Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fire alarm in apartment going off all night

Options
  • 26-03-2008 12:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,864 ✭✭✭

HI

There was a fire alarm going off all night in the apartment block across the road from my house last night. I called the mgmt company at 7.30 to ask them to send somebody out...and was told that they would. At 9.30 it was still going off so I rang them back again...only to be told that the emergency numbers that they had were not being answered and that they didnt know who the key holder was!!!!:eek:

I told them that if they couldnt get the alarm off I was calling the gardai...the guy then said he'd try to get a security guard to have a look. 5 mins later the security guard called and asked where in Bushy park the problem was....i told him it was nowhere near bushy park and to go back to the mgmt company for details.

Needless to say the alarm was still going off at 7 am this morning.

Does anybody know who the correct people to make a complaint about this would be? Gardai/ County Council/ Fire safety authority??

thx

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,306 ✭✭✭markpb

If the fire alarm wasn't connected to a central unit (for example in a shared apartment block), there's no way for the management company to gain access or to turn off the alarm. Just like if a fire alarm goes off in a semi-d, the council can't go in and turn it off.

I don't think there's anything the Gardai can do in this case, your only option after the management company is to file a noise pollution complaint with the Dept. of Environment.
    5 mins later the security guard called and asked where in Bushy park the problem was....i told him it was nowhere near bushy park and to go back to the mgmt company for details.

Why did you refuse to help the security guard? You were the one who reported the problem, you'd know best where the alarm was going off. Neither the management company nor the security guard would have any better information that you.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,864 ✭✭✭daheff

I didnt refuse to help the security guard....I had already given the details to the mgmt company. Added to this there are only 6 apartment blocks in the estate...so it wouldnt have taken much investigation on their part to rectify the issue.

The fire alarm was in a shared apartment block. They had access to this but they didnt know which of their staff had the key.

Advertisement