Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

17 hmr cleaning

Options
  • 26-03-2008 11:03am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,096 ✭✭✭

Just got a 17hmr. Any views on cleaning eg regularity, type (copper etc) etc

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,612 ✭✭✭bullets

A few people I spoke to seemed to assume that just because they are a rimfire
    they could treat it like a .22 with regards to cleaning. At the range some of the lads
    with them have said they clean every 50 rounds. I find mine tends to settle and I get
    better groupings after 100 rounds and after about 150-170 I need to give it a quick
    pull through with a boresnake.

I give mine a quick pull through with a bore snake every 150 rounds or so.
    and a good clean when I get home.

I also find that about 200 rounds is enough to fill the SAK moderator will gunk!
    and it needs a thourough cleaning too.

I bought an Otis universal cleaning kit which has a flexable cable with a slotted tip
    to allow me to use patches for when I am using solvents.

Have not got a one piece cleaning rod for it yet and have heard they can be a tight
    fit for the bore.

Let me know how you get on with split necks!!! I found my rifle only likes Hornady Brand.
    Any other brand I've tried get split necks. Think CCI "load" all the brands.
    TNT, CCI and Remington I have found to be not as good as the Hornady.
    th_rem.jpg

~B

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,461 ✭✭✭foxshooter243

bullets wrote: »
    A few people I spoke to seemed to assume that just because they are a rimfire
    they could treat it like a .22 with regards to cleaning. At the range some of the lads
    with them have said they clean every 50 rounds. I find mine tends to settle and I get
    better groupings after 100 rounds and after about 150-170 I need to give it a quick
    pull through with a boresnake.

I give mine a quick pull through with a bore snake every 150 rounds or so.
    and a good clean when I get home.

I also find that about 200 rounds is enough to fill the SAK moderator will gunk!
    and it needs a thourough cleaning too.

I bought an Otis universal cleaning kit which has a flexable cable with a slotted tip
    to allow me to use patches for when I am using solvents.

Have not got a one piece cleaning rod for it yet and have heard they can be a tight
    fit for the bore.

Let me know how you get on with split necks!!! I found my rifle only likes Hornady Brand.
    Any other brand I've tried get split necks. Think CCI "load" all the brands.
    TNT, CCI and Remington I have found to be not as good as the Hornady.
    th_rem.jpg

~B

Try using molyfusion which is a super lubricant in your barrel, this is used by a lot of 17 guys to solve the problem of split necks, cos it reduces barrel friction thus reducing pressure-and helps in solving the split necks
    common to this calibre. google molyfusion and it might help.;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,096 ✭✭✭bunny shooter

Cheers Bullets.

Had a 17 hmr when they first arrived in the country but sold it quickly as it was meant to be my fox rifle.

I have one now again CZ 452 Varmint 21" barrel. I put a timney trigger into it, cost me €92. Have a SAK and a JetZ moddy. Lovely rifle.

Fired hornady 100 x original 17 gr vmax and found them very good. Clean burning powder too. Fired 55 x federal v-shock yesterday, not as clean burning at all. Have had no copper even after soaking overnight with copper solvent.

I have carbon fibre one piece rod copper brushes and jag acquired from Sincalir in USA.

Extremely accurate and can't wait to bash long range bunnies with it very soon (as soon as weather allows). From my practice I reckon bunnies out to 150 yards + should be no problem.

Had 1 x split neck with hornady only.

Will keep you up to date of my findings.

Advertisement