Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Forthcoming Steven Ericson - Toll The Hounds

• 26-03-2008 12:45pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,443 ✭✭✭✭

For anyone else who's a fan of SE's work, and hasn't seen it yet...

Here is a copy of the prologue from the forthcoming book, given by Ericson to the malazan forums to post.

Mods - hope you don't mind me linking to another forum.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭MayoForSam

Cool! I've read all of the Malazan books up to Bonehunters, Reaper's Gale is next on my list. He keeps churning them out, doesn't he? Still managing to maintain a very high standard of storytelling however.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,443 ✭✭✭✭bonkey

MayoForSam wrote: »
    He keeps churning them out, doesn't he?

He's managing one a year...and expects to continue doing so until book 10, which will be the end of the series. TtH is book 8, if memory serves.

Of course, then there's always the Bauchelain and Korbal Broach novellas/books (3 so far?), also by Ericson.

And lets not forget the series of six (?) books by Ian Cameron Esslemont, of which one is published (Knight of Knives) and one is about to be published (Return of the Crimson Guard).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

Sweet, I've been lacking my fix of gigantic epic fantasy for a few months now...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,326 ✭✭✭Zapp Brannigan

Awesome. Can't wait, must give the series a reread.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,104 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

\o/

Whan is it out?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 286 ✭✭!_Brian_!

I'm still only a fifth of the way through Deadhouse Gates .... think I'll be busy for a while so!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,199 ✭✭✭Shryke

I thought Night of Knives wasn't part of the six, or however many the deal includes. I'm reasonably positive it isn't at least. Which would mean more Malaz goodness.

Night of Knives deals with the gap between the prologue and first chapter of Gardens of the Moon. (I think, I've yet to read it)

Ya, I've read it... I meant that NoK isn't part of the six book deal that Esslemont made. So after Return of the Crimson Guard there should be five more Malazan books by him, not four. ;)

cool, I'm waiting for NoK's paperback release before I buy it. I want to read about the crimson guard specially after the brief glimpse you get of them in one of Erikson's books.

• Advertisement

\o/

Whan is it out?

This summer, according to the new paperback Reaper's Gale. \o/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,056 ✭✭✭Tragedy

Toll The Hounds: July 1st
    Return of the Crimson Guard: 11th or 14th of August.

Tragedy wrote: »
    Toll The Hounds: July 1st
    Return of the Crimson Guard: 11th or 14th of August.

Toll is coming out so soon? Man, I remember the huge wait I had to endure for Reapers Gale. And The Bonehunters for that matter. Time has flown by! I'll have to get this baby read before I head off inter-railing in mid July! Won't be any worries though, I'll chew it up in about two days! Awesome.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,056 ✭✭✭Tragedy

Toll was meant to be out in June, pushed back a month.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,104 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

I await with glee.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭Iago

I got my copy from Amazon yesterday :)

of course I'm still on Midnight Tides as I re-read the series so it'll be a couple of weeks before I get started on it!

My friend is already well into it, the swine.

Mine is still in the mail. I better get it by Friday..

Bah...my local bookshop doesn't have it in yet.

On the plus side...my Crimson Guard has arrived in the post, so that will keep me going till I do get TotH.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Just bought my copy during my lunch break. To those who've started: how does it shape up?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 931 ✭✭✭moridin

Bah, we both know that it'll be 8 years before you get to reading it Ix... :)

moridin wrote: »
    Bah, we both know that it'll be 8 years before you get to reading it Ix... :)
    Nope, it's the next book on my list. I've an exemption for Erikson from the list because yes otherwise it'd be 8 years!

Apparantly it's a very slow start for a few hundred pages anyway. :)

Then gets fantastic.

Just ordered it.

bonkey wrote: »
    Bah...my local bookshop doesn't have it in yet.

On the plus side...my Crimson Guard has arrived in the post, so that will keep me going till I do get TotH.

For the record...I'm a couple of hundred pages into RoTG and its pretty damn good. ICE's style is a bit different to SE's, but not too disimilar.

A number of characters that we've already met are making appearances...which is nice.

On the downside, there's a slightly-higher-than-usual number of spelling mistakes. I dunno if its because the book was massively delayed and then the first-ed was a bit rushed. Its not quite annoying me, but it is definitely more than just the "oh look, I found a mistake in a 700-page tome" sort of feeling I'd normally have.

ETA: And dammit...Toll isn't out in Trade until October. I have all the others in Trade. I'm not switching to hardback.

bonkey wrote: »
    For the record...I'm a couple of hundred pages into RoTG and its pretty damn good. ICE's style is a bit different to SE's, but not too disimilar.
    Just out of curiosity - how many pages is it? Amazon list at 304 pages.. is that about accurate? A good bit shorter than the SE books if that's correct.

ixoy wrote: »
    Just out of curiosity - how many pages is it? Amazon list at 304 pages.. is that about accurate? A good bit shorter than the SE books if that's correct.

The first-ed is a two-book hard-cover set. It runs to almost 750 pages (740+), of slightly-less-then trade-paperback size. Of course, it all depends on teh font-size.

From what I've been able to find, RotG is in the region of 265-270k words. For reference/comparison, Reapers Gale was somewhere around 380k. I'd put it around the length of Gardens.

So... Anyone finished Toll The Hounds yet? I'd like to hear how it compares to the rest.

I have been told: 'far more epic once you get past the halfway stage of the book since the first half is a LOT of background'.

• Advertisement

I'm halfway through (just finished Part Two) and am enjoying it so far. It is a little slow moving and, yeah there's a fair bit of background as characters reminisce about their past but it's generally interesting. The prose can be a bit drawn out and too wordy at times and the Tiste Andii tend to be a little too morose, too gloomy but I've been engaged so far. Now I expect thinks to pick up a bit as pieces fall into play, especially with certain characters.

Advertisement