Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Book price

Options
  • 26-03-2008 10:15am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 101 ✭✭

Hi, Does anybody know where i could find out the book price on a 04 Megane Saloon Dynamique model 04 reg, mine may be written off after it was hit outisde my house and I only got it last month so I want to make sure that the insurance is not trying to put one over me.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,035 ✭✭✭✭-Chris-

Call some Renault dealers, see what they'll tell you or see what they have them on the forecourt for.

Alternatively call your salesperson, as you bought from them last time and they'll want you to buy again, they'll probably help you anyway they can.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,712 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

What did you pay for it, and what are they offering you?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

Is the book price what a dealer would give you as a trade in, rather than the going price?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,035 ✭✭✭✭-Chris-

The book price is a guide price for dealers to use when working out what the car is worth in the trade. It's worked out by a company who monitor second-hand values across Ireland.

It's based on a specific mileage and average condition. You need to do your own re-calculation of the price if the car is over/under mileage, has different spec, is anything other than average condition etc.

Book price is a starting point, but I think, for negotiation with an insurance company, you'd want forecourt/replacement prices instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

That's what I was getting at - the book price is generally less than what it would actually cost to replace the car.

• Advertisement
Advertisement