Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Forthcoming Steven Ericson - Toll The Hounds

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,199 ✭✭✭Shryke

I finished this last week. The majority of the book is build up and I found it chaffing some. It wasn't painful but didn't hold me as well as other editions of the malazan saga. I think that's in part due to having certain answers to questions and not leaving as much engaging mystery to overcome. I could do some serious b!tching about certain things but the last couple of hundred pages really do pay off. There are some great moments and while I thought I may have gotten tired of the series after being a stolid fan for the first seven books I found my faith somewhat renewed.
    I'm somewhat hesitant in looking forward to ninth as Erikson has said it will be all build up itself and will have a cliff hanger ending but then that the final book will be pure payout.
    Also Erikson will afterward be writing two trilogies. Both in the malazan world. One of these trilogies will tie up a loose plot from the current series and another book will be the life story of Anomander Rake. Personally I don't give a **** about Rake. Baruk is more my cup of tea than the mysterious dark brooding immortal blah blah blah oh and he's a dragon... wow... whatever. :pac:
    Still, more Malazan stuff. Yay! Add to that Esselmonts efforts and I don't think anyone will be short of material.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

I'd be tempted to wait until 10 is out before I read 9. I also want the Anomandaris purake series! :d

• Registered Users Posts: 15,443 ✭✭✭✭bonkey

Sandor wrote: »
    Still, more Malazan stuff. Yay! Add to that Esselmonts efforts and I don't think anyone will be short of material.

Yeah....I'm still getting through RoTG, and thinking that I need to buy the three Korbelain & Broach novellas that Erikson did.

There's not much chance of being short of material...as always, I find myself in the position of reading a new book in that world, and thinking I should re-read everything to really appreciate all the tie-ins.

There's little better than re-reading a book for the Nth time and still finding some new reference in there that give you an "a-HA!" moment.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,993 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Sandor wrote: »
    Also Erikson will afterward be writing two trilogies. Both in the malazan world. One of these trilogies will tie up a loose plot from the current series and another book will be the life story of Anomander Rake.
    Source for this good news? :)

Any idea what the loose plot trilogy will be - it surely must be something big if it gets its own trilogy?
    And is the other trilogy entirely about Rake or just one book of it? I'm guessing it's got to do with the beginnings of the Tiste Andii? The split from Mother Dark, Silchas Ruin, etc?

Not a lot of details floating around but what we have came from Erikson himself speaking at a UK signing.
    I hope it's alright to post this link:

http://malazanworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=11071

• Advertisement

As for what the loose trilogy is about I have a few ideas...

Spoilers for Toll:
    the whole tyrant debacle perhaps? I think this is the last book in the current series that is set in Darujhistan and we don't even know who this tyrant is. There's a good bit left unresolved there. The Seguleh, the cabal, that tool Humble Measure who was only touched on but put the contract out on the BBs. I could be way off. God knows it might all be wrapped up, or Essellmont will cover it. Who knows?

Cheers. Seems there's also going to be a good few more K & B novellas too. Lots of Malazan to come and I still haven't gotten around to re-reading the current series so I can go "Ahhh!" as I uncover all the clever foreshadowing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

bonkey wrote: »
    thinking that I need to buy the three Korbelain & Broach novellas that Erikson did.

You do. They're stuffed with pitch black humour. The Healthy Dead is a work of genius.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,056 ✭✭✭Tragedy

How did people manage to get RotCG early?

Tragedy wrote: »
    How did people manage to get RotCG early?
    By paying a ridiculous amount of money :) PS Publishing published "Return of the Crimson Guard" in an early edition but it was... pricey. I'm prepared to wait a bit longer! PS Publishing also do the K & B books.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,056 ✭✭✭Tragedy

Oh, one of the limited run signed slip cover things.

Bleh, books are to be read, used and abused - not treasured like that imho!

Reading them in the bath probably helps me have that view :p

Advertisement