Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Westside for skinny backstards III

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,021 ✭✭✭Al_Fernz

BossArky wrote: »
    Agh ok - don't worry, you'll be sub 70kg by xmas :D

No way man. Being heavy is cool. I'm never cold, I have way more energy, I never get DOMS, I sleep better and I lift heavier weights. In general I feel great.:cool:

Dear log,

Tonight I kickboxed for two hours. T'was fun.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,981 ✭✭✭✭Hanley

Al_Fernz wrote: »
    No way man. Being heavy is cool. I'm never cold, I have way more energy, I never get DOMS, I sleep better and I lift heavier weights. In general I feel great.:cool:

Everything I love about being heavy too. Be careful tho, it can become addictive!

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭BossArky

I'm just messing with you Al :pac:

The reason I asked about your weight is because your lifts seem to be flying up pretty fast. I'd like to try something similar (eating tonnes) but have a fear of turning into a lard-ass dough-nut. Whenever the scales go past 75kg I start upping the cardio.

Good work. Cool to have 3 plates+ on either side of the 5x5 deadlift.

BossArky wrote: »
    I'm just messing with you Al :pac:

The reason I asked about your weight is because your lifts seem to be flying up pretty fast. I'd like to try something similar (eating tonnes) but have a fear of turning into a lard-ass dough-nut. Whenever the scales go past 75kg I start upping the cardio.

Good work. Cool to have 3 plates+ on either side of the 5x5 deadlift.

If your weight and lifts are going up and your belly doesn't wobble then its all good as far as I'm concerned. You should give it a shot and see how it works out if that fits into your goals.

Tonight:

Bench:
    Bar 1x8
    60kg 1x5
    75kg 1x5
    82.5kg 5x5

Military Press:
    53kg 3x8, 1x7

Incline Bench
    60kg 1x10, 1x8, 2x6

Lateral Raises - Strict form
    20lbs 4x12

Close Grip Bench
    50kgs 4x12

Tricep pushdown
    Full stack 4x12

Close arm pushups
    3x10

Every time I up my bench my incline gets worse. A hella lot worse. Going to take tomorrow and Saturday off and try and get a session in on Sunday. Bring on Halloween!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,602 ✭✭✭celestial

If your weight and lifts are going up and your belly doesn't wobble then its all good as far as I'm concerned. You should give it a shot and see how it works out if that fits into your goals.

+2! Heavy with lowish bodyfat for your weight ftw!! I love the look when people ask you what weight you are....I'm 13ish stone.....cue puzzled, vaguely amazed look:D

celestial wrote: »
    +2! Heavy with lowish bodyfat for your weight ftw!! I love the look when people ask you what weight you are....I'm 13ish stone.....cue puzzled, vaguely amazed look:D

Yo dude, how are things going? you must be making some decent progress yourself?:)

• Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭Arsenal1986

i wouldnt worry too much bout the incline going own mate its boun to be a lesser weight after all the sets of benching an military pressing u i b4 it....ur pressing muscles woul be fatigue out by that stage

Squat
    bar x8
    60kg x5
    90kg x5
    100kg x3
    110kg 5x5...handy enough.

Leg Press
    Plate 8 x12
    Plate 11 2x10, 1x12

Stiff leg deadlift
    60kg 1x12
    100kg 4x12

Seated Calf raise
    55kg 3x15

Reverse hyper
    +15kg 3x20

leg raises
    3x15

Stretching 10mins

Today was one of those really tough sessions that really takes it out of you. I was still wrecked from to much drink and fun on Friday night. The warmup on a bike was fairly horrible. I had that really warm sweat coming off me and my head felt like it was on fire. Nevertheless, I am happy to say that I got through it. The 110kg squat was fine. No really sticking on any of the reps.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,602 ✭✭✭celestial

Yo dude, how are things going? you must be making some decent progress yourself?:)

Alright Al! Cheers for askin dude. Actually I have been out of the country for the past month and have done feck all for that time. I had two workouts in 3 weeks I think! I also ate whatever I fancied - again, I did that last time too. So sweets, chocolate biscuits whatever. Hasn't had an impact on the belly though which is nice though! I will be getting back into the training from tomorrow when I am back at work - officially the end of my holiday so it's back to the trusty routine!

You're keeping things consistent anyway, keep up the good work.

• Advertisement

Last Night

Kickboxing 2 hours

Severe DOMS from Sundays session meant that this was very, very poor. Nearly died during the wall sit.

Tonight.

