Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Bodega

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,070 ✭✭✭✭pq0n1ct4ve8zf5

I end up in the Old Bar in UCC depressingly often...it's grand, bit studenty for some reason! Apart from that Liquid Lounge, Sober Lane, or the Rock just coz it's such an oldman pub and I enjoy the weird looks I get. Where's mutton lane, I know I've walked past it loadsa times

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

jayteecork wrote: »
    No way.
    Gorby's has been Gorby's since the 1980s.
    Brog never had an upstairs.

No... Gorby's was closed for a long time. The Brog had an upstairs.
    Where's mutton lane, I know I've walked past it loadsa times

Off Patrick's Street, I think, in by the English Market.

• Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭corkgal1981

Gorbys and The Brog are owned by the same group of owners. Upstairs of Brog was rarely used but there was indeed an upstairs. Yes, the toilets were upstairs too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,070 ✭✭✭✭pq0n1ct4ve8zf5

Faith wrote: »

Off Patrick's Street, I think, in by the English Market.

Thanks!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 938 ✭✭✭chuci

the brog did have an upstairs when gorbys was closed when they were moving the place around they used have trad sessions there on a monday night i think it was.mutton lane is a good spot to to have a few to start the night off. the slate is good too but only when the bouncer with common sense is on and doesnt enforce the over 23's crap. tribes is good for the late night coffee though you really cant have a drop of drink inside you to be let in. i still like nancy spains even if it is out a bit and has gotten smaller the atmosphere when there is a band on is quite good and when the weather is nice the beer garden is great. the quad is full of posers these days so is the crane lane. cork needs a good non scummy some what alternative night club to revamp the place. yay that the bodega might be turned back into a bar though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 345 ✭✭Pat McGhee

kmick wrote: »
    To be honest lads there is as many bad clubs in Dublin as there is in Cork and I am saying that from a perspective of 10 years in each going out. There is just more choice in Dublin. So for example if someone starts a scene like a heavy drum and bass night you find that the number of people who like heavy drum and bass are very limited and so you cant maintain a crowd. That said cork nightclubs do tend to be soulless places in general. The half moon club tried hard but the venue was too poky and the crowd was too pretentious to have any fun plus it was too expensive.

The last time I honestly enjoyed going out in Cork was when the half moon held 4Play on Sunday nights. Raymond & KC dished out an endless supply of excellent, funky house, the crowd was always easy-going & happy, the dress code was whatever you were most comfortable in & the people just enjoyed themselves, no sh*t whatsoever.

I've more or less stopped going clubbing since that night was shut down, the nightlife in Cork is just not worth the effort.

• Registered Users Posts: 493 ✭✭patbundy

any one know the baldy barman in the bodega

• Site Banned Posts: 5,676 ✭✭✭jayteecork

When Benny McCabe takes over the Bodega I really hope he goes for a new look.
    that bloody "candles in Jack Daniels bottles" things is really starting to annoy me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,149 ✭✭✭J.S. Pill

???

• Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭StandnDeliver

the crannog was on the english market entrance,the crannog had an upstairs didnt it?maybe they were linked?I never remember upstairs room in brog.:confused:

im looking forward to checking out the pavillion it looks nice inside

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,716 ✭✭✭Balmed Out

Brog used to be 3 pubs, the crannog, the brog and the hairy lemon. The hairy lemon had an upstairs which up till a year ago anyhow was still there in the new brog. Its very small though.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭Kold

im looking forward to checking out the pavillion it looks nice inside

Where's the Pavillion?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,329 ✭✭✭radiospan

Down Carey's Lane (between Patrick's Street and Paul St. Shopping Centre). Down a small bit from Mangans

• Registered Users Posts: 6,182 ✭✭✭Tiriel

Balmed Out wrote: »
    Brog used to be 3 pubs, the crannog, the brog and the hairy lemon. The hairy lemon had an upstairs which up till a year ago anyhow was still there in the new brog. Its very small though.

I couldn't remember what the name of the Crannog was - thank you!!! Oh memories are flooding back!! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 87 ✭✭gccorcaigh

I think the Classic is just about the only decent nightclub left in Cork. The bar is good too. Went into the Bodhran on a Saturday night lately and there waS a great buzz in there.

