Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Renting a car having just passed driving test

Options
  • 26-03-2008 10:40am
    Registered Users Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭

Does anyone know of any rental companies that will rent a car to you if you've had your full license less than 1 year?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,015 ✭✭✭Wossack

may depend on your age...

under 25's (iirc) needed to have held their license for at least 2 years in most of the places I checked with (years ago mind)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭ballooba

I've never been asked how long I've had my licence. Haven't had licence two years yet but have rented lots of times.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

I'm 27.

ballooba wrote: »
    I've never been asked how long I've had my licence. Haven't had licence two years yet but have rented lots of times.

Hmm i'd be afraid to risk it, you know what rental companies are like - if you had an accident in their car their insurance probably wouldn't cover it and you'd have to pay for the damage.

If it says you have to have a full license at least 2 years in the terms and conditions which they assume you have read, you wouldn't have a leg to stand on :-/

• Registered Users Posts: 7,015 ✭✭✭Wossack

I think if you're up front with them it shouldnt be an issue.. there may be a higher rate for higher risk renters, if thats any comfort? :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭jhegarty

eth0_ wrote: »
    I'm 27.

next question would be how they know that its not a 10 year license you got at 17 and just renewed ....

I am still on my first full license, are future licenses marked with a number or that they are a renewal ?

jhegarty wrote: »
    next question would be how they know that its not a 10 year license you got at 17 and just renewed ....

I am still on my first full license, are future licenses marked with a number or that they are a renewal ?

Well they don't seem to care if you got your license X years ago and haven't driven since.

Haven't received my full license yet so I can't see if there is a start date on it...I assume there is?

• Registered Users Posts: 450 ✭✭krinpit

Yes, there's a "From" date on my license under vehicle category. There's also an issue date.

You should have no problem hiring a car. I rented one from Enterprise a few years ago and I had just passed my driving test. I think there was an under-25's suppliment, but nothing related to how long I had my license.

krinpit wrote: »
    Yes, there's a "From" date on my license under vehicle category. There's also an issue date.

You should have no problem hiring a car. I rented one from Enterprise a few years ago and I had just passed my driving test. I think there was an under-25's suppliment, but nothing related to how long I had my license.

Sweet, thanks :-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 999 ✭✭✭Noelie

I rented a car in the US after only passing my test a month before hand, I'm over 25. so in the US it doesn't seem to be a problem, it was with enterprise.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭philcsl

I'm 25 and just have my full licence a couple of months. I rented a car in Germany with Hertz last week, they just took a copy of passport and licence, never asked how long I had it.

Their T&Cs do state that you have to have your licence for at least one year, you could get around this by saying that it is the renewal date and they have no way of checking this. I'd imagine you would be screwed if you needed to make a claim as the insurace might not cover you but I took the chance.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,062 ✭✭✭afatbollix

if you have your own insurance enterprise will give you a car...

Advertisement