Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Bodega

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,495 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

jayteecork wrote: »
    Heard Benny McCabe spent half a million on chandeliers alone.

The new bodega really was at least 2 years too late to the party, the chandeliers cost (if true) are a perfect example of Celtic Tiger excess.

• Site Banned Posts: 5,676 ✭✭✭jayteecork

The new bodega really was at least 2 years to late to the party, the chandeliers cost (if true) are a perfect example of Celtic Tiger excess.

Heard he got them made by the same guy that did the ones for the White House.

Took workmen 2 weeks to put them up.(From what I heard)

• Registered Users Posts: 764 ✭✭✭Kazbah

I used to love the old Bodega. A lot of people said it was a place for posers. The problem is now it looks like a place for posers. The old style bar on the left IMHO does not match the Moroccan or whatever kind of a vibe they are creating with all the palm trees and work on the ceiling. I think they made the main area seem much smaller.

It's free in before 11 but they hold the queue coming up to 11 so you would want to be there at 10:45 at the latest if you don't fancy paying €15.

I loved the simplicity of the old place, now there's just too much going on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,588 ✭✭✭JP Liz

Isnt around €15 the normal price for most clubs in Cork on a sat night?

How much is Cubins/Gorbys/Havana etc?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 992 ✭✭✭kcb

JP Liz wrote: »
    Isnt around €15 the normal price for most clubs in Cork on a sat night?

How much is Cubins/Gorbys/Havana etc?

Ya €15

The thing to do is get in before 11. If you cant manage that then you cant really complain... every other place will be the same price

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34 Lee72

€10 in last night

Lee72 wrote: »
    €10 in last night

€10 on a Friday night, €15 on a Sat night I suppose

If they had any cop on they would undercut the opposition rather than just jumping on the Rip Off train

• Registered Users Posts: 510 ✭✭✭serjical_strike

thefloss wrote: »
    Incorrect.

Bróg had an L-shaped room with a small bar in it, this room used to be behind the double doors at the top of the stairs (these days) when you go to the jacks.
    It was formerly the upstairs of the Hairy Lemon.

yeah this is the place i was in, right at the top of the stairs and it was really small..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 210 ✭✭104494431

Stop talking about the f*ckin' Bróg! :p

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭Kold

Why the hell people would spend 15 euros for the privilege of buying expensive booze is beyond me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 764 ✭✭✭Kazbah

Well they;ve changed their tune.

There was a sign outside the Bodega today that said it is now free before 11:30 and after that €10 on a Friday and €12 on a Saturday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 Sulu

what is with the atrocious music and the sh1t dj's that they have in the Bodega??? The reason people think that the crowd is posery is because the music completely lacks atmosphere and fun. Those two dj's they have play nothing but rubbish that they like themselves and couldn't give a toss about the poor sods that have paid 15 euro to get in, which is really taking the piss. Its a shame as the interior is really nice. Cork is seriously lacking late night venues, and it would have been great to have had somewhere to go that had the music and the interior and the crowd, but as always in Cork - something has to be missing. I had friends down from the North with me in there and they could not believe the rubbish music they had on.

Also I don't drink beer but I have heard from avid beer drinkers who have been in there that the beer/stout is sh1t as well. So sh1t music, sh1t beer.

Sulu wrote: »
    what is with the atrocious music and the sh1t dj's that they have in the Bodega??? The reason people think that the crowd is posery is because the music completely lacks atmosphere and fun. .

I agree 100%

They will (Are) kill(ing) the place

• Closed Accounts Posts: 87 ✭✭gccorcaigh

gimmick wrote: »
    Upstairs in The Brog was where the Hairy Lemon was. It is gone now. the hairy Lemon was part of the Brog, while The Crannog still existed.

Each to their own and all that, but what seperates the Classic from the likes of Havannas and Gorbys and Cubins? Each to their own and all that, but they are all the exact same musicwise, all have overpriced bars and all are over crowded. The bar is the exact same as any other poser "disco bar" as well.

Cubins is full of scumbags
    Havanas can be good, but is a cattlemart on a Saturday night
    Gorbys is full of kids during the week - haven't tried it at the weekends though
    I dont think the classic is overcrowded - and I dont think its "posery" either. I like the music, i think there is a decent crowd in there - no fights- and I love the little cocktail bar inside the door on the left. Class.

I don't think Cubins is full of scumbags, that's a very narrow minded view. I don't go to Cubins as I'm 28 but years ago when I did go I found it fine. In fairness, there is F all posers in there. Also I never saw a fight in there.

RoverJames wrote: »
    I don't think Cubins is full of scumbags, that's a very narrow minded view. I don't go to Cubins as I'm 28 but years ago when I did go I found it fine. In fairness, there is F all posers in there. Also I never saw a fight in there.

Cubins is well known for the amount of fights in there every week. Ask any garda, and they will tell you. The amount of times Ive walked out of Havanas on a Friday or Saturday night and seen brawls going on outside Cubins is unreal. There are decent people going in there, and its good for a laugh sometimes, but any time I go in there, I end up watching my back. Too many fights and people getting started on others.

