Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Bodega

Options
  • 26-03-2008 1:30pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 992 ✭✭✭

€15 in the other night.

Are they taking the p"ss!

Rumours it's being turned back into a bar and they are cashing in now before that happens?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,172 ✭✭✭shnaek

Just shows what a shortage of clubs there is in Cork when Bodega can charge 15 yoyos!
    Yeah - I heard that it has been bought and is going to be changed back to a pub again.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,033 ✭✭✭who_ru

charging 15 euro is one thing, paying it is another

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭RoundyMooney

€15! :eek:

That's unreal...

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭Kold

What exactly did €15 get you? How the hell do they justify that?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

When did the Bodega stop being a bar?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,708 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tree

sometime last year it stopped opening for a while, dunno when it started opening again

• Registered Users Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭Donie75

I heard the guys who own Crane Lane bought it and are turning it back into a bar.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,430 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

OP did you pay €15?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 992 ✭✭✭kcb

Kold wrote: »
    What exactly did €15 get you?

The chance to pay €5 for a pint and hang with the cool kids!

• Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭corkgal1981

I for one would be absolutely ecstatic if they they turned it back into a bar! It would have to be like the old Bodega though! I think we have enough poser bars in Cork!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,172 ✭✭✭shnaek

Hear hear. I always liked the place. But Cork badly needs a few decent clubs, and some that stay open as late as the clubs in Dublin. I mean, it's a bad reflection on the second city of a country when clubs in towns like Tralee stay open an hour later than clubs in Cork.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,495 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

I for one would be absolutely ecstatic if they they turned it back into a bar! It would have to be like the old Bodega though! I think we have enough poser bars in Cork!

To be fair, the old Bodega was up there for the title of 'Biggest poser bar in Cork'.

I was in the Quad last Friday and counted 4 people wearing sunglasses, INDOORS, AT NIGHT! R there no respectable grotty little pubs left in the city?!! Does anybody miss the old Brog? Youo know, when it was tiny and had an upstairs and played decent music.

• Site Banned Posts: 5,676 ✭✭✭jayteecork

Brog never had an upstairs. The jacks were upstairs, that was all.

The Hairy Lemon had an upstairs of sorts, there was no bar up there but a few tables and chairs.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭wheresmybeaver

The mutton lane is nice, and tiny too, wouldn't describe it as grotty but still nice. If you look carefully you'll spot one or two refugee employees from the lovely Brog of yesteryear.

I was in plato murphys for the first time a few weeks ago. Good god. Then €15 to get into cubins upstairs. Hilarious.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

Plato Murphy's - my heart goes out to you. It really does. :)

Yeah, I go to the Mutton Lane fairly often - really like it. Tom Barrys is a favourite of mine - pity it's not in the centre of town but Barrack Street... well you'd get over it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,660 ✭✭✭Blitzkrieger

shnaek wrote: »
    Just shows what a shortage of clubs there is in Cork when Bodega can charge 15 yoyos!

When you see a queue a mile long outside Redz it's proof positive that there's no decent night life in this city. If people will queue to go into that god-awful hole.......

When you see a queue a mile long outside Redz it's proof positive that there's no decent night life in this city.

don't think it's necesarilly "proof positive" that there are no decent "night spots" in Cork but certainly proof positive that people are, for the most part, morons.

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭Philush

the pavilion is open again so thats a new spot to try, the crane lane is always good for a crowd i find.but a decent club is lacking really, mutton lane is always good alright, and sin e, anything run by benny mc cabe is good really, slainte beside burgerr king is good on the weekends, they're gettin more n more bands an djs in too, think they're startin a kinda jazz type session on a sunday now too.thay stay open fairly late too. just pity couldnt get good bars like them with late licenses

jayteecork wrote: »
    don't think it's necesarilly "proof positive" that there are no decent "night spots" in Cork but certainly proof positive that people are, for the most part, morons.

Or underage/scummy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 776 ✭✭✭Judes

It's always about decent "bars" I'd kill for some decent late night "café/coffee bars. It would be nice to meet friends for a "coffee" vs "alcohol" - I'm just so sick of pubs.

Ya, that would be brilliant!! Tribes is still there, havent been there in years but doubt its the same as it was years ago. The lack of late night cafes isnt just a problem in Cork but a problem in Ireland. Even if there was a late night cafe I think people would think it was odd to go for coffee at night!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,430 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

After living in Dublin ages ago and a mate still lives there it is sad to see how bad Cork is for Clubs. I mean if we are looking to Dublin for quality clubs then we are in serious dire need!
    Cork seems to be too preoccupied with just selling massive amounts of booze to the punters but sure there is obviously a market for that...people should vote with their feet, don't go out until a decent club is opened!

It's time to go back to the warehouses of the '80s and '90s I fear :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,375 ✭✭✭kmick

To be honest lads there is as many bad clubs in Dublin as there is in Cork and I am saying that from a perspective of 10 years in each going out. There is just more choice in Dublin. So for example if someone starts a scene like a heavy drum and bass night you find that the number of people who like heavy drum and bass are very limited and so you cant maintain a crowd. That said cork nightclubs do tend to be soulless places in general. The half moon club tried hard but the venue was too poky and the crowd was too pretentious to have any fun plus it was too expensive.

Most places are too expensive in Cork. Does anyone ever go to the Oval? I've been there a few times and always had a good time there. That place across from the brewery that used to be Kennedys is alright now too.

The Oval is alright but it has gone very expensive due to Benny McCabe's pricing policies.

Used be a lot better back in the day - From 4-8 pints were 2.40 during happy hour.

kmick wrote: »
    To be honest lads there is as many bad clubs in Dublin as there is in Cork and I am saying that from a perspective of 10 years in each going out. There is just more choice in Dublin. So for example if someone starts a scene like a heavy drum and bass night you find that the number of people who like heavy drum and bass are very limited and so you cant maintain a crowd. That said cork nightclubs do tend to be soulless places in general. The half moon club tried hard but the venue was too poky and the crowd was too pretentious to have any fun plus it was too expensive.

Liquid Lounge is good for that kinda stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,660 ✭✭✭Blitzkrieger

I got thrown out of there once 'cos I couldn't find where the ****ing exit was!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

jayteecork wrote: »
    Brog never had an upstairs. The jacks were upstairs, that was all.

The Brog did have an upstairs, it was just not open that often. I've been up there a good few times. It's Gorby's now, afaik.

• Advertisement

Faith wrote: »
    The Brog did have an upstairs, it was just not open that often. I've been up there a good few times. It's Gorby's now, afaik.

No way.
    Gorby's has been Gorby's since the 1980s.
    Brog never had an upstairs.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement