Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Westside for skinny backstards III

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,021 ✭✭✭Al_Fernz

Day 40 16/5/2008

Max Rep Upper:

DB Bench: 28kg DBs x15, x14, x12, x12
    Lat Pull Down/ Seated DB power clean SS: L14/20lb DBs 4x(x10/x12)
    DB MP: 45lbs x10, x10, x 8, x10
    BB Shrug/BB Curl SS: 100kg/40kg 4x 12/12

Improvements all round.

Day 41: 17/5/08

ME Lower:

Deadlift
    60kg x5
    80kg x5
    100kg x3
    110kg x3
    120kg x3
    130kg 4x3

Front Squats
    60kg 4x12

Hyperextensions
    15kg 4x15

DeFranco Ab circuit x3

Hanging Leg Raises
    4x15

Took it handy on the Deadlifts, and didn't go past 130. My aim is to try and get 150kgx1 in 4 weeks.

Front squats I was just really trying to get my hand position and form right. The weight will follow.

A much easier session than when I was squatting. However, I did some pretty intense stretching after. I've just started getting back into the whole stretching shizzle in the last few days.

For the last 2 months my legs have been incredibly stiff. This was cured last Wednesday night when my coach really pushed me stretching. I'd really neglected this part of my training in the last while, but it feels great to start doing it again properly.

Almost got down to full splits after this session.

• Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭Arsenal1986

if u ngot 130 4 x 4 then 150 x 1 is there already man easy

• Registered Users Posts: 2,411 ✭✭✭SUNGOD

Al_Fernz wrote: »
    Day 39: 14/5/2008

Nailed this guy in the head with a kick in the head sparring. It felt very, very good. Does this make me evil?:pac:

yes , yes it does

im jealous:D

Day 42 : 19/5/2008

Kickboxing: 2 hours

I was a bit worried about my back after deadlifting. It was really stiff after Saturday. I hadn't really deadlifted that heavy before so I'm hoping it was just a vicious case of DOMS. I know my form was decent because somebody with good lifting experience and whose opinion I trust commented that it was good.

Anywho, training went very well. Kicking was sharp. All the extra stretches I am doing and deadlifts really help. Back stiffness went after warm up.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,981 ✭✭✭✭Hanley

if u ngot 130 4 x 3 then 150 x 1 is there already man easy

Agreed.

I know with the guys in Hercs, 20kg over their best triple is usually a good indicator (BEST triple, not a 4x3). I guess you'd pull 140x3 if you really pushed it. So go looking for 155-160, imo.

Day 43: 20/5/2008
    ME Upper:

Incline Bench Press:
    Bar x12,
    50kg x5,
    60kg x5,
    70kg x3,
    75kg x3,
    80kg x3,
    82.5kg x0 (3 spotted reps)

wide grip pull up
    BW x16, x16

Bent over row/bent over rear delt flye
    60kg/20lb 4x12

BB Curl
    40kg 4x12

BB Shrug
    110kg 4x8

Bad session. I got caught in a meeting so I got to the gym an hour and a half later than I usually do. Lack of food and trying to rush through my sets effected my strength. Missed the 82.5kg but the 80kg x3 went up easy enough. I don't enjoy the gym when I'm rushed.

Day 44 : 21/5/2008

Kickboxing: 1 hour 45 minutes

Very good session. Nipped out 15 minutes early so that I caught the Apprentice/the match. Very happy with my sparring.

Day 45: 23/5/2008

Max Rep Upper:

DB Bench: 28kg DBs x15, x11, x15, x12
    Lat Pull Down/ Seated DB power clean SS: L14/20lb DBs 4x(x12/x12)
    BB Military Press: 50kgs x8, x7, x 7, x7
    BB Shrug/BB Curl SS: 100kg/40kg 4x 10/12

Subbed in Barbell military press. Its not in the WS4SB template but I'd say its an acceptable sub for the DB military.

Staying in tonight in anticipation of ME lower tomorrow. Bring on the deadlifts.

Day 46: 24/5/08

ME Lower:

Deadlift
    60kg x5
    100kg x5
    110kg x3
    120kg x3
    130kg x3
    140kg x3
    150kg x3

Stiff Leg DL
    60kg 3x20

Front Squats
    60kg 2x12
    70kg 2x8

Hyperextensions
    15kg 4x15

DeFranco Ab circuit x3

Hanging Leg Raises
    4x15

Solid DLs. 150x 3 wasn't too hard. Last rep took a few extra seconds to lock out though.

I would say that my back will be stiff tomorrow.