I couldn't disagree more to be honest. I find the rugby bugger poser type knob often found in Havanahs to be more inclined to start something.

I couldn't disagree more to be honest. I find the rugby bugger poser type knob often found in Havanahs to be more inclined to start something.

More assaults take place outside Cubins than outside any other nightclub in Cork. That fact speaks for itself. There have also been claims made against the bouncers there. Other nightclubs such as Fast Eddies and the Classic have never had a claim made against a bouncer.Anyway, I dont tend to drink in either Cubins or Havanas, I think the Classic has a much nicer crowd, no fights, and the bouncers are nice too, unlike other places..

Oh I agree that Havanas is full of posers by the way. Although apparently the Bodega has started attracting the posery crowd recently..

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭Kold

I went to Cubins once and it wasn't long before I wanted Cubout.

BAM.

Oh and there was a fight that night.

If ye don't feel comfortable in Cubins ye are probably the same folk who reckon that Cork is not a safe city to wander around at night :D

• Advertisement

If ye don't feel comfortable in Cubins ye are probably the same folk who reckon that Cork is not a safe city to wander around at night :D

Actually I have no problem walking around Cork at night, although I tend to avoid certain cab bases and one or two fast food restaurants as they seem a bit rough. How does someone thinking Cubins is dodgy mean that they think Cork City is an unsafe place?. Go ask the gardai about Cubins!.

gccorcaigh wrote: »
    ..............although I tend to avoid certain cab bases and one or two fast food restaurants as they seem a bit rough. How does someone thinking Cubins is dodgy mean that they think Cork City is an unsafe place?. Go ask the gardai about Cubins!.

Oh the irony :D

I have no intention of asking the Gardai about Cubins, I have been in there manies the time and have never seen a fight in there. Out of interest what fast food restaurants in Cork do you avoid because they seem rough ? Are you male or female by the way ?

Oh the irony :D

I have no intention of asking the Gardai about Cubins, I have been in there manies the time and have never seen a fight in there. Out of interest what fast food restaurants in Cork do you avoid because they seem rough ? Are you male or female by the way ?

Well you wouldnt like the answer they would give you. And whats ironic exactly?. I am female. I avoid Abracababra or whatever its called. I also avoid John Grace's. I've seen too many brawls in both of them to ever go in there at night. Like I said, I have no problem walking around Cork at night. But there are certain places where I will quicken my step as I pass them. Nothing wrong with that.

Fair enough if you are female, from one of you earlier posts I got the impression you were male :D
    I like to think the Gardai are not a shower of narrow minded stuck up sh1ts.

Fair enough if you are female, from one of you earlier posts I got the impression you were male :D
    I like to think the Gardai are not a shower of narrow minded stuck up sh1ts.

What gave you that impression exactly?? :cool:

As for the gardai, there are bad eggs in every profession. We'll all need the gardai when muggings and burglaries increase even further than they already have. Recessions always bring with them increased crime rates. I wonder how safe Cork will be this time next year...

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

gccorcaigh wrote: »
    Cubins is well known for the amount of fights in there every week. Ask any garda, and they will tell you. The amount of times Ive walked out of Havanas on a Friday or Saturday night and seen brawls going on outside Cubins is unreal. There are decent people going in there, and its good for a laugh sometimes, but any time I go in there, I end up watching my back. Too many fights and people getting started on others.

Surely thats fighting outside of Cubins. I have never seen any trouble in there.

I agree, fights outside could folks from Havannahs or Chambers or anywhere for that matter. Interestingly enough I was in there last night, no probs, except for one spastic that started talking to us for no reason, complementing a lady that was in our company on her appearance, then directing a comment to me and one of my friends that he doesn't want to upset us incase we give out in our "Ballincollig accents" :confused: WTF I am thinking is this pr1cks game, I ignored him but he continued, I pointed out that I was not from Ballincollig and asked him politely to f off. At this stage he starts blowing on about how he is from Inisscarra and was only being friendly and then he insisted on attempting to shake our hands and hug us etc etc. What a numpty. He mentioned that he played rugby too, very strange chap, I got the impression that him telling me he played rugby was somehow him trying to appear as a tough chap or something.

Well heeled folk can be just as troublesome as scum I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,716 ✭✭✭Balmed Out

so you dont like rugby then......

Strange thread on the bodega.
    I reckon its an ok pub now aimed at the mid 30's so very different market to cubins which apparently should have its own thread. Perhaps it could include a poll on fights in cubins between rugby player types.

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭Elevelyn

Is it true that the Bodega is now where Redz used to be? The worst worst nightclub in cork is mangins! what a sh1thole, im so sick of going out in cork, Havanas is crap. Sober lane is a nice pub imo but it gets packed.

Has anyone been to the everyman on a Friday or Saturday night? heard its good for a change.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭Hogzy

Elevelyn wrote: »
    Is it true that the Bodega is now where Redz used to be?

No!!!! Its across the road from TK Maxx, on the Coal Quay!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement