Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dog took to the hills

Options
  • 26-03-2008 11:15am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭

Hi folks. I was out walking my dog yesterday and she took off on the way back to the car. I picked her up on the road about a half mile down the road. There was also another dog in the picture. She's 9 months old and i think coming into heat. Would this be the reason she strayed? Also please can anyone give me the definite signs of heat please?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,851 ✭✭✭Glowing

You should really have her spayed! Do you really want a litter of pups on your hands?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭stevoman

Glowing wrote: »
    You should really have her spayed! Do you really want a litter of pups on your hands?

well yes i will be bredding her eventually as she is a pure bred llewellin setter and from top class bredding so that is why i bought her as she is a gun dog. what i am wondering is that she seems to be maybe coming into heat. im just looing for some extra info if anyone has it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 254 ✭✭~Thalia~

stevoman wrote: »
    well yes i will be bredding her eventually as she is a pure bred llewellin setter and from top class bredding so that is why i bought her as she is a gun dog. what i am wondering is that she seems to be maybe coming into heat. im just looing for some extra info if anyone has it.

Oh Christ. Here we go. You intend to breed her and you don't know the signs of her being in heat or not?! :mad: Why would you breed a dog when you clearly have no clue about breeding?

If she is in heat, then yes, this will cause her to wander and stray. Lets hope some other stupid owner didn't have their un neutered dog out loose to meet up with yours on her jaunt or you could already have a litter of not so 'top class' bred pups on your hands.

And before all the "Don't be so harsh" "he only wanted some advice" whingers bother, don't. It's attitudes like this that have 16,000 healthy dogs put to sleep in our pounds each year. It really is that simple.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

~Thalia~ wrote: »
    Oh Christ. Here we go. You intend to breed her and you don't know the signs of her being in heat or not?! :mad: Why would you breed a dog when you clearly have no clue about breeding?

If she is in heat, then yes, this will cause her to wander and stray. Lets hope some other stupid owner didn't have their un neutered dog out loose to meet up with yours on her jaunt or you could already have a litter of not so 'top class' bred pups on your hands.

And before all the "Don't be so harsh" "he only wanted some advice" whingers bother, don't. It's attitudes like this that have 16,000 healthy dogs put to sleep in our pounds each year. It really is that simple.

Excuse me, but dont you dare tar me with the same brush as people who dont have a clue about how to care for thier dogs. I have had plenty of male dogs all through my life and had great success with them all. i never said she was in heat, but i am worried that she may be coming in soon. i have checked and done all the usual rounds to make sure she isnt in heat and i beleive i have proved myself with dogs that i am capable of breeding. what i am looking for is some exta advice about behaviour etc that would be helpful. if you cant present me with some extra solid adive, nor are you able to have anything helpful to say except try have a go at somewhon, take your posts elsewhere and take your attidude with you. your of no help to me. thanks:rolleyes:

• Advertisement

Excuse me, but dont you dare tar me with the same brush as people who dont have a clue about how to care for thier dogs. I have had plenty of male dogs all through my life and had great success with them all. i never said she was in heat, but i am worried that she may be coming in soon. i have checked and done all the usual rounds to make sure she isnt in heat and i beleive i have proved myself with dogs that i am capable of breeding. what i am looking for is some exta advice about behaviour etc that would be helpful. if you cant present me with some extra solid adive, nor are you able to have anything helpful to say except try have a go at somewhon, take your posts elsewhere and take your attidude with you. your of no help to me. thanks:rolleyes:

I couldn't give a monkeys if I'm no help to you to be honest. I'm as entitled to post my opinion as you are to post your question. So there Daddy :rolleyes: yourself.

~Thalia~ wrote: »
    I couldn't give a monkeys if I'm no help to you to be honest. I'm as entitled to post my opinion as you are to post your question. So there Daddy :rolleyes: yourself.

TBH your opinion means f*ck all to me from what iv read. If your so hell bent on posting opinions. Try the politics forum... you'd love it:D

Stevoman, you just need to be careful. If there is the *slightest* chance that your bitch is in heat, then you MUST keep her inside. She'll be followed by every tom, dick and harry, and unfortunately, as most loose dogs aren't neutered, you WILL find yourself with a litter of (as Thalia put it), not so 'top class' pups. All it takes is one dog. And 5 mins. Have you considered what you'd do with a litter of 6 cross-breeds?
    Just be careful.

TBH your opinion means f*ck all to me from what iv read. If your so hell bent on posting opinions. Try the politics forum... you'd love it:D

Oh such a silver tongued devil. I'd hardly call 80+ posts hell bent. We disagree again. God bless the interweb.

