Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where are all the men?

Options
  • 26-03-2008 1:14pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7

:o Hi all. New to boards and I'm sure that this has been discussed a thousand times before but here it is again!

27 year old female who is now single for a year and a half after a long term relationship ended. I've been fine on my own so far as have kept myself very busy, but with spring/summer in the air I'd love to meet someone. Go out every weekend (well nearly as it's getting repetative now) and have dipped my toe into the online dating thing but am getting bored of stinted conversations (and some undesirables) via e-mail.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not on the prowl for a husband as to be honest I'm still a bit cautious, but haven't met anyone that I have even clicked with in a tiny way. It's so hard to meet people in the pub/club scene.

Would love any suggestions or ideas or maybe I'm asking the impossible!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,407 ✭✭✭✭justsomebloke

well all the good men are here http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=908 ;)

and you will have your own chance to meet us at the http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055244107

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

:o Hi all. New to boards and I'm sure that this has been discussed a thousand times before but here it is again!

27 year old female who is now single for a year and a half after a long term relationship ended. I've been fine on my own so far as have kept myself very busy, but with spring/summer in the air I'd love to meet someone. Go out every weekend (well nearly as it's getting repetative now) and have dipped my toe into the online dating thing but am getting bored of stinted conversations (and some undesirables) via e-mail.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not on the prowl for a husband as to be honest I'm still a bit cautious, but haven't met anyone that I have even clicked with in a tiny way. It's so hard to meet people in the pub/club scene.

asl?

How you doin'? :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 17,247 ✭✭✭✭6th

Well you came to the right place! While Boards.ie is not a dating site it is a very social one, or it can be if you really get into it.

Having forums for so many different topics means that if you post in the places that interest you you will meet people into the same things.

Boards Beers are also great fun. There are people married, engaged, seeing each other thanks to this place and there are even Boards.ie Babies!

Welcome to Boards and make sure to check out all the different forums ;)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,696 Mod ✭✭✭✭Silverfish

Don't listen to men telling you where all the men are.

You don't want those men.

Might I recommend one of the fantastic boards.ie events? Such as the BGRHLL beers on the .. 4th April ( it is the 4th, isn't it). Its a great way to meet people.

Reminder: This isn't a dating forum. No more 'a/s/l's' or 'How you doin's' or whatever. We'll just get 4 pages of that and it makes for boring reading for everyone else.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 991 ✭✭✭aye

go to a gym, drop your water bottle and bend over to pick it up without bending your knees. that should works :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,154 ✭✭✭✭Sangre

yes, no doubt the nearest kind, handsome doctor will get down on bended knee and propose to her.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,716 ✭✭✭Balmed Out

keep the chin up. After a long term relationship i found that as soon as i started going out with no intention of meeting anyone i would meet someone. Had a couple of 3 month long "relationships" and im enjoying it. May not have met the woman of my dreams yet but the latest ones going well enough. Were not that bad a lot really so just be open but not actively scouring for someone that ticks every box.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,398 ✭✭✭MIN2511

I can relate to where you are coming from, you just want some eye candy! I am the same, frustrating :)

Not sure about going to the night out on the 4th, everyone would know who i am and ruin the anonymous thing of being on boards. I can relate to where you are coming from, you just want some eye candy! I am the same, frustrating :)

• Registered Users Posts: 22,138 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

Hello and welcome to the boards, maybe find something that intrests you and if there is a club near you then join it that way you have something to talk about right away.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,745 ✭✭✭doonothing

Jaysus... These guys are HILARIOUS.....
    Ah OP, just join an art class or something, you're bound to get chatting to a few people, the more things you do the more potential males are about.
    The gym is another good place to meet people, unlike loud, sweaty, dark clubs with drunk idiots all looking their best! Deceptive to say the least!

Anyhoo, there doesn't seem to be a confidence issua involved, so I reckon just get yourself to a few classes or something and be friendly!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭LouOB

1. get more single friends
    2. get out of dublin - fine things out side the pale
    3. buy more push up bras
    4. go for mr right- now, rather than mr. right
    5. get drunk - you wont be as picky when beer goggles are on

any more ill have to charge

The problem with the online thing is you are probably messaging back and forth for ages before meeting. so its gets stale, only so much people can say in an email.
    i do think going to the gym would be an ideas, lots of blokes there, or joining a class.

would you ever ask a guy out if you saw them in a bar? or are you waiting for the guy to make the first move?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,138 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

Lou whats the Pale?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,778 ✭✭✭tallaght01

If you have a job, have a few hobbies, and have a reasonable social life, then you must bump into a fair amount of blokes.

Just ask one of them out.

The sooner you realise that guys are easy, the sooner you'll restore your inner karma :p

• Registered Users Posts: 4,716 ✭✭✭Balmed Out

people keep saying the gym but i cant see it. I use one most days and id find it weird to start chatting someone up while they are working out. I mean your all sweaty and out of breath it just wouldnt work. I dont know about any of ye but id only come across as some sort of pervert panting with beads of sweat running down my face. I have kissed a girl in a club that i knew to see from the gym but that hardly counts. I reckon just going out with a wide variety of people works best.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,288 ✭✭✭pow wow

Put a photo on your boards.ie profile....I ain't kidding :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭DetectivFoxtrot

Welcome to Boards dietcoke11.45! ;)

Trot on over to the Beer Guts and Receeding Hair forum under Rec. Have a drink at the bar. Get to know the other Boardsies. male and female. It's lighthearted (read the charter) and good craic and the chaps are real nice (and dare I say funny and witty!). You never know, you could click with someone.
    If you're brave head into the drinks on the 4th or wait for the next one.

