Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Digiweb SMTP server blocked by Hotmail services?

Options
  • 26-03-2008 12:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,265 ✭✭✭

Just wondering if there are any digiweb customers out there experiencing problems sending emails to hotmail addresses?

I'm a Metro customer and have noticed that over the past 2 or so weeks that every email I send to hotmail addresses are rejected by Hotmail, siting that the ip address [smtp.digiweb.ie] has been blocked for sending too much junk mail. Every email I send to any other address goes through fine.

If this is the case, I would assume that other digiweb customers would have the same issue. Digiweb support have just told me that Digiweb do not guarantee their email service, which is totally unacceptable considering that I have to use their smtp to send emails [as far as I know] and it's THEIR smtp server that seems blocked. I can understand the odd glitch in their email server but to have a 100% failure rate to a particular domain is not good.

Just looking for others who have this problem before I start to lose faith in one of the best Irish ISP's

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

IrishTLR wrote: »
    Just wondering if there are any digiweb customers out there experiencing problems sending emails to hotmail addresses?

I'm a Metro customer and have noticed that over the past 2 or so weeks that every email I send to hotmail addresses are rejected by Hotmail, siting that the ip address [smtp.digiweb.ie] has been blocked for sending too much junk mail. Every email I send to any other address goes through fine.

If this is the case, I would assume that other digiweb customers would have the same issue. Digiweb support have just told me that Digiweb do not guarantee their email service, which is totally unacceptable considering that I have to use their smtp to send emails [as far as I know] and it's THEIR smtp server that seems blocked. I can understand the odd glitch in their email server but to have a 100% failure rate to a particular domain is not good.

Just looking for others who have this problem before I start to lose faith in one of the best Irish ISP's

I would have thought Digiweb like most ISP's have no obligation to offer an SMTP service unless they specifically block outbound port 25 where you would have no choice (like smart)

If for example there was a problem on the hotmail side again nothing digiweb can do there.

There are too many if's but maybe's what if's to guarantee SMTP IMO.

If your email address is not with digiweb then just use the ISP's smtp server that host your email etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

No-one can Guarantee email. It depends on too many independent Servers.

If Hotmail are blocking Digiweb SMTP originated emails, the problem server is Hotmail, not Digiweb. Hotmail, Yahoo and other similar non-ISP services are much worse than ISPs for SPAM. ISPs have lots of anti-spam and anti-relaying features because they pay for traffic out of their own network.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,265 ✭✭✭RangeR

ntlbell wrote: »
    I would have thought Digiweb like most ISP's have no obligation to offer an SMTP service unless they specifically block outbound port 25 where you would have no choice (like smart)

My point exactly. I was under the impression that Digiweb do block port 25[as a lot of ISP's do]. I'll have to check tonight, unless someone can confirm.
    If your email address is not with digiweb then just use the ISP's smtp server that host your email etc.
    I'd love to but I was never allowed to by the many ISP's I've been with over the years. Again, I'll check tonight.

watty wrote: »
    No-one can Guarantee email. It depends on too many independent Servers.

If Hotmail are blocking Digiweb SMTP originated emails, the problem server is Hotmail, not Digiweb. Hotmail, Yahoo and other similar non-ISP services are much worse than ISPs for SPAM. ISPs have lots of anti-spam and anti-relaying features because they pay for traffic out of their own network.

Agreed but the sup rep wasn't really interested in getting the issue resolved. Only Digiweb can approach Hotmail to get de-listed, not me. This is not a huge problem if I can use my own smtp.

Did a bit of checking and Digiweb don't block outbound smtp requests. Will be using my own smtp server from now on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

Happy days.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,886 ✭✭✭cgarvey

watty wrote: »
    If Hotmail are blocking Digiweb SMTP originated emails, the problem server is Hotmail, not Digiweb.

Hotmail could well argue that the problem server is at Digiweb for failing to adequetly control spam output. If that is the case (and was the cause for the blacklisting), then my money's on Hotmail being right, not Digiweb (who can't guarantee connectiviy, let alone a phone service or SMTP!). Sure, Hotmail can be agressive, but generally not without just cause. Digiweb could rectify the problem (which is a problem of their customers', not of Hotmail's customers) by fixing the cause, or communicating any erroneous blocking to Hotmail (something only Digiweb can do).

Advertisement