Stevoman, you just need to be careful. If there is the *slightest* chance that your bitch is in heat, then you MUST keep her inside. She'll be followed by every tom, dick and harry, and unfortunately, as most loose dogs aren't neutered, you WILL find yourself with a litter of (as Thalia put it), not so 'top class' pups. All it takes is one dog. And 5 mins. Have you considered what you'd do with a litter of 6 cross-breeds?
    Just be careful.

Of course Glowing i have kept a close eye on her vaginal area to watch for swelling and discharge. It doesnt seem that time just yet but she has just turned a little over 9 months and i am aware that it is coming. I have a special large run in my yard to keep her secluded even though my two dogs are neutered. |What i am most interested in is her natural behaviour towrds other dogs when she is coming in. Do you have any insight into this? if so it would be great

• Advertisement

Just be careful.

Sound advice. Lets hope your opinion means more to Stevo than mine does :D

• Registered Users Posts: 10,965 ✭✭✭✭Zulu

jesus Thalia, let it go would you - you're not impressing anyone.

I've absolutely no experience with breeding Stevoman, sorry I can't help you there.

I'm particularly interested in getting dogs NOT to breed, although if you're doing all you can to prevent unwanted pups then fair play to you. If the worst does happen, please do the responsible thing and rehome them properly rather than dumping them in an already overcrowded shelter somewhere. (not saying you would, but you'd be surprised how many 'responsible breeders' do!)

I've absolutely no experience with breeding Stevoman, sorry I can't help you there.

I'm particularly interested in getting dogs NOT to breed, although if you're doing all you can to prevent unwanted pups then fair play to you. If the worst does happen, please do the responsible thing and rehome them properly rather than dumping them in an already overcrowded shelter somewhere. (not saying you would, but you'd be surprised how many 'responsible breeders' do!)

Not a chance. A dog is as good as a child and if not treated in a respectful and well manner you will never have any luck for it. I actually help people around my area to re-home pups when i can, as i cant stand anyone leaving or not caring for any animal, so animal welfare is an interest of mine espeically i the line of work that i am in. My reason for breeding is to continue to produce a good line of working setters of good breeding and i hope to breed her maybe next year or the year after. i suspect i will travel to england one of the great homes of the working llewellin to choose her sire.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

At the age of nine months, not only may she be about to come into heat, she is also most definetely about to became an unruly "teenager".

Running away from you may just have been a simple exploration of her boundaries and a test of your leadership qualities.

For those two reasons, be extra vigilant and consistent over the next few months ...she will put you to the test a good few more times ...heat or no heat.

Zulu wrote: »
    jesus Thalia, let it go would you - you're not impressing anyone.

I actually wasn't trying to impress and I don't have any problem in not being backwards about coming forwards in pointing out how totally iresponsible it is to leave a bitch out ANYWHERE if there is even the SLIGHTEST chance she may be in heat. If you don't like that then tough. I don't see your advice to Stevoman either so you just post to have a pop at me. Feel free. Work away.
    Try working with a sanctuary and seeing the pups upon pups upon pups that come in as a result of dogs in heat and not spayed and neutered being outside and able to roam. And they are the lucky ones, the ones that make it to the sanctuarys there are countless more that don't and God only knows what happens to them.
    I wish you all the best with your bitch Stevoman. As glowing said, please keep her in. At 9 months old there is EVERY chance she is in heat.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

Thalia--Consider this a warning or face a 2 week ban.
    Your attitude is wrong--Stevo wanted advice and this is what we "try" and give here.
    Not a lecture about what he has / or has not done wrong.

If you dont like the rules you dont have to post here.

peasant wrote: »
    At the age of nine months, not only may she be about to come into heat, she is also most definetely about to became an unruly "teenager".

Running away from you may just have been a simple exploration of her boundaries and a test of your leadership qualities.

For those two reasons, be extra vigilant and consistent over the next few months ...she will put you to the test a good few more times ...heat or no heat.

Gods knows thats the truth. She's on the whistle now and quite responsive to it. I have the mindset thats she's baby and will make mistakes. I hope all the work i put in everyday with training will pay off. Of course teens will be teens though!!!!

ps - i have a nice picture of her in the sitting room i'l scan it and post it after dinner. see what you folks think of her!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

"Dog took to the hills" I like the OP's heading :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 842 ✭✭✭Lauragoesmad

Yeah, I'd say she's just being a bold teenager for once! She'l probably stop once she realises she gets put straight back on the lead after bolting! ;) Good Luck with her!!

• Advertisement

Thanks very much. She's a beauty and real smart too. Im giving het as much postive reinforcment as possible so i hope it works.

Here's the pic as promised, drying off after a good days running in the fields!

p10006.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,208 ✭✭✭fatmammycat

She's very beautiful.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 301 ✭✭michelleans

Wow she is gorgeous! Love her colouring.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,523 ✭✭✭✭fits

What a beauty!

Advertisement