Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

New Corolla

Options
  • 26-03-2008 10:25am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,970 ✭✭✭

I'm looking for opinions on the price to change from a 05 Corolla saloon 1.4 petrol with 45000klms to a new corolla. Both cars terra spec

Thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,712 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Ask a few dealers?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,970 ✭✭✭Paulzx

Thanks. Never thought of that:rolleyes:

Nothing wrong with getting opinions here either. Thought that was the whole point of a forum

• Registered Users Posts: 2,423 ✭✭✭pburns

Paulzx wrote: »
    Thanks. Never thought of that:rolleyes:

Nothing wrong with getting opinions here either. Thought that was the whole point of a forum

You're not looking for opinions - you're looking for quotes. Therefore Henry's comment is valid. We're not an encylopedia of used Toyota (or even new) prices (apart from Colm who sells the things).

Here's an opinion: Surely there are better uses for 20grand +???? An 80 year old relative has one on order but anyone under 79-and-a-half who's been taking their vitimins should surly be aiming a bit higher?

• Registered Users Posts: 73,455 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Corolla has top safety, very good residuals and excellent reliability.
    This does it for a lot of people.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭E92

Wait till July and get the diesel if you absolutely MUST have a Corolla. It will only be a small bit dearer than the petrol but will offer superior residuals, and low road tax cause of the better CO2 emissions. For more info, click the link in my sig. There are educated guesses on the prices for all cars there from July.

There are far superior cars out there though, Focus, Astra, Civic, Mazda3, and the Civic and Mazda are bound to be even more reliable than the Toyota being Japanese and not in the middle of a massive cutting corners sorry I mean costs programme(which Toyota are). Even if you only view cars as a device for moving people the Civic or the Mazda would be a better bet(no one can argue with Hondas reputation for reliability).

Toyotas have been slipping down the reliability surveys in recent times.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,685 ✭✭✭✭R.O.R

I'll take a punt on this.

Based on book value and the new car price you should be looking at around €10,000 to change.

I'm sure Colm would tell me if I'm way off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,064 ✭✭✭Gurgle

Paulzx wrote: »
    I'm looking for opinions on the price to change from a 05 Corolla saloon 1.4 petrol with 45000klms to a new corolla. Both cars terra spec

You haven't given a price to have an opinion on.
    But, imo, its a terrible cost and not worth it.

Why bother?

You've had the '05 from new?

You do very low mileage, and you've barely kept the car through its fastest depreciating years.

Are you that insecure that you need to have the same car with 08 on the plate instead of 05?

• Registered Users Posts: 51,243 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Trading up 3 years to a new one, your bound to be looking at around €11k ish imo.

I was looking at 05 Corollas yesterday for someone and they were all going for around 14-16k depending on which Toyota garage you go to in the same engine and spec as the OP. I know that a diesel Corolla should be around €21,790 in July(the petrol will only be €600 cheaper at that stage, but you'll be shelling out a minimum of €280 extra a year to run one because the diesel is a much cheaper car to tax), so I'd be hoping to pay €6-8k after haggling with the dealer for a new diesel Terra Corolla.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,250 ✭✭✭Scottie99

Is there an online valuation website for Ireland?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,015 ✭✭✭Wossack

Scottie99 wrote: »
    Is there an online valuation website for Ireland?

Seen the VRT calculator used for this purpose in the past.. dunno if its any use mind

link

• Registered Users Posts: 1,970 ✭✭✭Paulzx

pburns wrote: »
    You're not looking for opinions - you're looking for quotes.

If i was looking for quotes i would of used the word "quote". I seem to remember i used the word opinion. Don't try and put words in my mouth.

Thanks to everyone who replied and tried to help. Did the rounds of dealers yesterday and price to change varied from 7800euro to 9500 euro and everything in between.

Diesel was mentioned here and i enquired about it. The feeling i got was that the figures in the July vrt sticky might not be fully passed on. Most dealers seemed to say that the diesel will reduce by about 1000euro and not the 1800 euro reduction on the sticky. They will also be thin on the ground

I'd still be going for the diesel though. You'll pay more when you buy it new but you'll get more for it when you want to shift it on in a few years time. Especially low mileage diesels, these are very desirable in the used car market.

Order now though, so as to get delivery in July, I know that there are still supply issues with the Corolla, though I know from Toyota's own website there is a complete oversupply of petrol Avensis and Auris, because you wouldn't be putting out ads like this if you didn't have an oversupply of cars. I'd nearly say they have the same problem with the petrol Corolla too.

You'll also be getting superior fuel economy and lower road tax as well, so they'll be a much cheaper car to run than a petrol one, in addition to providing a lot more torque, making them feel a lot faster in the real world than the equivalent petrol model. The current Corolla is a lot heavier than the old one(believe it or not, the old shape Avensis was a smaller car, and the current Avensis is believe it or not lighter than the current Corolla), so the 1.4 petrol will be heavier on fuel as well as a lot slower than your current car(the engine is identical in both).

• Registered Users Posts: 51,243 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

I doubt that you will get the same trade-in value on your 05 come July as you are getting now so will you actually be saving anything by waiting? Diesels will be in greater demand so dealers will probably be fussy with trade-in values.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,492 ✭✭✭RosieJoe

pburns wrote: »
    You're not looking for opinions - you're looking for quotes.

If i was looking for quotes i would of used the word "quote". I seem to remember i used the word opinion. Don't try and put words in my mouth.

You asked for an opinion on price to trade up, is this not the same as asking for a quote? It is in most peoples eyes!

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,712 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Precisely RosieJoe. You can give an opinion based on actual figures, but the OP asked for a price.

Advertisement