I was fooked tired for the rest of the session atfer the DLs.

• Advertisement

Day 47: 26/5/2008

Kickboxing - 2 hours

Handy session with decent sparring. The back wasn't nearly as stiff as last week with the deadlifts.

Day 48: 27/5/2008

ME Upper:

Incline Bench Press:
    Bar x12,
    50kg x5,
    60kg x5,
    70kg x3,
    75kg x3,
    80kg x3,....Spotter had to touch bar on last rep - too pissed off to go up again

wide grip pull up
    BW x17, x15

Bent over row/bent over rear delt flye
    60kg/20lb 4x12

BB Shrug
    100kg 4x12

BB Curl
    40kg 4x12

Not happening. My hip was wrecked from last night when some a$$ clown kicked me. It didn't hurt at the time but it was just killing me today.

I didn't warm-up properly. After that the session was just poor. TBH I think I need a change from WS4SB. I'm looking at doing a 3 day back/bi, chest/tri, legs/shoulders split and doing 5x5's on Deadlifts, Bench and Squats. Its all a work in progress ATM, but I hope that I'm starting something new by this time next week.

Day 49: 28/5/2008

Kickboxing - 1hr 45mins

Feet were a bit sore from Monday night. Warm-up and padwork went well. Did some hand-sparring which went OK too.

Day 50 29/5/2008

Max Rep Upper:

DB Bench: 28kg DBs x15, x15, x9 (WTF?), x14 (its all bisto baby)
    Lat Pull Down/ Seated DB power clean SS: L14/20lb DBs 4x(x12/x12)
    BB MP: 50kg x8, x8, x 8, x7
    BB Shrug/BB Curl SS: 100kg/40kg 4x 12/12

Easy stuff.

Day 51: 30/5/08

ME Lower:

Deadlift
    60kg x8
    100kg x5
    120kg x3
    130kg x3
    140kg x3
    150kg x1
    160kg x Failed like Samantha Mumba's comeback

Stiff Leg DL
    60kg 3x20

Squats
    60kg 2x 12
    80kg 2x 12

Hyperextensions
    15kg 4x15

Hanging Leg Raises
    3x15

De Franco Ab Circuit x3

Missed the 160 Deadlift. The bar just wouldn't move for me. Going away from it I think I should have went for it again barefoot. I wear Stan Smiths which have a gargantuan sole. That few extra mm's could have made a lot of difference.

After that the session was grand apart from my boxers ripping on the second set of squats.

Had some strawberry RAM X PWO. The stuff is dia-fooking-bolical. I can't believe I have to get through 2 tubs of the shiite. I can imagine that rancid cat pi$$ tastes something similar to this. A warning to everybody - do not get this flavour (unless of course you have a penchant for rancid cat pi$$).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,234 ✭✭✭Malteaser!

Had some strawberry RAM X PWO. The stuff is dia-fooking-bolical. I can't believe I have to get through 2 tubs of the shiite. I can imagine that rancid cat pi$$ tastes something similar to this. A warning to everybody - do not get this flavour (unless of course you have a penchant for rancid cat pi$$).

LOL, too true!!!

Reckon where ever you bought it would exchange the unopened tub for a different flavour??

Westside for Skinny Backstards 3

Well its been around 9 weeks since I started the program and I think its time for me to start on a new rountine. I'm going to try a split thats more focused on hypertrophy because summer is here and people really need to get shown where the beach is!

Conclusion.

I highly, highly recommend the routine. I still am a novice when it comes to lifting so it took me a while to work out my exercise selection and rep scheme. However, when I got these sorted I was able to make progress. How much of it was genuine strength gain? I'm not too sure. Perhaps I was able to improve my lifts based on following the proper ME system rather than raw strength gain. TBH I don't care. I was lifting bigger weights than I've ever lifted and that felt savage.

On the physique side of things I've let my tracking of progress slide. I keep meaning to weigh myself but I always seem to forget. I'd guesstimate that I've put on about 2 kilos and I'm still looking very lean. For the first time in my life I can see what traps are! The heavy shrugs and seated DB powercleans have definitely been effective in this area. I have definitely been happy with the results in this area too.

Some other more general conclusions are:

1. The concept of "overtraining" amongst average lifters is b0llox. I remember being burn out during a week of consecutively tough sessions. I started thinking to myself "oh your CNS is fooked - you're overtraining." Looking at the symtoms of overtraining I was nearly convinced that the dreaded condition had gotten me. I rested for a night, ate well and went to bed early. The next day I woke up feeling great. It dawned on me that not eating enough and sleeping enough can create what would appear to be paralell symtoms to "overtraining". Lesson learned.

