Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ski resort over New Years ?

• 26-03-2008 1:16pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8

Hi

A group of us would like to go skiing over New Years. Alot of us are concerened about the crowds at this time of year, just wondering can anyone recommend a location that wouldn't be as packed as others? is this possible!
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,602 ✭✭✭ShayK1

funny, I just had this conversation with my sister on sunday. We're thinking of heading to the snow for New Years too. I suggested Oberstdorf in germany because I know it and its beginner friendly but I'll definitely be watching this thread closely for other options :D

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,118 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Probably going to be busy everywhere, and more expensive as well. Although depending on how many people are out drinking then the slopes may be a bit emptier than usual in the mornings. I was in Zermatt this year the week after New Year, but the resort was packed with rich Russians due to it being their Christmas and New Year that week and although some of the lifts were a bit busy going up in the mornings the slopes were actually relatively empty during the week.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,240 ✭✭✭tywy

I know I always plug Livingo but we were there over New Years a few years ago and it was great.

The other thing about Livingo is that they don't have enough holiday beds in the town for the place to feel busy so there weren't many queues other than for the first gondolas which is always the case.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 donnaghc

Thanks Tywy

We've been to Livingo twice now already, fantastic resort, the transfere is a bit of a bitch though. We'd love to go somewhere different this year, we were thinkin Austria, so many resorts to choose from though!

• Registered Users Posts: 24 smcnena

Hello,

A few of us are planning a New Years trip as well. I agree, the transfer to Livingo is horrible. Was in Les Arcs this year the week after Christmas and it was full of Russians. Some of them were alright but most of them were dicks. Slopes weren't too packed but our instructor was telling me that when the schools are closed it gets too busy.
    We are also looking at Austria too but don't know where to go. Would like to go to a ski in ski out:) resort with a short transfer time. But like the previous member said it will be busy and expensive.
    Has anyone got experience of a New Year ski holiday?
    I don't fancy doing too much waiting around in long queues, especially if I am going to be paying more money.

Any suggestions????

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,240 ✭✭✭tywy

I was in Val Thorens this year too, 3rd week in January. Our apartment was literally on the slopes. Check out this picture for proximity to the slopes.

2364482127_1cb1927a33.jpg?v=0

We went solo, Ryanair flight to Grenoble etc. If you're interested PM me and I'll give you all the details. Val Thorens has some fantastic skiing and the 3 Vallées were amazing.

Edit: Transfer ~2.5hrs from Grenoble.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,775 ✭✭✭EileenG

For that week, you might be better going to the smaller resorts that aren't as well known. We regularly ski at Val Cenis that week (great for beginners, intermediates and mixed groups) and it is not crowded. They tend to put on lots of fireworks shows and have music with free vin chaud etc as well.

Ok, there are more people there at New Years, than the following week, but the max queue for a lift is around 10 minutes for the main telecabine, and the rest are less.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 kidflan07

Go to Granada. Its never packed over new years. Sierra Nervada. You have the delights of this fab city too at your fingertips.

Advertisement