• Registered Users Posts: 510 ✭✭✭serjical_strike

No way.
    Gorby's has been Gorby's since the 1980s.

the brog did have an upstairs since i distinctly remember being drunk up there a few times and gorbys hasnt been gorbys since the 80 since it was closed for years and the qube was there then the qube closed and G2(gorbys 2) opened up again about 2 years ago to cater to all the kiddies drinking in town and selling cheap vodka..

i think the slate and the oval are good enough bars for a few early drinks and the bodhran is always good on the weekend, a lot of tourists go in there since it has an irish name so the crowd is always different, the crane lane is ok too i think.. and cant beat the old reliable brog for a few even though the music as someone said has gone ****e..

• Registered Users Posts: 6,495 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

the brog did have an upstairs since i distinctly remember being drunk up there a few times and gorbys hasnt been gorbys since the 80 since it was closed for years and the qube was there then the qube closed and G2(gorbys 2) opened up again about 2 years ago to cater to all the kiddies drinking in town and selling cheap vodka..

You were drunk in the jacks so. The toilets were the only thing that were upstairs in An Brog. The Hairy Lemon, which was next-door, did have an upstairs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

Upstairs in The Brog was where the Hairy Lemon was. It is gone now. the hairy Lemon was part of the Brog, while The Crannog still existed.
    gccorcaigh wrote: »
    I think the Classic is just about the only decent nightclub left in Cork. The bar is good too.

Each to their own and all that, but what seperates the Classic from the likes of Havannas and Gorbys and Cubins? Each to their own and all that, but they are all the exact same musicwise, all have overpriced bars and all are over crowded. The bar is the exact same as any other poser "disco bar" as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 592 ✭✭✭Corcaigh84

You were drunk in the jacks so. The toilets were the only thing that were upstairs in An Brog. The Hairy Lemon, which was next-door, did have an upstairs.

Incorrect.

Bróg had an L-shaped room with a small bar in it, this room used to be behind the double doors at the top of the stairs (these days) when you go to the jacks.
    It was formerly the upstairs of the Hairy Lemon.

thefloss wrote: »
    Incorrect.

Bróg had an L-shaped room with a small bar in it, this room used to be behind the double doors at the top of the stairs (these days) when you go to the jacks.

Sorry but I don't follow. What years are you talking about?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭growler

the Brog did have a small upstairs bar for a while , used to occassionally venture in there, it did dissappear after a while.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,982 ✭✭✭Cool_CM

Sorry but I don't follow. What years are you talking about?
    Between when the Hairy Lemon became part of the Brog and about a year and a bit ago.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 992 ✭✭✭kcb

Incorrect.

I remember that too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,677 ✭✭✭staker

Went to get into the bodega after the marquee there a while back.
    €12 they wanted!!
    There were 8 of us, we told 'em shove it, and we weren't the only ones either:rolleyes:

That's takin the piss!!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,002 ✭✭✭opus

They are playing the game of making people queue even though it's half-empty inside as well, spotted that when a friend texted me from the queue. The 'old' Bodega did for a while when it was popular :rolleyes:

Cool_CM wrote: »
    Between when the Hairy Lemon became part of the Brog and about a year and a bit ago.

Well that explains that. I haven't been in there in about 6 years at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭Kold

Incorrect.

This is true.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 87 ✭✭gccorcaigh

opus wrote: »
    They are playing the game of making people queue even though it's half-empty inside as well, spotted that when a friend texted me from the queue. The 'old' Bodega did for a while when it was popular :rolleyes:

Haha don't you just hate it when bouncers do that! Very annoying. I actually remember them doing that in the 'old' Bodega myself....
    I thought the Bodega had become very popular again lately though?. Haven't been in there myself since it was re-opened, but I have heard a lot of people talking about it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

They literally closed the doors behind us saturday night, then started charging €15 after us. Personally I think its a load of bollocks, but when they have a €14m mortgage to be paying you can begin to understand :p

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 5,676 ✭✭✭jayteecork

Heard Benny McCabe spent half a million on chandeliers alone.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement