Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

OSi or harvey maps on CD

Options
  • 26-03-2008 1:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 33

Hi
    im looking for a second hand electronic version of harvey or osi maps to use them with oziexplorer.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,946 ✭✭✭BeardyGit

You can't use it second-hand, as it's registered to the owner and their computer in the first place, in order to activate the software for use.

The OSi Trailmaster is only 50 notes from the OSi website. That's half what it used to cost, and only a bit more than 2 x laminated Discovery maps....

Gil

• Registered Users Posts: 21,464 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Plus the fact that the maps aren't in a format that you could use in OziExplorer anyway. OziExplorer has it's own internal format for maps that you can generate (calibrate) yourself from raster images of the original maps obtained by whatever means, say scanning the maps and stitching them together. The OSi Tralmaster maps themselves are encrypted, so even if you could get hold of a copy they wouldn't be of any use. Harvey's never produced electronic versions of their Irish maps anyway, so you're stuck there too.

As Gil_Dub said, you can get OSi Trailmaster quite cheaply now, although it's not my weapon of choice I have to say.

I don't know about the other lads, but I found it difficult to load onto my PC, and uses lots of resouces, ran very slow on my machine.

• Registered Users Posts: 33 PanK

hmm,fact 50e its good price.
    someone told me that i can calibrate and use trailmaster maps with oziexplorer.Im a bit confused now.
    So,whats the best way to navigate thru an eg. wiclow way? rather then scan and calibrate paper maps?
    i use the ireland1965 maps with oziE,they work ok in wicklow,for the rest of ireland-too old.
    :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,946 ✭✭✭BeardyGit

No idea - It's a headache I've largely avoided myself by sticking to the old fold-ups and a compass, with a pocket GPS purely for grid ref's and the like.

As far as I know, don't some PDA's work with the OSi Trailmaster software? Or am I mistaken there?

Alun, what's the best plan of action on this one do you reckon,

Gil

• Advertisement

Gil_Dub wrote: »
    As far as I know, don't some PDA's work with the OSi Trailmaster software? Or am I mistaken there?
    You get the PDA version essentially free with the PC version of Trailmaster. Any Windows Mobile PDA will do as long as it has a GPS connected in some way (CF slot, SDIO slot, Bluetooth etc.) I have it running on my ancient Dell Axim X5 with a GPS in the CF slot, and it works fine. I wouldn't really want to be using it as an outdoor navigation device though to be honest .. it isn't waterproof, and the inbuilt battery life just isn't good enough.
    Alun, what's the best plan of action on this one do you reckon,
    Difficult to say without knowing exactly what he wants to do with the maps in question. Neither map is 100% up to date as far as I know regarding the current route of the Wicklow Way (they've been playing around with the route in a few places), so any waypoints you entered ahead of time and downloaded to your GPS may, or may not, be of any use.

That having been said, the route is pretty well signposted most of the way, and it's pretty hard to get lost. It's all along well marked tracks, forest tracks, boardwalks and roads in some places. For that purpose, the appropriate paper maps and a guide book would be plenty good enough, and a GPS would be overkill IMO.

If you really wanted to do this though, a copy of OSi Trailmaster would work, and the East version covers the entire route from beginning to end. As I said, I find it a bit clunky myself, and prefer to use Ozi, but that's also due to the fact that I managed, after much hassling, to get hold of a very good quality jpeg image of the Harvey's Wicklow map on CD from Harvey's themselves a while back (years before Trailmaster came out). I've heard from others recently though that they've stopped doing that, so that's not an option any more.

If he really wants to go down the OziExplorer route, or use some of the other pieces of software out there that allow you to calibrate your own raster maps, then his only real option at the moment is to scan his own maps in and calibrate them himself. I'm not sure what the standpoint of OSi on doing this is though, legal / copyright wise.

BTW PanK, what are these "ireland1965" maps you speak of?

Alun wrote: »
    You get the PDA version essentially free with the PC version of Trailmaster. Any Windows Mobile PDA will do as long as it has a GPS connected in some way (CF slot, SDIO slot, Bluetooth etc.) I have it running on my ancient Dell Axim X5 with a GPS in the CF slot, and it works fine. I wouldn't really want to be using it as an outdoor navigation device though to be honest .. it isn't waterproof, and the inbuilt battery life just isn't good enough.
    that is very good news!
    I used to use paper maps,but i've found it very handy to have a gps.Especially when i don't follow the ways its easy to get lost.
    I wanted to buy the e-trex or magellans but there are no irish maps available.
    BTW i use ipaq and BT GPS-battery last about 8h,and always have a spare one.I keep it in the seal-line protective case,so its waterproof.
    Maybe its just a toy,but i really enjoy it :)
    I wouldn't totally trust to the device based on ms windows,so always have a compas and real map in my backpack.

BTW PanK, what are these "ireland1965" maps you speak of?
    I've found this map on torrents as "ireland1965 by Kabouterbond" and thats all i know about.
    It looks like 1:50000,and is very old,too old to use it in a towns and roads but its not too bad for wild areas.
    It could be very useful to discover a bit of a history of ireland,especialy for foreigners like me.

thanks for all your help lads and sorry for my english :D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,468 ✭✭✭Evil Phil

Yeah, we're all sorry for the english. :pac:

I'll get my coat ...

Evil Phil wrote: »
    Careful now ... (guess where I'm from :D)

I'll get my coat ...
    come on! i can't be that bad
    :confused:
    can i :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,468 ✭✭✭Evil Phil

I wasn't slagging you PanK, I was slagging english people. :o Sorry.

I wasn't slagging you PanK, I was slagging english people. :o Sorry.
    take it easy ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭bbbbb

Some info on GPS usage on http://www.mountainviews.ie/
    I found some free contour maps here as a result
    http://www.smc.org.uk/ContourMaps.htm

bbbbb wrote: »
    Some info on GPS usage on http://www.mountainviews.ie/
    I found some free contour maps here as a result
    http://www.smc.org.uk/ContourMaps.htm
    Yes, but that's all they are, i.e. contours and a few (not very accurate) waypoints, no other map features at all such as forest areas, tracks, streams, roads etc., plus they're for the Garmin etrex series of mapping GPS's, not OziExplorer as the OP requested. If you have a suitable GPS, they're better than nothing, but nowhere near good enough to navigate by.

• Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭bbbbb

There's also other information on the mountainviews.ie site, including creating maps using oziexplorer

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 greenelephant15

PanK wrote: »

I've found this map on torrents as "ireland1965 by Kabouterbond" and thats all i know about.
    It looks like 1:50000,and is very old,too old to use it in a towns and roads but its not too bad for wild areas.
    It could be very useful to discover a bit of a history of ireland,especialy for foreigners like me.

Have you still got this map available? I cannot find this torrent anywhere. Would appreciate a copy :)

Have you still got this map available? I cannot find this torrent anywhere. Would appreciate a copy :)
    I'm not sure if its ok to post links boards.ie, so if its wrong please delete this post.
    I think due to its age this map has no copyrights anyway, but I'm not 100% sure. Just in case this is not my upload :)
    Here is the link http://rapidshare.com/users/BIW6ZB/4
    Enjoy

• Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭IrlJidel

PanK wrote: »
    I'm not sure if its ok to post links boards.ie, so if its wrong please delete this post.
    I think due to its age this map has no copyrights anyway, but I'm not 100% sure. Just in case this is not my upload :)

Goverment copyrights maps (maps published before 2002) have a 50 year copyright.

OSI copyright maps (maps published after 2002) have 70 year copyright.

see
    http://lists.openstreetmap.org/pipermail/talk/2006-May/004094.html

Advertisement