Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Speeding Cameras & Speeding Guns

Options
  • 26-03-2008 2:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9,798 ✭✭✭

Hi there,

I was out driving long distances over the bank holiday weekend and met a fair few guard out with speeding checks, and kudos to them.

I was wondering though if they have to pull you over to issue a ticket or can they issue on back of the camera's. One checkpoint was a hand-held device and another seemed to have a camera on a tripod.

Anyone know?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 78,422 ✭✭✭✭Victor

They don't have to legally, but sometimes will.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,314 ✭✭✭Marcus.Aurelius

Because the laser gun (handheld) is very sensitive to movement, it can be difficult to get a reading. Because of this, the tripod is used to get better readings more quickly. The device cannot take a photo, you have to be stopped by the member in question, and your details taken.

Where you see a GATSO van or Speed Camera (Fixed) you will receive a fine in the post with a picture of the front of your car (GATSO van) or the rear of your car (Speed Camera (Fixed))

Hope this is of some help.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,271 ✭✭✭banchang

The device cannot take a photo, you have to be stopped by the member in question, and your details taken..

how can they stop you if you have sped past at 120kph ??:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 24,508 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

banchang wrote: »

the laser is aimed several hunderd metres down the road so they have time to catch you and then move out onto the road to flag you down.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭Martron

well what happens if you just drive by even with them flagging you down? i saw an old man just ignoring a garda even when she knocked on the window and he just drove off and she started laughing. now if i did that i would get spike stripped and pulled out of the car.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,314 ✭✭✭Marcus.Aurelius

banchang wrote: »

In Traffic Corps in the country, we chase them. Ford Mondeo 2.0 can do 190-210 kph no problem. The bigger engines are better again.

That being said, if they're far enough away, we can just signal them to stop as they approach us. Chasing is more dangerous, but again, depends on the road conditions etc.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,510 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

Arnt I right in thinking that some of the tripods have cameras on them now?

Advertisement