Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Merc E200 Komp 2001

Options
  • 26-03-2008 11:01am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,705 ✭✭✭

Hi Guys
    I have seen the above motor for sale for 15950, car pretty much in spanking condition with 56000 on the clock.

Service history iffy though so i have approached the garage and asked them would they be willing to slap the motor into a Merc Dealership for a full work over and foot the bill for this. While there have a couple of body work issues addressed, also address any possible issue that may arise.

They seem will to do this so my question is after a full workup and service. would this be a worthy motor to invest in.

Car will be for myself with Family runs sometimes coming into play but we have a family motor already. i am looking for a little bit of luxury for the budget of 16k and this seems to fit the bill.

So any opinions on this?????

cheers
    Darren

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 187 ✭✭GB15

Have a look at the reviews here

http://www.carsurvey.org/modelyear_Mercedes-Benz_E-Class_2001.html

Theres some quality issues mostly relating to the brakes, rust and faulty sensors. There's also some cases of engines and transmissions needing replacing. Faulty sensors seems to be a common complaint for most German brands from this era though.

As they say on Top Gear the main problem with Mercs is they're built like a Mercedes. Apparently Mercedes have acknowledged the poor quality of recent models and have pumped a lot of money into bringing their standards back to that of the old days.

Also why is the service history iffy? The least you'd expect from a car with 56k is a full service history.

• Registered Users Posts: 545 ✭✭✭shanel23

check over the wheel arches with a fine tooth comb for rust

• Registered Users Posts: 2,705 ✭✭✭BrookieD

GB15 wrote: »
    Have a look at the reviews here

http://www.carsurvey.org/modelyear_Mercedes-Benz_E-Class_2001.html

Theres some quality issues mostly relating to the brakes, rust and faulty sensors. There's also some cases of engines and transmissions needing replacing. Faulty sensors seems to be a common complaint for most German brands from this era though.

As they say on Top Gear the main problem with Mercs is they're built like a Mercedes. Apparently Mercedes have acknowledged the poor quality of recent models and have pumped a lot of money into bringing their standards back to that of the old days.

Also why is the service history iffy? The least you'd expect from a car with 56k is a full service history.

thanks for the link i will take a look now. Servcie history was not handed over as was the manual missing when the car was traded in. Now it could have full history but the dealer can not contact the old owner?

i am going to do a few checks on the motor to make sure all is ok but If a Merc dealer is servicing the car and the dealer is taking the hit i might be happy with that

• Registered Users Posts: 20,089 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

mercedes ireland should be able to tell you if and when it has been at a franchised dealer and the dealer in turn can tell you if its serviced or not, just get the chassis no and reg

i know bmw ireland will do this

• Registered Users Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

Cyrus wrote: »
    mercedes ireland should be able to tell you if and when it has been at a franchised dealer and the dealer in turn can tell you if its serviced or not, just get the chassis no and reg

i know bmw ireland will do this

Just because it may not have been serviced by a franchised dealer doesn't mean it doesn't have a history. Similarly, having a full MB history doesn't actually add anything of value to the car.

I had one - loved it. Sorry I sold it, tbh........I would have thought that the price would be lower, though. I sold my 01 with 58k on it, in 06, for 17k. I'm presuming it's an Avantgarde, with full leather, auto. Otherwise, it's worth nothing remotely like 15.9k.

The only other thing to note, is, is the car an import? There were a lot of ex-Singapore E200k's imported a couple of years ago, so is it one of those ? They usually have a high spec, but again, missing history........ I'm not saying don't buy one, but the price should reflect it...........

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Advertisement

i wasnt suggesting that at all, but what i was saying that if it was serviced by a franchised dealer then MB ireland should have the info :)

personally id prefer a trusted independent doing the servicing but thats a different discussion

Cyrus wrote: »
    i wasnt suggesting that at all, but what i was saying that if it was serviced by a franchised dealer then MB ireland should have the info :)

personally id prefer a trusted independent doing the servicing but thats a different discussion

+1 on that, especially with franchise at eur 90/hr...........

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

in galway maybe, more in dublin :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,705 ✭✭✭BrookieD

well after much searching today i know the car came in from the North, while it did get service it was not through MB.

car is an Elegance spec and is in tip top condition after a test drive today, not a rattle or squeak from anywhere and sounded lovely. Auto box shifted when it was supposed to and no clunks to be heard.

AS the dealer is willing to get it ot MB for a full work up and get a few niggles sorted( scratch on bonnet, bumper repair) then i think i will part with my cash and purchase this car.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

I dunno, an Alfa 166 would be just as reliable and a lot more fun. Cheaper too.:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

Me Da got an '02 W211 E240 Avantgarde with the same mileage and FSH from a Merc main stealer with 12mths warranty for not much more than you're paying for that. I think your theory is sound but for that money, you could get a much better example with much better terms IMO.

BrookieD wrote: »
    well after much searching today i know the car came in from the North, while it did get service it was not through MB.

car is an Elegance spec and is in tip top condition after a test drive today, not a rattle or squeak from anywhere and sounded lovely. Auto box shifted when it was supposed to and no clunks to be heard.

AS the dealer is willing to get it ot MB for a full work up and get a few niggles sorted( scratch on bonnet, bumper repair) then i think i will part with my cash and purchase this car.

If you're happy with the car - great - but I still think the price is on the high side.........

Ode To The Motorist

• Registered Users Posts: 65,419 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

galwaytt wrote: »
    If you're happy with the car - great - but I still think the price is on the high side.........

+1

• Registered Users Posts: 51,243 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Here is a 02 for similar money:
    http://www.carzone.ie/used-cars/Mercedes-Benz/E-200/K-Elegance/954325/

Or here is a cheaper clean looking 2001 in a private sale. And it has leather and its an auto (makes a car like this much easier to sell on afterwards):
    http://www.carzone.ie/used-cars/Mercedes-Benz/E-200/ELEGANCE-KOMPRESSOR/967606/

Advertisement