Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Renovation/Building Costs Outside Dublin

• 26-03-2008 11:25am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 70 ✭✭

I have looked all over boards.ie for info on the current cost of (a) renovating an old house - incl. new floors, ceilings, electric, plastering, plumbing, heating, DPC,etc and (b) building a new extension.

I am in Cork and from what I see on this forum, the cost of getting a builder to do the works is about €120 per sq. ft., for the renovations and for the new build extension. On top of that there's painting, tiling, bathroom, kitchen, new well, new septic tank and re-lime rendering the outside.

Do those figures look right for County Cork? I have been told by several people now that the builders are a bit more hungry for work and might be more likely to give competitive quotes now :) - anyone got any experience with this?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,321 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Its the old "how long is a piece of string" scenario. Its down to your location, size of the development and availability of tradesmen. You may be lucky and get someone here who has had similar works carried out but the best advice is to get your plans and fire them out to a few local reputable builders for estimates.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 70 ✭✭rosullivan

muffler wrote: »
    Its the old "how long is a piece of string" scenario. Its down to your location, size of the development and availability of tradesmen. You may be lucky and get someone here who has had similar works carried out but the best advice is to get your plans and fire them out to a few local reputable builders for estimates.

Fair enough. Was just looking to see what people's experiences were so that I have some ammunition when negotiating with the builders. I suppose I'm looking to see generally what people have paid renovate and extend houses to an "average" spec - I agree, piece of string:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,724 ✭✭✭BoozyBabe

Well, I'm pretty rural, & planning a new build. I'm officially being told to estimate €100 per sq ft, & tbh, I'm seriously hoping that it's less than that. i.e. 80-90, but I honestly don't know, I'm getting differing opinions from laymen.

Waiting for my plans to be finalised before putting out to tender, but really praying that it's not as much as €100 /sq ft, or I'll be enjoying bare floors & plaster & a chipboard carcass of a kitchen for many many years to come!!!! :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,433 ✭✭✭sinnerboy

Google "insurance rebuilding costs"

the various property insurers give outline costs which vary from region to region around Ireland

In Dublin we stopped seeing €100 / sq foot along time ago ........

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,724 ✭✭✭BoozyBabe

sinnerboy wrote: »
    In Dublin we stopped seeing €100 / sq foot along time ago ........

Well, speaking to people who've just finished building, almost finished building, or who haven't been in all that long, the prices they paid ranged from a v low 60 to around 85 /sq ft.

I realise the 60 is a few years old, so is very unrealistic, but I'm really hoping we'll hit around the 85-90 mark.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 70 ✭✭rosullivan

BoozyBabe wrote: »
    Well, speaking to people who've just finished building, almost finished building, or who haven't been in all that long, the prices they paid ranged from a v low 60 to around 85 /sq ft.

I realise the 60 is a few years old, so is very unrealistic, but I'm really hoping we'll hit around the 85-90 mark.

Well, we are renovating and building in rural west Cork. We have been told (by our architect) to budget €120 sq ft for the new extension build and something broadly similar for the renovation (but it won't include new sash windows, re-rendering, etc - see my original post). If I can get €100 sq ft overall I'll be happy as the total sq ft is "only" 2,000 sq ft - that is small by most people's standards it seems.

€120 sq ft seems high, especially if there is more competition among builders now??? I take the point that insurance rebuilding costs in Dublin are much higher, but I would have thought costs in the countryside should be lower. If builders were charging €120 sq ft last summer, I'd expect them to (at the least) be no higher now and maybe even lower due to more competition for less work. Is that just naive or is it realistic?

According to the SCS Insurance Guide at July 2007, I'm looking at between €130 and €150sq ft to rebuild. That's seriously bad news if it's true!

Advertisement