Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

"Your Collection" on Discogs

• 26-03-2008 2:29pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭

Has anybody added their collection on Discogs before? I'm doing it at the moment, but by Christ is it tedious.
    I have tonnes of vinyl and a lot of it I want to put into storage and just want to catalogue it before I do. Haven't even made a dent into it and seems to be taking ages. It's a great resource though.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

is there no way to use a hand scanner? like with books go in of the ibna number? is there anything similar for vinyl?

would save a lot of time

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

That's a good idea although someone would have to put the barcodes into a system first for it to work. I don't if such a system is out there but it's certainly doable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,373 ✭✭✭Executive Steve

i vaguely started doing it over at www.rolldabeats.com; it's a bit less tedious to do over there, but it only really focuses on the stuff i'd be into (jungle, dnb, dubstep etc)

i'll tell you what i'm dreading even more, digitising my records

snooooooore.....

i'll tell you what i'm dreading even more, digitising my records

snooooooore.....
    Haha. While I've been cataloguing my collection I've been listening to a lot of the older stuff (Ah Mammaries!) and was thinking about trying to record some but it'd just take forever. It wouldn't be worth the hassle, well certainly not for the stuff I haven't listened to in years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,373 ✭✭✭Executive Steve

Knowledge magazine have a regular "week in the life of..." feature where they get a DnB "celebrity" to write down what they get up for a week and print it... they did one on Kenny Ken (absolute bad man back in the early 90's) recently and it basically went like:
    monday: sit there for eight hours recording old tunes into my pc

tuesday: sit there for eight hours recording old tunes into my pc

wednesday: sit there for eight hours recording old tunes into my pc, record a two hour set for bbc 1xtra

thursday: sit there for eight hours recording old tunes into my pc, play two gigs

friday: sit there for eight hours recording old tunes into my pc, play three gigs

saturday: sit there for eight hours recording old tunes into my pc, play two gigs

sunday: walk the dog, play football in the park, go home and sit there for eight hours recording old tunes into my pc

i want to get rid of a rake of tunes, but i can't really until i know i have them backed up... they're just wasting space as it is...

• Advertisement

Haha! :D Lifestyles of the rich and famous!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,592 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Started doing it, did most of my CD singles, looked at the record crates... and gave up.

Its far worse when you find something not listed as you get a compulsion to add it - which is tedious in the highest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,958 ✭✭✭DJ_Spider

I have over 23,000 songs on my set up, but I still get asked for ones I don't have! I get the top 100 singles, top 50 Black charts, and the top 20 dance charts every week, but as they are the german ones, I don't always get the stuff released here. :( I just say I will get that one for next time, or yes I have it but it skips!

What service do you use to get that? (legally I do hope...). Could be damn useful, as the German charts often includes the kind of commercial dance I get asked to play and isn't generally available on CD in shops here; or DRM-free / above 128k on the legal download sites.

Theres some service in the UK that provides something along the lines of a "Now!" CD of upcoming commercial/pop stuff for the month but I can't for the life of my remember the name of it now. Generally need to have a Ltd. company to sign up for them though.

MYOB wrote: »
    Its far worse when you find something not listed as you get a compulsion to add it - which is tedious in the highest.
    Yeah I've only entered a few hundred so far and I've already got a small pile of tunes that are either not on Discogs or entered wrong.

DJ_Spider wrote: »
    I have over 23,000 songs on my set up, but I still get asked for ones I don't have! I get the top 100 singles, top 50 Black charts, and the top 20 dance charts every week, but as they are the german ones, I don't always get the stuff released here. :( I just say I will get that one for next time, or yes I have it but it skips!
    I'm sorry but what has that got to do with anything? And in particular the original topic.

• Advertisement

BaZmO* wrote: »
    Yeah I've only entered a few hundred so far and I've already got a small pile of tunes that are either not on Discogs or entered wrong.

Its worse when you can barely enter them at all - I've a few Defected promos here where the promo agency has slapped a big sticker over most of the track info and the cat# - I've been able to match them all up except one Junior Jack one, and I've a feeling it'll never be accepted if I submit it as is.

No cat# on the CD itself either.

BaZmO* wrote: »
    I'm sorry but what has that got to do with anything? And in particular the original topic.

Sorry was posting in a hurry! I meant to add it would take me forever to list all my songs. Seeing as I have some of the songs in multiple folders, I usually just make a CSV or TXT file of my songs. Yes some songs are listed more than once, but at least people get the idea if they want a list.

• Subscribers Posts: 8,322 ✭✭✭Scubadevils

I started adding to discogs over three years ago and still nowhere near done, it is very tedious. I now add straight away when I buy any new music and chip away at the collection when I get time.

It is a great site though and I would be lost without it.

DJ_Spider wrote: »
    Sorry was posting in a hurry! I meant to add it would take me forever to list all my songs. Seeing as I have some of the songs in multiple folders, I usually just make a CSV or TXT file of my songs. Yes some songs are listed more than once, but at least people get the idea if they want a list.
    Fair enough. Although you're a digital DJ so I don't see the point of adding an MP3 collection to the site.

I know I was saying it's easier with MP3s! LOL But I still had to rip all my CDs originally. I still have them upstairs, but now just download the MP3 directly. :cool:

Not sure you're getting the topic of the thread, really. This refers to recording your collection of physical media on discogs.com - literally ticking each disc off.

Advertisement