there are no plans to bring it out in the back.

The system is monitored by the WIT Card office, the same staff that have always been present.

tiny-tyno wrote: »
    What i cant get is how they can justify spending so much money on this system when students cant even print off notes or have proper access to decent computing systems durning the day with out having to search the I.T building for free class rooms,,

The IT Building is mainly for lectures, and not to be used as an internet cafe. However, it is frustrating for those who need internet access and can not get a room - but alas, nothing anybody can really do about that. The library has some good PCs with more to come over the summer thank god.
    it takes them years so solve one simple problem but when they want to take money off you they do it in a flash

Can you provide other examples? There is no charge for WIT parking and afaik there are no plans to charge for it.

• Advertisement

I know this is OT, but it would be great if they set up network printers so that you could pront off of laptops and would not have to find a free IT room.

Not eveyone has printers at home and as it is a college printing off assisments , notes from wct ect can only be done with a printer and by logging into the computers in the college then having a proper computer is critical, even in the thesis room i was trying to print off some things and wen i went to the printer it was down , therefore im stucj not being able to take the information i need out of the room hence having to leave it behind, then inform the shop that its broken come back later to see if it is back up again, time wasting annoying and also being in 4th year time is precious and having this like this maybe it may seem small to others causes a disruption.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,252 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

merlante wrote: »
    What is the practice at other colleges?
    UCC - have a similar barrier system in place - but it is only staff allowed into this car park, no students. There is a small security hut near the barrier so they can see when the bus is coming and raise the barrier, it is the same for deliveries, but no deliveries are allowed during rush hours, ie 8.30-9.30, 12.30-2.30 and 4.30-6.00 or something like that

There is a seperate visitors car park which some students can park in, think it costs around 1€ per hour. Apart from that students have to find a space on surrounding streets which are all disc parking. A lot of students end up spending €30 or more a week on parking.

I'd consider yourselves lucky

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭junkster12345

the bank parking is ridiculous, about 10 spaces for an extremely busy bank,

Advertisement