2. You don't have to go to failure in every set. When I started the program I was a headless chicken. Load the bar up and lift till you fail was my motto! Then I realised that you don't need to go to failure in every set leading up to the 3 rep max on ME days. The world does not spontaneously combust if you finish a set easily.

3. Barbell lunges = DOMS. Everytime I do them the next day I am crippled. Good exercise but not if you have to walk the next day.

4. Its OK to fcuk up. Missing a session, not getting the reps for the weight you wanted, making errors interpretting the system, drinking beer etc. are not going to kill you and will not effect your progress if you recognise them and rectify. Just get it right the next time. You can't change the past, so there's no need to beat yourself up.

5. If you want you improve your kicks for MA do deadlifts. Its all in the hips.

6. Strawberry RAM is like having a liquid holocaust in your mouth.

7. Change ME lifts. You will not make gains forever and when your progress stalls its time to change exercises up before you regress. I learned this the hard way. If I was to do the routine I would change my ME lifts every 2 weeks fo sho.

8. Did I mention that I don't like strawberry RAM?

Well thats all I can really think of for know. I'm heading away for a few days and will figure out some new routine when I get back. Thanks to anybody who left advice/encouragement on the log. I really appreciated it. I'd like to think that a few people have learned something from this journal - I know I have!

Malteaser! wrote: »
    LOL, too true!!!

Reckon where ever you bought it would exchange the unopened tub for a different flavour??

I bought online so it would be a lot of hassle to return them. I'm well pi$$ed off that I bought them and 2 tubs of big whey before the supplement factory opened.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,234 ✭✭✭Malteaser!

That's a really nice, well thought conclusion. You've learned a whole load of lessons that take a lot of people years to learn, so good on you!! Also, well done for sticking with it - I really do like hearing success stories like this!!

Are you gonna keep up the log when you come back??

Malteaser! wrote: »
    That's a really nice, well thought conclusion. You've learned a whole load of lessons that take a lot of people years to learn, so good on you!! Also, well done for sticking with it - I really do like hearing success stories like this!!

Are you gonna keep up the log when you come back??

Cheers!

Sequels are never as good! However, I understand that there is a high demand for stories of my wacky training adventures.

Seriously though I think I'll have to. Firstly, I'm going to be on boards anyways. Secondly, people more experienced than you will point out your mistakes or make suggestions that will help you. And lastly, showing what training you do and what numbers you're lifting motivates me. It probably sounds sad - but I find knowing that you're going to post your numbers later gives you a little bit extra, makes you pull that last rep out of the bag etc. Do it for boards!:D

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,981 ✭✭✭✭Hanley

I highly, highly recommend the routine. I still am a novice when it comes to lifting so it took me a while to work out my exercise selection and rep scheme. However, when I got these sorted I was able to make progress. How much of it was genuine strength gain? I'm not too sure. Perhaps I was able to improve my lifts based on following the proper ME system rather than raw strength gain. TBH I don't care. I was lifting bigger weights than I've ever lifted and that felt savage.

That's the important thing after all eh??

On the physique side of things I've let my tracking of progress slide. I keep meaning to weigh myself but I always seem to forget. I'd guesstimate that I've put on about 2 kilos and I'm still looking very lean. For the first time in my life I can see what traps are! The heavy shrugs and seated DB powercleans have definitely been effective in this area. I have definitely been happy with the results in this area too.

When it comes to size gains with the conjugate template, the assitance work is where it's at. Change it up so it's more focused on hypertrophy, or add in an extra day to work on two weak points of your chosing (that's what I did and it's been working well!)
    Some other more general conclusions are:

1. The concept of "overtraining" amongst average lifters is b0llox. I remember being burn out during a week of consecutively tough sessions. I started thinking to myself "oh your CNS is fooked - you're overtraining." Looking at the symtoms of overtraining I was nearly convinced that the dreaded condition had gotten me. I rested for a night, ate well and went to bed early. The next day I woke up feeling great. It dawned on me that not eating enough and sleeping enough can create what would appear to be paralell symtoms to "overtraining". Lesson learned.