Deadlift
    60kg 1x8
    102kg 1x6
    143kg 3x5, 1x4 - failed on fifth rep, couldn't lock out, grip went to sh1t
    102kg 1x12

Weighted Chin
    +15kg 4x8

Cable Row
    Plate 12 1x12
    Plate 18 3x10, 1x9 - Grip went to sh1te again

Barbell curl
    30kg 1x12
    35kg 3x12
    20kg 1x20....mega pump dude

Reverse curl
    20kg 3x15

Really bad session. I actually regressed since last week because I was able to get 143kg 5x5 with relative ease. Tonight just didn't happen. My legs were still riddled with DOMS and my grip felt as about as strong as a arthritc geriatric woman. Poor show.

I think my dual training is starting to catch up with me. I have to say that the compromise is causing me to perform suboptimally in both. I think a shift in focus might be needed. I feel like Will Smith when he came at that cross roads between his music and acting career.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,863 ✭✭✭kevpants

I feel like Will Smith when he came at that cross roads between his music and acting career.

OMG you totally read my mind, I was reading the last few posts and I was just thinkin "Awww man, he's at a crossroads, a definite crossroads."

I was thinking more Beyonce because she had all her girlfriends in Destiny's Child and they were totally BFF's (you and your kickboxing buddies) but her solo stuff was clearly opening up for her (strength training) and she new she had follow her instincts. God bless her. When things get tough and you just want to curl up on the couch with a big tub of Ben&Jerry's and some flannel PJ's you need to ask "What would B do?"..............

I've said too much.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 405 ✭✭Patto

Do you train in TF Sandyford Al?

I saw someone fitting your description hammering the floors with 140something deadlifts last night.

kevpants wrote: »
    I was thinking more Beyonce

We do have similar gluteal development :o

Patto wrote: »
    Do you train in TF Sandyford Al?

I saw someone fitting your description hammering the floors with 140something deadlifts last night.

What someone like Beyonce?? :D

No I've never been to Total Fitness. I train in UCD.

Tonight:

Bench:
    Bar 1x8
    60kg 1x5
    80kg 1x3
    85kg 5x5....with ease. Feeling super strong :cool:

Military Press:
    50kg 4x8

Incline Bench
    53kg 3x12, 1x10....failed the previous 2 exercises had me wrecked

20lbs 4x12

Close Grip Bench
    43kg 1x12
    53kg 3x10

Tricep pushdown
    Full stack 3x12

Close arm pushups
    2x10

Good session. Took a break last night (no kickboxing) and I felt super strong for it :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 405 ✭✭Patto

What someone like Beyonce?? :D

No I've never been to Total Fitness. I train in UCD.

Lucky for you, I shoudln't critisize as my deadlifting form was awful for years but the guy in TF who was deadlifting the 140s needed to have a look at his form.

And if you had a posterior chain like Beyonce you would be deadlifting 140s for breakfast:)

Squat
    bar x8
    60kg x5
    100g x3
    112.5kg 5x5...easier than last week :)

Leg Press
    Plate 8 x12
    Plate 11 3x10

Stiff leg deadlift
    60kg 1x12
    100kg 3x12

Seated Calf raise
    60kg 3x15

Reverse hyper
    +15kg 3x20

leg raises
    3x15

Stretching 10mins

Great session. Squats were super deep and felt really strong.

Last Night

Kickboxing 2 hours

Tonight.

Deadlift
    60kg 1x8
    102kg 1x5
    142kg 5x5.....Holding last rep locked out for about 10 seconds for effect.;) Yeah 3 plates, I kicked your a$$. I don't know what was up with me last week

Weighted Chin
    +15kg 3x8, 1x10

Cable Row
    Plate 12 1x12
    Plate 18 3x10

Barbell curl
    ~30kg 1x12
    ~35kg 3x12

Concentration Curl
    20lbs 3x15

Sparring - 40minutes at the end of session

Good stuff. Feeling much better after last week.

Deadlift
    60kg 1x8
    102kg 1x5
    142kg 5x5.....Holding last rep locked out for about 10 seconds for effect.;) Yeah 3 plates, I kicked your a$$. I don't know what was up with me last week

Did you look around while holding it and nod your head?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,589 ✭✭✭Hail 2 Da Chimp

Hey Al, have a question for you:
    Do you find your flexibility suffering with the squatting / deadlifting?
    I'm having serious trouble kicking head height, I have started doing a full leg / lower back stretch after my leg sessions but I don't know is that wise after putting my legs through that much abuse?

Did you look around while holding it and nod your head?