Beware of Snyper:eek: (he gets drinks thrown over him regularly LOL)!

p.s. I don't get the gym notion. They are not pick up joints. don't do it!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,460 ✭✭✭✭fits

Balmed Out wrote: »
    people keep saying the gym but i cant see it. I use one most days and id find it weird to start chatting someone up while they are working out. I mean your all sweaty and out of breath it just wouldnt work. I dont know about any of ye but id only come across as some sort of pervert panting with beads of sweat running down my face. I have kissed a girl in a club that i knew to see from the gym but that hardly counts. I reckon just going out with a wide variety of people works best.

Me neither! Its the last place I would think about meeting someone. everyone's sweaty and red... although I dont like gyms much anyway which doesnt help I suppose.

tallaght01 wrote: »

The sooner you realise that guys are easy, the sooner you'll restore your inner karma :p

Not enough...you need to learn how to handle easy men too.
    Don't use them as an ego boost.
    Look to prioritise your needs and don't waste your time with people who aren't meeting expectations.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭King of Kings

Silverfish wrote: »
    Don't listen to men telling you where all the men are.

You don't want those men.
    humour me and explain that logic.....
    why not?

OP - we are found everywhere. It's only when you're looking there is nobody. when you're with somebody you find loads of really sweet people. it's just the way and i'd be rich if i could figure it out.

funnily enough I ask that frequently "where are all the single non-under 23 year old women gone?"

- away from you

:(

Balmed Out wrote: »
    people keep saying the gym but i cant see it. I use one most days and id find it weird to start chatting someone up while they are working out.

agreed. it's nice to be admired in the gym but not the best for chatting to somebody - i'm usually too busy - and the intrusion prob not welcome.

• Advertisement

why not?

You didn't see the deleted posts.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭King of Kings

Silverfish wrote: »
    You didn't see the deleted posts.

coolio. get ya!
    i consider myself humoured.

NEWSFLASH!

truth dawns on king of kings that all men aren't as charming and witty as he

why not?

OP - we are found everywhere. It's only when you're looking there is nobody. when you're with somebody you find loads of really sweet people. it's just the way and i'd be rich if i could figure it out.

It's the 'grass is greener' theory. You only think they're sweet because you shouldn't get involved with them. If you were single, they'd bore you or annoy you or just be plain unattractive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 dietcoke1145

Thanks to all of you for your replies. I really appreciate it ... and I know some of you are right ... when you're not looking that's when it happens ... just miss it sometimes. Anyways ... I'm sure I'll get over it!:)
    Thanks again to all of you who took the time to reply.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

Well I'm not looking and I have done plenty of extra curricular activites such as Art, Psychology, First Aid and Volunteering and I certainly see little to no men at all. In fact for all of those activities there has only been 1 man to 12 Women approx. I think all the men are at home watching telly/internet and moaning that they can't get their hole.

Check out the Stickied thread here and in the Beer guts forum about our night out next Friday ;) all welcome.

That She-ra signpost thingy is class Windsock!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

Ta, courtesy of MonkeyFace. He gave me a few more to use, I'll stick them in a thread if anyone else wants to use them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,497 ✭✭✭✭Dragan

fits wrote: »
    Me neither! Its the last place I would think about meeting someone. everyone's sweaty and red... although I dont like gyms much anyway which doesnt help I suppose.

Indeed, the last thing you want to be in the presence of someone you are attracted to is sweaty and red.

People just limit themselves because they are afraid to approach people in odd circumstances. Only yesterday a girl walking past me in the street asked for my number.

Did i give it to her? Hell yes i did, she had the courage to ask for it.....besides, she got to the question just a second before i could ask her!

My point is that i see a lot of girls ( and guys ) complaining about never really meeting people and if you dig deep enough it turns out they never really try any thing new or take a bit of a risk.

Dragan wrote: »
    Only yesterday a girl walking past me in the street asked for my number.

Did i give it to her? Hell yes i did, she had the courage to ask for it.....besides, she got to the question just a second before i could ask her!

High Five!
    Dragan wrote: »
    My point is that i see a lot of girls ( and guys ) complaining about never really meeting people and if you dig deep enough it turns out they never really try any thing new or take a bit of a risk.

True. Even when people go to these classes they don't ask people out. I'm not saying it's easy, it's not in the slightest, but nothing ventured nothing gained.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,497 ✭✭✭✭Dragan

aye wrote: »
    High Five!

True. Even when people go to these classes they don't ask people out. I'm not saying it's easy, it's not in the slightest, but nothing ventured nothing gained.

Cheers!

And it's not even asking people out, it just being social and nice!

I mean, there was a thread here not to long ago about girls approaching guys and lots of girls said they would not do it. Then we have one or two threads about it being hard to meet guys.

In my opinion, the rock cannot complain about the waves that crash against it.

Advertisement