Troof. The amount of people I hear complain about it p!sses me right off. If I can train 2x a day once or twice a week and survive, I've no pity for anyone else

2. You don't have to go to failure in every set. When I started the program I was a headless chicken. Load the bar up and lift till you fail was my motto! Then I realised that you don't need to go to failure in every set leading up to the 3 rep max on ME days. The world does not spontaneously combust if you finish a set easily.
    Hahaha good call. If you're consistently missing reps in the gym it is not a good thing. I would go so far as to say you should (almost) NEVER miss reps during training. It's really not good. Buuuuut you gotta take a chance every now and again I suppose.
    4. Its OK to fcuk up. Missing a session, not getting the reps for the weight you wanted, making errors interpretting the system, drinking beer etc. are not going to kill you and will not effect your progress if you recognise them and rectify. Just get it right the next time. You can't change the past, so there's no need to beat yourself up.

So true... I remember 3 or 4 years ago when I first started training I wouldn't go to ****** because I couldn't "afford" the weekend off training and eating. I look back on that with embarasment now tbh.
    6. Strawberry RAM is like having a liquid holocaust in your mouth.

8. Did I mention that I don't like strawberry RAM?

Haha true story, I'm really not a fan either. If you can get some orange lucozade powder, add it to one scoop of RAM and a scoop of strawberry protein if you have it, it tastes pretty awesome.
    7. Change ME lifts. You will not make gains forever and when your progress stalls its time to change exercises up before you regress. I learned this the hard way. If I was to do the routine I would change my ME lifts every 2 weeks fo sho.

Again, good call. If you've stalled out on a lift it's already too late. I really like the max triple in week one and max single in week two that I've been doing.

Well thats all I can really think of for know. I'm heading away for a few days and will figure out some new routine when I get back. Thanks to anybody who left advice/encouragement on the log. I really appreciated it. I'd like to think that a few people have learned something from this journal - I know I have!

It's been a good log. You should definately keep it up when you get back. Enjoy the holiday!

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭BossArky

Nice summary Al. You're right about the lunges and DOMS.

Have a good holiday & looking forward to the next installment!

I've decided to do a 3 day split. Today was Back and Biceps.

Deadlift
    60kg 1x8
    100kg 1x5
    120kg 5x5

Weighted Pull-up
    10kgs 4x8

Seated Row
    L10 1x12
    L14 1x8
    L15 1x8
    L16 3x8

EZ Bar curl
    30kg 1x12
    40kg 3x12

Reverse Curl
    30kg 1x8, 3x12

Weight needs to go up on all exercises for next week. Good workout. It will be interesting to see if I get some decent hypertrophy from this.

I planning to do chest and tris on Thursday or Friday and legs and shoulders on Saturday.

Easy enough session but these should definitely get harder as time goes on and I add weight to the bar.

4/6/2008

Kickboxing - 2 hours

5/6/2008

Chest and Tris

BB Bench Press
    bar 1x8
    60kg 1x5
    70kg 5x5

Incline Bench
    60kg 4x10

DB Fly
    22kg 4x12

Close Grip Bench Press
    50kg 4x10

Tricep Kickbacks
    25lbs 4x12

Cable pull-down
    Full stack 4x12

Easy workout. Will be upping the weights next week.

7/6/2008

Legs and shoulders

Squats
    Bar 1x8
    60kg 1x5
    93kg 5x5

Military Press
    50kg 4x8

Stiff leg DLs
    80kg 4x12

DB Lateral Raises
    20lbs 4x12

Reverse Lunge
    60kg 3x8

Hanging leg raise
    4x15

Seated Calf-Raise/Hyperextension SS
    35kg/15kg 3x20/15

Easy

9/6/2008

Cycling 20km

No kickboxing tonight. I thought I'd use my energy some other way and I cycled into work. I've become quite enviromental and although it won't really make any real difference at least it's something. Also I got to enjoy the nice weather. Captain Planet would be proud.

Back and Biceps.

Deadlift
    60kg 1x8
    100kg 1x5
    120kg 1x3
    125kg 5x5

Weighted Pull-up
    11.25kgs 2x8, 1x7, 1x8

Seated Row
    L10 1x12
    L14 1x8
    L16 4x8

BB curl
    40kg 4x12

Reverse Curl
    30kg 3x12

Shrugs
    100kg 2x12
    140kg 2x8

Deadlifts were handy enough. Gonna shoot for 130kg x5 the next time. Should be easy enough. Pull-ups need work - but I think I'll throw on some more weight for these bad boys next week. Ripped my hands to bits doing the last set of heavy shrugs.

Kickboxing 2 hours

Bad session. Didn't get going at all. Not surprising really because I've only been twice in the last 2 weeks.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,032 ✭✭✭dave80

Deadlift
    125kg 5x5

Shrugs
    140kg 2x8

Suprising that you shrug more than you deadlift, i deadlift a good 50kg more than i shrug, do you use straps on your shrugs?

Advertisement