You knows it - I stuck the tongue out too and followed it all with the obligatory Ronnie Coleman WOOOOOO LIGHTWEIGHT!:D

Hey Al, have a question for you:
    Do you find your flexibility suffering with the squatting / deadlifting?
    I'm having serious trouble kicking head height, I have started doing a full leg / lower back stretch after my leg sessions but I don't know is that wise after putting my legs through that much abuse?

Squatting/Deadlifting and improving kicking height, power and technique are too very separate pursuits as far as I am concerned.

Deadlifting and squatting will make your hips and the rest of legs strong - which is only going contribute positively towards having good kicking legs. However, if you want to improve your kicking you need to practice kicking more. Sounds simple - but many people will overlook this. More kicking padwork FTW.

After my deadlift and squat days I put myself through what feels like stretching hell. I can nearly get full front and side splits. I also do loads of other leg stretches and I feel really loose after it. TBH I think after a good session is always a good time to stretch and push yourself through the pain barrier. Well in my experience anyways.

Tonight

Kickboxing 2 hours

Really tough training

• Registered Users Posts: 7,589 ✭✭✭Hail 2 Da Chimp

Cheers Al, I've started doing a good stretch after my leg workouts and can see an improvement already. My power has gone through the roof with the squats and deads but I was always weary of stretching out too much after a leg session for fear of injuring myself - so far so good though!
    Now if I could get a bit more pad work in I'd be happy...

I was always weary of stretching out too much after a leg session for fear of injuring myself - so far so good though!
    Now if I could get a bit more pad work in I'd be happy...

My attitude to stretching is "no pain, no gain." In my experience it is very hard to push yourself too hard stretching and get injured once your legs are nicely warmed up - which they certainly should be after a leg session (if not - train harder).

If you feel that you want more kicking padwork just ask your coach. There's nothing more satisfying then kicking someone in the head.:pac:

Tonight:

Bench:
    Bar 1x8
    60kg 1x5
    80kg 1x3
    86kg 5x5....Back.of.the.Net.

Military Press:
    50kg 3x8, 1x10

DB Fly
    22kg 4x12

20lbs 2x12, 1x15

Close Grip Bench
    50kg 3x12

Tricep pushdown
    Full stack 3x12

Close arm pushups
    1x12

Handy session. Take the night of tomorrow. Going to go kickboxing on Sat. and I'm not sure I'll get to the gym otherwise.

Yesterday
    Kickboxing - 1hr 45mins

Stayed in bed too long and ended going up with major bed-head. Got through it fine tho even tho I didn't get much sleep the night before:cool:

Today
    Squat
    bar x8
    60kg x5
    100g x3
    116kg 5x5...:)

Leg Press
    Plate 8 x12
    Plate 11 3x10

Stiff leg deadlift
    60kg 1x12
    100kg 3x12

Seated Calf raise
    60kg 3x15

Reverse hyper
    +15kg 3x20

Stretching 10mins

I bleedin wrecked after this one. Fell asleep during "Transporter 2" (not before the hooking of the bomb under the car scene last night, thank Christ) and slept a good 11 hours. Very groggy in the gym but got my 5x5 at 116kg.

However, I have decided that this kind of training is not sustainable. I need to concentrate more on personal stuff, work and kickboxing until the new year at least. Probably going to take Tuesday off and then begin a 2-day full body workout after.

I thinking along the lines of something like this:
    Day 1:
    Squat 4x8-10
    Weighted Pull-ups 4x8-10
    Close-Grip Bench 3x12
    Lateral Raises 3x12
    Barbell Curls 3x12
    Reverse Hypers 3x20

Day 2:
    Bench 4x8-10
    Deadlift 4x8
    Military Press 4x8-10
    Leg Press 3x12
    Reverse Curl 3x12
    Tricep pulldown 3x12

Thoughts/opinions anyone?

You'll probably end up stronger for it. If your body is telling you it's shattered you're probably not getting the full benefits of your training anyway Al.

• Advertisement

You'll probably end up stronger for it. If your body is telling you it's shattered you're probably not getting the full benefits of your training anyway Al.

Cheers for the input Kev. I'll see how I get on. I don't think I'm in an overtrained state or anything because I've been making some decent strength gains lately. I really just want to chill out for a while and enjoy other things in my life.

I'm still going to log on here but I won't be doing anything over 75-80% of my max on my lifts for the next 6 weeks at least.

Tonight:

Kickboxing 2 hours.

Legs were still pretty sore from the squat session yesterday. I'm going to take a break tomorrow night, go kickboxing on Wednesday and start my new routine on Thursday....or whenever....:cool:

Advertisement